Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Assistant B-ball Coach Possibility?
Bookmark and Share
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Assistant B-ball Coach Possibility?
While sitting around wondering who Coach K is going to hire as an Assistant Basketball Coach to replace DeAndre Haynes, I was thinking about the possibility of him hiring former star Rocket Guard, Justin Ingram who is currently an assistant coach at Division III Olivet (MI) College. Any thoughts on him or anyone else you think would make a good addition to the B-ball Program?
06-22-2017 01:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Online
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Assistant B-ball Coach Possibility?
(06-22-2017 01:14 PM)Basketball Jones Wrote:  While sitting around wondering who Coach K is going to hire as an Assistant Basketball Coach to replace DeAndre Haynes, I was thinking about the possibility of him hiring former star Rocket Guard, Justin Ingram who is currently an assistant coach at Division III Olivet (MI) College. Any thoughts on him or anyone else you think would make a good addition to the B-ball Program?

No thoughts, but it sure is taking a long time. A relatively quick hire could have brought in a guy with some new contacts for a big man signee.
06-22-2017 04:38 PM
RocketJeff Offline
Heisman

I would think Justin would be good as a coach. I wonder why it's taking so long to rise through the ranks.
06-22-2017 06:30 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Good coach, but does he have midwest recruiting connections?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
06-23-2017 10:54 AM
Advertisement

Rocket Pirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: Seton Hall
(06-23-2017 10:54 AM)emanoh Wrote:  Good coach, but does he have midwest recruiting connections?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

He's from Lansing. Who did he play AAU/summer ball for? There are some very good summer teams in Lansing and Flint that produce prospects. If he has connections to any of them, I'm all for it. It's the third chair at a MAC school; low-risk for UT to bring on somebody like Justin if he wants to make the jump into D1 coaching.
06-23-2017 11:53 AM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(06-22-2017 06:30 PM)RocketJeff Wrote:  I would think Justin would be good as a coach. I wonder why it's taking so long to rise through the ranks.

I don't if this is the case with Justin, but....

sometimes on the lower levels the assistant coaches are only part time and have full time jobs outside the college locally.
06-23-2017 11:58 AM
Rocket Pirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: Seton Hall
(06-23-2017 11:58 AM)Terry Wrote:  
(06-22-2017 06:30 PM)RocketJeff Wrote:  I would think Justin would be good as a coach. I wonder why it's taking so long to rise through the ranks.

I don't if this is the case with Justin, but....

sometimes on the lower levels the assistant coaches are only part time and have full time jobs outside the college locally.

This is definitely the case in D3. Unless he has another job in the athletic department, he's almost certainly a part-time employee.

Also, he just finished his first year of coaching. I believe he's been Europe ever since he graduated, playing in various leagues over there.
06-23-2017 12:23 PM
Advertisement

RocketJeff Offline
Heisman

(06-23-2017 12:23 PM)Rocket Pirate Wrote:  Also, he just finished his first year of coaching. I believe he's been Europe ever since he graduated, playing in various leagues over there.

Okay, that explains it. I always thought he was a standup guy and I think he'd be able to bring out the best in the players. I don't know him personally, that's just the impression I have.
06-23-2017 02:28 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-23-2017 02:28 PM)RocketJeff Wrote:  
(06-23-2017 12:23 PM)Rocket Pirate Wrote:  Also, he just finished his first year of coaching. I believe he's been Europe ever since he graduated, playing in various leagues over there.

Okay, that explains it. I always thought he was a standup guy and I think he'd be able to bring out the best in the players. I don't know him personally, that's just the impression I have.

His dad was A coach
06-23-2017 08:51 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
Would seem a bit like cherry picking after one season and this late into the next, a bit of a disservice to Olivett but if he shows promise, I think talks to keep that future option open is certainly a good idea.
06-24-2017 02:34 AM
Advertisement

Sleepy Offline
1st String

(06-23-2017 08:51 PM)pono Wrote:  

His dad was A coach

Mike Ingram from Lansing Community College was inducted into the National JC Hall of Fame. I think he was a good friend of Stan Joplin.
http://lccstars.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/...0110frfeec
06-24-2017 10:47 AM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

Ingram played a number of years in France, and then hopped around various different countries including Hungary, Estonia, Greece and Switzerland. Wonder if he built up any recruiting ties over there.
06-24-2017 11:21 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

Bring in a guy that can coach and recruit bigs. Been a weakness for a LONG time
06-24-2017 12:03 PM
Advertisement

Sleepy Offline
1st String

Justin is listed as an Associate Head Coach at Olivet. "Justin Ingram is in his second season at Olivet College as the associate head coach for the men's basketball program."

http://olivetcomets.com/sports/mbkb/coac...n?view=bio
06-24-2017 04:03 PM
RocketJeff Offline
Heisman

(06-23-2017 08:51 PM)pono Wrote:  

His dad was A coach
I thought so. That's another thing that might indicate he has coaching potential.
06-24-2017 06:28 PM
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

(06-24-2017 12:03 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Bring in a guy that can coach and recruit bigs. Been a weakness for a LONG time
Recruiting Big's could be better Coaching them Not all of them have gotten way better during Coach k's tenure here.
06-25-2017 05:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.