Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A new record for Louisville Athletics
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Louisville's Brendan McKay won the Golden Spikes Award as the top amateur baseball player. First time that a school has produced both the Golden Spikes and Heisman Trophy winners in the same academic year. Lamar Jackson took home the Heisman.

Congrats to the Cardinals

http://web.usabaseball.com/article.jsp?y...y=news_gsa
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2017 01:22 AM by jdgaucho.)
06-30-2017 01:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
RE: A new record for Louisville Athletics
(06-30-2017 01:21 AM)jdgaucho Wrote:  Louisville's Brendan McKay won the Golden Spikes Award as the top amateur baseball player. First time that a school has produced both the Golden Spikes and Heisman Trophy winners in the same academic year. Lamar Jackson took home the Heisman.

It's amazing what happens when you put the former CUSA schools on an equal playing field as the former BCS schools. Look what both Louisville and TCU have accomplished in the last 20 years. If only they would allow the schools like Houston, Cincinnati, ECU, SMU, UCF, and South Florida to do the same.
06-30-2017 07:10 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(06-30-2017 07:10 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  
(06-30-2017 01:21 AM)jdgaucho Wrote:  Louisville's Brendan McKay won the Golden Spikes Award as the top amateur baseball player. First time that a school has produced both the Golden Spikes and Heisman Trophy winners in the same academic year. Lamar Jackson took home the Heisman.

It's amazing what happens when you put the former CUSA schools on an equal playing field as the former BCS schools. Look what both Louisville and TCU have accomplished in the last 20 years. If only they would allow the schools like Houston, Cincinnati, ECU, SMU, UCF, and South Florida to do the same.

I wish I could agree but the facts seem to show that U of L is an exception, not the rule as to what to expect. E.g., I look at my USF, which is very comparable to Louisville because we both became AQ at the same time, 2005. While USF did a good job of investing our power money during the years we had it - our athletic facilities across the board are much improved - Louisville did even better, and in the most crucial area - fan support.

That's the big area where USF came up short: Despite our significant facilities upgrades, we just never were able to sizeably improve our fan base during those power years. Yes, we generated some excitement when our football team made a splash circa 2007, but it wasn't sustainable.

OTOH, Louisville was able to not only build up their facilities, but also with regards to football, significantly build up its fan base (UL had a massive basketball fan base all along, but lacked it in football. Not anymore).

And in the end, it's the fan base that drives "power" status.

Truth is, the 8 years in the AQ showed that, in terms of the crucial areas of football and basketball fan support, USF just wasn't, and isn't, quite ready for Power status. And no, it is no answer to that to point out that USF has more football support than several schools already in the P5. Since those schools are in fact in the P5, their support isn't up for discussion. Since we aren't, ours is.

Until we can get more members of the vast USF student/staff/alumni nation to commit to supporting athletics, as Louisville has, we won't be.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2017 07:59 AM by quo vadis.)
06-30-2017 07:56 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-30-2017 07:56 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I wish I could agree but the facts seem to show that U of L is an exception, not the rule as to what to expect. E.g., I look at my USF, which is very comparable to Louisville because we both became AQ at the same time, 2005. While USF did a good job of investing our power money during the years we had it - our athletic facilities across the board are much improved - Louisville did even better, and in the most crucial area - fan support.

That's the big area where USF came up short: Despite our significant facilities upgrades, we just never were able to sizeably improve our fan base during those power years. Yes, we generated some excitement when our football team made a splash circa 2007, but it wasn't sustainable.

OTOH, Louisville was able to not only build up their facilities, but also with regards to football, significantly build up its fan base (UL had a massive basketball fan base all along, but lacked it in football. Not anymore).

Truth is, the 8 years in the AQ showed that, in terms of the crucial areas of football and basketball fan support, USF just wasn't, and isn't, quite ready for Power status. And no, it is no answer to that to point out that USF has more football support than several schools already in the P5. Since those schools are in fact in the P5, their support isn't up for discussion. Since we aren't, ours is.

Until we can get more members of the vast USF student/staff/alumni nation to commit to supporting athletics, as Louisville has, we won't be.

Right. Its the fan base.

And most of the AAC is in NFL cities, making it very hard to grow that fan base. Makes what TCU has done even more remarkable. Not only are they in an NFL city, they are a relatively small private school.
06-30-2017 08:01 AM
1st String

(06-30-2017 08:01 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Right. Its the fan base.

And most of the AAC is in NFL cities, making it very hard to grow that fan base. Makes what TCU has done even more remarkable. Not only are they in an NFL city, they are a relatively small private school.

