Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Killing time before Aug kickoffs. Work on you next bowl contracts?
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Killing time before Aug kickoffs. Work on you next bowl contracts?
Let's not get offended. It is just what people would like to see for their conference when 2020 bowls roll around. Since I am ACC Guy, what I like to see. A model to try keep the bowls fresh for the confernce and teams. Using existing bowls, think we can redo if new bowsl or added or moved.

Tier 1 (Locked in until 2019-2020
1. Orange - Champ vs SEC, B10, ND
1B. BWW FKA Citrus if B10 goes to Orange vs ACC

Proposed change
Tier 1 add

2. Tampa/Jax vs SEC (B10 and SEC agree to 3 years at each bowl. Jax will need to up payout to me Tampa)

3. CW Orlando/Liberty bowl vs B12 -(SEC and ACC agree to 3 years at each bowl)

Mid-Tier 4-7
- Belk vs SEC
- Sun vs P12
- Pinstripe vs B10
- Nashville vs (SEC or B10)

Bottom-Tier
8. Liberty/HOD vs B12 (SEC and ACC appear every 3 years
9. Detroit vs B10 (Think this may move locations, St. Pete? )
10. Indy/Military vs AAC (SEC and ACC appear every 3 years)
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2017 07:09 PM by msm96wolf.)
07-23-2017 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
RE: Killing time before Aug kickoffs. Work on you next bowl contracts?
(07-23-2017 09:12 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Let's not get offended. It is just what people would like to see for their conference when 2020 bowls roll around. Since I am ACC Guy, what I like to see. A model to try keep the bowls fresh for the confernce and teams. Using existing bowls, think we can redo if new bowsl or added or moved.

1B. BWW FKA Citrus if B10 goest to Orange vs SEC vs SEC

Proposed change
Tier 1 add

2. Tampa/Jax vs SEC (B10 and SEC agree to 3 years at each bowl. Jax will need to up payout to me Tampa)

Mid-Tier 4-7
- Belk vs SEC
- Sun vs P12
- Pinstripe vs B10

Bottom-Tier

It's a good wish list. Obviously, the Big 12 cannot exist in its current form to get many of the things you wish for. (Like playing the SEC champ) Also, you will NEVER get the Big 10 champ in a Bowl. That pesky little thing called the Rose Bowl will have to go away. Lot o tradition there....
07-23-2017 11:22 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(07-23-2017 09:12 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Let's not get offended. It is just what people would like to see for their conference when 2020 bowls roll around. Since I am ACC Guy, what I like to see. A model to try keep the bowls fresh for the confernce and teams. Using existing bowls, think we can redo if new bowsl or added or moved.

Proposed change
Tier 1 add

Mid-Tier 4-7
- Belk vs SEC
- Sun vs P12
- Pinstripe vs B10

Bottom-Tier

Can I also safely assume you want the #10 ACC team to play against the AAC champ in your Military/Indy scenario? If that happens, Aresco will have to step down. That would just be too embarrassing....
07-23-2017 11:25 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
This is a pie-in-the-sky scenario, but here's what the MAC would have in a dream world:
1. Citrus vs SEC - The MAC actually had this tie-in during the early seventies, Miami won all three matchups. Would be easy for me to drive to as well.
2. Detroit vs Big Ten - This bowl was something when we were in it, they should've never given our tie-in to the ACC.
3. Las Vegas vs MWC - Vegas was our main tie-in with the Big West in the nineties, and it's a million times better than going to Boise.
4. Indianapolis vs AAC - Take our Boise tie-in here and give the MWC one of the AAC's games, it's a nice dome and not too far from a couple American teams.
5. Mobile vs Sun Belt - City supports the game well, we have some tradition here against the Belt.
Secondary 1: Frisco - We never bowls in Texas, this would mix things up and might be good for recruiting.
Secondary 2: Bahamas - Might as well play somewhere warm.

