ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mens Basketball game vs Norfolk State at the Scope is now "Throwback Night"
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Mens Basketball game vs Norfolk State at the Scope is now "Throwback Night"
Quote:The Old Dominion men's basketball team will take on crosstown rival Norfolk State on Dec. 22, 2017 at Norfolk Scope at 7:00 p.m. This game will be themed 'Throwback Night' and will be included in ODU's season ticket package.

“We look forward to our game against Norfolk State as we wind up our non-conference portion of our 2017-18 schedule,” said ODU Director of Athletics Dr. Wood Selig. “Two years ago at the Ted, the atmosphere was electric and the game was a sellout, as we raised thousands of pounds of donated food items for the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia during the always critical Holiday season. Playing in a larger venue will allow more basketball fans of both institutions to attend this season's contest while both institutions continue to support our local community.”

To add a nostalgic twist to this crosstown rivalry, the Monarchs will theme this game as a 'Throwback Night'. For most of the 1980's and 90's, ODU played the majority of its home games at Norfolk Scope. The Monarchs plan to do throwback uniforms for the game, reflective of some of the University's jerseys from that era. More details will follow at a later date.

The Monarchs and Spartans have met 18 previous times, with ODU leading the all-time series, 12-6. These two schools last met on Dec. 29, 2015, as 8,472 fans at the Ted Constant Convocation Center saw Old Dominion prevail, 68-57. The Monarchs have claimed victory in six of the last seven meetings.

The showdown on Dec. 22, 2017 will be included in Old Dominion's season ticket package. The deadline for renewing season tickets is Aug. 4. For more information on renewing season tickets or becoming an ODU Basketball season ticket holder, please contact the ODU Box Office at 757-683-4444.

http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...=211647197

I know that the game vs NSU being played at Scope has caused some gripes on this board, but I have been a big fan of the move since it was announced. I think its good for the city of Norfolk. And, now there's one more reason for me to be excited. Pulling the most important info from this article:

Quote:The Monarchs plan to do throwback uniforms for the game, reflective of some of the University's jerseys from that era. [80s-90s] More details will follow at a later date.

*airhorn**airhorn**airhorn**airhorn**airhorn**airhorn**airhorn*

Awwwwwwwwww yeah! Here's hoping for some light blue and having "Old Dominion" spelled out again!
07-12-2017 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
RE: Mens Basketball game vs Norfolk State at the Scope is now "Throwback Night"
Damn you beat me to it haha, I just posted a thread about this.

I'm excited to see what UA comes up with for our throwbacks. Maybe it will be silver or light blue, and yes I sure hope it says "Old Dominion" on it haha
07-12-2017 10:38 AM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

(07-12-2017 10:38 AM)MonGNARch Wrote:  Damn you beat me to it haha, I just posted a thread about this.

I'm excited to see what UA comes up with for our throwbacks. Maybe it will be silver or light blue, and yes I sure hope it says "Old Dominion" on it haha

Great minds think alike!

Yeah, I'd be excited if either Silver or Light Blue is chosen. Really happy to see we're getting alternate uniforms for basketball again.

If light blue is chosen, wouldn't it be cool if NSU wore their yellows/greens? An intra-city rivalry at a neutral site is the perfect occasion for a color v color game.
07-12-2017 10:47 AM
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
Please don't be those big "OLD" and little "Dominion" jersey's. I prefer the Paul Webb era uni's...
07-12-2017 11:35 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

Great 03-snooty We are playing NSU on a neutral floor. How wonderful is that? This will certainly help our SOS / RPI. I guess this is the best game we could find to fill the hole we had in our schedule.
07-12-2017 11:51 AM
Mo Blue Den You Offline
1st String

(07-12-2017 11:51 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Great 03-snooty We are playing NSU on a neutral floor. How wonderful is that? This will certainly help our SOS / RPI. I guess this is the best game we could find to fill the hole we had in our schedule.

Whomp whomp whomp whomppppp. Gather around Debbie Downers, the show has begun!
07-12-2017 11:54 AM
Advertisement

odu09 Offline
Heisman

As stated in the article, this is a big game for the community - last season it was a sell out or close to it and was a successful food drive.
07-12-2017 12:13 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

So I guess this means we should see renewal/seat selection info in the mail soon then
07-12-2017 12:14 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(07-12-2017 11:54 AM)Mo Blue Den You Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 11:51 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Great 03-snooty We are playing NSU on a neutral floor. How wonderful is that? This will certainly help our SOS / RPI. I guess this is the best game we could find to fill the hole we had in our schedule.

