ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

QB discussion
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
QB discussion
Could we be starting a 17 yo 6-4" QB ? Apparently Williams is really showing his skill set.
08-12-2017 09:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
RE: QB discussion
(08-12-2017 09:46 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Could we be starting a 17 yo 6-4" QB ? Apparently Williams is really showing his skill set.

Maybe come October/November. At this point he isn't getting enough reps with the first team.

I would rather slowly bring him along (get him more series each game) before throwing him out there as a starter.
08-12-2017 09:50 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Agree. BW has shown that he doesn't like to throw a young QB into a situation, that could kill their confidence. Hard to rebuild.
08-12-2017 10:20 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

But do you lose a year as a starter by not red shirting him, just so he can slowly come along playing mop up in real games?

I think it all depends on how quickly he can adjust and take over. If He's starter worthy by mid season maybe you take a chance. If it looks like he won't be starter ready until late, I'd say red shirt him. Of course making that determination would require him to play, thus burning the red shirt. Tough call.
08-12-2017 10:26 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(08-12-2017 10:26 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  But do you lose a year as a starter by not red shirting him, just so he can slowly come along playing mop up in real games?

I think it all depends on how quickly he can adjust and take over. If He's starter worthy by mid season maybe you take a chance. If it looks like he won't be starter ready until late, I'd say red shirt him. Of course making that determination would require him to play, thus burning the red shirt. Tough call.

I am all for playing later in the year if he is ready. Then potentially looking to redshirt the following year depending on if the other Qbs develop.
08-12-2017 11:13 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I think I said something like this back in June, but we just cannot count Williams out as the starter this year. If he is the best QB competing and the coaches think he gives us the best chance to win, he will throw the first pass thrown by the Monarchs this season -- and hopefully many, many more after that. I'm not saying he will start -- just saying don't count him out this year just because he is a freshman.
08-12-2017 11:41 AM
Advertisement

odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
This is why we pay Bobby Wilder the big bucks to make these decisions. I thought we were a little slow moving from Shuler Bentley to David Washington. Otherwise, I have been really happy with the development of the quarterbacks. May the best man win.
08-12-2017 12:03 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm excited about the potential of Williams. I do think the best situation would be if one of the other three QBs could show enough skill to lead this team to a bowl this year, while allowing Williams to redshirt and spend a year in the weight room. I'm nervous about putting a light, 17 year old out there against huge 20 year olds. Too much risk in him getting hurt. Sounds like he may very well be a future 4 year starter. Let's protect him if at all possible and still win.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2017 12:29 PM by monarx.)
08-12-2017 12:26 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
Under normal circumstances, there would be no question as to Williams taking a redshirt.
However, this is not a normal year. We are peaking at a number of positions, and thus are going to field our best team ever; maybe for a few years to come.
We have a phenomenal chance to make a statement in CUSA. It is hugely important for recruiting and indeed our brand.

Don't think for a minute that the coaches weren't aware that TH was our best QB very soon after he walked on campus. Only a confluence of injuries allowed him to play as a true Freshman.
Early on I was of the opinion that Williams would redshirt, and he still may.
However, IF he is the best QB (as I and others have heard from scuttlebutt) I strongly suspect that, unlike Heinicke, he will play, and probably start, at some point in the season.

We can recruit QBs every season; and the better we are this season, the more our potential to get top notch recruits in the coming years.
Thus I don't believe we need to "worry" about whether Williams will be a future four year starter. We need to put our best out there from day one.

IMHO, this season is that important.

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2017 12:52 PM by ODUalum78.)
08-12-2017 12:35 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(08-12-2017 12:35 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  Under normal circumstances, there would be no question as to Williams taking a redshirt.
However, this is not a normal year. We are peaking at a number of positions, and thus are going to field our best team ever; maybe for a few years to come.
We have a phenomenal chance to make a statement in CUSA. It is hugely important for recruiting and indeed our brand.

Don't think for a minute that the coaches weren't aware that TH was our best QB very soon after he walked on campus. Only a confluence of injuries allowed him to play as a true Freshman.
Early on I was of the opinion that Williams would redshirt, and he still may.
However, IF he is the best QB (as I and others have heard from scuttlebutt) I strongly suspect that, unlike Heinicke, he will play, and probably start, at some point in the season.

