Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dying Cable Leading to 32 Team Super League?
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Thats the premise of a Saturdays Down South article predicting a breakaway by the 32 most attractive FBS schools organized into 4 divisions.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-fo...-like-nfl/
06-22-2017 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Dying Cable Leading to 32 Team Super League?
(06-22-2017 11:37 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Thats the premise of a Saturdays Down South article predicting a breakaway by the 32 most attractive FBS schools organized into 4 divisions.

That's fine as long as they only play each other in all sports.
06-22-2017 11:44 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(06-22-2017 11:37 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Thats the premise of a Saturdays Down South article predicting a breakaway by the 32 most attractive FBS schools organized into 4 divisions.

Interesting idea.

Couple of things I thought would make for interesting debate.

1) No WVU but Iowa? I think you could easily argue that WVU football is as good or better than Iowa.

2) No Stanford but Minnesota? That isn't even a debate, Stanford has arguably been one of the best teams over the last 20 years, Minnesota not so much.

3) No VATech, or Utah, but Missouri?

Like I said, interesting idea but I think the players in the game need to be looked at with a little more scrutiny.
06-22-2017 11:55 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
I would have a hard time imagining large states like Illinois and Arizona being left out entirely in this scenerio. The final number does not necessarily need to be all 65 P5 schools, but the number would be closer to 65 than 32. 60 is a good number. Really only NW, Vandy, Wake, Baylor and Wash St should be excluded.
06-22-2017 12:01 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

07-coffee3

Load of crap. PART I
Radio was going to kill newspapers, movies would kill novels, TV was going to kill movies AND radio AND newspapers.

Mediums reinvent themselves to adjust to the marketplace. Right now it is not super profitable for cable to take on online bundlers in price but the day will come and when it arrives sit back and watch.

No matter what happens any cord cutter doing anything other than using an antenna is paying for internet access plus the programming. The guys who own the wire into the house (or the radio spectrum license) are going to have the advantage in a bare fisted battle on price.

Today the cable companies lack a bit of flexibility because they have long term contracts but those deals will eventually expire and new ones will be negotiated and life is going to be brutal for the people selling programming only because people like Comcast are going to slam their fist on the table and demand equal or better pricing on programming (and they already own a lot of it) because they have the most eyeballs.

Other than saying buzzwords no one can craft a compelling argument why Comcast cannot offer a package priced at or below any online bundler like Sling or Hulu. Plus they can send it down the pipe with less compression and less lag (which is noticeable in sports).

Load of crap part II

Since at least the mid 50's the doomsayers have said over and over that the breakaway of the biggest schools is IMMINENT. It's the weird wet dream of columnists.

There is nothing to gain and a helluva lot to lose. It's to Nebraska's advantage to play the most possible home games and for those games to branded as major college games. Breakaway destroys that model.

Only 20 of the 65 P5 schools finished with fewer than 6 wins last year. But in G5 29 of 64 finished with less than 6 wins.

32 team breakaway? That's 33 former P5 plaintiffs and 64 now 65 G5 plaintiffs who are going to apply feet to fire on anti-trust. It's one thing to form a 32 team mega-conference, it's an entirely different matter to exclude 98 schools from a competition level.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 12:04 PM by arkstfan.)
06-22-2017 12:03 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(06-22-2017 11:55 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  

Interesting idea.

1) No WVU but Iowa? I think you could easily argue that WVU football is as good or better than Iowa.

2) No Stanford but Minnesota? That isn't even a debate, Stanford has arguably been one of the best teams over the last 20 years, Minnesota not so much.

Like I said, interesting idea but I think the players in the game need to be looked at with a little more scrutiny.

Not sure what the author's critera was for the teams selected but I believe part of it was building an audience, which is going to favor schools from larger states or teams with larger attendance. Of course, that does not entirely explain why Minnesota was picked, but not Illinois.

But the teams you chose to compare seem kind of random. Whether Iowa is better choice than WV is actually debatable but misses the point. I am guessing Iowa probably got picked because its football is better than Iowa St.
06-22-2017 12:14 PM
Advertisement

curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
SEC Homer piece.

