Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Which year had more preseason excitement?
Bookmark and Share
Tiger5 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Which year had more preseason excitement?
This year or 2003 coming off the New Orleans Bowl win, Danny's senior year, Deangelo junior year.

I believe Lee Corso picked us to go undefeated in 2003. Both teams had a lot of preseason excitement.
07-23-2017 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Which year had more preseason excitement?
Louisville HC Lee Corso waved a white flag at Coach Billy "Spook" Murphy in '69 when we were beating their arses 69-0.

That should end any further discussion of Corso's credibility.
07-23-2017 06:44 PM
Tiger57 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers
2015 seemed to have a lot of preseason excitement
07-24-2017 12:17 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
There was a lot of buzz going into the 2004 season. We ended up leading the league in attendance despite not hosting an SEC opponent.
07-24-2017 01:09 PM
boss man Offline
The Collapse is Imminent

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
Yep, UT used the basketball series issue to force postponement of the schedule early November football game here in 2004. They threatened to cancel the contract and pay the $200,000 buyout.

Fulmer flat out did NOT want to play the TIGERS that year.

That home game against the Vols has not been played yet.
07-24-2017 04:03 PM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(07-24-2017 04:03 PM)boss man Wrote:  That home game against the Vols has not been played yet.

I doubt it ever will.
07-24-2017 04:43 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I'm also doubtful that ole miss will play at LBMS in 2019 as currently scheduled.
07-24-2017 04:44 PM
ADallasTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Yes, but Corso came back and beat us the next year. Cost us a bowl bid if I remember....
07-24-2017 04:48 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
UT-K and the Black Bears will not play us in football while there is a hint of vigor in the Memphis program.

Enlightened self-interest, unlike us, guides their decisions.
07-24-2017 04:51 PM
Advertisement

wylioats Offline
Heisman

(07-23-2017 06:44 PM)TG4 Wrote:  Louisville HC Lee Corso waved a white flag at Coach Billy "Spook" Murphy in '69 when we were beating their arses 69-0.

That should end any further discussion of Corso's credibility.

I was at that game, pretty awesome.
07-25-2017 08:06 AM
MemphisMojo Offline
All American

I Root For: Democrats
Every Year is exciting. Nothing was better than opening with Ole Miss every season. Think about if we had them here this year ..1st game...Besides beating them to death we would have a sell out..
07-25-2017 08:24 AM
TigerFan38134 Offline
Special Teams

(07-24-2017 04:51 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  UT-K and the Black Bears will not play us in football while there is a hint of vigor in the Memphis program.

Until we can perform in the top 30 for 3-5 consecutive seasons I believe you're correct. They have (had) more program credibility to lose if we won, than they'd gain by beating us. I have friends in Jonesboro whom are huge ASU fans who want to play U of Ark. every season, but U of Ark has much more to lose than the "Red Pups" do. We finish top 30 with a QUALITY bowl win, then it might be worth them risking.

Just my .02!

Go Tigers!
07-25-2017 10:01 AM
CKMcDan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
UT and Arkansas doesn't want to play us on the road when there is a high probability that they will lose anymore than we want to play Arkansas State or UAB when we could lose to them.

Unfortunately, it's a lot easier for the P5 teams to get home opponents that it is for the rest of us.
07-25-2017 10:27 AM
Advertisement

TigersTigers Offline
Special Teams

I do agree we're not there yet.. need another 2 to 3 solid years of going to bowls and playing at a high level and UTK and the Black Bears will totally refuse to schedule us... however we need to continue our recruiting success.

Actually the recruiting rankings (Rivals) list the Black Bears at 59th versus us at 67th. We got lots of recruiting work to do with half our class already know. Let's hope we move up on the next 10 recruits and blow pass the Black Bears!

(07-25-2017 10:01 AM)TigerFan38134 Wrote:  
(07-24-2017 04:51 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  UT-K and the Black Bears will not play us in football while there is a hint of vigor in the Memphis program.

Until we can perform in the top 30 for 3-5 consecutive seasons I believe you're correct. They have (had) more program credibility to lose if we won, than they'd gain by beating us. I have friends in Jonesboro whom are huge ASU fans who want to play U of Ark. every season, but U of Ark has much more to lose than the "Red Pups" do. We finish top 30 with a QUALITY bowl win, then it might be worth them risking.

Just my .02!

Go Tigers!
07-25-2017 11:50 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Just my .02!

Go Tigers!

Going the wrong way, there - IMO. The more we perform consistently, the less likely they are to play. It's not a SOS need for them. They rely on the SEC for that. It's not a credibility thing. Again, they rely on the SEC. It's that they want a high degree of certainty that they will beat us - and any other G5 opponent.
07-25-2017 11:54 AM
TigerFan38134 Offline
Special Teams

(07-25-2017 11:54 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

Just my .02!

Go Tigers!

Going the wrong way, there - IMO. The more we perform consistently, the less likely they are to play. It's not a SOS need for them. They rely on the SEC for that. It's not a credibility thing. Again, they rely on the SEC. It's that they want a high degree of certainty that they will beat us - and any other G5 opponent.

You may be correct with your logic. 04-cheers
I just feel like until we're either horrible to where only a miracle would cause us to win, like in your theory, OR we are very successful over the course of a few seasons, and no longer considered a "bad loss," will we then have "strong" OOC games scheduled yearly. We're slowly working on the latter, just hopefully we don't take 3 steps forward and two steps back like our basketball program has done. I think after the past 2 weeks, the last thing OM is worried about is a "bad loss" against Memphis in two seasons!

Go Tigers!
07-25-2017 01:26 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm honestly glad we don't play Ole Miss this year while they will probably be a bad team.

It would be outright embarrassing to lose - that they get hang their hat on still beating us, while we go on to an otherwise good season and still lose to them.
07-25-2017 05:57 PM
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
07-25-2017 06:48 PM
TigerinFL Offline
All American

screw the SEC. go find some big10, big12 or ACC teams that would play us. hell, go play at their house and lets see what happens.
07-25-2017 07:42 PM
Tor Johnson Offline
2nd String

Chanting "BCS, BCS, BCS..." in those end zone
bleachers was glorious!??
07-26-2017 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.