We can recruit QBs every season; and the better we are this season, the more our potential to get top notch recruits in the coming years.
Thus I don't believe we need to "worry" about whether Williams will be a future four year starter. We need to put our best out there from day one.

IMHO, this season is that important.

04-cheers

I did a cursory glance at the roster and believe we will be even better next year. Lots of juniors. After that we lose a lot of kids and will be much younger, although red shirting in mass will help.
08-12-2017 01:12 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
Wilder and staff have done a great job building our program and especially both on offense and at QB. I am more than willing to defer to his decision on all this, not that it would matter a whit if I didn't. All that said it is great that we have so many potential good options including this young Fr. QB this dilemma to deal with. Really looking forward to this season. "Our PRIDE is Growing"
08-12-2017 01:20 PM
Advertisement

Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(08-12-2017 11:41 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  I think I said something like this back in June, but we just cannot count Williams out as the starter this year. If he is the best QB competing and the coaches think he gives us the best chance to win, he will throw the first pass thrown by the Monarchs this season -- and hopefully many, many more after that. I'm not saying he will start -- just saying don't count him out this year just because he is a freshman.

I agee...best player should win out.
08-12-2017 01:57 PM
UVAfirstODUsecond Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UVa
Honest question about Williams. I don't want to be a downer, and I get that rankings only mean so much and a lot can be learned in practice, but why this amount of hype for a guy who was the #117 pro-style passer in his class? There are plenty of QBs ranked higher heading to FCS programs or crappy FBS teams. He didn't have any other offers according to 247.
08-12-2017 01:58 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(08-12-2017 01:58 PM)UVAfirstODUsecond Wrote:  Honest question about Williams. I don't want to be a downer, and I get that rankings only mean so much and a lot can be learned in practice, but why this amount of hype for a guy who was the #117 pro-style passer in his class? There are plenty of QBs ranked higher heading to FCS programs or crappy FBS teams. He didn't have any other offers according to 247.

IDK....but all indications are he is playing really well. I wonder if he has been getting any reps against the !st team D.
08-12-2017 02:00 PM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(08-12-2017 10:20 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  Agree. BW has shown that he doesn't like to throw a young QB into a situation, that could kill their confidence. Hard to rebuild.

He had no problem doing it to Shuler Bentley
08-12-2017 02:13 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

(08-12-2017 01:58 PM)UVAfirstODUsecond Wrote:  Honest question about Williams. I don't want to be a downer, and I get that rankings only mean so much and a lot can be learned in practice, but why this amount of hype for a guy who was the #117 pro-style passer in his class? There are plenty of QBs ranked higher heading to FCS programs or crappy FBS teams. He didn't have any other offers according to 247.

I would say the answer to your question is that Our offensive coaches, especially Wilder and Whitcomb are quarterback guys and pretty much knows one when they see one. Check out the Taylor Heinicke pick. It seemed they were the only ones that knew.
08-12-2017 02:19 PM
Advertisement

odu83alumni Offline
All American

(08-12-2017 02:13 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(08-12-2017 10:20 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  Agree. BW has shown that he doesn't like to throw a young QB into a situation, that could kill their confidence. Hard to rebuild.

Bentley was in over his head and now he has a much better chance. I don't think his confidence was ruined.
08-12-2017 02:22 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-12-2017 02:13 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

Maybe he leaned his lesson. And as a side note this schedule was made to include UNC and VT because we knew the team would be peaking and expected Shuler "the chosen one" Bentley to be our third year starting QB who was likely to be in the record books by now if not in the NFL yet. Gotta think BW would be hesitant to throw a true freshman, no matter how good, up against those two teams. I guess we will see. Gotta say, I am intrigued by the reports of how good he is.
08-12-2017 04:22 PM
FantomVII Offline
2nd String

For reference, here is Ed's piece on Williams and Hoy:

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/o...4ac70.html
08-12-2017 04:40 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so sticking it here. What happened to last nights scrimmage? Looks like it didn't happen. I know it rained like hell early, but I thought they'd be OK to scrimmage by evening. Guess not, but why the lack of information concerning it? Nothing in paper or online. Wonder if they'll scrimmage today?
08-13-2017 08:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.