Exclamation 247Sports: Grad transfer gives UAB additional receiving threat
06-29-2017 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marathon Blazer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
RE: 247Sports: Grad transfer gives UAB additional receiving threat
I guess you could say he's the last UAB player to be recruited by Watson Brown.
06-29-2017 10:12 AM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
Quote:Former UAB head coach Watson Brown recruited McCoin to Tennessee Tech in 2013 to play quarterback. McCoin spent his first season running the scout team as a redshirt quarterback. The following year, he was one of two players that Brown tabbed to play a hybrid position that was a combination of wide receiver and quarterback. The position was called a ‘QW’ in Tennessee Tech’s system.

“It would strictly be (called) in the huddle,” McCoin said. “On first down, I might be at receiver and then we’d come to the huddle and I’d be a QB. It was kind of wild.”

I like Watson's creativity, but I'm glad we don't have this crap on the south side anymore. Almost seems desperate to go so far out the box. The regular offense must suck.

I still worry if we have any real speed at the WR position.
06-29-2017 10:50 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(06-29-2017 10:50 AM)cb4029 Wrote:  
Quote:Former UAB head coach Watson Brown recruited McCoin to Tennessee Tech in 2013 to play quarterback. McCoin spent his first season running the scout team as a redshirt quarterback. The following year, he was one of two players that Brown tabbed to play a hybrid position that was a combination of wide receiver and quarterback. The position was called a ‘QW’ in Tennessee Tech’s system.

“It would strictly be (called) in the huddle,” McCoin said. “On first down, I might be at receiver and then we’d come to the huddle and I’d be a QB. It was kind of wild.”

I like Watson's creativity, but I'm glad we don't have this crap on the south side anymore. Almost seems desperate to go so far out the box. The regular offense must suck.

Speed is a very desirable attribute at WR, but many of the most successful WRs did not have blazing speed but were still very effective with the speed they had. Foot quickness and the ability to "sell" a feint and, above all, to reliably catch the ball are much more important. UAB's record would be much better if some very important passes had been caught rather than dropped.
06-29-2017 11:26 AM
Advertisement

cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
(06-29-2017 11:26 AM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(06-29-2017 10:50 AM)cb4029 Wrote:  

Speed is a very desirable attribute at WR, but many of the most successful WRs did not have blazing speed but were still very effective with the speed they had. Foot quickness and the ability to "sell" a feint and, above all, to reliably catch the ball are much more important. UAB's record would be much better if some very important passes had been caught rather than dropped.

Excellent points. Hopefully this guy can provide a little more versatility to the position. Glad we could provide him a new home.
06-29-2017 11:45 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
Will wear number 20 per the official cusa site uab football roster, we seem to have a few redshirt seniors too
06-29-2017 03:44 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

So the CUSA website has the 2017 roster up and the UABSports.com does not...
http://conferenceusa.com/documents/2017/..._Guide.pdf
06-29-2017 03:54 PM
Advertisement

Big Dee Offline
Banned

(06-29-2017 03:54 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  So the CUSA website has the 2017 roster up and the UABSports.com does not...
http://conferenceusa.com/documents/2017/..._Guide.pdf

I guess we can compare both roster to see who's right and who's missing from one or the other.
06-29-2017 04:10 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

I think they are changing something with the website, that's why it isn't out yet.
06-29-2017 06:18 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I figure he helps fill in the 2017 class, but does he replace anybody like Cam Taylor the mid year signee who is one of two with grade issues.
06-29-2017 08:04 PM
Advertisement

Marathon Blazer Offline
Heisman

(06-29-2017 08:04 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  I figure he helps fill in the 2017 class, but does he replace anybody like Cam Taylor the mid year signee who is one of two with grade issues.

Probably replacing Brewer Hicklen.
06-29-2017 08:28 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

So Mccoin isnt a 2017 signee? I think Powell was considered 2016 same situation.
06-29-2017 09:21 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Description makes me think he more like Lisa in role for us but at least he has experience. I assume 1 yr is all we'll have him for?
06-29-2017 09:41 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Yes. He is bigger than CL with a greater vertical.
06-30-2017 09:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.