Lord Saban has spoken!
Retroview1955 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
Lord Saban has spoken!
Saban proposes all-Power-5 schedules to improve CFP
https://www.thescore.com/news/1339664
(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

I think because he lost on G5 leagues holding satellite camps, he's now trying to keep us out of P5 games. Is he scared, because of Power 6 noise that the G5s might crank it up a notch?
07-26-2017 09:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GhentFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU YALE MN NDSU
RE: Lord Saban has spoken!
I propose CFP go 8 teams (or 10 with 2 wild card games).

Conference champs = bid.
Alabama has nothing to fear, they are monsters year over year.
07-26-2017 10:08 PM
ODU2017 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(07-26-2017 09:17 PM)Retroview1955 Wrote:  Saban proposes all-Power-5 schedules to improve CFP
https://www.thescore.com/news/1339664
(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

I think because he lost on G5 leagues holding satellite camps, he's now trying to keep us out of P5 games. Is he scared, because of Power 6 noise that the G5s might crank it up a notch?
First Michigan and VT and all our football camp partners might not like this idea because playing G5 schools in deep recruiting territory is beneficial to them.

Second doing this will just further embolden the P6 thinking and other radical ideas about reshaping the football world. The status quo is relatively stable. It makes no sense to upend it right now and potentially alienate new fans. Ohio State and Michigan aren't huge because the Big 10 includes Rutgers. Taking actions that might further water down the conferences is foolish.

Third the TV money and ensuing facilities arms race is a house of cards. Attendance and TV ratings are in decline. There is a cultural shift drying these revenue streams. Shutting your own school out of TV markets and potential for growth would be an unforced error. Keep in mind the concept of financial leverage. P5 schools aren't spending their own wealth directly on facilities. They are using their wealth to borrow even more money and that's how they are able to finance everything. It's a business model built on acquiring more and more debt. That's fine if TV money permanently stays at 2013 levels. However that isn't happening and the P5 will feel a crunch sooner or later. The G5 business model is not based on debt and may prove more sustainable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using CSNbbs mobile app
07-27-2017 12:57 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Please stop referring to them as P6. Your drinking the AAC kool aid. It's P5.
07-27-2017 05:50 AM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

Total non-story. It's unexecutable under the current structure. They need the wins and the home games. They couldn't even agree to get rid of FCS games.
07-27-2017 06:54 AM
Retroview1955 Offline
1st String

I wasn't drinking AAC Kool-aid, I'm just calling it as I see it. In the CUSA media event BW and I'm sure other coaches are saying they are so as good as any team in the country. BW said that and inside that message it's clear they will step it up. I expect our team to be stronger because of all the strength and condition stuff they got.
07-27-2017 12:59 PM
ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

(07-27-2017 05:50 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Please stop referring to them as P6. Your drinking the AAC kool aid. It's P5.

A little revolution is healthy from time to time. The only reason there is a P5/G5 is because some old dudes said so and the media ran with it. If the kids at The American stay on message long enough and win some games along the way that P6 helmet sticker will mean something. I'm all for someone busting up the status quo in college football and if our likely future conference is the one to do it all the better.
07-27-2017 01:09 PM
Advertisement

Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

What the NCAA and the NFL coaches should be worried about are the pending lawsuits for brain injuries from playing football. It might be so large that football is we know it today might not be the football in the near future. Universities, in order to protect their endowments, will start eliminating football once the law suits and payouts begin. Add this to the facts that cost of football is going up, universities are under pressure to reduce costs, and attendance is going down....the head winds are getting really strong against football in the future. ODU is right to take a measured approach to proceeding with upgrading football facilities.
07-27-2017 01:13 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(07-27-2017 01:09 PM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  
(07-27-2017 05:50 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Please stop referring to them as P6. Your drinking the AAC kool aid. It's P5.

A little revolution is healthy from time to time. The only reason there is a P5/G5 is because some old dudes said so and the media ran with it. If the kids at The American stay on message long enough and win some games along the way that P6 helmet sticker will mean something. I'm all for someone busting up the status quo in college football and if our likely future conference is the one to do it all the better.

If by some old dudes you mean all the parties (including the AAC) that signed the CFP contract then you're correct.
07-27-2017 01:20 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-27-2017 01:20 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  

If by some old dudes you mean all the parties (including the AAC) that signed the CFP contract then you're correct.

Isn't FBS supposed to be the P10? Screw the P5, P6 or P30. I think every "G5" team should put a P6 sticker on their helmet to negate the AAC narrative and stake a claim to being just as good, which we are all supposed to be.
07-27-2017 02:10 PM
Advertisement

Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

AAC will NEVER be on par with the P5. They may have separated from the G5, but have not remotely caught up to the P5.
07-27-2017 03:26 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2017 01:13 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  What the NCAA and the NFL coaches should be worried about are the pending lawsuits for brain injuries from playing football. It might be so large that football is we know it today might not be the football in the near future. Universities, in order to protect their endowments, will start eliminating football once the law suits and payouts begin. Add this to the facts that cost of football is going up, universities are under pressure to reduce costs, and attendance is going down....the head winds are getting really strong against football in the future. ODU is right to take a measured approach to proceeding with upgrading football facilities.

Some of these schools are making close to $100 Million a year. The lawsuits will not be nearly enough to shutter football programs.
07-27-2017 03:28 PM
ODU2017 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(07-27-2017 03:28 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(07-27-2017 01:13 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  What the NCAA and the NFL coaches should be worried about are the pending lawsuits for brain injuries from playing football. It might be so large that football is we know it today might not be the football in the near future. Universities, in order to protect their endowments, will start eliminating football once the law suits and payouts begin. Add this to the facts that cost of football is going up, universities are under pressure to reduce costs, and attendance is going down....the head winds are getting really strong against football in the future. ODU is right to take a measured approach to proceeding with upgrading football facilities.

Some of these schools are making close to $100 Million a year. The lawsuits will not be nearly enough to shutter football programs.
Football is built on debt. If they can't borrow more money that will end them rather quickly. Programs that aren't built on debt still might not afford lawsuits but the business model is stronger overall.

What would be interesting is a class action suit recognising that more concussions occur in P5 play (bigger, faster players).

If P5 goes independent they can be sued as an independent entity

Sent from my SM-G930F using CSNbbs mobile app
07-27-2017 04:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.