SEC Swallows the XII
Bookmark and Share
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
SEC Swallows the XII
I ran across this map picture that some of you may have seen before:

http://mizzou2sec.com/gfx/new_big12_sec.jpg

What if the SEC swallowed the entire XII? They could sign a short-term GoR and decide later if they wanted to renew with everyone or without X schools.

24 schools...

4 divisions of 6.

Southwest: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Arkansas
Big 6: Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Iowa St
Southeast: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida
Central: LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, West Virginia

3 divisions of 8.

West: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St
North: Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Iowa St, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
South: LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina

No divisions. 3 permanent rivals with 5 other conference opponents. Play everyone every 4 years.
06-12-2017 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: SEC Swallows the XII
(06-12-2017 10:34 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I ran across this map picture that some of you may have seen before:

What if the SEC swallowed the entire XII? They could sign a short-term GoR and decide later if they wanted to renew with everyone or without X schools.

24 schools...

4 divisions of 6.

3 divisions of 8.

West: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St
North: Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Iowa St, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
South: LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina

No divisions. 3 permanent rivals with 5 other conference opponents. Play everyone every 4 years.

That's a great visual image. It also is very psychologically revealing. Since there are about 5 or 6 schools currently in the Big 12 that couldn't possibly pay their way into the SEC the visual image is appropriate. It looks like the Big 12 has mounted the SEC and is dry humping us. No thanks! Financially the merger would be a dry hump!
06-12-2017 12:13 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(06-12-2017 12:13 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-12-2017 10:34 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I ran across this map picture that some of you may have seen before:

24 schools...

4 divisions of 6.

3 divisions of 8.

That's a great visual image. It also is very psychologically revealing. Since there are about 5 or 6 schools currently in the Big 12 that couldn't possibly pay their way into the SEC the visual image is appropriate. It looks like the Big 12 has mounted the SEC and is dry humping us. No thanks! Financially the merger would be a dry hump!

LOL - I completely agree and that is a funny way to put it.

My only thought behind it was a way to dissolve the XII by taking all, signing a short-term GoR, and at the end of that GoR, dismissing the schools you don't want to keep. This would allow schools like Texas and Oklahoma to get a taste of the SEC and maybe stick with it. I would see them going from this 24-school monstrosity to maybe 18 or 20.
06-12-2017 12:47 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-12-2017 12:47 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  

24 schools...

4 divisions of 6.

3 divisions of 8.

My only thought behind it was a way to dissolve the XII by taking all, signing a short-term GoR, and at the end of that GoR, dismissing the schools you don't want to keep. This would allow schools like Texas and Oklahoma to get a taste of the SEC and maybe stick with it. I would see them going from this 24-school monstrosity to maybe 18 or 20.

The problem is the SEC bylaws aren't designed to handle it that way. If it was a merger they would be full members. We've never asked a full member to leave. We would have to be a single entity to sing even a short term GOR. So we'll wait for theirs to near expiration and then we'll move.
06-12-2017 12:56 PM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

(06-12-2017 12:56 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

24 schools...

4 divisions of 6.

3 divisions of 8.

The problem is the SEC bylaws aren't designed to handle it that way. If it was a merger they would be full members. We've never asked a full member to leave. We would have to be a single entity to sing even a short term GOR. So we'll wait for theirs to near expiration and then we'll move.

I get that, for sure. It was just a thought to dismantle the XII. With not having a GoR at the moment, the SEC would likely be in the best position to do something like this. It would be kind of a jerk move to do it, but in the end its business and not personal.
06-12-2017 02:18 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-12-2017 02:18 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  

24 schools...

4 divisions of 6.

3 divisions of 8.

I get that, for sure. It was just a thought to dismantle the XII. With not having a GoR at the moment, the SEC would likely be in the best position to do something like this. It would be kind of a jerk move to do it, but in the end its business and not personal.

Now if the ACC and SEC split 4 apiece I could see something of a jerk like nature being worked out, but ESPN would be the jerks!04-cheers
06-12-2017 03:41 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
SEC Swallows the XII
How would you propose splitting 4 apiece? Texas, TT, TCU & WV to the ACC? Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas & Iowa State to the SEC?
06-12-2017 04:22 PM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

(06-12-2017 03:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-12-2017 02:18 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(06-12-2017 12:13 PM)JRsec Wrote:  That's a great visual image. It also is very psychologically revealing. Since there are about 5 or 6 schools currently in the Big 12 that couldn't possibly pay their way into the SEC the visual image is appropriate. It looks like the Big 12 has mounted the SEC and is dry humping us. No thanks! Financially the merger would be a dry hump!

Now if the ACC and SEC split 4 apiece I could see something of a jerk like nature being worked out, but ESPN would be the jerks!04-cheers

I'm okay with blaming ESPN!
06-12-2017 04:43 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(06-12-2017 04:22 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  How would you propose splitting 4 apiece? Texas, TT, TCU & WV to the ACC? Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas & Iowa State to the SEC?

I think that's exactly how it would go - if that were to happen. Kansas St and Baylor would have their picks of the American or Mountain West.
06-12-2017 04:44 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-12-2017 04:22 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  How would you propose splitting 4 apiece? Texas, TT, TCU & WV to the ACC? Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas & Iowa State to the SEC?

First of all I believe eventually the PAC would pick up Texas Tech and T.C.U. to have a slice of Texas.

So Texas and Baylor to the ACC with Notre Dame and Cincinnati joining in full a well.

That's 4.

So the SEC takes Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, and West Virginia.

Why Baylor? Because if you form a six team ACC South with:
Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, and Texas.

Miami and Georgia Tech are in transportation hubs and it's a short flight.
Florida State is reachable by I10 for both Baylor and Texas fans. Clemson would be the toughest trip.

B.C., Cincinnati, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh & Syracuse for the North.

Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, & Wake Forest for the Central.

SEC West: Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M
SEC Central: Alabama, Auburn, L.S.U., Mississippi, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt
SEC East: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia

I like Iowa State but get out a map and see just how much of an outlier they would be.
06-12-2017 05:14 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas

If you wanted to break up the B12 overnight, finding 8 homes works

SEC : OU, OSU, KU, WVU
ACC: Texas(Partial), Tech, Baylor, TCU,

More likely, SEC adds OU and waits for another B12 school. Most valuable school taken next unless Presidents prefer KU's academics and Basketball heritage(UK) over WVU and OSU's value. The Big 12 could remain a 8 team league or add other schools if it improved their per team payouts at whatever value they would be without OU and one other.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2017 07:11 PM by murrdcu.)
06-12-2017 07:01 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina

24 schools...

4 divisions of 6.

3 divisions of 8.

Those divisions are really unbalanced.
06-13-2017 12:57 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(06-13-2017 12:57 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  

24 schools...

4 divisions of 6.

3 divisions of 8.

Lol yup. Geographically along cleanish lines it's kinda hard to make those divisions balanced with those teams.
06-13-2017 03:17 PM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(06-13-2017 03:17 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(06-13-2017 12:57 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  

24 schools...

4 divisions of 6.

3 divisions of 8.

Lol yup. Geographically along cleanish lines it's kinda hard to make those divisions balanced with those teams.

The North would be a great division........in basketball.
06-13-2017 04:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.