Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Baton Rouge Regional/Game 1 SELA Preview-- Round 3
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
Baton Rouge Regional/Game 1 SELA Preview-- Round 3
As we return to the Baton Rouge regional, we face a familiar foe, the Southeastern Louisiana Lions (SELA), a team we crushed twice in last year's regional, but one that returned the favor by winning a weekend series from us at Reckling back in late February. (Emblematic of our early season struggles and sloppiness, we committed a combined 8 errors and surrendered 20 BBs/HBPs in those two losses.) In this weekend's rubber match, the seedings have flipped, with SELA the #2 seed and the Owls the #3 seed, though our overall resumes are actually quite similar.

The Lions boast an overall record of 36 - 20 (16-13 on road/neutral, 8-6 vs. Top 50, 16-10 vs. Top 100), but are just 5-5 in their last 10 games (including 1-2 in the Southland Conference tournament). Their current national rankings sit at #26 RPI, #40 ISR and #76 SoS (vs. #36 RPI, #58 ISR and #7 SoS for Rice). We have played nearly twice as many games than SELA against both Top 50 and Top 100 opponents, and have more wins against such opponents. Here's their schedule and results to date...

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/sch...-Louisiana

Offensively, their overall team stats would not appear to strike fear in anyone: 255/.368/.414. However, they have hit 55 HRs (boasting 3 different players with 10+ HRs), are amongst the national leaders in stolen bases with 110 SBs (including 5 different players with 10+ SBs) and, despite their low team AVG, they're averaging half a run per game more than the Owls (6.5 vs. 5.9). Unlike ourselves, where there is no easy out top to bottom, the Lions have an unbalanced lineup with four players hitting over .300, but everybody else hitting below .270 (including 3 regulars hitting under .220). They're led by Taylor Schwaner (.320/.444/.620, 13 HRs, 17 doubles/triples, 68 RBIs, 16-19 SBs), Drew Avans (.314/.452/.451, 4 HRs, 15 doubles/triples, 29 RBIs, 26-30 SBs) and Carson Crites (.301/.390/.571, 14 HRs, 58 RBIs, 14-16 SBs). Avans is one of the top 5 base stealers in the country. They also match up favorably against our right-hand laden pitching staff, as their lineup features 5 left-handed or switch hitters (though Avans is the only one hitting above .260 on the year). Clearly, our pitchers need to keep the free passes (BBs/HBPs) to an absolute minimum, and when they do get on base, hold them close to the bag. Aggressive running teams have exploited us this year. On the positive side, SELA batters strike out a ton-- 3 of their top 4 hitters have racked up 50+ Ks, and the team is averaging just under 8 strikeouts per game. If we can get ahead in the count and then throw a steady diet of off-speed pitches and breaking balls we should be in good shape.

On the mound, the SELA staff has posted solid, but not elite across-the-board stats: 4.09 ERA, .250 BAA, 1.37 WHIP, 2.4 K:BB ratio. Their strength is in control and throwing strikes, as they're averaging just 3 BBs per game. The Lions feature a pair of RHP co-aces and a quality closer...

Corey Gaconi (Soph, RHP): 15 starts, 6-5, 101.2 IP, 2.83 ERA, .239 BAA, 12 BBs, 66 Ks
Mac Sceroler (Jr, RHP): 14 starts, 9-1, 97.1 IP, 3.24 ERA, .214 BAA, 30 BBs, 10 WPs, 108 Ks

Evan Heilman (Jr, RHP): 17 app, 3-2, 5 saves, 31.1 IP, 6 BBs, 29 Ks

My guess is we get Sceroler again, which actually helps us as he is more of a power pitcher; whereas Gaconi is a soft-tosser who does an excellent job locating his pitches and changing speeds. Given their ability to throw strikes, our hitters should take a more aggressive approach, and be looking for first pitch fastballs.

Here are SELA's individual and team stats...

http://www.lionsports.net/cumestats.aspx...&year=2017

And, finally, here's my SELA writeup from earlier in the season with the various preseason previews and scouting reports on the Southeastern Louisiana Lions...

http://csnbbs.com/thread-810134.html

It's going to be interesting to see how Coach Graham elects to structure our pitching rotation for the weekend, especially since Matt Canterino went 4 innings in the Sunday championship game after throwing 110 pitches in the Wednesday CUSA tourney opener. Zach Esquivel will be fully rested having last pitched a week ago Thursday, and it certainly would be tempting to save our Friday ace for LSU should we beat SELA on Friday. Note-- both Matt and Zach struggled against SELA in our Sunday loss back in February.

