Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liberty-adds-13-games-future-football-schedules/
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Liberty-adds-13-games-future-football-schedules/
Many of the teams I thought they get 1-1's with. Looks like my school offered payday game.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/08/liber...schedules/

Listed below are the future opponents officially announced today by Liberty:

Bowling Green
Oct. 3, 2020 – Liberty at Bowling Green
Sept. 2, 2023 – Bowling Green at Liberty

Marshall
Oct. 14, 2023 – Liberty at Marshall
Oct. 5, 2024 – Marshall at Liberty

NC State
Nov. 21, 2020 – Liberty at NC State

Southern Miss
Oct. 24, 2020 – Southern Miss at Liberty
Sept. 3, 2022 – Liberty at Southern Miss

Troy
Sept. 11, 2021 – Liberty at Troy

UAB
Oct. 2, 2021 – Liberty at UAB
Sept. 10, 2022 – UAB at Liberty

UMass
Nov. 2, 2019 – Liberty at UMass
Nov. 28, 2020 – UMass at Liberty
Nov. 6, 2021 – UMass at Liberty
08-16-2017 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Liberty-adds-13-games-future-football-schedules/
Glad they are doing well. Glad they are independent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
08-16-2017 02:49 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Quote:FBSchedules.com‏
@FBSchedules

Liberty will receive $0 for trip to Marshall in 2023. Marshall will receive $500,000 guarantee for game at Liberty in 2024 (per MU release).
1:00 PM - 16 Aug 2017
08-16-2017 03:11 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(08-16-2017 03:11 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
@FBSchedules

Liberty will receive $0 for trip to Marshall in 2023. Marshall will receive $500,000 guarantee for game at Liberty in 2024 (per MU release).

Yeah, I think they've been sweetening the pot. I know I read that the guarantee for the UVA series was closer to FCS paydays.
08-16-2017 03:18 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-16-2017 03:11 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
@FBSchedules

The article stated Liberty will not receive a guarantee, I am not sure that means $0. My guess they get a cut of the gate based upon a formula not to exceed a certain amount. They are not guaranteed that amount. Maybe there are others with more knowledge that can weigh in.

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-footbl/...17aab.html
08-16-2017 03:27 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
The usual practice for a home-home series is that each home team keeps the revenue from its home game.

Liberty is doing this because they need to have at least 4 home games vs. FBS opponents every year, and don't have a conference to supply 4 home games each year, and because they can easily afford to buy home games. Which is fine, they are entitled to spend their money however they want to spend it.

It does illustrate why other FCS programs, particularly public schools, are very unlikely to follow Liberty's indy move-up path. If a move-up public school is in need of FBS home games, and an established FBS school asks the AD at a move-up public school for a $500,000 payday, that AD says, "Ha ha, we can't afford to pay that," whereas Liberty's AD can just say, "No problem, to whom would you like me to make out the check?"
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017 03:41 PM by Wedge.)
08-16-2017 03:40 PM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(08-16-2017 02:49 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Glad they are doing well. Glad they are independent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

If I had it my way, there'd be a heck of a lot more independents.
08-16-2017 03:45 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
Whats with the Liberty hard ons on this site? More threads about them than every other team.
08-16-2017 04:18 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Looks to me like NMSU is on their own after 2019. 2020 has 7 games now, with 3 open dates in September that are easy to fill with regular home and home series against anyone, and you know some FCS school will be another game in October or November. They just need to find one school that will play them in October. 2021 is similar with 8 games, figure and FCS and a September date to fill, and all they need are two October G5 series.

Liberty is digging in for a long run as a FBS Independent.

I wonder if they will soon be looking for a Basketball conference upgrade.
08-16-2017 04:49 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Liberty in small market Lynchburg....good luck with getting that basketball conference upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using CSNbbs mobile app
08-16-2017 05:02 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(08-16-2017 04:49 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Looks to me like NMSU is on their own after 2019. 2020 has 7 games now, with 3 open dates in September that are easy to fill with regular home and home series against anyone, and you know some FCS school will be another game in October or November. They just need to find one school that will play them in October. 2021 is similar with 8 games, figure and FCS and a September date to fill, and all they need are two October G5 series.

Bit confused by the first paragraph. You started with NMSU. Is the rest of the first paragraph about Liberty or NMSU. Not trolling, just trying to understand...
08-16-2017 05:18 PM
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-16-2017 05:18 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(08-16-2017 04:49 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Looks to me like NMSU is on their own after 2019. 2020 has 7 games now, with 3 open dates in September that are easy to fill with regular home and home series against anyone, and you know some FCS school will be another game in October or November. They just need to find one school that will play them in October. 2021 is similar with 8 games, figure and FCS and a September date to fill, and all they need are two October G5 series.

Bit confused by the first paragraph. You started with NMSU. Is the rest of the first paragraph about Liberty or NMSU. Not trolling, just trying to understand...

