Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC Commish on Bowls
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Exclamation MAC Commish on Bowls
Quote:Steinbrecher said initial discussions have taken place on bowl games with MAC tie-ins.

The league is entering the fourth year of a six-year cycle that will have teams placed in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, Dollar General Bowl, Popeyes Bahamas Bowl and Raycom Media Camellia Bowl. A conditional berth in the Quick Lane Bowl is available if the Atlantic Coast Conference or Big Ten can’t fill a spot.

“We don’t know what (the future) is,” Steinbrecher said. “I feel pretty good about the situation we’re in. We have some wonderful long-standing partners.”

Steinbrecher believes the league will have four-to-six bowl tie-ins in the future.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2017/07/2...y/anz7xqm/

It sounds like the MAC as a starting point will try to resign the bowls it already has in place. Only 4 tie-ins this year though. It did lose the Poinsettia and Miami slots that it had as a 5th guaranteed tie-in this year.

There is potential improvement.

-Camelia Bowl was originally going to be in Charleston and could move there for the next bowl cycle.

-A bowl like Hawaii might be available should the AAC upgrade bowl partners.

-MAC could get a P5 bowl for its champ against the ACC in St. Louis or Independence if the AAC takes the Sun Bowl.
07-28-2017 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: MAC Commish on Bowls
More on G5 ideas...

-Poinsettia Bowl is gone and with the Holiday Bowl without an NFL stadium the Holiday could drop to a PAC-MWC bowl. Las Vegas Bowl in an NFL stadium can upgrade to a PAC-B1G bowl game. Basically the Holiday and Las Vegas flip in stature.

-AAC has good product, good enough to be worthy of a top tier non-CFP bowl. They could take something like the Sun from the ACC which sends a 5th or 6th pick there and instead have the AAC #1/#2. With a Houston and SMU in the AAC that gives for more presence.

-With the creation of new bowls by the P5 and 6-6 rule implementation I can see the Independence Bowl once again dropping to G5 land. Here could be a good place for the MAC which is better to play than the SBC/CUSA because there is no recruiting ramifications on the line like losing a bowl to Louisiana Tech or Louisiana.

I doubt the P5 will be willing to sign anything with the SBC/CUSA for next go around IMO. SEC and ACC don't want the competition. B1G will have to pare back its bowl games. B12 doesn't need that many bowls. PAC is most desperate because of geography but it doesn't share SBC/CUSA geography.
07-28-2017 09:43 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
- Holiday will move to the new LA NFL stadium and be a PAC/Big Ten top tier bowl. Las Vegas will be a 2nd tier PAC/Big Ten bowl, same as San Fran

- What is this STL bowl you're talking about? I just see zero chance for any more additional bowl games being approved ... think it's locked down at 40, for a while. So which bowl are you thinking moves to STL?

- I hope Potato Bowl dies, and either moves elsewhere or a new bowl is created in its place

- Big Ten needs to give up on Detroit Bowl and just let it be the MAC home game that it is
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2017 10:11 AM by MplsBison.)
07-28-2017 10:11 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
The detroit bowl is handy for the Big Ten for years when it only sends 2 teams to the committe bowls and has 10 or more bowl teams total.

Since Detroit is essentially at the bottom of the Big Ten's tiers, its usually the first bowl that does not get filled if there are not enough teams. I think its a good deal for the Big Ten. There when you need it.
07-28-2017 10:27 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I understand that ... but it would be better to have a Chicago bowl, ala the Pinstripe
07-28-2017 10:28 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(07-28-2017 10:28 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  I understand that ... but it would be better to have a Chicago bowl, ala the Pinstripe

Yes, because fans and players want to freeze their ass off at the end of December in Chicago for a meaningless bowl game. Hell let's put one in Cleveland then too or maybe Green Bay. Lol
07-28-2017 10:48 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

Yes, because fans and players want to freeze their ass off at the end of December in New York City for a meaningless bowl game.

http://web.pinstripebowl.com/index
07-28-2017 11:07 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(07-28-2017 09:43 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  -AAC has good product, good enough to be worthy of a top tier non-CFP bowl. They could take something like the Sun from the ACC which sends a 5th or 6th pick there and instead have the AAC #1/#2.

03-lmfao
07-28-2017 11:10 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(07-28-2017 09:20 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  -Camelia Bowl was originally going to be in Charleston and could move there for the next bowl cycle.

I don't think it will be going to Charleston. What stadium would they use? The Citadel is tearing down half their stadium. I have a feeling Myrtle Beach will snag a bowl. CCU has an enhanced stadium in the works, that would be a good place for it.
07-28-2017 11:11 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I just wish the Bahamas Bowl would move to somewhere in the continental US--it really doesn't make much sense to have a bowl down there and the attendance for it has been anemic.
07-28-2017 11:20 AM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
MAC Commish on Bowls
With UNLV sharing the NFL stadium in Las Vegas I think the Vegas bowl will still be in MWC hands and the winner of MW will play a P5, unless in access bowl.

The Holiday Bowl will probably stay in SD, as the stadium the Chargers are going to only seats 27k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
07-28-2017 11:25 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

(07-28-2017 11:25 AM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  The Holiday Bowl will probably stay in SD, as the stadium the Chargers are going to only seats 27k.

