Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Schools need income diversity, not more money
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
http://www.realclearpolicy.com/articles/...10331.html

Some politically incorrect discussion on how income levels and spending habits impact poor education in the inner cities.
08-22-2017 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dragonlair2.0 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB
That was a good article.

Thanks for sharing.

It brings up a lot of good points about the spending mentality within poorer black community.
08-22-2017 03:39 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
RE: Schools need income diversity, not more money
They bring up a very good point about the breakdown of the family structure in the black community, and addressing the violent crime in black neighborhoods. Of course those 2 issues are directly linked to the decades long war on drugs and until that is seriously addressed those issues are probably not improving.
08-22-2017 03:53 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(08-22-2017 03:39 PM)Dragonlair2.0 Wrote:  That was a good article.

Thanks for sharing.

It brings up a lot of good points about the spending mentality within poorer black community.

There was a National Geographic article on hunger in America. It brought up the same topic of spending choices on food. It gave the example of stopping at a fast food place for fried chicken instead of buying and cooking yourself.
08-22-2017 04:44 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(08-22-2017 03:53 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  They bring up a very good point about the breakdown of the family structure in the black community, and addressing the violent crime in black neighborhoods. Of course those 2 issues are directly linked to the decades long war on drugs and until that is seriously addressed those issues are probably not improving.

The creation of the welfare society (get money for baby and not be married and much more) and desegregation, civil rights legislation also. Feminism and no more bastard baby shaming. Black Americans had a higher marriage rate than whites up to about 1970. Not locking up people for selling drugs isn't going away.
08-22-2017 05:21 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
so let's just cut to the chase.....

the resolution:

1. create incentive....how?

2. revise the thought that 'everyone is created equal'.....simply b/c they are not

3. develop a tiered systemic training/educational system coupled with combining current/future economics that MAY possibly provide value added USD opportunity to those with or without....

my macro two cents that I'm tired of repeating....

awwwwww, fk it......lets just stay on the same path to destruction.....\
08-22-2017 05:46 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

Teach family finance as a mandatory course in high school and cover in it middle school as well.
08-23-2017 06:58 AM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-23-2017 06:58 AM)bullet Wrote:  Teach family finance as a mandatory course in high school and cover in it middle school as well.

Doesn't do any good if they don't pay attention or if they still try to show off with new Jordans.
08-23-2017 07:07 AM
stinkfist Online

(08-23-2017 06:58 AM)bullet Wrote:  Teach family finance as a mandatory course in high school and cover in it middle school as well.

that's a start to the path of guidance....

unfortunately, the 'heads' would most likely deem that as racist in today's world....

fiscal responsibility should be taught from day one.....let the student decide if there is interest there.....he'll figure out quickly (as will the educators) if he's interested/equipped to handle the material....

the USD is our country's greatest asset.....why we continue to ignore such at the earliest level of education is beyond me....
08-23-2017 07:07 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-22-2017 05:46 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  so let's just cut to the chase.....

the resolution:

2. revise the thought that 'everyone is created equal'.....simply b/c they are not

3. develop a tiered systemic training/educational system coupled with combining current/future economics that MAY possibly provide value added USD opportunity to those with or without....

Absolutely correct.

Those that work should always be better off than those that don't. The current welfare system we have set-up doesn't make this the case.

Vocational schools should be the largest and have the most students......only 30% of people get a college degree, but our school systems "prepare" all for this path - what about the 70% that don't get a college degree, what skills have we taught them??
08-23-2017 07:10 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
When did they stop teaching this? It was mandatory at my school. It included balancing a check book, bills word problems, basic family planning type of stuff, etc. We called it Home Ec.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
08-23-2017 07:13 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(08-23-2017 07:10 AM)Crebman Wrote:  

the resolution:

Absolutely correct.

Those that work should always be better off than those that don't. The current welfare system we have set-up doesn't make this the case.

