umbluegray Online
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
Thanks, Liberal Education System!
Los Angeles Daily News

By Matt Levin, CALmatters
POSTED: 06/04/17, 10:38 AM PDT

75% of black California boys don’t meet state reading standards

Quote:Three of four African-American boys in California classrooms failed to meet reading and writing standards on the most recent round of testing, according to data obtained from the state Department of Education and analyzed by CALmatters.

Nothing contributes to poverty and government dependence than illiteracy.

And the sad part of this is that liberals and education professionals know this. Which leads me to believe it's an intentional effort to keep people suppressed and dependent.
06-05-2017 10:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
RE: Thanks, Liberal Education System!
(06-05-2017 10:02 AM)umbluegray Wrote:  Los Angeles Daily News

Quote:Three of four African-American boys in California classrooms failed to meet reading and writing standards on the most recent round of testing, according to data obtained from the state Department of Education and analyzed by CALmatters.

And the sad part of this is that liberals and education professionals know this. Which leads me to believe it's an intentional effort to keep people suppressed and dependent.

How does one intentionally do that?
06-05-2017 10:07 AM
LeFlâneur Offline
Banned

I Root For: USC
(06-05-2017 10:07 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 10:02 AM)umbluegray Wrote:  Nothing contributes to poverty and government dependence than illiteracy.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 10:23 AM by LeFlâneur.)
06-05-2017 10:22 AM
pcm0103 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU

So since the conservatives now hold the office and there is a new secretary of education we should see improvements in education.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 11:10 AM by pcm0103.)
06-05-2017 11:02 AM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo

I kind of agree with fit here... I don't think anyone wakes up and says "let's keep boys stupid"... I think it's a consequence of (1) not having fathers in the homes, (2) education's focus on girls, and (3) education's focus on teachers...
06-05-2017 11:13 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(06-05-2017 11:02 AM)pcm0103 Wrote:  

So since the conservatives now hold the office and there is a new secretary of education we should see improvements in education.

"State Rights"
07-coffee3
06-05-2017 11:14 AM
Advertisement

Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

Education results are far more driven by local decisions than federal ones....
06-05-2017 11:14 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-05-2017 11:13 AM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  

I kind of agree with fit here... I don't think anyone wakes up and says "let's keep boys stupid"... I think it's a consequence of (1) not having fathers in the homes, (2) education's focus on girls, and (3) education's focus on teachers...

(4) A school is a reflection of the constituency it serves. Give me a school whose parents are uneducated and don't care about education and often can't take care of themselves, let alone their kids and I'll show you a school that scores crappy on educational testing.

Moral of the story - If you major in education, make sure that you somehow someway make it into the employment of a suburban or town school system or you will be labeled a failure as a teacher given the measurement metrics.

While the pay in a large city school district will be good, the kids coming in the door will largely be from single parent households struggling to just live life day to day, will often arrive at school hungry. A good number of them will have substance abuse issues at home, and the list goes on and on.

Pouring money down that rabbit hole won't push the needle much if at all...........just the way it is.
06-05-2017 11:44 AM
umbluegray Online
Legend

(06-05-2017 11:14 AM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  

Education results are far more driven by local decisions than federal ones....

To a degree...

The state is responsible for education and designates local school districts.

The state bears the largest percentage of a school district's budget with the municipality bearing the next largest percentage.

The federal government contributes a small percentage typically 10% or less. Depending on the needs of the district it could be slightly more.

Before City of Memphis Schools dissolved and merged with Shelby County Schools, the feds kicked in 14% of their budget.

Typically, the federal portion is allocated to specific programs, not to education in general.

However, this contribution gives the feds control over the districts. If the feds say schools must include LGBT sensitivity curriculum, then that's the final word.

The state sets forth guidelines that local districts must follow.

The state determines curricula options. The local district can choose from among those options.

If a school or district does not perform up to minimum standards they are subject to takeover by the state.

Local school boards negotiate with the union, they propose and approve budgets, and other items, but they have very little control over content.
06-05-2017 01:15 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(06-05-2017 11:14 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  

"State Rights"
07-coffee3

Yes indeed. The states are in charge of public schools and given the fact that most Republican led states fair the worst in the country, perhaps we should be evaluating their school systems.
06-05-2017 01:17 PM
umbluegray Online
Legend

(06-05-2017 01:17 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 11:14 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  

"State Rights"
07-coffee3

Yes indeed. The states are in charge of public schools and given the fact that most Republican led states fair the worst in the country, perhaps we should be evaluating their school systems.

