Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SMU students triggered by American flags
TheBigEastSucks Offline
1st String

I Root For: NO QUARTER
SMU students triggered by American flags
To honor those who passed away on 9/11. The govenor is now getting involved, what is going on?
08-03-2017 05:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
RE: SMU students triggered by American flags
(08-03-2017 05:36 AM)TheBigEastSucks Wrote:  To honor those who passed away on 9/11. The governor is now getting involved, what is going on?

Snowflakes

SMU should probably change it's school colors then....
08-03-2017 06:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
It is popular to hate America with young snowflakes. Universities keep giving these clowns a voice. Same people that need a safe space.
08-03-2017 08:03 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2017 08:40 AM)PuddlePirate Wrote:  These ******* *******. I was frigging there, and I wasn't triggered, I was mad as hell. I guess they'd need to be institutionalized in a padded safe space if they'd actually lived through it. What the **** is this country coming to?

I agree.

These kids were what... 4 years old on 9/11? I wasn't there like you were, but I was a senior in High School and was in 1st period when it happened. I was the only kid in my class looking at the TV when the 2nd plane hit.

Those kids must have awful, awful parents who taught them nothing.

Honestly... in the nicest way possible... **** them.
08-03-2017 08:45 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
By nature, SOUTHERN METHODIST University would be the last friggin place I would expect these sorts of people to go. While I understand the policy to a certain extent (avoiding those stupid abortion protests with needlessly grotesque photos which I had trouble looking on my walk from Burger King back to class in the spring), these sorts of things are getting out of hand when well-meaning memorials for citizens are being denied or moved. Enjoy that 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2017 08:52 AM by BearcatMan.)
08-03-2017 08:50 AM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
I think we're being a little unfair to many SMU students here. After reading the article it looks like many students wanted to display the flags in the usual place but were shut down by the school due to new policy. Now that policy may have been implemented due to some snowflake students but give props to the students that wanted to display the flags. And I will say, as a 25 year old, I very much disagree with the weak minded snowflake culture.
08-03-2017 09:01 AM
Advertisement

invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I'm honestly just tired of the 9/11 hubub. Yes, it was a tragedy, but at some point as a nation you have to move on to some degree. If you asked most Americans when Pearl Harbor happened they probably couldn't tell you the exact date. Same thing goes for the day Kennedy was killed. Can you tell me what day that was without looking it up?
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2017 09:07 AM by invisiblehand.)
08-03-2017 09:06 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2017 09:06 AM)invisiblehand Wrote:  I'm honestly just tired of the 9/11 hubub. Yes, it was a tragedy, but at some point as a nation you have to move on to some degree. If you asked most Americans when Pearl Harbor happened they probably couldn't tell you the exact date.

16 years after Pearl Harbor, do you think people wouldn't be able to tell you the exact date?
08-03-2017 09:07 AM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(08-03-2017 06:28 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  
(08-03-2017 05:36 AM)TheBigEastSucks Wrote:  To honor those who passed away on 9/11. The governor is now getting involved, what is going on?

Snowflakes

SMU should probably change it's school colors then....

So the policy with the article see SMU official -->
Quote:policy banning "any type of visual recognition or commemoration of an event or political or social issue"
is incomplete. The American flag banning is a National issue, not one of those listed. Additionally, the Supreme Court ruled that it is free speech to burn the American flag, something that I vehemently disagree with, yet there is no free speech to display an American flag as a National pride issue. It doesn't make sense to me but hey the "Snowflakes" have no pride in America. Recently citizens in a small town in Connection received hate mail for displaying the American flag on their own property. Go figure!
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2017 09:30 AM by sfink16.)
08-03-2017 09:30 AM
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

I Root For: Wichita State
VERY disappointing to see this kind of attitude trend in Texas which is historically a bastion of American patriotism. Texas is where I'd planned to flee if/when the great American class civil war ensues.

T

...03-cool
08-03-2017 09:30 AM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

(08-03-2017 09:07 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  
(08-03-2017 09:06 AM)invisiblehand Wrote:  I'm honestly just tired of the 9/11 hubub. Yes, it was a tragedy, but at some point as a nation you have to move on to some degree. If you asked most Americans when Pearl Harbor happened they probably couldn't tell you the exact date.

16 years after Pearl Harbor, do you think people wouldn't be able to tell you the exact date?

Probably, but 16 years after there were probably some more important dates that people knew, like D-Day, VE Day, VJ Day etc... If the US wants to remember the day, then congress should declare it a federal holiday. If not, then people should just learn to move on.
08-03-2017 09:46 AM
Advertisement

coogrfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
(08-03-2017 06:28 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  

Snowflakes

Ooooo-kay?
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2017 09:49 AM by coogrfan.)
08-03-2017 09:48 AM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
I love reading posts with ***** in them....makes it for a madlib style of reading
08-03-2017 10:15 AM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
(08-03-2017 09:46 AM)invisiblehand Wrote:  

Probably, but 16 years after there were probably some more important dates that people knew, like D-Day, VE Day, VJ Day etc... If the US wants to remember the day, then congress should declare it a federal holiday. If not, then people should just learn to move on.

[Image: 201502_1037_aefia.png]
08-03-2017 10:25 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
Am I reading the same article as everyone else? The decision was made by the university. The College Dems and Feminist Equality Movement condemned the change, along with conservative student groups. The immediate jump to calling students snowflakes, whatever the **** that term means, is just as reactionary and divisive as the university's decision to move the location of the flags.
08-03-2017 10:35 AM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-03-2017 10:35 AM)geef Wrote:  Am I reading the same article as everyone else? The decision was made by the university. The College Dems and Feminist Equality Movement condemned the change, along with conservative student groups. The immediate jump to calling students snowflakes, whatever the **** that term means, is just as reactionary and divisive as the university's decision to move the location of the flags.

This.
08-03-2017 10:40 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte

I'd imagine there are families of at least 3,000 people that would disagree.
08-03-2017 11:04 AM
CornellCoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Cornell
(08-03-2017 10:35 AM)geef Wrote:  Am I reading the same article as everyone else? The decision was made by the university. The College Dems and Feminist Equality Movement condemned the change, along with conservative student groups. The immediate jump to calling students snowflakes, whatever the **** that term means, is just as reactionary and divisive as the university's decision to move the location of the flags.

What? You actually expect people to read and use critical thinking? What are you, sleet, snowflakes' weaker cousin?
08-03-2017 11:20 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(08-03-2017 11:04 AM)VA49er Wrote:  

I'd imagine there are families of at least 3,000 people that would disagree.

Unbelievable...just move on from a coordinated attack that killed thousands just working on a normal day. People jumped out of windows 100 stories high.
08-03-2017 11:20 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(08-03-2017 09:01 AM)Hurricane Drummer Wrote:  I think we're being a little unfair to many SMU students here. After reading the article it looks like many students wanted to display the flags in the usual place but were shut down by the school due to new policy. Now that policy may have been implemented due to some snowflake students but give props to the students that wanted to display the flags. And I will say, as a 25 year old, I very much disagree with the weak minded snowflake culture.

Oh I completely agree, and that's much in line with national norms. A majority of the country (myself included) doesn't care...it's the annoyingly vocal minority who muddies things up.
08-03-2017 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.