Correct for the near term future. Don't think anyone was suggesting Holiday would go to StubHub
07-28-2017 12:15 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-28-2017 11:10 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(07-28-2017 09:43 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  -AAC has good product, good enough to be worthy of a top tier non-CFP bowl. They could take something like the Sun from the ACC which sends a 5th or 6th pick there and instead have the AAC #1/#2.

03-lmfao

I highly doubt the AAC steals Sun from the ACC. This is the only ACC/P12 matchup. Sun is a Mid-Tier pick in the ACC, thus has a shot at Notre Dame. Now I could see the ACC/PAC 12 try and swap the Vegas bowl and have the MWC go to El Paso vs P12. Still that would require Vegas to move to post-Christmas since the ACC refuses contracts tie-ins specifically state no pre-Christmas bowl AKA St. Pete Clause.

I could see the ACC Lower Tier become (Not assuming priority in order)
Birmingham - If the SEC keeps that above Independence.
Detroit (Could move to Chicago or SC) - B10
Military vs ACC

SEC Lower Tier
Birmingham vs ACC
Indy vs AAC

Again this is assuming no new bowls or any fold in the next two year. While I would like to see come changes in tie-ins, I have a feeling they will look very similar to the current tie-ins with some minor changes.
07-28-2017 12:18 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
The MAC are SOL with when it comes to bowl games. They get 6 qualify for bowls, and usually 2 wind up staying home. I would see if you can check if the MAC could create 2 bowl games. One with the MVFC champ or second place team who got eliminated early from the playoffs, and the second with the CAA champ or second place team if they got eliminated early in the playoffs. I would use that as a test run to see if the FCS schools can draw tv viewers and crowd to the games. James Madison, Delaware and North Dakota State might get their crowds to buy tickets and show up. If the MWC have a 7th team made the post season, but be left out? A new bowl between MWC 7th place team VS the champ or second place team of the Big Sky Conference if they got eliminated from the playoffs early. Big Sky usually have teams that have more winning records, but wound up staying home. This could give all these conferences extra money to play around with.
07-28-2017 01:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
utpotts Offline
Heisman

(07-28-2017 01:16 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  The MAC are SOL with when it comes to bowl games. They get 6 qualify for bowls, and usually 2 wind up staying home. I would see if you can check if the MAC could create 2 bowl games. One with the MVFC champ or second place team who got eliminated early from the playoffs, and the second with the CAA champ or second place team if they got eliminated early in the playoffs. I would use that as a test run to see if the FCS schools can draw tv viewers and crowd to the games. James Madison, Delaware and North Dakota State might get their crowds to buy tickets and show up. If the MWC have a 7th team made the post season, but be left out? A new bowl between MWC 7th place team VS the champ or second place team of the Big Sky Conference if they got eliminated from the playoffs early. Big Sky usually have teams that have more winning records, but wound up staying home. This could give all these conferences extra money to play around with.

Just stop talking, once again the MAC is not your forte. The MAC would never do something stupid like this.
07-28-2017 01:56 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

(07-28-2017 11:07 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Yes, because fans and players want to freeze their ass off at the end of December in New York City for a meaningless bowl game.

http://web.pinstripebowl.com/index

New York is a little warmer than Chicago in December. Plus in NYC you don't have to worry about the lake effect snow or just getting shot in the murder capital of the world.
07-28-2017 01:57 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(07-28-2017 01:56 PM)utpotts Wrote:  
(07-28-2017 01:16 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  The MAC are SOL with when it comes to bowl games. They get 6 qualify for bowls, and usually 2 wind up staying home. I would see if you can check if the MAC could create 2 bowl games. One with the MVFC champ or second place team who got eliminated early from the playoffs, and the second with the CAA champ or second place team if they got eliminated early in the playoffs. I would use that as a test run to see if the FCS schools can draw tv viewers and crowd to the games. James Madison, Delaware and North Dakota State might get their crowds to buy tickets and show up. If the MWC have a 7th team made the post season, but be left out? A new bowl between MWC 7th place team VS the champ or second place team of the Big Sky Conference if they got eliminated from the playoffs early. Big Sky usually have teams that have more winning records, but wound up staying home. This could give all these conferences extra money to play around with.

Just stop talking, once again the MAC is not your forte. The MAC would never do something stupid like this.

MAC Vs North Dakota State = $$$$$$$$ and Viewers.
07-28-2017 02:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona

Isn't there a reason the NCAA renamed the divisions Bowl Subdivision and Championship Subdivision? In the last 2 seasons all eligible teams and then some 5-7 teams have made bowl games. It's not just the MAC, he's so wrapped up in fantasy that he can not comprehend reality.
07-28-2017 02:16 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(07-28-2017 01:57 PM)utpotts Wrote:  New York is a little warmer than Chicago in December. Plus in NYC you don't have to worry about the lake effect snow or just getting shot in the murder capital of the world.

Wrigley is off the lake, and Wrigleyville is no less safe than the Bronx, during the day. The game wouldn't be played in south Chicago, come on. Avg high temps in Dec: NYC 43deg, Chicago 35deg. Yes, NYC slightly warming, but not significant for the experience in either case.

Look this is just me, as a message board poster, pulling it out of my rear end. Do I think it's going to happen? Likely not. So don't get too worked up 04-cheers
07-28-2017 02:25 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

(07-28-2017 02:11 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

MAC Vs North Dakota State = $$$$$$$$ and Viewers.

No it doesn't. Delusional. No one in the MAC cares about MVFC or CAA, especially playing them in football in a meaningless game.
07-28-2017 02:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.