Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Would a Successful 2017 Football Season Look Like?
Bookmark and Share
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
With a move to FBS forthcoming, Liberty has one final go at FCS football. As we all know, this season is a lame duck as Liberty can't make the FCS playoffs, nor can they make an FBS bowl. In other words, there is no postseason for the football team no matter what. So what would a successful season look like for Liberty? Is improving on last year's 6-5 season good enough? Is it just beating Baylor? What is everyone's thoughts?
07-03-2017 07:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
I think 7-4 is successful.
I expect 8-3 to make me happy.
07-03-2017 08:18 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
RE: What Would a Successful 2017 Football Season Look Like?
(07-03-2017 08:18 PM)army56mike Wrote:  I think 7-4 is successful.
I expect 8-3 to make me happy.

Anything below 8-3 is a bust. The schedule is soft with only two really tough games. With added scholarships y'all should put muscle most of the teams on the schedule. Gill needs 8 wins to secure his job in my mind.
07-03-2017 08:55 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I would like a minimum of 8 wins although Baylor may count for two. Maybe not because if we beat Baylor to start the season then my expectations will really increase.

If we win 6 games then I'd be really disappointed and expect Gil to move on. If we win 7 I'll be disappointed and have to look at why we only won 7. Were there a rash of injuries? Did we redshirt a lot of players to save them for FBS? Did we blow some games we should have won? We historically underachieve and we need to hold ourselves to a higher standard so 8 wins and a "would have been if we were eligible" unofficial Big South championship is my benchmark for a successful year.
07-03-2017 09:29 PM
Advertisement

SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Surrounded by BU alumni, I'd take the season opening win and call it a success regardless of what follows. But since that is a tall order, I agree that 8 wins is what we need to achieve to consider this season a step forward.
07-04-2017 08:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(07-04-2017 08:06 AM)SlyFox Wrote:  Surrounded by BU alumni, I'd take the season opening win and call it a success regardless of what follows. But since that is a tall order, I agree that 8 wins is what we need to achieve to consider this season a step forward.

Okay let me rephrase my answer. Beat Baylor 1-10 is a success. Lose to Baylor 8-3 minimum for Gill.
07-04-2017 10:13 AM
army56mike Offline

Yes, we need to win the BSC, even though we aren't eligible. Leave shiwing them who is the boss.
07-04-2017 08:07 PM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
From an outsider, the absolute most important thing is to put on a show for the fans and leave them wanting more. While winning is important, not getting blown out is the single most important thing you can do. People simply don't want to return when they have witness their team getting taken down prior to the start of the second half.

I think back to a few season's ago, 2011, we had a home game against Maine. They have almost always been a tough team for the Dukes to put away, but we have a far superior overall record over the history of games between the two teams. However, that one game we went into OT and we lost with our scoring a TD first in OT their coming back with a TD of their own and making a two point conversion for the win. The loss had little residual effect on the fans. We were entertained with a close game which could have gone either way.

This season is a must "entertain your fans" season. I'd be prepared to shoot off after game fireworks, get your fans involved in "in-game" promotions, and any other gimmick you can come up with to make them feel appreciated for supporting the team throughout this upcoming season. I even think the coach should take the lead role by calling for some gadget plays. Fans love them, as it makes them wonder what going to be called next.
07-07-2017 07:58 AM
WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
I’ll answer this in a different way given the unique situation. A successful 2017 outcome is to see the freshmen through junior classes grow and development as much as possible in preparation for the 2018 FBS season. This would also include any seniors who will stay for a fifth year in 2018. The 2018 season is a new level and a new era for LU football. Number of wins in 2017 will be an indicator of growth and development. Overall play as well. Winning the Baylor game would be huge for the program and it is the most important game on the 2017 schedule IMO.
07-07-2017 10:07 AM
voss749 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FAU
As a comparison FAU in its transition season to FBS went 9-3. So 8-4 is not an unreasonable expectation and 6-6 would be a disappointment.
07-12-2017 10:07 PM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

And the following year went 2-9 right?
07-18-2017 05:46 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(07-18-2017 05:46 AM)army56mike Wrote:  And the following year went 2-9 right?

I've been adamant that 8-3 is the bar for Gill imo.
07-18-2017 06:52 AM
voss749 Offline
Special Teams

The first 3 years in full FBS we went 2-9, 5-7, and then 8-5 winning the sunbelt
07-20-2017 10:42 AM
Advertisement

voss749 Offline
Special Teams

Also realize we played 4 money games that year.

Kansas
Minnesota
Oklahoma State
Louisville

So We were not going to win a whole lot of games that year anyway.
07-20-2017 10:44 AM
army56mike Offline

I'm wasn't trying to question the FAU program. I appreciate them and have followed them ever since Schnellenberger started the whole thing up. He is our hometown hero. I just wasn't sure comparing schedule results was the way to go. I'd love for LU to ein like FAU did, but it's a different time with different circumstances.
07-20-2017 05:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.