I'm under no illusion that's ever going to happen, so here's what I'd say for the 'realistic' scenario:
1. Detroit vs Big Ten - A few more games like last year (who wants to see Maryland vs BC in Detroit?) and there's a small chance they'd take us back.
2. Boca vs AAC - It worked out great for us when Toledo played Temple.
3. Mobile vs Sun Belt - Same rationale as above.
4. Hawaii vs MWC - Would be a lot better than Boise.
5. Bahamas vs C-USA - Sure beats the midwest in December.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2017 01:36 PM by Love and Honor.)
07-23-2017 11:26 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Not really sure where the B12 needing to change or B10 Champ plays in this list. I did not replace a big 12 team. Not sure where the wish list impacted traditions. Would love to hear your reasoning for this. Trying to see what I am missing.

I tried more of expanding the B10/ACC bowl share idea and work to be include the SEC. Minimal bowls are lost but have different locations. Could see the P12 and B12 do the same with bowls against the B10. I think this concept would work well with all FBS.
07-23-2017 11:37 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(07-23-2017 11:37 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Not really sure where the B12 needing to change or B10 Champ plays in this list. I did not replace a big 12 team. Not sure where the wish list impacted traditions. Would love to hear your reasoning for this. Trying to see what I am missing.

I tried more of expanding the B10/ACC bowl share idea and work to be include the SEC. Minimal bowls are lost but have different locations. Could see the P12 and B12 do the same with bowls against the B10. I think this concept would work well with all FBS.

Your "proposed change" has the ACC champ playing the SEC champ and or the big 12 champ in the Orange Bowl right?
Currently:
The Rose Bowl: Big 10 champ vs PAC champ
The Sugar Bowl: SEC champ vs Big 12 champ
So how would the the ACC get to play either of the Big 10 or Big 12 champions when the Rose and Sugar already have them? How would that not impact traditions? Unless you aren't saying the ACC is not getting a Big 10/SEC opponent in the Orange Bowl? Isn't that what you already have? I don't get the tier 1 proposed change part.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2017 11:55 AM by billybobby777.)
07-23-2017 11:51 AM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(07-23-2017 11:26 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  This is a pie-in-the-sky scenario, but here's what the MAC would have in a dream world:
1. Citrus vs SEC - The MAC actually had this tie-in during the early seventies, Miami won all three matchups. Would be easy for me to drive to as well.
2. Detroit vs Big Ten - This bowl was something when we were in it, they should've never given our tie-in to the ACC.
3. Las Vegas vs MWC - Vegas was our main tie-in with the WAC in the nineties, and it's a million times better than going to Boise.
4. Indianapolis vs AAC - Take our Boise tie-in here and give the MWC one of the AAC's games, it's a nice dome and not too far from a couple American teams.
5. Mobile vs Sun Belt - City supports the game well, we have some tradition here against the Belt.
Secondary 1: Frisco - We never bowls in Texas, this would mix things up and might be good for recruiting.

I'm under no illusion that's ever going to happen, so here's what I'd say for the 'realistic' scenario:
1. Detroit vs Big Ten - A few more games like last year (who wants to see Maryland vs BC in Detroit?) and there's a small chance they'd take us back.

3. Las Vegas "Vegas was our man tie in with the WAC in the 90's.--No. The Big West champ played the MAC champ in the 90's. When UNLV left the WAC, the bowl left with them and the MAC never played in it after that. Starting with The 1997 Las Vegas Bowl, it dropped the MAC and Big West and became a WAC/MWC vs PAC Bowl. The MAC never played 1 single game vs the WAC or MWC in the Las Vegas Bowl.
07-23-2017 12:00 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-23-2017 11:25 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Proposed change
Tier 1 add

Mid-Tier 4-7
- Belk vs SEC
- Sun vs P12
- Pinstripe vs B10

Bottom-Tier

Can I also safely assume you want the #10 ACC team to play against the AAC champ in your Military/Indy scenario? If that happens, Aresco will have to step down. That would just be too embarrassing....

Or SEC since it is split. I just don't get why the AAC thinks the other conferences especially P5 want to play the AAC champ in bowls. They have been pretty clear, they send lowest tier bowl qualifying opponents to G5 bowl opponents. It is not a silo when these deals are cut. Do you think ESPN is saying "We will demand AAC gets better bowls over the conferences that are our bread and butter that we invested a whole bunch of money in"? P5s prefer they have multiple teams in the CFP games. The low tier bowls are in case they have too many Elgible teams. BTW, if I am not mistaken, 2014 Co-Champs UCF and Cinci and 2016 Champs lost in the ACC low tier bowl games. 7-5 NCSU beat 9-3 UCF, 6-6 VT beat 9-3 Cinci and 6-6 Wake beat 10-3 Temple. 04-cheers
07-23-2017 12:02 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-23-2017 11:51 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(07-23-2017 11:37 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Not really sure where the B12 needing to change or B10 Champ plays in this list. I did not replace a big 12 team. Not sure where the wish list impacted traditions. Would love to hear your reasoning for this. Trying to see what I am missing.

