Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaches
#1RiceOwl Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice
Coaches
It appears that we now only have one paid assistant coach, Pope, who does pitchers, clearly our weakest link last season. Wonder what our AD has in mind?
07-18-2017 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrbig Offline
Heisman

RE: Coaches
(07-18-2017 09:12 AM)#1RiceOwl Wrote:  It appears that we now only have one paid assistant coach, Pope, who does pitchers, clearly our weakest link last season. Wonder what our AD has in mind?

College baseball only has 2 paid assistant spots, correct? I assume that Coach Graham is the decision-maker with regard to the assistant coach vacancy left by Van Hook?

I wonder if any thought is being given to promoting volunteer assistant Coach Shepperd? I don't recall anyone mentioning him on the Parliament, even though he has been the with program 5 years now.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2017 10:28 AM by mrbig.)
07-18-2017 10:27 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(07-18-2017 10:27 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 09:12 AM)#1RiceOwl Wrote:  It appears that we now only have one paid assistant coach, Pope, who does pitchers, clearly our weakest link last season. Wonder what our AD has in mind?

College baseball only has 2 paid assistant spots, correct? I assume that Coach Graham is the decision-maker with regard to the assistant coach vacancy left by Van Hook?

I wonder if any thought is being given to promoting volunteer assistant Coach Shepperd? I don't recall anyone mentioning him on the Parliament, even though he has been the with program 5 years now.

I like Shep, and he does relate to the players, but I'd be shocked and disappointed if he's elevated to the other Assistant Coach spot. Van Hook's replacement should be a viable candidate to be The OG's replacement, as well as a quality recruiter and hitting coach. Scott doesn't fit any of those criteria.
07-18-2017 10:54 AM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

(07-18-2017 10:54 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 10:27 AM)mrbig Wrote:  

I like Shep, and he does relate to the players, but I'd be shocked and disappointed if he's elevated to the other Assistant Coach spot. Van Hook's replacement should be a viable candidate to be The OG's replacement, as well as a quality recruiter and hitting coach. Scott doesn't fit any of those criteria.

Do volunteer assistant coaches have a separate job that pays them?
07-18-2017 12:08 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

Rumor is shep to UIW
07-18-2017 12:49 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

Not sure how it works at Rice, but volunteer assistants often get a cut of the camp proceeds, etc.
07-18-2017 12:50 PM
Advertisement

Baconator Offline

I Root For: My Kids
New Orleans BowlDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Are we assuming that this will be Coach Graham's last year? I haven't seen an announcement that he's retiring.
07-18-2017 01:35 PM
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

With his contract ending after this next year, it's hard to imagine extending him. Is he the greatest coach of any sport in Rice history? Absolutely. But at 81, I'm not sure you can justify another extension.
07-18-2017 01:41 PM
kinderowl Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
Sheppherd is outstanding. I'd hate to see him go. Yes, volunteer coaches typically earn income via camps and lessons. IIRC VanHook is his brother in law.
07-18-2017 10:08 PM
Baconator Offline

I Root For: My Kids
New Orleans BowlDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(07-18-2017 01:41 PM)Owl1998 Wrote:  With his contract ending after this next year, it's hard to imagine extending him. Is he the greatest coach of any sport in Rice history? Absolutely. But at 81, I'm not sure you can justify another extension.

I agree. But if he is retiring, it would be good to have some sort of confirmation. This way the university can start working on the statue for out front of Reckling. The conference can begin planning the farewell tour. Most importantly the AD could start the process of hiring the next manager. I would be disappointed if there is not some clarity on this going into the spring.
07-19-2017 11:39 AM
kinderowl Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
Coaches
Shep is gone. UIW.
07-19-2017 01:26 PM
Advertisement

tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
(07-19-2017 11:39 AM)Baconator Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 01:41 PM)Owl1998 Wrote:  With his contract ending after this next year, it's hard to imagine extending him. Is he the greatest coach of any sport in Rice history? Absolutely. But at 81, I'm not sure you can justify another extension.

I agree. But if he is retiring, it would be good to have some sort of confirmation. This way the university can start working on the statue for out front of Reckling. The conference can begin planning the farewell tour. Most importantly the AD could start the process of hiring the next manager. I would be disappointed if there is not some clarity on this going into the spring.

I would assume that the path of Graham explicitly retiring will run smack into Graham's thoughts on the subject. And Graham's views on retiring may run counter to the AD's wishes on extension as well.

So the "if he is retiring" depends both on Graham's views/actions, and the response by the AD to that. And that is probably why there is no confirmation.
07-19-2017 03:32 PM
kinderowl Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
Coaches
Well, Walt's guess was wrong on whether Rice would offer Shepperd. Rice did. The better point would have been how to keep him when there's no solution on head coach. Answer is that Rice could not.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 04:03 PM by kinderowl.)
07-19-2017 04:03 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(07-19-2017 04:03 PM)kinderowl Wrote:  Well, Walt's guess was wrong on whether Rice would offer Shepperd. Rice did. The better point would have been how to keep him when there's no solution on head coach. Answer is that Rice could not.

