ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA Media Days (Wed July 19- Thur July 20, 2017) in Dallas
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
CUSA Media Days (Wed July 19- Thur July 20, 2017) in Dallas
Here's a link to C-USA's July 13 news release on the event, which will be held Wed-Thurs (July 19-20) in Dallas: http://conferenceusa.com/news/2017/7/13/...70015.aspx

" ... head coaches and two student-athletes from each school will be on hand to preview the upcoming season."

Here are the biographies of the participating two student-athletes from each school: http://conferenceusa.com/documents/2017/...df?id=6287 Here's a link to C-USA's July 13 news release on the event, which will be held Wed-Thurs (July 18-19) in Dallas: http://conferenceusa.com/news/2017/7/13/...70015.aspx

" ... head coaches and two student-athletes from each school will be on hand to preview the upcoming season."

Surprised Ray Lawry is not one of the two representatives for this years event. Maybe Lawry was the invite last year. I don't recall who went in 2016.

Media Days Old Dominion University 2017

Brandon Addison, Old Dominion #1 Cornerback, 5-10, 175, R-Sr.-2L Suffolk, Virginia (Western Branch HS)

Jonathan Duhart, Old Dominion #21 Wide Receiver, 6-3, 221, Sr. -3L Midlothian, Virginia (Manchester HS)
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2017 09:34 AM by ODU Oldtimer.)
07-17-2017 09:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: CUSA Media Days (Wed July 19- Thur July 20, 2017) in Dallas
Lawry is not a team captain, is he?
07-17-2017 10:37 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Lawry isn't a team cap. Last years captains were Pascal, Washington, Coward and Ricks. As much as I like watching Ray Lawry he has had past issues with winter and spring workout programs. I want to say he has even stated himself he doesn't like practice much.
07-17-2017 10:52 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-17-2017 10:52 AM)AimHigh Wrote:  Lawry isn't a team cap. Last years captains were Pascal, Washington, Coward and Ricks. As much as I like watching Ray Lawry he has had past issues with winter and spring workout programs. I want to say he has even stated himself he doesn't like practice much.

I love watching Lawry play and he seems like an outstanding young man. But, I danced around the issue and you stated it. He's been suspended in the past and is not a team captain. The best players are not necessarily the best leaders.
07-17-2017 10:54 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Anyone this Lawry will transfer since he has one year remaining of eligibility?
07-17-2017 11:06 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(07-17-2017 11:06 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  Anyone this Lawry will transfer since he has one year remaining of eligibility?

^ you sure about that?
07-17-2017 11:07 AM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

(07-17-2017 11:06 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  Anyone this Lawry will transfer since he has one year remaining of eligibility?

This is his last year of eligibility (barring an injury, requiring a RS). If he was going to transfer, it would have happened by now.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2017 11:12 AM by Monarchist13.)
07-17-2017 11:11 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

He never redshirted, meaning that if he graduates he can transfer to another school as a graduate transfer. Im pretty sure. Tell me if im wrong. I think that is what Jon Arledge did with basketball.
07-17-2017 11:13 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Ray isn't going to leave, to late in the game. Even though he may not be a captain this year in my mind he is the face of the program.
07-17-2017 11:22 AM
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

(07-17-2017 11:13 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  He never redshirted, meaning that if he graduates he can transfer to another school as a graduate transfer. Im pretty sure. Tell me if im wrong. I think that is what Jon Arledge did with basketball.

He will have used (ALL) 4 years of eligibility, (if he plays this year at ODU...obviously that appears to be his intention). A red-shirt is not an issue if the 4 years are used. The 4th year of eligibility would come into play if, he HAD red-shirted during his time at ODU and used only 3 years of his NCAA allowable eligibility. At that point if he completed an undergraduate degree program at ODU and still had a 4th year available due to the red-shirt, he could transfer to another FBS program and play immediately.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2017 11:25 AM by ODU Oldtimer.)
07-17-2017 11:23 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

If he graduated by now, he could transfer and be a graduate transfer without sitting a year. I would assume it is way too late in the game to do that with spring practice coming up and teams having roster pretty set. You don't see it as much in football bc you have such a learning curve that it is hard to transfer and play in 1 year. Really pointless for Lawry, what would he gain by transferring somewhere else?
07-17-2017 11:26 AM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

(07-17-2017 11:13 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  He never redshirted, meaning that if he graduates he can transfer to another school as a graduate transfer. Im pretty sure. Tell me if im wrong. I think that is what Jon Arledge did with basketball.

You have 5 years to play 4 seasons (6 if you suffer an injury). Ray has played 3 seasons already. If he plays this year, he's out of eligibility.

He would need to transfer soon, like the next 2 weeks. It ain't happening.
07-17-2017 11:27 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Since he did NOT redshirt, he will have used his 4 years of eligibility. Grad Transfers typically have only used 3 years of eligibility and transfer because they have graduated in 3 years and (theoretically) their school doesn't offer a grad program they are interested in.