We may be the lower seed in this one, but we come into Baton Rouge the far hotter team, having won four straight games (all against Top 50 clubs), 8 of our last nine, and 18 of our last 22 games. No question we are a confident and determined Parliament of Owls at the moment. And as satisfying as it was to regain the Silver Glove trophy, win the conference championship and keep our post-season streak alive after being all but down for the count in April, let's not just be satisfied getting to this point. Let's keep the momentum going and get into the winners bracket where we have an opportunity to avenge last year's heart-breaking loss to LSU. (As much as the team wants LSU, SELA is too good a team for us to be looking ahead.) Let's keep that survival mentality that carried us the past 6+ weeks, and keep the focus on the game at hand. Find a way-- any way-- to win. Go Owls!
05-31-2017 04:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
RE: Baton Rouge Regional/Game 1 SELA Preview-- Round 3
Thanks Walt.

And per a tweet, the bus to Baton Rouge left the campus...hope they remembered the bats.
05-31-2017 05:15 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-31-2017 05:15 PM)grol Wrote:  Thanks Walt.

And per a tweet, the bus to Baton Rouge left the campus...hope they remembered the bats.

I'm more concerned with the pitchers throwing strikes. We have enough quality hitters in the lineup that I'm fairly confident that at least several of them will have good games.
05-31-2017 05:30 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Call me crazy but I'd rather see Amador pitch Game 1 than Esquivel. Amador pitches with a lot more moxie and does well in the big games.

Amador game 1
Canterino game 2 (if we win) and Kravetz (if we lose, as it'd presumably be against TSU)

That way, if we win game 1, we've really set our pitching up well. If we lose game 1, we really haven't sacrificed anything. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you lose on Friday or Saturday, as long as you lose. If we are to win this regional, Amador will have to pitch one game.
05-31-2017 05:59 PM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-31-2017 05:59 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Call me crazy but I'd rather see Amador pitch Game 1 than Esquivel. Amador pitches with a lot more moxie and does well in the big games.

Amador game 1
Canterino game 2 (if we win) and Kravetz (if we lose, as it'd presumably be against TSU)

That way, if we win game 1, we've really set our pitching up well. If we lose game 1, we really haven't sacrificed anything. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you lose on Friday or Saturday, as long as you lose. If we are to win this regional, Amador will have to pitch one game.

Disagree. Zach is the most rested, and save for a couple hiccups down the stretch, he has been our most consistent pitcher all season. If coach elects to give Matt an extra day to rest up, which I think would be wise, I'd go with Zach even though I agree with you re. Willy's big game moxie.
05-31-2017 07:40 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Here's the SELA game notes for the game...

http://www.lionsports.net/news/2017/5/31...tchup.aspx

...looks like they'll be starting Gaconi instead of Sceroler. Hope we've finally learned how to hit a soft-tosser-- stay back in the box and go the opposite field.

And if these game notes are accurate, it appears we're going with Canterino on short rest (though it will be 5 days). Interesting.
06-01-2017 09:58 AM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

(06-01-2017 09:58 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Here's the SELA game notes for the game...

http://www.lionsports.net/news/2017/5/31...tchup.aspx

...looks like they'll be starting Gaconi instead of Sceroler. Hope we've finally learned how to hit a soft-tosser-- stay back in the box and go the opposite field.

And if these game notes are accurate, it appears we're going with Canterino on short rest (though it will be 5 days). Interesting.

Damn...so we won't get to hear Ben McDonald wax Cajun poetic about his nephew? What a shame.
06-01-2017 10:24 AM
Advertisement

mrbig Offline
Heisman

(06-01-2017 09:58 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  And if these game notes are accurate, it appears we're going with Canterino on short rest (though it will be 5 days). Interesting.

If Rice does go with Canterino, I imagine the decision is being made with an eye toward potential games on Monday/Tuesday. Canterino threw 113 pitches last Wednesday and 70 pitches on Sunday, so hopefully he's been eating his Wheaties! Would be super-helpful if Rice can score about 20 runs in the first few innings so he can make an early exit!
06-01-2017 04:28 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Nice Chronicle article on Matt Canterino...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/r...186874.php
06-01-2017 04:34 PM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

(05-31-2017 05:15 PM)grol Wrote:  Thanks Walt.

And per a tweet, the bus to Baton Rouge left the campus...hope they remembered the boats.

FIFY
06-01-2017 05:58 PM
Advertisement

Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

5 days rest is plenty.
06-01-2017 06:20 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(06-01-2017 06:20 PM)Owl1998 Wrote:  5 days rest is plenty.

For a major leaguer, who is used to pitching every 5th day; not so much for college pitchers who are used to pitching every seventh day. Matt threw over 180 pitches last week, including 70 on Sunday.

I hope he has enough in the tank to give us 5+ strong innings.
06-01-2017 07:21 PM
jhruzek Offline
1st String

Wrong discussion
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2017 08:01 PM by jhruzek.)
06-01-2017 08:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(06-01-2017 04:34 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Nice Chronicle article on Matt Canterino...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/r...186874.php

Another good article on Matt, this time by our own Chuck Pool, with numerous quotes from the Freshman...

http://www.riceowls.com/blog/2017/06/can...ional.html
06-01-2017 09:42 PM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
Game day!
06-02-2017 07:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.