Why not at the TED ? We must have been desperate ??? I woul dhave rather us play a decent potential RPI boosting team on the road vs this game on a neutral floor. If at the TED then....OK. In this case we lose revenue !
07-12-2017 12:26 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(07-12-2017 12:26 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 11:54 AM)Mo Blue Den You Wrote:  

Why not at the TED ? We must have been desperate ??? I woul dhave rather us play a decent potential RPI boosting team on the road vs this game on a neutral floor. If at the TED then....OK. In this case we lose revenue !

The coaches want to play each other, which makes sense given our extensive travel itinerary.

And according to the Pilot (see link below), the city has been lobbying for us to play each other at the Scope for years. Doesn't hurt to make the local pols happy.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...47df1.html

For other hoops STH, this game is included in the season ticket package. I'm happy to hear that as I'm sure others will be.

Could be worse, we could be playing at Echols.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 12:47 PM by Monarchist13.)
07-12-2017 12:45 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

So I guess I'm confused. Which should give you an idea of how confused I am that I'm confused about being confused.

The original Pilot article described this as a neutral-court game in which ODU will be designated the home team. But the game is part of ODU's season-ticket package, and the press release states that ODU is theming it Throwback Night (as opposed to a group organizing it as a neutral-site event). Does that mean it's actually a home game being played at Scope?
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 12:54 PM by Cyniclone.)
07-12-2017 12:48 PM
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

(07-12-2017 12:48 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  So I guess I'm confused. Which should give you an idea of how confused I am that I'm confused about being confused.

The original Pilot article described this as a neutral-court game in which ODU will be designated the home team. But the game is part of ODU's season-ticket package, and the press release states that ODU is theming it Throwback Night (as opposed to a group organizing it as a neutral-site event). Does that mean it's actually a home game being played at Scope?

I would imagine that it's being organized as a neutral site game, and ODU is using the opportunity to give it pomp and circumstance. ODU is theming it "Throwback Night", but that doesn't necessarily mean that the event itself will be advertised "Throwback Night" at large. Right now, the only thing making it a throwback that they've announced is an alternate uniform, which is well within the realm of wiggle room for a neutral site game.

In regards to the season tickets, ODU might have something in the contract allowing for them to distribute a certain amount of tickets, and ODU might be essentially selling them at cost to season ticket holders as a pot-sweetener. It's also a good way to boost attendance numbers for a game that will be right near the holidays.

It could be either, but I'm not sure what the difference between "true-neutral site" and "home game at the scope" would ultimately be.
07-12-2017 01:06 PM
Old Dominion Online
Heisman

Scope holds a couple thousand more fans than the TED. If the game is a sellout, it'll make for a nice atmosphere. I look at it this way. If we're playing a MEAC team, I'd rather it be Norfolk State where there is some element of local bragging rights and a sold out game at scope for atmosphere. I have no problem with this game. Beats playing UMES at a half empty TED.
07-12-2017 02:10 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
FWIW - This game was scheduled and known months ago, it is/was not the needed home game we have been trying to find for the last month or so after a school backed out on us. *(Actually make that 2 months - sorry I suffer from OFS)
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 03:00 PM by ETSUDB8-79.)
07-12-2017 02:59 PM
Old Dominion Online
Heisman

Dr. Chandler made it clear we were not going to hit a home run, in fact all we're getting is a sacrifice pop fly.
07-12-2017 03:51 PM
Oduniceguy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big Blue Beast
Bring back the gray unis! Lol
07-12-2017 04:13 PM
Advertisement

AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(07-12-2017 02:10 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Scope holds a couple thousand more fans than the TED. If the game is a sellout, it'll make for a nice atmosphere. I look at it this way. If we're playing a MEAC team, I'd rather it be Norfolk State where there is some element of local bragging rights and a sold out game at scope for atmosphere. I have no problem with this game. Beats playing UMES at a half empty TED.

Agree.
07-12-2017 04:32 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2017 02:59 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  FWIW - This game was scheduled and known months ago, it is/was not the needed home game we have been trying to find for the last month or so after a school backed out on us. *(Actually make that 2 months - sorry I suffer from OFS)

Who backed out on us?
07-12-2017 06:34 PM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
(07-12-2017 06:34 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 02:59 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  FWIW - This game was scheduled and known months ago, it is/was not the needed home game we have been trying to find for the last month or so after a school backed out on us. *(Actually make that 2 months - sorry I suffer from OFS)

Who backed out on us?

St. Bonaventure
07-12-2017 08:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
(07-12-2017 08:01 PM)devyanks90 Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 06:34 PM)monarx Wrote:  

Who backed out on us?

St. Bonaventure

That is what I heard as well.
07-12-2017 08:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.