Well if it is the fan base, then ECU has no problem. Which I agree with, if you do not have a fan base then do you really even have a program. The athletic program is for the students, alumni, and fans. If they are not showing up what's the point. However a school like ECU has 50,000+ stadium, with expansion happening at the end of this season. What more do we have to do be considered a power school in football.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2017 08:08 AM by Carolina_Low_Country.)
06-30-2017 08:06 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU

it's got a lot more to do with ULs fan support than the BCS or ACC.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
06-30-2017 08:13 AM
Advertisement

Hood-rich Offline

this is spot on.

06-30-2017 08:14 AM
Hood-rich Offline

(06-30-2017 08:06 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  

Right. Its the fan base.

Well if it is the fan base, then ECU has no problem. Which I agree with, if you do not have a fan base then do you really even have a program. The athletic program is for the students, alumni, and fans. If they are not showing up what's the point. However a school like ECU has 50,000+ stadium, with expansion happening at the end of this season. What more do we have to do be considered a power school in football.
we don't have a fan base that can generate money like UL and TCU. Until we do talking about our fan base is a moot point.

06-30-2017 08:16 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

Right. Its the fan base.

But there's a critical difference: TCU had a deep/rich college football history to draw upon. They were a member of the power club, in the form of the SWC, for more than 70 years, so they were a college football power long before the NFL came to Dallas. Yes, they fell on hard times in the 1980s and 1990s, but those roots and legacy were there to be awakened when the program regained power status.

In contrast, the bulk of the AAC schools do not have those deep and rich football roots to draw upon. In the case of TCU, it was a matter of re-building what once had been a strong fan base. For a USF, it is an effort to create one out of thin air.
06-30-2017 08:21 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Only Louisville, Michigan & UCLA have won a Heisman, Golden Spikes & Wooden awards.
06-30-2017 09:42 AM
1st String

(06-30-2017 08:16 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  
(06-30-2017 07:10 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  It's amazing what happens when you put the former CUSA schools on an equal playing field as the former BCS schools. Look what both Louisville and TCU have accomplished in the last 20 years. If only they would allow the schools like Houston, Cincinnati, ECU, SMU, UCF, and South Florida to do the same.

Right. Its the fan base.

we don't have a fan base that can generate money like UL and TCU. Until we do talking about our fan base is a moot point.

I would imagine our fan base is around the same size as TCUs. TCU is a small private school and their stadium size is very similar to ours. They also have had a lot of empty seats during less competitive home games.
06-30-2017 10:56 AM
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
(06-30-2017 10:56 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  
(06-30-2017 08:16 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  
(06-30-2017 07:56 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I wish I could agree but the facts seem to show that U of L is an exception, not the rule as to what to expect. E.g., I look at my USF, which is very comparable to Louisville because we both became AQ at the same time, 2005. While USF did a good job of investing our power money during the years we had it - our athletic facilities across the board are much improved - Louisville did even better, and in the most crucial area - fan support.

Right. Its the fan base.

I would imagine our fan base is around the same size as TCUs. TCU is a small private school and their stadium size is very similar to ours. They also have had a lot of empty seats during less competitive home games.

There well may have been some empty seats for a game here and there, but all of the season tickets are sold out each and every year since the new stadium has been built. In fact within the next few years, new club seats and suites will be added to the east side of the stadium. That is where the school really makes the money on games. That will give us club seats and suites on the west side, south endzone, and the east side.
06-30-2017 12:20 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(06-30-2017 08:21 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Right. Its the fan base.

But there's a critical difference: TCU had a deep/rich college football history to draw upon. They were a member of the power club, in the form of the SWC, for more than 70 years, so they were a college football power long before the NFL came to Dallas. Yes, they fell on hard times in the 1980s and 1990s, but those roots and legacy were there to be awakened when the program regained power status.

In contrast, the bulk of the AAC schools do not have those deep and rich football roots to draw upon. In the case of TCU, it was a matter of re-building what once had been a strong fan base. For a USF, it is an effort to create one out of thin air.

I agree that it's all about the fan base.

But ECU, Memphis, and Cincinnati are similar to Louisville in that they have fan bases about the size of the average P5 school. UConn is close, too.

I don't know where ECU's and Memphis's fanbases came from. But Cincinnati's fan base comes from our deep and rich basketball roots. Basketball was more popular than football until the BCS era, so that definitely counts.
06-30-2017 01:23 PM
krux Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
ECU has the fan base but has never had the AQ/Power Conference label. USF has had the AQ/Power labels but has lacked the fan base.

