Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New facilities
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

The remake of Turchin will take place, albeit behind earlier proposed schedule. The basketball arena idea has been modified radically over the past two years. The reason, money. Or lack thereof. Tulane athletics has taken a serious hit financilly this season. Football attendance was down. Women's basketball attendance is down. Men's basketball attendance is non-existant. Revenues for all areas are down. Tulane supporters are not showing the long term commitment Cowan warned of. If we don't pick up our contributions, bad things will begin to happen.
01-29-2005 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Home of the Wave Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Contributions, as in donations, are probably nearly maxed out at this point. I think when "the review" hit, everybody did eveything they could do contribution-wise.
Winning is the only long-term remedy in my opinion. Unfortunately, the three major programs you mention haven't had a winning season in 2 years. Football is on its way back, but I'm not so confident about the two BB programs.
We need to do something about the men's program. If, as some have stated, Finney has been hampered by some sort of limitations in recruiting, we need to change that. Otherwise, we will need a new coach.
As far as the women's program is concerned, a lot of people give credit for Stockton's earlier success to her assistants (more specifically the one we just lost to). If this is the case, then she either needs to take up the slack in recruiting herself or find some assistants who can recruit better. Otherwise, we will also need a new coach in women's BB.
01-29-2005 11:09 AM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

To be blunt, we need to sell more tickets to games, football, basketball and ladies basketball. And I don't believe contributions are maxed out. I believe we have not scratched the surface of the contributor base. And there is absolutely no reason why employees of Tulane do not buy season tickets. I would have a chart of all ticket purchases in every personnel folder of every employee. I would use that information as supplimental information in all job reviews for salary increases or promotions.
01-29-2005 03:28 PM
Advertisement

Home of the Wave Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Observer Wrote:To be blunt, we need to sell more tickets to games, football, basketball and ladies basketball. And I don't believe contributions are maxed out. I believe we have not scratched the surface of the contributor base. And there is absolutely no reason why employees of Tulane do not buy season tickets. I would have a chart of all ticket purchases in every personnel folder of every employee. I would use that information as supplimental information in all job reviews for salary increases or promotions.
Of course we need to sell more tickets. But nobody is interested as long as you're losing. How enjoyable was the Louisville game tonight? We were down 17 with 10 minutes gone in the first half.
Maybe we haven't maxed out all contributors. I don't really know. I just assume that everyone who heard about the review maxed out their contributions to help save the program.
As far as Tulane employees, you're right to a certain extent, but do we really want to force people to buy tickets to athletic events as part of their job? It just seems to be placing a little too much emphasis on athletics for those not interested. As an anology, would you like it if your employer urged you to play on the company softball team and used it as supplemental information in all job reviews for salary increases or promotions. I wouldn't. I think a better strategy is to urge employees to attend athletic events and offer discounts on tickets, which I think they already do.
01-30-2005 12:13 AM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

Home of the Wave Wrote:As an anology, would you like it if your employer urged you to play on the company softball team and used it as supplemental information in all job reviews for salary increases or promotions.
I have no idea what kind of work you do, but I can promise you that companies expect their employees to be loyal, attend company picknics, play on company teams, participate in company events, contribute to company concerns, i.e. United Way, politics, etc. I cannot help but remember the measurable number of Tulane employees who turned out to buy tickets to the super regional games against LSU, in support of LSU. Tulane is the single largest private employer in New Orleans. If Tulane were to start demanding loyalty from their employees through programs such as athletics, you would see an immediate impact spread throughout the New Orleans area. And I'm not saying that season ticket purchases should be the sole dividing factor as to whether or not a person is retained, promoted or given a raise. I think it can be used in a subtle manner to let employees know that it is being watched and weighed.
01-30-2005 09:58 AM
Advertisement

Home of the Wave Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Observer Wrote:I have no idea what kind of work you do, but I can promise you that companies expect their employees to be loyal, attend company picknics, play on company teams, participate in company events, contribute to company concerns, i.e. United Way, politics, etc.
I've worked for both large and small companies for almost 30 years. I now own my own small consulting business.

While companies do want employees to participate in some social events such as company picnics, I have never had any company take any interest whatsoever in who plays on company teams, for example. This is usually something employees do on their own and ask for company sponsorship. Also, contributions to charity are optional, and have never even been mentioned on an individual basis by management to me or anyone else that I know of. I have never in my life been asked to contribute to any political cause by my company. I couldn't even tell you who any company I worked for supported politically, or if they supported anyone at all.

Also, I know of no case where any of the above was ever taken into account in someone's performance review. Maybe there are companies that do it, but I wouldn't want to work for them. That was my point.
01-30-2005 12:26 PM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

Well, let me give you a list of some that do or have done it. This list comes from personal knowledge; NOPD (mandatory contribuitions to United Way,) Marion Scientific (political,) Roche Laboratories (political,) Skymax (demands social participation,) as well as several others. Most companies expect employee loyalty to be demonstrated in their actions.
01-31-2005 11:21 AM
Advertisement

Home of the Wave Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Observer Wrote:Well, let me give you a list of some that do or have done it. This list comes from personal knowledge; NOPD (mandatory contribuitions to United Way,) Marion Scientific (political,) Roche Laboratories (political,) Skymax (demands social participation,) as well as several others. Most companies expect employee loyalty to be demonstrated in their actions.
Again, I don't doubt that companies do it. I just wouldn't want to work for them. And I wouldn't want Tulane University to do something like this as an employer. Just my opinion on how a company should treat employees. I don't think you can mandate loyalty. By definition, loyalty is "a feeling or attitude of devoted attachment and affection." Do you think you can get this feeling from people by forcing them to do things they don't want to do?

I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this.
01-31-2005 11:52 AM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

Home of the Wave Wrote:
Observer Wrote:Well, let me give you a list of some that do or have done it.  This list comes from personal knowledge;  NOPD (mandatory contribuitions to United Way,) Marion Scientific (political,) Roche Laboratories (political,) Skymax (demands social participation,) as well as several others.  Most companies expect employee loyalty to be demonstrated in their actions.
Again, I don't doubt that companies do it. I just wouldn't want to work for them. And I wouldn't want Tulane University to do something like this as an employer. Just my opinion on how a company should treat employees. I don't think you can mandate loyalty. By definition, loyalty is "a feeling or attitude of devoted attachment and affection." Do you think you can get this feeling from people by forcing them to do things they don't want to do?

I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this.
As I previously stated, they wouldn't have to. It would simply be one of the factors in measuring their merit for promotion or raise. Not the measurement, but a measurement. I think it would have a sudden and positive impact on entire New Orleans community and their relationship with Tulane.
01-31-2005 12:18 PM
Advertisement

Home of the Wave Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Observer Wrote:I think it would have a sudden and positive impact on entire New Orleans community and their relationship with Tulane.
Could you explain this further? Why would this have a positive impact on the New Orleans community?
01-31-2005 05:25 PM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

It would have a positive impact on the New Orleans community because Tulane employs thousands of people. Those employees, for the most part, would then take some ownership in the success of Tulane athletics impoving fan support. Improved fan support would improve media coverage. Improved fan support and improved media coverage would improve Tulane as a draw for other fans, improving interest from other areas. More people attending games means more people traveling to New Orleans, more people eating at local restarurants, etc.
01-31-2005 07:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.