USA Today: Toledo Looks Like Class of Mid American Conference
08-17-2017 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rocketpaul Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: USA Today: Toledo Looks Like Class of Mid American Conference
They got the Best Running back group wrong while Westerns is very good I will take the Rockets running backs especially if you go past 2 deep.
08-17-2017 06:28 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-17-2017 06:28 PM)rocketpaul Wrote:  They got the Best Running back group wrong while Westerns is very good I will take the Rockets running backs especially if you go past 2 deep.

The thing that will make a difference is the OL of WMU vs. that of Toledo. Those WMU backs will be running behind what should be a better O-line. The offset is how good the QB will be at WMU. If he cannot consistently move the ball through the air when needed, teams will stack the defense against the run. Toledo will open the running game up with their air attack - and they will need to have a capable tight end stepping up to make defending them even more difficult. It also means the UT O-line will need to pass block very well - and be able to do a better job of opening holes for short gains on the ground in 3rd and short situations - that become 4th and short too often recently.
08-18-2017 06:20 AM
tayle's mullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
I've seen WMU's RB group ranked anywhere from 5th to 9th in the nation this preseason. The top two guys will be high draft picks, backed up by the speedster Bellamy and bowling-ball Tucker, who also have extensive game experience. Then you have the 6-2 235 lbs speedster named Matt Falcon entering the mix this year as well. A 4-star recruit that Harbaugh gave up on at Michigan when he tore an ACL. He's 100-percent now after taking a year off and hungry. If WMU just gets average results out of the QB position to keep defenses honest, their ground attack should again be lethal.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017 05:43 PM by tayle's mullet.)
08-18-2017 05:32 PM
Advertisement

TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I don't disagree with WMU RB's ranking higher than ours. They have two proven backs...we have Swanson and a lot of potential.
08-19-2017 08:14 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(08-18-2017 05:32 PM)tayles mullet Wrote:  I've seen WMU's RB group ranked anywhere from 5th to 9th in the nation this preseason. The top two guys will be high draft picks, backed up by the speedster Bellamy and bowling-ball Tucker, who also have extensive game experience. Then you have the 6-2 235 lbs speedster named Matt Falcon entering the mix this year as well. A 4-star recruit that Harbaugh gave up on at Michigan when he tore an ACL. He's 100-percent now after taking a year off and hungry. If WMU just gets average results out of the QB position to keep defenses honest, their ground attack should again be lethal.

While Western and Toledo certainly have a case for best backfield, completely overlooked in that department is NIU's. After leading the MAC in yds/game on the ground last season, they come into 2017 with more talent and give full-time duties over to Jordan Huff and his career 6.9 yds/carry. Behind him are guys like:
Tre Harbison .8649(247)
Tommy Mister .8569
Plus their O-line is ranked at one or two in the MAC. Much like Western, QB concerns will mean an even greater commitment to the run.
08-21-2017 09:43 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
Toledo has, and always will be the class of the MAC...
Winning a championship now and then will help support that claim... 04-cheers
08-21-2017 06:33 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(08-21-2017 06:33 PM)FMRocket Wrote:  Toledo has, and always will be the class of the MAC...
Winning a championship now and then will help support that claim... 04-cheers

04-bow
08-21-2017 07:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.