Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I was just reviewing the YOGWF
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

complained that we were missing Trooper Taylor. As much as I like Trooper, and will admit that he brought in some high profile recruits, the truth is, his recruits did not pan out. Of all his signees, none have graduated. Only one has stuck with the team, Preston Brown. So, as good as it looked on signing day, it failed to help the program.

I also noticed some complaining that Tulane has failed to sign local blue chippers. The truth is most do not qualify by NCAA standards, and even fewer by Tulane standards. It would be most difficult to get them into school, and even harder to keep them in school.

On a side note. I know Tulane basketball has not done very well recently, but I must admit I am so much more pleased with our basketball team than I would be if we were in Memphis' situation. Year, they play better ball, but is the tradeoff worth it? I don't think so.
01-24-2005 05:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

Depends on the importance you place on athletics. I personally respect schools that do not sacrifice their acedemics for athletics.
01-24-2005 05:38 PM
Advertisement

Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

I don't think society in general can allow a school to place more emphasis on athletics than academics. And the certainly can not allow illegal actions to be excused for the sake of a sports victory.
01-24-2005 05:58 PM
Home of the Wave Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Observer Wrote:complained that we were missing Trooper Taylor. As much as I like Trooper, and will admit that he brought in some high profile recruits, the truth is, his recruits did not pan out. Of all his signees, none have graduated. Only one has stuck with the team, Preston Brown. So, as good as it looked on signing day, it failed to help the program.

I also noticed some complaining that Tulane has failed to sign local blue chippers. The truth is most do not qualify by NCAA standards, and even fewer by Tulane standards. It would be most difficult to get them into school, and even harder to keep them in school.

On a side note. I know Tulane basketball has not done very well recently, but I must admit I am so much more pleased with our basketball team than I would be if we were in Memphis' situation. Year, they play better ball, but is the tradeoff worth it? I don't think so.
1. Trooper Taylor - that's an interesting stat. Really only one of his recruits has stuck with the team? I'm amazed.
One other point, I feel that the receivers played better this year than when Trooper was coach. Granted we had more upperclassmen, but there were almost no dropped balls the entire year.
2. Local recruits - I agree with your points, but would add that everyone seems to think that this year is particularly thin for Louisiana Div. 1A prospects.
3. Basketball - I don't think that it has to be a choice between losing and criminals. There are too many examples of schools being able to win without sacrificing their integrity - Duke, Stanford, Rice, and Vanderbilt just to name a few off the top of my head.
01-24-2005 08:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.