Your "proposed change" has the ACC champ playing the SEC champ and or the big 12 champ in the Orange Bowl right?
Currently:
The Rose Bowl: Big 10 champ vs PAC champ
The Sugar Bowl: SEC champ vs Big 12 champ
So how would the the ACC get to play either of the Big 10 or Big 12 champions when the Rose and Sugar already have them? How would that not impact traditions? Unless you aren't saying the ACC is not getting a Big 10/SEC opponent in the Orange Bowl? Isn't that what you already have? I don't get the tier 1 proposed change part.

I think you missed the part of already locked in 2019-20 or confused Champ for the opponent. Orange ACC Champ vs SEC, B10 or ND as it currently stands. As well as the Orlando bowl if Big 10.

The changw was moving #2 to Gator/Outback and CW Orlando/Liberty down to #3 to end Tire 1. Then start mid-tier at 4-7.

Does that help clarify what I was trying to show?
07-23-2017 12:15 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(07-23-2017 12:02 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  
(07-23-2017 11:25 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Proposed change
Tier 1 add

Mid-Tier 4-7
- Belk vs SEC
- Sun vs P12
- Pinstripe vs B10

Bottom-Tier

Or SEC since it is split. I just don't get why the AAC thinks the other conferences especially P5 want to play the AAC champ in bowls. They have been pretty clear, they send lowest tier bowl qualifying opponents to G5 bowl opponents. It is not a silo when these deals are cut. Do you think ESPN is saying "We will demand AAC gets better bowls over the conferences that are our bread and butter that we invested a whole bunch of money in"? P5s prefer they have multiple teams in the CFP games. The low tier bowls are in case they have too many Elgible teams. BTW, if I am not mistaken, 2014 Co-Champs UCF and Cinci and 2016 Champs lost in the ACC low tier bowl games. 7-5 NCSU beat 9-3 UCF, 6-6 VT beat 9-3 Cinci and 6-6 Wake beat 10-3 Temple. 04-cheers

I'd like the Military Bowl to continue on as an ACC vs AAC Bowl. But the AAC rep is usually going to be Navy. If Navy is 6-6 or if Navy is 9-3 it won't matter. No, I don't think ESPN is demanding that the AAC get any better bowls. I do think it makes sense for the AAC to play 2 bowls vs the ACC. Look, I realize the AAC hasn't had the greatest numbers for Bowl attendence, but that's because the bowls where the AAC would thrive (Indy, Liberty) aren't available. The Bahamas, Miami Beach Bowls and Frisco bowls are damn near designed to make the conference look like it can't get good Bowl attendance. I know the Liberty bowl for example would do great with an AAC tie in because it did great with a CUSA tie in when we had it then. I want an AAC vs Big 12 #4/5 or SEC #6 match up in the Liberty for starters. I think that's realistic. The MWC gets the #6 PAC in the Las Vegas Bowl....
07-23-2017 12:28 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_to_co...Conference

Quote:Big Ten Conference

2016:

NOTE: Bowls submit preferences to conference, and conference actually assigns schools to bowls. Other than the Rose Bowl, all Big Ten bowls have agreed to have at least five different schools in their bowl over the 2014-19 contract cycle. Also, no school will appear in same bowl back-to-back years.[4]

- #1 College Football Playoff. Automatic berth to one of the New Year's Six bowl games, the Rose Bowl versus Pac-12 #1 in years Rose Bowl is not a CFP Semifinal.
- #2 The Orange Bowl versus ACC or the Citrus Bowl versus SEC. If a non-champion team is ranked higher than a non-champion from Southeastern Conference (SEC) and Notre Dame, the Big Ten will go to the Orange Bowl. The Big Ten will take spot minimum of three times each over 12 years, beginning in 2014; SEC also three-year minimum and Notre Dame no more than twice. In years the conference is not chosen for Orange, then the Citrus Bowl will get this selection.

