Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

32 inch smart tv's with Roku for $138: Cable TV is obsolete.
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
32 inch smart tv's with Roku for $138: Cable TV is obsolete.
I went to Walmart yesterday to get a small smart tv for my bedroom to watch a few of my favorite blue rays like GOT. I paid $138 for a 32 inch smart tv with built in services (Roku) I didn't need to buy another fire stick for it. It's wonderful; the quality is better and it scanned & picked up 55 free channels before I even started with the Roku channels and my $8 Netflix account. I cannot understand why anyone would have Direct tv or Comcast anymore? Obsolete services for obsolete technology. I hope the AAC starts up a digital platform and doesn't re up with cable (espn).---That's becoming obsolete at a rapid rate. For those who still pay more for less....why? Just curious. I'm not a technical guy at all BTW. If I figured this out, I'm certain others have.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 09:41 AM by billybobby777.)
08-13-2017 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: 32 inch smart tv's with Roku for $138: Cable TV is obsolete.
(08-13-2017 09:37 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I went to Walmart yesterday to get a small smart tv for my bedroom to watch a few of my favorite blue rays like GOT. I paid $138 for a 32 inch smart tv with built in services (Roku) I didn't need to buy another fire stick for it. It's wonderful; the quality is better and it scanned & picked up 55 free channels before I even started with the Roku channels and my $8 Netflix account. I cannot understand why anyone would have Direct tv or Comcast anymore? Obsolete services for obsolete technology. I hope the AAC starts up a digital platform and doesn't re up with cable (espn).---That's becoming obsolete at a rapid rate. For those who still pay more for less....why? Just curious. I'm not a technical guy at all BTW. If I figured this out, I'm certain others have.

I saw what looked like the same for $135 at Walmart, but it was only 720P. Is yours 1080P?
08-13-2017 09:51 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
You still need a cable, it's just CAT-5 instead of BNC.
08-13-2017 10:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
Get the Pluto App it is free lots of channels and movies.
Some of the channels are terrible but some are pretty cool and it is free.
I have Playstation Vue for ESPN/CNN/FOX/HGTV the usual cable channels.
I still find myself watching Pluto a decent amount of the time.
I like having the app on my phone its the easy way to check what is on.
Changing channels with Pluto is like cable where PS Vue or Sling is slower.
The Big Sky has a channel if some smaller conferences and maybe an ESPN type channel was added I would drop PS Vue and save even more money.
Seems like a channel could be formed really cheap using schools Youtube channels maybe with a daily SportsCenter type program mixed in.
The Big Sky channel is showing old games all the time it is the off season.
They should use content from coaches shows and Youtube channels this time of year but it is new.
08-13-2017 10:20 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(08-13-2017 09:51 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 09:37 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I went to Walmart yesterday to get a small smart tv for my bedroom to watch a few of my favorite blue rays like GOT. I paid $138 for a 32 inch smart tv with built in services (Roku) I didn't need to buy another fire stick for it. It's wonderful; the quality is better and it scanned & picked up 55 free channels before I even started with the Roku channels and my $8 Netflix account. I cannot understand why anyone would have Direct tv or Comcast anymore? Obsolete services for obsolete technology. I hope the AAC starts up a digital platform and doesn't re up with cable (espn).---That's becoming obsolete at a rapid rate. For those who still pay more for less....why? Just curious. I'm not a technical guy at all BTW. If I figured this out, I'm certain others have.

I saw what looked like the same for $135 at Walmart, but it was only 720P. Is yours 1080P?

Hahahaha. Quo be happy. I am. Nope, the paticular one is only 720P and the scenery on my GOT blue rays looked marvelous. I could have gone up for only $42 more. But I don't need that for my bedroom. I'm satisfied
08-13-2017 11:02 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(08-13-2017 10:17 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  You still need a cable, it's just CAT-5 instead of BNC.

I have internet. I don't need cable.
08-13-2017 11:03 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-13-2017 11:03 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 10:17 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  You still need a cable, it's just CAT-5 instead of BNC.

Whaaat? You mean I don't need my cable box and VCR recorder? So happy I went with VHS over Betamax...Sony suckers.03-lmfao
08-13-2017 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U

That's great. How do you plan on watching the 9 Army games that are CBSSN & Beinsports this season? How do you plan to watch the ECU vs WVU game on FS2?
08-13-2017 11:11 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(08-13-2017 11:11 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

That's great. How do you plan on watching the 9 Army games that are CBSSN & Beinsports this season? How do you plan to watch the ECU vs WVU game on FS2?