No way Ole Miss or Miss State should be included
06-22-2017 12:16 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Clickbait. Encourage folks not to click on it. Every new click just encourages people to write more clickbait. Self-perpetuating ...
06-22-2017 12:17 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

If they want to be mini-NFL/NBA/MLB/WNBA/PGA/ProTrackAndField thats fine. Just no more playing the rest of us in anything. Everyone else will perhaps just go back to being college sports maybe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
06-22-2017 12:23 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
You might as well add Kentucky to this list also. I'm sure who ever put this together was using the entire SEC as a base format, but if this is solely based on football no way UKay is invited.
06-22-2017 12:26 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I haven't gone through the list, but all the B10 and SEC schools would be safe in a hypothetical world* of a "Super Conference". Those schools have too much political power, both in college athletics and at the state level. If one is putting together a list you start with those 24 and then add from there from the ACC, Big 12 and PAC.

* I say hypothetical because I do not believe we will ever see a 32 or even a 64 team Super Conference that some of you dream of.
06-22-2017 12:30 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(06-22-2017 12:01 PM)goofus Wrote:  I would have a hard time imagining large states like Illinois and Arizona being left out entirely in this scenerio. The final number does not necessarily need to be all 65 P5 schools, but the number would be closer to 65 than 32. 60 is a good number. Really only NW, Vandy, Wake, Baylor and Wash St should be excluded.

Why those?
06-22-2017 12:42 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I agree, if they go off by themselves it should include all sports and can only play with themselves, let them just Strand themselves on a deserted island and see how long it takes for them to wither away while the rest of college sports grows stronger
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 12:46 PM by JHS55.)
06-22-2017 12:43 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
IF this were to happen, it would be the B1G and SEC poaching the top tiers of the PAC, ACC, and B12.

- USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, Oregon and may be Colorado, Arizona, and Cal
- Texas, Oklahoma...may be Kansas
- Florida St., Clemson, North Carolina, Miami, Notre Dame...and may be Duke

36-40 teams

But it will never happen. There aren't enough wins and too many losses to be had for the top teams, even with the 65 autonomy schools by themselves. The top-25 rankings is more than half of the league - meaning 6-6 and 5-7 win-loss records would be *worthy* of the top-25 rankings....no thanks.

No one would get excited if Georgia or Florida St. or USC is 6-6 against an incredibly difficult schedule. Pad the schedule with some lower conference and G5 matchups and those same teams go 9-3 or 10-2. The system needs the lower schools to survive.
06-22-2017 12:57 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(06-22-2017 12:03 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

07-coffee3

Load of crap. PART I
Radio was going to kill newspapers, movies would kill novels, TV was going to kill movies AND radio AND newspapers.

Mediums reinvent themselves to adjust to the marketplace. Right now it is not super profitable for cable to take on online bundlers in price but the day will come and when it arrives sit back and watch.

No matter what happens any cord cutter doing anything other than using an antenna is paying for internet access plus the programming. The guys who own the wire into the house (or the radio spectrum license) are going to have the advantage in a bare fisted battle on price.

Today the cable companies lack a bit of flexibility because they have long term contracts but those deals will eventually expire and new ones will be negotiated and life is going to be brutal for the people selling programming only because people like Comcast are going to slam their fist on the table and demand equal or better pricing on programming (and they already own a lot of it) because they have the most eyeballs.

Other than saying buzzwords no one can craft a compelling argument why Comcast cannot offer a package priced at or below any online bundler like Sling or Hulu. Plus they can send it down the pipe with less compression and less lag (which is noticeable in sports).

Load of crap part II

Since at least the mid 50's the doomsayers have said over and over that the breakaway of the biggest schools is IMMINENT. It's the weird wet dream of columnists.

There is nothing to gain and a helluva lot to lose. It's to Nebraska's advantage to play the most possible home games and for those games to branded as major college games. Breakaway destroys that model.

Only 20 of the 65 P5 schools finished with fewer than 6 wins last year. But in G5 29 of 64 finished with less than 6 wins.

32 team breakaway? That's 33 former P5 plaintiffs and 64 now 65 G5 plaintiffs who are going to apply feet to fire on anti-trust. It's one thing to form a 32 team mega-conference, it's an entirely different matter to exclude 98 schools from a competition level.

To be clear, I dont buy the article's premise. I just thought it was an interesting piece.

Totally agree with "load of crap #1". Cable hasn't really begun to fight back. A business this large is not just going to curl up in a ball and allow itself to die---especially a business that owns the last mile of wire into the home.

