Dan Hoard pre-camp interview with Luke Fickell

07-25-2017 12:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Dan Hoard pre-camp interview with Luke Fickell
(07-25-2017 12:22 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  http://gobearcats.com/news/2017/7/25/foo...ckell.aspx

I just watched this interview over on FB... Gotta say that I am so very happy with our HC.

Not thrilled with that metallic red helmet in the background. Nit-picky, I know, but that's my least favorite helmet so far...including that flat, red helmet UC wore last season. I just don't like the red...it's not "UC Red." I'll cope with it, but man...can we get back to "our" base color scheme?

07-25-2017 12:27 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(07-25-2017 12:27 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(07-25-2017 12:22 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  http://gobearcats.com/news/2017/7/25/foo...ckell.aspx

I just watched this interview over on FB... Gotta say that I am so very happy with our HC.

Not thrilled with that metallic red helmet in the background. Nit-picky, I know, but that's my least favorite helmet so far...including that flat, red helmet UC wore last season. I just don't like the red...it's not "UC Red." I'll cope with it, but man...can we get back to "our" base color scheme?

I agree with your helmet comment; red helmets are okay for a "one off" each season but it better be UC's bright, distinctive red. I also feel Under Armour is using way too much gray in the UC clothing line. Maybe that's a national trend but with the scarlet and gray a hundred miles up the road I'd rather see mostly red and black.

Excellent interview with CLF. I appreciate his authenticity.

07-25-2017 12:43 PM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

Love love love the red helmet in the background. You two are just too old school :)

07-25-2017 01:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Dan Hoard, once again showing why he is the best sports broadcaster/interviewer in town.

With respects to the unis/color scheme, not a fan of the red helmets and I haven't been a fan of the UA football uniform to date. I was hoping that with the regime change UA could just design us a new look but I understand why that doesn't happen. FWIW, my favorite uniform to date was 2011. Would have loved to run with the helmets we wore in the Liberty Bowl for a year or two.

[Image: img16663064.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2017 01:09 PM by CliftonAve.)
07-25-2017 01:09 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-25-2017 01:04 PM)nachoman91 Wrote:  Love love love the red helmet in the background. You two are just too old school :)

It is possible...

07-25-2017 01:46 PM
Advertisement

marcuscan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats + UF
With camp opening tomorrow I'm officially at the point where I'm over recruiting (which is good b/c august is now a dead period), and ready to see/ hear more about what our actual players are doing. Can't wait to start to hear reporting on the progress the current regime has made over the last 7 months.

mc

07-25-2017 03:14 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2017 01:46 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(07-25-2017 01:04 PM)nachoman91 Wrote:  Love love love the red helmet in the background. You two are just too old school :)

It is possible...

Yes, as Norm Crosby would have said, "I resemble that remark".

07-25-2017 03:35 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators

I don't mind them for one offs but my favorite red(ish) helmet was this one:

Carbon fiber from the 2012 Belk Bowl.

[Image: cincinnati-belk-bowl-helmet.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2017 03:37 PM by rath v2.0.)
07-25-2017 03:36 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

Thanks Bearcatfan 04-bow I LOVE the energy CLF brings 04-rock

07-25-2017 04:40 PM
FenderCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Hillsdale
Aight, I'm all in. Well, Flex Pack in! 04-cheers

07-25-2017 07:13 PM
Advertisement

pat5775 Offline
1st String

Didn't coach Fickell already say we're going all black for every home game? I wouldn't worry too much about the red helmets... It's funny because when I was growing up I always wanted UC to use a red helmet, and now that they have... I hate them haha

07-25-2017 07:47 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats

Yep. The carbon fiber red helmet from the first Belk Bowl was so sweet I bought one.

07-25-2017 07:51 PM
njbearcat13 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-25-2017 01:09 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Dan Hoard, once again showing why he is the best sports broadcaster/interviewer in town.

With respects to the unis/color scheme, not a fan of the red helmets and I haven't been a fan of the UA football uniform to date. I was hoping that with the regime change UA could just design us a new look but I understand why that doesn't happen. FWIW, my favorite uniform to date was 2011. Would have loved to run with the helmets we wore in the Liberty Bowl for a year or two.

[Image: img16663064.jpg]

This is my favorite helmet. I really like the matte black with the number/logo combo.