If true, really sums up the current state of the baseball program. Graham is going to ruin something he built.

Lost an assistant to OU.
Offered an assistant who declined and went to UIW?

Have a coach who is more than 15 years past the retirement age entering the last year of his contract and public proclamation that he wants to coach more.
07-19-2017 04:42 PM
HawaiiOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
(07-19-2017 04:42 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 04:03 PM)kinderowl Wrote:  Well, Walt's guess was wrong on whether Rice would offer Shepperd. Rice did. The better point would have been how to keep him when there's no solution on head coach. Answer is that Rice could not.

If true, really sums up the current state of the baseball program. Graham is going to ruin something he built.

Lost an assistant to OU.

Have a coach who is more than 15 years past the retirement age entering the last year of his contract and public proclamation that he wants to coach more.

May have left not because he is not happy at Rice, but due to the uncertainty of whom the (new) head coach might be, and the right to choose their own assistants
07-19-2017 04:49 PM
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

If Shep was offered the assistant job and turned it down to join the UIW staff in the same position then I would guess that's not a good sign. I can't see how UIW would pay more than Rice for the same job. JK needs to make the tough decision and move the program into the next generation. Coach Graham deserves all the accolades he can get for the final year of his contract but it's time to put a transition plan in place. I know of some recruits who are wondering what the future holds. We've already lost one....losing another one or two would start a chain reaction.
07-19-2017 04:53 PM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(07-19-2017 04:49 PM)HawaiiOwl Wrote:  

Lost an assistant to OU.

May have left not because he is not happy at Rice, but due to the uncertainty of whom the (new) head coach might be, and the right to choose their own assistants

Good point. I'm more disappointed in losing Shep than Van Hook. As for Van Hook, his leaving is perfectly understandable given Skip Johnson is his mentor-- from both the JUCO ranks and then at UT. (BTW, from what I've heard, Skip Johnson very much wanted to leave UH and replace Hallmark as pitching coach last year. He was not one of the finalists for the position.)

Quote:Kendall Rogers‏Verified account @KendallRogersD1 5h5 hours ago
More
Scott Shepperd is moving over from @RiceBaseball to join Hallmark at @UIWBaseball. #UIW also keeping assistant Ryan Aguayo on staff. #SLC
2 replies 14 retweets 20 likes
Reply 2 Retweet 14 Like 20 Direct message
1 more reply
Kendall Rogers‏Verified account @KendallRogersD1 5h5 hours ago
More
Replying to @d1owls4life
Yep. Owls will not hire for another couple of weeks, per sources.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 05:05 PM by waltgreenberg.)
07-19-2017 04:58 PM
kinderowl Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
Coaches
It's true. Shepperd is a great guy for Rice. Just a top notch guy who liked it here. I don't doubt he will do well.
07-19-2017 05:15 PM
kinderowl Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
Coaches
(07-19-2017 04:53 PM)Owl1998 Wrote:  If Shep was offered the assistant job and turned it down to join the UIW staff in the same position then I would guess that's not a good sign. I can't see how UIW would pay more than Rice for the same job. JK needs to make the tough decision and move the program into the next generation. Coach Graham deserves all the accolades he can get for the final year of his contract but it's time to put a transition plan in place. I know of some recruits who are wondering what the future holds. We've already lost one....losing another one or two would start a chain reaction.

Chance to stay as assistant coach with two apparently intractable sides making it look like there's a high likelihood of losing the job in a year versus go as an assistant coach with a longer deal and a coach you've worked with and like. Shepperd is young and has a family.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 05:22 PM by kinderowl.)
07-19-2017 05:21 PM
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

(07-19-2017 04:58 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 04:49 PM)HawaiiOwl Wrote:  

Lost an assistant to OU.

Good point. I'm more disappointed in losing Shep than Van Hook. As for Van Hook, his leaving is perfectly understandable given Skip Johnson is his mentor-- from both the JUCO ranks and then at UT. (BTW, from what I've heard, Skip Johnson very much wanted to leave UH and replace Hallmark as pitching coach last year. He was not one of the finalists for the position.)

Quote:Kendall Rogers‏Verified account @KendallRogersD1 5h5 hours ago
More
Scott Shepperd is moving over from @RiceBaseball to join Hallmark at @UIWBaseball. #UIW also keeping assistant Ryan Aguayo on staff. #SLC
2 replies 14 retweets 20 likes
Reply 2 Retweet 14 Like 20 Direct message
1 more reply
Kendall Rogers‏Verified account @KendallRogersD1 5h5 hours ago
More
Replying to @d1owls4life
Yep. Owls will not hire for another couple of weeks, per sources.

Walt, Skip wasn't at UH. He was at Texas before OU. Not sure where you're getting this info.
07-19-2017 05:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.