Tier #1

- The Holiday Bowl versus Pac-12
- The Outback Bowl versus SEC

Tier #2

- The Pinstripe Bowl versus ACC
- The Music City Bowl or the TaxSlayer Bowl (formerly Gator) versus SEC. From 2014-19, the Music City and Taxslayer will each get Big Ten team three times. No Big Ten will appear in either bowl more than once each.
- The Foster Farms Bowl versus Pac-12

Tier #3

- The Quick Lane Bowl versus ACC
- The Heart of Dallas Bowl versus C-USA. This spot rotates with the Armed Forces Bowl from 2014–19, with each bowl getting a Big Ten team three times.

In my dream world, these bowls would be the every year bowls of the Big Ten:

- one bowl game in each "capital city" of the Big Ten: Chicago and NYC. So keep doing the Pinstripe, and create a new bowl in Chicago Wrigley Field (would be awesome)
- three bowl games in Florida: Orange/Citrus, Outback, and Gator
- three bowl games in the West vs the PAC: Las Vegas (new Raiders stadium), LA (new Rams/Chargers stadium), San Fran (49ers stadium, currently Foster Farms)

Don't care about San Diego, don't care about Texas, don't care about Detroit, don't care about Nashville. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2017 12:36 PM by MplsBison.)
07-23-2017 12:36 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(07-23-2017 12:00 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(07-23-2017 11:26 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  This is a pie-in-the-sky scenario, but here's what the MAC would have in a dream world:
3. Las Vegas vs MWC - Vegas was our main tie-in with the WAC in the nineties, and it's a million times better than going to Boise.

3. Las Vegas "Vegas was our man tie in with the WAC in the 90's.--No. The Big West champ played the MAC champ in the 90's. When UNLV left the WAC, the bowl left with them and the MAC never played in it after that. Starting with The 1997 Las Vegas Bowl, it dropped the MAC and Big West and became a WAC/MWC vs PAC Bowl. The MAC never played 1 single game vs the WAC or MWC in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Edited to reflect that, but all opponents the MAC played are current MWC teams. Like I said it ain't happening (MWC vs Pac is a much better fit in reality), but in a world where we're talking about the revitalization of the MAC-SEC Tangerine Bowl it's worth mentioning.
07-23-2017 01:40 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(07-23-2017 01:40 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
(07-23-2017 12:00 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Edited to reflect that, but all opponents the MAC played are current MWC teams. Like I said it ain't happening (MWC vs Pac is a much better fit in reality), but in a world where we're talking about the revitalization of the MAC-SEC Tangerine Bowl it's worth mentioning.

Hahahaha...got ya. I agree that the Detroit Bowl with a MAC vs Big 10 match up shouldn't be out of the question right now. Even now. That Bowl should be played. New Orleans Bowl with Belt champ vs low SEC should be played. Same with Vegas and MWC vs PAC and Liberty with the AAC vs an SEC match up. Those games sell. ESPN doesn't like these games because when their previous P5 loses they have to make excuses...
07-23-2017 02:09 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
No it should not be played. The Big Ten has no business playing the MAC in a bowl game.

As is, the Quick Lane bowl should be discontinued and moved to Chicago Wrigley Field. I wouldn't mind keeping it vs the ACC, though.
07-23-2017 02:52 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
If I could restructure the bowls for C-USA, I would change the ownership structure. ESPN owns too many of the bowl and ultimately has too much power over the match ups and time slots. So, the first thing we need to do is make sure our bowls are owned in partnership with the conferences they are tied to.

Here is the lineup I'd like to see, and I'm trying to keep it realistic.

C-USA West
Heart of Dallas Bowl- Cotton Bowl, Dallas vs. Big 12/Big10
Bluebonnet Bowl- Rice Stadium, Houston vs. AAC West (resurrected bowl game)
New Orleans Bowl- Superdome, New Orleans vs. Sun Belt

C-USA East
Nashville bowl game- Nissan Stadium, Nashville vs. ACC/MWC (new bowl game)
Boca Bowl- FAU Stadium, Boca Raton vs. AAC East
Virginia bowl game- Scott Stadium, Charlottesville vs. MAC (new bowl game)
07-23-2017 03:01 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Can/should the ACC and Big 12 flip something around with the Sun Bowl? That is a better location for the Big 12.
07-23-2017 03:57 PM
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-23-2017 03:57 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Can/should the ACC and Big 12 flip something around with the Sun Bowl? That is a better location for the Big 12.