My guess is the poster was referring to 2018 where NMSU and Liberty play twice in the season. My guess would be Liberty will still do H/H for NMSU just not in the same season.
08-16-2017 05:35 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(08-16-2017 05:02 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Liberty in small market Lynchburg....good luck with getting that basketball conference upgrade.

Any team that can afford a good coach can be good at basketball. It doesn't require years of good recruiting classes and experience like football does. One good coaching hire then if he gets his hands on at least two good players and that's more than enough to make it to the NCAA most years.
08-16-2017 05:53 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(08-16-2017 05:35 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  
(08-16-2017 05:18 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

My guess is the poster was referring to 2018 where NMSU and Liberty play twice in the season. My guess would be Liberty will still do H/H for NMSU just not in the same season.

Oh ok. Yeah NMSU & Liberty have a H&H scheduled in 2018 and 2019. I wonder if they drop 2 of those 4 games now?
08-16-2017 06:41 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

Looks like NMSU drops off Liberty's list completely.

There may be a reason for it. NMSU has 4 games for 2020 and 2021, looks like a regular conference member schedule. Either NMSU has to go through the exercise all over again in a year to panic put together a 2 year schedule without Liberty's help (NMSU has no problem booking September), or else they think they may have a FB conference lined up.

Keep and eye on ULM. Their OOC schedule has nothing after 2019, and the last time they added a G5 opponent was back in December 2015. It could just mean nothing more than they hit pause button and finished off the existing schedules with FCS schools and will resume announcing some further out dates opponents in the next 12 months. But it's unusual not to have one or two "out years" opponents under contract. Last time we saw that was with UAB. Related to NMSU not scheduling like an Independent after 2019? Maybe, maybe just coincidence that will be broken by some more scheduling shortly by one or both schools.

But I think Liberty simply doesn't need NMSU anymore, and will instead focus on better value -- not a knock on NMSU, just a geography related issue.
08-16-2017 07:45 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

(08-16-2017 05:02 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Liberty in small market Lynchburg....good luck with getting that basketball conference upgrade.

We said that about their moving up in Football. They have a top 100 D-I basketball budget. Money talks.
08-16-2017 08:00 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-16-2017 07:45 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Looks like NMSU drops off Liberty's list completely.

There may be a reason for it. NMSU has 4 games for 2020 and 2021, looks like a regular conference member schedule. Either NMSU has to go through the exercise all over again in a year to panic put together a 2 year schedule without Liberty's help (NMSU has no problem booking September), or else they think they may have a FB conference lined up.

Keep and eye on ULM. Their OOC schedule has nothing after 2019, and the last time they added a G5 opponent was back in December 2015. It could just mean nothing more than they hit pause button and finished off the existing schedules with FCS schools and will resume announcing some further out dates opponents in the next 12 months. But it's unusual not to have one or two "out years" opponents under contract. Last time we saw that was with UAB. Related to NMSU not scheduling like an Independent after 2019? Maybe, maybe just coincidence that will be broken by some more scheduling shortly by one or both schools.

But I think Liberty simply doesn't need NMSU anymore, and will instead focus on better value -- not a knock on NMSU, just a geography related issue.

Or maybe they are just a safety valve for each other. Someone you can call when you don't have a date, but you aren't going to fill up your calendar with them.
08-18-2017 08:57 AM
Cyniclone Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(08-18-2017 08:57 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-16-2017 07:45 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Looks like NMSU drops off Liberty's list completely.

Or maybe they are just a safety valve for each other. Someone you can call when you don't have a date, but you aren't going to fill up your calendar with them.

Plus they still have dates open past 2019. I'd be shocked if NMSU and Liberty were done with each other after then.
08-18-2017 09:47 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-16-2017 04:18 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  Whats with the Liberty hard ons on this site? More threads about them than every other team.

They are an interesting test case for building an FBS program as an independent.
08-18-2017 10:14 AM
Cyniclone Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(08-18-2017 10:14 AM)orangefan Wrote:  
(08-16-2017 04:18 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  Whats with the Liberty hard ons on this site? More threads about them than every other team.

They are an interesting test case for building an FBS program as an independent.

That's definitely part of it. They're the canary in the coal mine for FCS programs who want to move up without an invitation from an FBS conference. If they're successful, it might show the way other schools who might otherwise be kept out of FBS. Liberty's a unique case study, but if this works, I'd be amazed if they were the only school to try it.

And they're also a potential bellwether for FBS schools that are in conferences now but might be looking at independence down the line. Every additional successful independent provides ammunition for other schools that might be forced into it (as was the case with New Mexico State) or those that might think it a better fit for their athletics (UConn?).

Finally, and I say this with no prejudice, no avarice, no judgment and nothing but detached observation, but ... spend some time in the Spin Zone, then come back. A conservative Christian school that had Trump speak at their commencement (and announce their first FBS football schedule, to boot) is going to have its fair share of followers here.
08-18-2017 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.