07-25-2017 08:51 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(07-25-2017 03:36 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

I don't mind them for one offs but my favorite red(ish) helmet was this one:

Carbon fiber from the 2012 Belk Bowl.

[Image: cincinnati-belk-bowl-helmet.jpg]

that helmet makes me think of beating Duke in the final minutes...and Arnim Zola's head exploding on the blue devil sideline lol

07-25-2017 09:50 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

(07-25-2017 07:13 PM)FenderCat Wrote:  Aight, I'm all in. Well, Flex Pack in! 04-cheers

Good to see someone talking about the interview 04-bow

07-26-2017 04:36 AM
Advertisement

ucbandguy Offline
Special Teams

It was interesting to hear Fickell say that we would be a "line based team". I think my biggest concern this year is the unknown of the OL. I thought they were a weak unit last year, though most starters are gone (and Stout). Do we have some rising OL undergraduates I have not heard much about?

It would be wonderful to see our RB's make first contact at or beyond the line of scrimmage instead of a yard behind the line - which seemed to be the norm last year.

07-26-2017 07:55 AM
JJ_Bearcats Offline
Water Engineer

I like listening to coach Fick, he always seems so sincere. The community buy-in I think is especially important. We have to do our parts to help sell the program too, hype it up if you will. Flex Plans, season tix, just getting a friend out to a single game. Attendance numbers, season tix and mini plan numbers, they all matter and make a difference. If we want the local kids to take pride in the community and our school, it has to start with us, the diehards (even though I'm a newly minted diehard). Sell our team, sell the conference, sell our conference mates, make everything sound incredible, be positive. I guess be bitter and negative about them here, but don't let that eek out to the real world. The casuals wont get excited if the diehards are moaning about.

Im also interested to see how the QB competition shakes out. Trail seems to be pushing for the lead, but Moore keeps squeaking it out. I'm not holding their prior games against them, as the coaching and gameplanning was pretty awful, so itll be interesting to see how they perform with an invested coaching staff who put the time in. I still think Trail has the most upside however. But then again, the O-line has to be serviceable or else it all falls apart.

Good lord, we cant wait for the season to start! It's like its been 20 years or something... 03-wink

07-26-2017 08:18 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Back to the original post, Dan Hoard also was on 1530 yesterday afternoon previewing the Bearcats (he also covered the Bengals upcoming season).

https://espn1530.iheart.com/featured/lan...-bearcats/

Summary:
- Impression of CLF: Recruiting has been unbelievable. Didn't think he would be put classes like this together in year 1.
- QB Race: Thinks Hayden Moore is #1 guy and is his job to lose. Can lose job if Moore plays poorly and Trail plays great.
- WR: Devin Gray had great first year at UC. Thinks he got better as year went alone. Great 1-2 punch in he and Lewis. Several other guys had significant snaps who produced well.
- Mike Boone: Healthy, explosiveness is back. Team is going to really very heavily on him. Hopefully OL can open holes.
- On being picked to finish 4th in the AAC East: Thinks UC will be better than most people believe. Team in better physical condition and better mentally. Will surprise people.

07-26-2017 09:09 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
(07-26-2017 09:09 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Back to the original post, Dan Hoard also was on 1530 yesterday afternoon previewing the Bearcats (he also covered the Bengals upcoming season).

https://espn1530.iheart.com/featured/lan...-bearcats/

Summary:
- Impression of CLF: Recruiting has been unbelievable. Didn't think he would be put classes like this together in year 1.
- QB Race: Thinks Hayden Moore is #1 guy and is his job to lose. Can lose job if Moore plays poorly and Trail plays great.
- WR: Devin Gray had great first year at UC. Thinks he got better as year went alone. Great 1-2 punch in he and Lewis. Several other guys had significant snaps who produced well.
- Mike Boone: Healthy, explosiveness is back. Team is going to really very heavily on him. Hopefully OL can open holes.
- On being picked to finish 4th in the AAC East: Thinks UC will be better than most people believe. Team in better physical condition and better mentally. Will surprise people.

Thanks for the summary. I hope he is right on all counts.

The QB situation was a complete mess last year and 'hwsnbn' had no clue what to do about it or tried to do some things and failed miserably.

Moore and Trail both need to gain some confidence and stay healthy. I think Fickell said they don't need to be great but need to play well. If UC can run the ball and the QB play is average or slightly above average then the offense should be much better than last year.

07-26-2017 09:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.