I think from the ACC perspective, it would like to keep the PAC 12 tie-in. It has tie-ins with the other power 4. Granted I would love to see a the Vegas bowl become P12 vs ACC instead of the SUN but I think that will become P12 vs B10 replacing Foster Bowl.
07-23-2017 04:19 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
A significant improvement in the AAC bowl line up would require something out of the box. I think their best chance is to work directly with a network to create a new bowl for thier champ with an unbalanced 4-5 million dollar payout. The P5 would get 4 million and the AAC 1 million--a new bowl offering something like that might gain traction with a P5.

Otherwise, about all the AAC can do is incremental improvement. Try to land a few more full time ties in bowls with P5 opponents (like Ft Worth and the Heart of Dallas). Maybe use the unbalanced payout strategy to get the ACC to play in St Pete every year. Dump Hawaii and Boca. Add NOLA as one of their G5 vs G5 bowls. Its closer destination for more schools. Make a play for the Indy Bowl...maybe Aresco gets lucky there. If all else fails, I do think a series of bowls pitting G5 champs would be attractive to some network (the UH vs SDSU game in Vegas got great ratings). A G5 bowl for the AAC champ would represent a major failure for Aresco (even if it paid well), but it could feasibly be the only move left on the table if nothing falls his way. Like I said, I see some opportunities for some incremental improvement---but I dont see any Liberty/Belk level bowls without some sort of direct involvement with a network (which is fairly unlikley).
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2017 04:59 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-23-2017 04:55 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(07-23-2017 04:55 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  A significant improvement in the AAC bowl line up would require something out of the box. I think their best chance is to work directly with a network to create a new bowl for thier champ with an unbalanced 4-5 million dollar payout. The P5 would get 4 million and the AAC 1 million--a new bowl offering something like that might gain traction with a P5.

Otherwise, about all the AAC can do is incremental improvement. Try to land a few more full time ties in bowls with P5 opponents (like Ft Worth and the Heart of Dallas). Maybe use the unbalanced payout strategy to get the ACC to play in St Pete every year. Dump Hawaii and Boca. Add NOLA as one of their G5 vs G5 bowls. Its closer destination for more schools. Make a play for the Indy Bowl...maybe Aresco gets lucky there. If all else fails, I do think a series of bowls pitting G5 champs would be attractive to some network (the UH vs SDSU game in Vegas got great ratings). A G5 bowl for the AAC champ would represent a major failure for Aresco (even if it paid well), but it could feasibly be the only move left on the table if nothing falls his way. Like I said, I see some opportunities for some incremental improvement---but I dont see any Liberty/Belk level bowls without some sort of direct involvement with a network (which is fairly unlikley).

I don't know how accommodating the P5s are going to be towards Aresco when time comes to resign bowl agreements. I don't think they have been amused by the AAC's "P6" campaign.
07-23-2017 05:14 PM
clpp01 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arizona
For the Pac-12 excluding the playoff/access slots
1. Rose - Pac #1 vs BigTen #1
2A. Alamo - Pac #2/3 vs Big12 #2
2B. LA Bowl - Pac #2/3 vs BigTen #2/3 (taking the current Holiday bowl match up to LA and getting a slightly better team from the B1G due to increase in bowl payout).
3A. Emerald - Pac #4/5 vs BigTen #5
3B. Vegas - Pac #4/5 vs SEC #5
4. Sun - Pac #6 vs ACC #5
5. Holiday - Pac #7 vs MWC #1 (current Vegas bowl match-up relocating to SoCal, if they cant get stadium situation resolved move it to the Cactus Bowl)

Would like to see the Pac have at least one tie in with each of the power conferences and its long overdue to get a PAC/SEC bowl. Maybe switch the ACC/SEC tie ins to let the SEC have the closer bowl in the Sun Bowl and the ACC have the more tourist friendly Vegas Bowl to accommodate for distance.
07-23-2017 05:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.