Vocational schools should be the largest and have the most students......only 30% of people get a college degree, but our school systems "prepare" all for this path - what about the 70% that don't get a college degree, what skills have we taught them??

it's staring us in the face.....just like the swamp.....

implementing those 'attitudes' would provide a better path to self worth regardless of the path chosen....

what we are doing today is bass-fkn-ackwards....
08-23-2017 07:15 AM
stinkfist Online

(08-23-2017 07:13 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  
When did they stop teaching this? It was mandatory at my school. It included balancing a check book, bills word problems, basic family planning type of stuff, etc. We called it Home Ec.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app

back in my day, 'home ec' was an elective in the 'sip.....go figure 03-wink
08-23-2017 07:17 AM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(08-23-2017 07:15 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(08-23-2017 07:10 AM)Crebman Wrote:  

the resolution:

Absolutely correct.

it's staring us in the face.....just like the swamp.....

implementing those 'attitudes' would provide a better path to self worth regardless of the path chosen....

what we are doing today is bass-fkn-ackwards....

Yep, and those that shine in their trades can later go onto business school and wind up making a lot more money than their college educated brethren that are pushing paper for a big corporation.
08-23-2017 07:23 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(08-22-2017 02:55 PM)bullet Wrote:  http://www.realclearpolicy.com/articles/...10331.html

Some politically incorrect discussion on how income levels and spending habits impact poor education in the inner cities.

The article IMO makes an assumption that higher income will lead to less anti-social behavior showing up in the classroom. But if you look at the test scores of Prince Georges and DeKalb Counties, which are ranked 1 and 2 for black income in the US, you will see that such a correlation doesn't hold true. You have to lock down that retrograde culture as well to truly get the best results.
08-23-2017 12:56 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
Based on the article there is quite a bit to address. This post is long enough so I've divided it into two.

PART I

From the article:

Quote:When low-income minority children can attend truly integrated schools, their achievement rises, not because black children need to sit next to white children to succeed, but because integrated schools are not overwhelmed with children’s social and economic problems and can instead focus on instruction.

I have been researching education issues for a few years now beginning when Common Core State Standards began to make the news. That research drove me back to various UN efforts to standardize education on a global scale dating back a few decades.

While researching I looked at a few school districts in West Tennessee (where I live) as well as a few other districts across the state. At the time TN had around 107 school districts across 95 counties.

Shelby County had two districts:
1. Memphis City Schools (MCS)
2. Shelby County Schools (SCS)

MCS covered the city of Memphis and had roughly 110,000 students while SCS covered all areas in Shelby County outside of the Memphis city limits. SCS enrollment was around 45,000.

Fayette County neighbors Shelby County (Memphis) to the east. The counties are roughly geographically the same size yet Fayette County has 5% of the population -- 39,000 vs 940,000.

Fayette County Schools (FCS) enrolls 3,550 students, a fraction of MCS. However, both school systems are similar in that their student body is greater than 50% minority.

The budget for both systems came out to roughly $11,000 per student per academic year.

Both systems -- MCS and FCS -- rank near the bottom of the state in the various areas of measure (graduation rate, grades, etc).

Other systems ranked much higher and had lower funding per student. For example, Shelby County Schools had a student body that was a majority white with per student funding around $8,500 and ranked among the best in the state.

Each state is responsible for education and establishes school districts to be administered at the local level. Even so, the district answers to the state.

In TN, school funding is composed of (in order):
1. State dollars
2. Local dollars
3. Federal dollars

What I found interesting is that federal dollars make up the SMALLEST portion of the budget -- usually less than 10% of the overall budget. In some districts such as MCS and FCS it is slightly higher.

NOTE: The Memphis City Schools school district no longer exists. It gave up its charter and became part of Shelby County Schools. That district went from an enrollment of approximately 45,000 to over 150,000 over night.

The last MSC budget was $980M -- nearly ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

The largest expense line item? Wages and Salaries.

Add to that the line item of Employee Benefits and nearly 80% of the budget went to employee compensation or somewhere close to $765M.

The remaining $215M is allocated to facilities (building and land), buses (gas, maintenance), grounds (campus upkeep), etc.

When it gets down to it, very little is left to spend on direct student costs. This explains why teachers ask parents to send classroom supplies like pens, pencils, paper, etc.

Keep in mind that other school districts in the state with less minority enrollment AND less funding per student traditionally perform at a higher academic level.