Also agree with "load of crap #2" but you actually understate one of the reasons why. The difference in the percentage of teams with 6 wins between the P5 and G5 is only about 15% with the numbers you used. But the reality is---if you looked at the top 32 teams in the P5 that would be part of any super conference break away---my guess is the percentage of teams with 6 or more wins would be darn near 100%. In a super conference, its going to be closer to 50% with 6 wins and 50% below 6 wins. A LOT of teams that annually participate in a bowls wont be annual participants in a super conference. In fact, its almost a certainly that some teams that are currently perennial winners will become perennial losers.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 01:05 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-22-2017 01:02 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-22-2017 01:02 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

07-coffee3

Load of crap. PART I

Load of crap part II

To be clear, I dont buy the article's premise. I just thought it was an interesting piece.

Totally agree with "load of crap #1". Cable hasn't really begun to fight back. A business this large is not just going to curl up in a ball and allow itself to die---especially a business that owns the last mile of wire into the home.

Also agree with "load of crap #2" but you actually understate one of the reasons why. The difference in the percentage of teams with 6 wins between the P5 and G5 is only about 15% with the numbers you used. But the reality is---if you looked at the top 32 teams in the P5 that would be part of any super conference break away---my guess is the percentage of teams with 6 or more wins would be darn near 100%. In a super conference, its going to be closer to 50% with 6 wins and 50% below 6 wins. A LOT of teams that annually participate in a bowls wont be annual participants in a super conference. In fact, its almost a certainly that some teams that are currently perennial winners will become perennial losers.

You seem to be assuming that the bowls go with them. How many bowls does a 32-team league with a playoff need? Lol.
06-22-2017 01:24 PM
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND

07-coffee3

Load of crap. PART I

Load of crap part II

(06-22-2017 12:14 PM)goofus Wrote:  
(06-22-2017 11:55 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  

Interesting idea.

Not sure what the author's critera was for the teams selected but I believe part of it was building an audience, which is going to favor schools from larger states or teams with larger attendance. Of course, that does not entirely explain why Minnesota was picked, but not Illinois.

But the teams you chose to compare seem kind of random. Whether Iowa is better choice than WV is actually debatable but misses the point. I am guessing Iowa probably got picked because its football is better than Iowa St.

I wasn't sticking to any particular region or conference, just looking at a number of schools who's football teams have had a fairly long run at being successful.

Like I mentioned, I don't see how you could choose a Minnesota program while leaving out Stanford.

Seems the author was a bit confused. His list doesn't necessarily reflect market size or program success. It does seem like he took a few "names" and thru them together.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 01:34 PM by BadgerMJ.)
06-22-2017 01:33 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I don't know about you guys, but I get all my sports information from Saturday Down South. They are the gold standard when it comes to college sports reporting. I mean, why wouldn't I take everything they write as gospel?

Consider the source here.
06-22-2017 01:50 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(06-22-2017 01:24 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

07-coffee3

Load of crap. PART I

Load of crap part II

You seem to be assuming that the bowls go with them. How many bowls does a 32-team league with a playoff need? Lol.

Lets be honest---any bowl that can go with them will. Frankly, Ive said for a long time the bowls are leeches. There really is no need for their bloated overpaid management structures. All those expenses are not needed to plan one game a year. Any 32-team Super League would be better off taking the few bowls with names worth paying for (say, the Rose, Sugar, Cotton, and Fiesta) and creating their own series of bowls, owned by the Super League, to handle the rest of their needs.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 01:51 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-22-2017 01:50 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-22-2017 01:50 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-22-2017 01:24 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

07-coffee3

Load of crap. PART I

Load of crap part II

Lets be honest---any bowl that can go with them will. Frankly, Ive said for a long time the bowls are leeches. There really is no need for their bloated overpaid management structures. All those expenses are not needed to plan one game a year. Any 32-team Super League would be better off taking the few bowls with names worth paying for (say, the Rose, Sugar, Cotton, and Fiesta) and creating their own series of bowls, owned by the Super League, to handle the rest of their needs.
The most you would need with a 4-team playoff would be around 6 bowls right? Not every loser would get a bowl game
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 01:59 PM by ark30inf.)
06-22-2017 01:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.