At a local bar I go to.
08-13-2017 11:17 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-13-2017 11:02 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Hahahaha. Quo be happy. I am. Nope, the paticular one is only 720P and the scenery on my GOT blue rays looked marvelous. I could have gone up for only $42 more. But I don't need that for my bedroom. I'm satisfied

FWIW, the reason I was there at Walmart to notice was that a few days ago my long-time computer monitor died and I was shopping for a new one. Almost bought the 32" for $135, but ended up getting a 24" Element HDTV (also 720P) for $98.

Realized that for a computer monitor, I didn't need Roku and Netflix, 1080P, or the extra 8", LOL. And I'm very happy with this thing so far.

It is amazing how the price of these TVs have come down, astonishing what just over $100 will buy these days. Glad you like your purchase too. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 11:20 AM by quo vadis.)
08-13-2017 11:19 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(08-13-2017 11:07 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Whaaat? You mean I don't need my cable box and VCR recorder? So happy I went with VHS over Betamax...Sony suckers.03-lmfao

Did I say something to offend you? I don't get why you are mocking me.
08-13-2017 11:21 AM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW

At that size it doesn't matter. Besides, when you see sports over Fox OTA. They broadcast in 720 p because its better for sports than 1080i.
08-13-2017 11:22 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(08-13-2017 11:19 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

FWIW, the reason I was there at Walmart to notice was that a few days ago my long-time computer monitor died and I was shopping for a new one. Almost bought the 32" for $135, but ended up getting a 24" Element HDTV (also 720P) for $98.

Realized that for a computer monitor, I didn't need Roku and Netflix, 1080P, or the extra 8", LOL. And I'm very happy with this thing so far.

It is amazing how the price of these TVs have come down, astonishing what just over $100 will buy these days. Glad you like your purchase too. 04-cheers

Yep, the Element is incredibly inexpensive. I've been told the parts they use don't last as long...but with technology moving so quickly on this, I suspect that won't matter. A lot of good affordable options out there! Glad you like yours as well!
08-13-2017 11:25 AM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(08-13-2017 11:17 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

At a local bar I go to.

How much do you spend at the bar? What if that bar closed down?
08-13-2017 11:34 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(08-13-2017 11:34 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 11:17 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

At a local bar I go to.

How much do you spend at the bar? What if that bar closed down?

I suppose I would go to another. I'm sure you are going to arrive at a point soon. Just say what you want to say.
08-13-2017 11:42 AM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

Basically how would you watch if there was no bar and everyone you knew "cut the cord"?

How much do you spend at the bar when you watch those games?
08-13-2017 11:48 AM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(08-13-2017 11:48 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Basically how would you watch if there was no bar and everyone you knew "cut the cord"?

I go to the bar regularly (once every 2 weeks or so) so I don't go there just to watch colllege football. I go to that particular place because that's where me and my friends hang out. I don't spend much because I don't drink that often anymore. I usually buy a meal. Club sandwich or wings and a Coke. But how much I spend when I go to watch college football is irrelevant as I go there anyway.
08-13-2017 11:55 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM

I get HBO/Showtime, Redzone, multi-sports package and a bunch of regional FOX Sports regional channels, all on PS Vue for less than $70.00 monthly for five TVs. I have the SECN, BTN as well. I have all the ESPNs and FS1 and 2. I have CBSSN, NBCSN. I have all my network channels with my outside antenna. I cancelled everything else.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 12:42 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
08-13-2017 12:35 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:

Quick question, just how exactly are you getting internet? They symantics of cutting cable really is misleading. You still need to have either hard wire or wi-fi hotspot at your house. The question is what is your internet costing? Cable companies made money off the leasing of devices. The main savings from not getting TV has been on the pricing bundle and hardware. Sadly, I still need spectrum where I live as my best internet option. Would love if they truly had better options than DSL to compete. :(
08-13-2017 12:44 PM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(08-13-2017 11:55 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 11:48 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Basically how would you watch if there was no bar and everyone you knew "cut the cord"?

I go to the bar regularly (once every 2 weeks or so) so I don't go there just to watch colllege football. I go to that particular place because that's where me and my friends hang out. I don't spend much because I don't drink that often anymore. I usually buy a meal. Club sandwich or wings and a Coke. But how much I spend when I go to watch college football is irrelevant as I go there anyway.

Exactly. Many people can live without paying their local cable co a car payment each month. Why do these people get bashed. Sure it's not for everyone but it can be great for a good many
08-13-2017 01:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.