I asked this in another thread but haven't had a chance to see the replies:

Which GOP-led states fare worst?
06-05-2017 01:25 PM
Advertisement

Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(06-05-2017 01:17 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Yes indeed. The states are in charge of public schools and given the fact that most Republican led states fair the worst in the country, perhaps we should be evaluating their school systems.

It's even more local than that... You have to look district by district. My district gets the same(ish) amout of money as Minneapolis... And differences in performance has to do with how those schools are managed...

Hint: outside of standards the state does nothing to manage the schools.
06-05-2017 05:44 PM
wahoowa Offline
All American

I Root For:
DonatorsDonators
(06-05-2017 01:17 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Yes indeed. The states are in charge of public schools and given the fact that most Republican led states fair the worst in the country, perhaps we should be evaluating their school systems.

"Fair", and you're teaching. That explains a lot.
06-05-2017 07:22 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7

I don't think it is the education part of it, passing the kids to meet quota. The issue that I have seen, which is not all black kids, that a lot of kids refuse to learn or that some of the kids do have some type of learning disabilities. My reading level is 9th grade. It is not I do not want to learn, it is because I have struggled with certain words for me to understand due to the part of my hearing and speech problems.
06-05-2017 07:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Its about tax base. For instance we have a lot of African-American majority school districts in the Delta that don't have the tax base that, for example, Bentonville does. There just isn't a Wal-Mart corporate headquarters paying millage in the Delta. That has a real effect on disparity. This has been mitigated to some extent by court rulings and settlements but that has been eroded a bit.

The truth is we are in one boat called Arkansas and it doesn't matter which end of the boat the hole is in.
06-05-2017 07:37 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(06-05-2017 10:02 AM)umbluegray Wrote:  Nothing contributes to poverty and government dependence than illiteracy.

put them in your classes.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
06-05-2017 07:38 PM
Advertisement

Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
It's about the parents. That's really the bottom line. Politically incorrect statement here but when people say " good school district" what they really mean (even if unintentional) is a district without a single moms and out of wedlock children.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 08:00 PM by Hood-rich.)
06-05-2017 07:43 PM
umbluegray Online
Legend

Have you ever read Dewey's My Pedagogic Creed?
06-05-2017 11:13 PM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-05-2017 07:37 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Its about tax base. For instance we have a lot of African-American majority school districts in the Delta that don't have the tax base that, for example, Bentonville does. There just isn't a Wal-Mart corporate headquarters paying millage in the Delta. That has a real effect on disparity. This has been mitigated to some extent by court rulings and settlements but that has been eroded a bit.

The truth is we are in one boat called Arkansas and it doesn't matter which end of the boat the hole is in.

That is some of it, but far from the biggest reason that some schools succeed and some don't. I grew up in and then taught school in rural Appalachia - in schools that with today's testing don't fare particularly well.

Obviously, the tax base isn't very high, but the school buildings, etc. are plenty good enough for the most part. Is it one of those chicken/egg situations as people with more education have better jobs and tend to live in places with higher living standards......

What I observed both while in school and teaching was that kids whose parents demanded a certain level of academic performance and their expectations were that you do the work, those kids were successful and they went on to whatever university and have done fine in life. Kids from families that you couldn't coax to attend any parent/teacher conferences - well, they didn't fare so well, more often than not didn't do the work, stumbled through school and and far too often stumbled through life.

I've seen kids with some smarts escape the trap even if their parents didn't really care about their education IF they happened to run with the right crowd in school. One of my best friends from school and later college has looked right at me and said, "If it weren't for you telling me I was smart enough to go to college and staying after me, I never would have done it." He's gone on to become a state hall of fame high school coach and now works on Urban Meyers staff at Ohio State.

Sadly, it's more often than not the parents insistence, or lack thereof, that determines school success or failure...
06-06-2017 05:00 AM
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

So you blame this entire thing on Liberals? If only the world were as black and white as you seem to think it is.
06-06-2017 05:17 AM
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.