Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Any details on the new Las Vegas stadium?
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Exclamation Any details on the new Las Vegas stadium?
When is the stadium going up in Vegas? 2019? 2020? How big? Is UNLV going to demolish their stadium to play in it?
06-19-2017 02:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Any details on the new Las Vegas stadium?
(06-19-2017 02:02 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  When is the stadium going up in Vegas? 2019? 2020? How big? Is UNLV going to demolish their stadium to play in it?

Last I saw, UNLV hadn't made up their mind about the fate Sam Boyd Stadium but part of the deal as I understood it was UNLV was going to be paid to shut it down so it would not compete with the new stadium for events.

One idea was to turn the area into the Raiders training facility or just sell the property for whatever they could get for it.
06-19-2017 02:59 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Boyd will stand until they tear it down. It is plan B or C should the Raider stadium not be completed in time for the 2019 season. So it will be standing until at least then. UNLV is slated to play in Raider Stadium in 2020. Anyway no shovel in the ground yet.

They closed escrow on the above site by May 1st, and are looking to buy more land for parking. (Davis wants that action in his cash flow; don't blame him, smart move)

http://www.ktnv.com/sports/raiders/raide...adium-site

I still think the Raiders will probably not be in Las Vegas before 2020. Boyd is not NFL ready and seats only 35,000. The Oakland Authority is not willing to give the Raiders a 3rd year, but Davis wants to stay in the Bay Area until the new stadium is done. When the come to Vegas they want to do it right from day one. So that likely means no Boyd.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf.../99756594/

Whether he wants to or not, I think the 49ers Levi Stadium is the most likely place the Raiders play in 2019. It's easy conversion from 49ers to Raiders, as the stadium was set up to quickly switch colors and themes, anticipating two teams. Also Davis was strongly supported by York in his move. So there wont be a personality clash. I also think the fact that the Raiders practice and other facilities are still in the area makes a pre-2020 move problematic
06-19-2017 03:06 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
The scheduled completion date for the new Raiders stadium in Vegas is 2020.

But thats an aggressive time-line, just like Los Angeles just found out when the opening date for the new Rams/ Chargers stadium was pushed out from 2019 to 2020. And LA had a 1 year head start on Vegas.

So for the new Vegas stadium, I would estimate 2020 at best, and 2021 if construction has any big delays.
06-19-2017 03:21 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
2020 sounds like a long way away but its only 2.5 years out.
06-19-2017 03:25 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
There was a report/claim floating around that the NFL would permit the Raiders to use Sam Boyd only if there were some big upgrades made to security at the stadium. The league was/is supposedly willing to eat the reduced gate receipts but only if the security were up to the requirements of the CBA and the NFL's liability carrier.
06-19-2017 03:30 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

Levi's seats 65,000 and its only about 25 miles from OCo.

30,000 seats at an average of $200 per ticket x10 games is $60M. Then throw in stadium mods for Boyd. Then there is getting the Raiders practice facilities and offices set up a year earlier. From every direction it makes a lot more sense to play in Santa Clara.

The Raider Stadium is in the desert. Unless Las Vegas gets a freak rain storms these next two winters, it should easily be build on schedule for the 2020 season.
06-19-2017 03:57 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Does Nevada have the same seismic requirements that California does when it comes to construction?
06-19-2017 07:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goofus Offline
All American

(06-19-2017 03:25 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  2020 sounds like a long way away but its only 2.5 years out.

True, but the Raiders, as well as UNLV, still need to play someplace else for 3 full seasons. 2017, 2018, and 2019.

UNLV will just play at Sam Boyd for those 3 seasons. No big deal for UNLV, I guess.
06-19-2017 08:04 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Is Sam Boyd Stadium on UNLV's campus? If it is, can a deal be worked out with the Raiders that Boyd would just be for UNLV games & events?
06-19-2017 09:58 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(06-19-2017 09:58 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Is Sam Boyd Stadium on UNLV's campus? If it is, can a deal be worked out with the Raiders that Boyd would just be for UNLV games & events?

Nope. About 5 miles from campus.
06-19-2017 10:04 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline

Any chance UNLV could annex Sam Boyd Stadium as part of the UNLV campus? If I were a UNLV booster, that would be what I would try to do.
06-19-2017 10:31 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(06-19-2017 07:13 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Does Nevada have the same seismic requirements that California does when it comes to construction?

Does Nevada have an earthquake standard in their building codes? Yes. They use International Building Code.

Is it same as California? Don't know if California goes beyond the IBC or if it's case by case

UNLV built a new student recreation center in 2007, but in 2010, a design error was found, it didn't meet the updated IBC. The contractor used an older code when construction began.
06-19-2017 10:50 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

Nevada has similar building rules for the same reasons as California has them
http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/building/en...ation.aspx

This is an issue people on the Pacific Coast and Nevada take very seriously.
http://www.seismo.unr.edu/Earthquake
06-20-2017 02:02 AM
goofus Offline
All American

(06-19-2017 09:58 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Is Sam Boyd Stadium on UNLV's campus? If it is, can a deal be worked out with the Raiders that Boyd would just be for UNLV games & events?