UofL and TCU have had both. So it seems like you really have to have both and not just one or the other to make the leap. That tells me that Cincy, Memphis, SMU and probably UCF and ECU would be able to make similar leaps if given the opportunity. I'd say UConn too but I think their geography would really hinder them in football.
06-30-2017 01:27 PM
templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
there are many factors on weather school made P-5
ECU FB was certainly BCS calipor
Even tough BB hurt them, I always felt being in BB crazy state would cure that
baseball helped
ECU was never gonna be brought in as the 5th school from NC
06-30-2017 04:43 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(06-30-2017 04:43 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  there are many factors on weather school made P-5
baseball helped

ECU could have (and should of) been brought into the Big East in the 90's and then again in 2005. Temple and a start up (USF) were brought in. To this day neither even has a football stadium. If a school doesn't even bother owning a football stadium like the rest of us, why even care if you are G5, P5, FCS or FBS program? I wish the NCAA would ban the use of NFL stadiums in college football. Bye bye Miami.
06-30-2017 06:44 PM
Advertisement

templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
i agree B-E should have added ECU when they guarenteed 5,000 pd tickets to road conf games,
wanted no TV money, wanted to sell it's own package
I tought B-E would take baseball and have conf tourn in Greenville
put ECU in A-10 & sch BB games to benifit both [back then A-10 & B-E worked together because of FB schools]
could gave similer deals to Louv, Memphis, UCF & USF back then
06-30-2017 07:07 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(06-30-2017 06:44 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(06-30-2017 04:43 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  there are many factors on weather school made P-5
baseball helped

ECU could have (and should of) been brought into the Big East in the 90's and then again in 2005. Temple and a start up (USF) were brought in. To this day neither even has a football stadium. If a school doesn't even bother owning a football stadium like the rest of us, why even care if you are G5, P5, FCS or FBS program? I wish the NCAA would ban the use of NFL stadiums in college football. Bye bye Miami.

Well, you'd have to boot out USC, arguably the 3rd most successful program ever, as they have never owned a football stadium. UCLA as well.

Pretty silly criterion. 07-coffee3

That said, while I thought the Big East was smart to add USF instead of ECU, once we were in, I favored adding ECU to the Big East all along, from 2005 onwards. Your football and geography made it a no-brainer in my book.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2017 07:49 PM by quo vadis.)
06-30-2017 07:48 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(06-30-2017 07:48 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(06-30-2017 06:44 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
baseball helped

Well, you'd have to boot out USC, arguably the 3rd most successful program ever, as they have never owned a football stadium. UCLA as well.

Pretty silly criterion. :coffee3:

That said, while I thought the Big East was smart to add USF instead of ECU, once we were in, I favored adding ECU to the Big East all along, from 2005 onwards. Your football and geography made it a no-brainer in my book.

Thanks for your support on ECU and USC has taken over the Coliseum. A while back they signed a 100 year agreement to pay for the upkeep etc. So no NFL team in there to share with, they keep the parking and concessions and pay 3 million a year to maintain it....a little different than USF, Temple and Miami paying rent to play down the road way off Campus to the local NFL team. At least USF plays in a stadium with an ECU logo. I shouldn't be complaining about that part.

PS: the 2 NFL teams (Rams & Chargers) coming back to LA after over 20 years will put the PAC back into the spot they were in the 90's: a conference that was a little better than the WAC. Bad for the PAC, or the land of the 49ers, Raiders, Rams, Chargers, Seahawks, Cardinals & Broncos as I like to call them. Or the land of the Warriors, Kings, Lakers, Clippers, Jazz, Nuggets, Trailblazers, Suns and soon to be Sonics again. The PAC can give the AAC and its pro sport friendly lineup a run for its money.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2017 08:55 PM by billybobby777.)
06-30-2017 08:11 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
(06-30-2017 08:21 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  But there's a critical difference: TCU had a deep/rich college football history to draw upon. They were a member of the power club, in the form of the SWC, for more than 70 years, so they were a college football power long before the NFL came to Dallas. Yes, they fell on hard times in the 1980s and 1990s, but those roots and legacy were there to be awakened when the program regained power status.

Good posts (including the longer one before this, that I did not quote).

So then ... what, in your opinion, allowed Louisville to stand out so much higher than what USF, Cincy, and the other comparable (in some form or another) schools of the current AAC have been able to accomplish? Both in terms of overall size & success of the athletic dept (in terms of money/budget, and in terms of facilities) and fan support.

Lack of professional sports in Kentucky? Lack of interest in U of Kentucky athletics? Of course, goes without saying that UK basketball is a blue-blood ... but then again Louisville has a pretty good basketball tradition (at least, I think ... not an expert on them).
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 04:14 PM by MplsBison.)
07-01-2017 04:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.