We can see with direct evidence that increased funding per student does NOT result in increased academic performance.

This is one reason why I oppose increasing taxes for schools -- more $$$ does not equal better performance.
08-23-2017 04:22 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(08-23-2017 12:56 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(08-22-2017 02:55 PM)bullet Wrote:  http://www.realclearpolicy.com/articles/...10331.html

The article IMO makes an assumption that higher income will lead to less anti-social behavior showing up in the classroom. But if you look at the test scores of Prince Georges and DeKalb Counties, which are ranked 1 and 2 for black income in the US, you will see that such a correlation doesn't hold true. You have to lock down that retrograde culture as well to truly get the best results.

If you are talking about DeKalb County, Georgia, the poverty is concentrated.
08-23-2017 04:49 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
PART II

The article mentions a strategy supported by the left that may have negative consequences.

Quote:Many liberals point to discriminatory housing policies that limit the ability of black families to move to middle-class, predominately white communities. Consequently, they propose that governments demand these communities build more affordable housing. While these policies are well-meaning, they will not reduce the high concentration of poor African Americans in high-poverty neighborhoods and, indeed, may even worsen the problem.

In the mid-1970s a test program called the Gautreaux Program was implemented in Chicago. The program moved people out of the projects into the suburbs. The people participating in the program went through rigorous screening and had to meet specific conditions along the way. If the conditions were not met they were removed from the program.

The results: family income increased, graduation rates increased, etc.

Memphis was one a few cities which jumped on the Gautreaux program -- with a twist. That twist? Memphis didn't screen participants and monitor their progress.

American Murder Mystery
The Atlantic
July/August 2008

The article linked above details how Memphis began shutting down various housing projects across the city.

Rather than using Section 8 $$$ to build and maintain housing projects they gave vouchers to people. These vouchers are used to pay rent/mortgage anywhere in the area.

The article is lengthy and very detailed. It explains why crimes rates exploded across the region in areas where crime had traditionally been low.

The article also explains other unintended consequences such as the increase in infant mortality.

The article linked in the original post ends stating:

Quote:the government should focus on curbing violent crime so that poor black neighborhoods can become attractive to middle-class families.

This may very well be true. But what are effective means to reduce violent crime?

Increased police presence? More income to families?

Larry Elder spells it out in this interview with Dave Rubin. He gets to the root of the issues at 6:10 in the clip.

The devastating impact the War on Poverty, i.e. the Welfare State has had on the disruption of the nuclear family is undeniable and unfortunate.

BTW, the Elder video linked above is an 8 minute outtake of an interview that ran an hour.
08-23-2017 05:25 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(08-23-2017 04:49 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-23-2017 12:56 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

If you are talking about DeKalb County, Georgia, the poverty is concentrated.

I am talking about DeKalb County, GA and the low income residence are more dispersed than say Clayton County, GA.
08-24-2017 07:25 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(08-22-2017 04:44 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-22-2017 03:39 PM)Dragonlair2.0 Wrote:  That was a good article.

Thanks for sharing.

There was a National Geographic article on hunger in America. It brought up the same topic of spending choices on food. It gave the example of stopping at a fast food place for fried chicken instead of buying and cooking yourself.

A better argument is about buying a rotisserie chicken at WalMart for $4.98. 2 wings, legs, thighs and breasts... 8 pieces of low fat chicken for $5. KFC has 6 fried pieces for $10, or more popular is a single fried chicken breast, a cookie, mashed potatoes and gravy and a coke for $5. Not only is it more expensive, it's much higher in 'things that make you fat'

If you MUST have the cookies, WalMart sells 3 for 0.98 by the front door and their coke machines cost 25 cents i think for their versions of 'coke'. Buy the diet version or just drink water. They have flavored waters for 50 cents

So... for the $10 you'd spend on 6 pieces of KFC with no sides or anything, you can get a whole chicken.... 6 cookies... and a bag of carrots, sugar snap peas or veggie stix. You can feed at least 3 people on that. 3 KFC 'meals' would have probably double the calories, but half the nutritional value and cost at least 50% more.

and you didn't cook a thing
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2017 12:57 PM by Hambone10.)
08-24-2017 11:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.