Las Vegas is in the desert. why would UNLV want to keep playing at Sam Boyd when they could move to a state of the art 65k indoor stadium closer to campus?

Nobody is worried about Sam Boyd stealing events or competing with the new stadium. Sam Boyd is an outdoor dump. Nobody goes to UNLV football games right now. UNLV wants to play in the new stadium. the coaches are already using it as a recruiting tool.
06-20-2017 05:44 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(06-19-2017 10:31 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Any chance UNLV could annex Sam Boyd Stadium as part of the UNLV campus? If I were a UNLV booster, that would be what I would try to do.

I suppose they could but doubt they will.
Sam Boyd is owned by UNLV
Sam Boyd is on land owned by UNLV 5 miles away
UNLV owns land on the strip and on campus, and could build a new OCS...if they weren't planning on playing with the raiders.
06-20-2017 07:38 AM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(06-19-2017 03:57 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Levi's seats 65,000 and its only about 25 miles from OCo.

30,000 seats at an average of $200 per ticket x10 games is $60M. Then throw in stadium mods for Boyd. Then there is getting the Raiders practice facilities and offices set up a year earlier. From every direction it makes a lot more sense to play in Santa Clara.

The Raider Stadium is in the desert. Unless Las Vegas gets a freak rain storms these next two winters, it should easily be build on schedule for the 2020 season.

It should be noted that the Raiders new practice facility, built when they hired Del Rio, is portable. Should help somewhat with the move.
06-20-2017 10:35 AM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

The Raiders are a hand to mouth organization when it comes to cash flow. Mark Davis owns the Raiders and not much else. He needs to maximize the revenue, and not have a super lean year, which one in Sam Boyd would be. But this tight money situation also means they move once and only once. There wont be a 2019 stopover year in San Antonio for example (Can you see Houston or Dallas letting that happen? This is not a Katrina emergency).

Davis will spend some significant effort trying to get Oakland to reverse their decision on leasing to them in 2019. I'm sure he'll even offer to pay a premium to have that extra year. This is plan A and maybe plan B also.

So the choices if plans A and B fall through, will they go to Vegas early and play in the Desert heat outdoors in a small college stadium with zero amenities, no luxury boxes, et al? Or swallow a little pride and play in the 49ers stadium where all that revenue can continue to flow?

I think Davis will poll Raider Nation and see which way they lean (meaning would they buy tickets to go to Boyd, or would they buy them for Levi's). To be honest I don't think Boyd is viable. Work on upgrades would be for one year only, and would likely cost more than the revenue they'd generate. Financially it's obvious which plan C is better.

But all that said, we are talking about the mercurial whims of one man. So who freaking knows. (Well I do know he will continue to try and get OCo for one more year at least)
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2017 12:41 AM by Stugray2.)
06-20-2017 11:05 AM
DawgNBama Offline

I read some of what the Raiders want from UNLV as a tenant, and quite frankly, I would not agree to those demands, new facilities be durned. The Raiders want nothing to do with Sam Boyd because they say it's too small of a stadium & too far away to be a practice facility. Furthermore, they want to make sure that no college game destroys, lessens, or does anything to affect their logos, markings on the field. I just don't like the idea of a college team playing all of its games in a pro stadium anyway, because it's less intimate for college crowds anyway, but this is ridiculous!!!
The best pro-college sharing relationship I can think of would be the one that the Pittsburgh Steelers have with the University of Pittsburgh. Plus, it's not too far away from the students either.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2017 12:17 PM by DawgNBama.)
06-24-2017 12:16 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(06-24-2017 12:16 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  I read some of what the Raiders want from UNLV as a tenant, and quite frankly, I would not agree to those demands, new facilities be durned. The Raiders want nothing to do with Sam Boyd because they say it's too small of a stadium & too far away to be a practice facility. Furthermore, they want to make sure that no college game destroys, lessens, or does anything to affect their logos, markings on the field. I just don't like the idea of a college team playing all of its games in a pro stadium anyway, because it's less intimate for college crowds anyway, but this is ridiculous!!!
The best pro-college sharing relationship I can think of would be the one that the Pittsburgh Steelers have with the University of Pittsburgh. Plus, it's not too far away from the students either.
It is not what the Raiders want, but it us what the state of Nevada was willing to give Mark Davis and the Raiders to move. Legislators crafted the terms which UNLV and new AD Desiree Reed-Francois now must deal with. Luckily for her, the university gave her full booking power for both Sam Boyd and the Thomas & Mack.
https://thenevadaindependent.com/article...-on-course

Pitt and Steelers don't have the best relationship at both Heinz Field and the share football complex which is across the Monongahela River from the Pitt campus.
06-24-2017 02:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.