At least I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
07-17-2017 11:33 AM
MonarchCAM Offline
Special Teams

Preseason picks from CUSA
2017 C-USA Football Coaches Preseason Awards

Offensive Player of the Year
Mike White, Sr., QB, WKU

Defensive Player of the Year
Emmanuel Ellerbee, Sr., LB, Rice

Special Teams Players of the Year
Kylen Towner, Sr., KR, WKU

Offense
QB Mike White, Sr., WKU
RB Ray Lawry, Sr., Old Dominion
RB Ito Smith, Sr., Southern Miss
OL O’Shea Dugas, Jr., Louisiana Tech
OL Will Hernandez, Sr., UTEP
OL Trey Martin, Sr., Rice
OL Austin Pratt, Sr., UTSA
OL Brandon Ray, Sr., WKU
TE Ryan Yurachek, Sr., Marshall
WR Richie James, Jr., Middle Tennessee
WR Jonathan Duhart, Sr., Old Dominion
WR Allenzae Staggers, Sr., Southern Miss

Defense
DL Marcus Davenport, Sr., UTSA
DL Jaylon Ferguson, So., Louisiana Tech
DL Chris Johnson, Sr., WKU
DL Oshane Ximines, Jr., Old Dominion
LB Emmanuel Ellerbee, Sr., Rice
LB Alvin Jones, Sr., UTEP
LB Josiah Tauaefa, So., UTSA
LB Anthony Wint, Sr., FIU
DB Brandon Addison, Sr., Old Dominion
DB Nate Brooks, Jr., North Texas
DB Joe Brown, Sr., WKU
DB Kishawn McClain, Sr., North Texas

Special Teams
K Canon Rooker, Sr., Middle Tennessee
P Jake Collins, Jr., WKU
KR Kylen Towner, Sr., WKU
PR Nacarius Fant, Sr., WKU
LS Matt Bayliss, Sr., UTSA
07-17-2017 11:43 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

This is not in relations to Ray but more of the dark side of college football that avg fans may not know. Because a player is a 4th year senior doesn't mean they're academically a 4th year senior on paper. If a player took the bare minimum courses needed to meet NCAA rules to play, their playing days will end long before they earn their degree if they took the minimum credit hours per semester.
07-17-2017 11:49 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

We've come a long way, folks. Along with the Hill Toppers, the Monarchs have more players on the combined offense and defense (4) than any of the other teams (Lawry, Duhart, Ximines and Addison). When you include special teams, WKU has a total of eight.
07-17-2017 12:44 PM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

If you include special teams I believe UTSA also has 4.

Someone help me out here. Webeat (barely) UTSA at their place and beat them fairly convincingly at home last year. Why are they so highly regarded this year?
07-17-2017 02:20 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-17-2017 02:20 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  If you include special teams I believe UTSA also has 4.

Someone help me out here. Webeat (barely) UTSA at their place and beat them fairly convincingly at home last year. Why are they so highly regarded this year?

Because last years team means nothing in relation to this years? How many people do they have coming back vs. us? Do they have an established QB? Do we? Etc.
07-17-2017 02:25 PM
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

(07-17-2017 02:25 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 02:20 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  If you include special teams I believe UTSA also has 4.

Because last years team means nothing in relation to this years? How many people do they have coming back vs. us? Do they have an established QB? Do we? Etc.

According to Phil Steele UTSA and ODU are tied for the number of returning starters for 2017. We are tied for the 48th place among the 129, ( UAB is not included in the 130 FBS programs). Here are the numbers.....

#48 UTSA Total of 14 -7 on offense / 7 on defense and UTSA has a returning QB Starter.

#48 Old Dominion Total of 14 - 8 on offense / 6 on defense and ODU has NO returning QB Starter.

UTSA should be improvement on offense in Year 2 with their new coach, Frank Wilson. The Roadrunners progressed from 104th to 65th in points scored per game last season on route to their 1st ever Bowl game (The New Mexico Bowl), in Frank Wilsons first year.

Quarterback Dalton Sturm will be back for his senior season. He had 20 passing touchdowns, four rushing TDs and just six interceptions. The dual-threat QB had four games where he completed 65 percent of his passes and four he was under 50 percent, so consistency will be a key factor for him in 2017.

Solid depth at wide receiver, returning starters (and brothers) Josh Stewart and Kerry Thomas Jr., and a running back (Jalen Rhodes) who had 827 rushing yards, nine TDs. The biggest variable for the 2017 UTSA offense is the offensive line. The Roadrunners have surrendered a mind-boggling 87 sacks the last two seasons, a number that must come down. The interior of the line returns, two star tackles and will have a new Junior college transfer - 6-7/300 Josh Dunlop who will be outstanding rated at .7967 as a Jr College transfer he enrolled in Jan 17.

According to Underdog Dynasty - Offensive Tackles: Who’s Going to Beef Up this Line?.... "The two anticipated starters are Josh Dunlop and Reed Darragh. Dunlop is a 6’7” two-star sophomore transfer from Dodge City CC (Kansas). His towering size will add some beef to the line where it’s needed most. Darragh has been a major component to the unit dating back to 2015 when he racked up 46 knockdown blocks. He’s not the largest guy on the line but he makes up for it with sound technique - especially in run blocking."

More info UTSA .... https://www.underdogdynasty.com/universi...bj-daniels

Hope this helps
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2017 08:44 AM by ODU Oldtimer.)
07-18-2017 08:40 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

Yep, Sturm will be back, but as I recall, against the Monarchs defense last year, he was benched after throwing an interception just before halftime and losing a fumble just after halftime. The year before, he failed to win the game after sliding short of a first down inside the ten yard line. Then on fourth down, he threw the ball out of the corner of the end zone on the last play of the game. My point being that just because they have a QB returning, that does not necessarily mean that they will be better off at the position than we will with a new QB.
07-18-2017 09:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.