Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SEC shopping idea of 14 week schedule
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
SEC shopping idea of 14 week schedule
Personally, I like the extra bye week. The schedule is tough and this might do one of two things...

1. Be a prelude to the 9th conference game

2. Allow for better non-conference scheduling as the value of using cupcakes games for rest is diminished.

Add an extra bye week?
05-31-2017 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: SEC shopping idea of 14 week schedule
(05-31-2017 03:46 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Personally, I like the extra bye week. The schedule is tough and this might do one of two things...

2. Allow for better non-conference scheduling as the value of using cupcakes games for rest is diminished.

Add an extra bye week?

We had that before we went to 12 games. I'm cool with it and see the upside and the garnered leverage for that 9th conference game. But don't look for a 9th conference game until we renew or sell our CBS contract in 2022.
05-31-2017 04:06 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(05-31-2017 04:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-31-2017 03:46 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Personally, I like the extra bye week. The schedule is tough and this might do one of two things...

Add an extra bye week?

We had that before we went to 12 games. I'm cool with it and see the upside and the garnered leverage for that 9th conference game. But don't look for a 9th conference game until we renew or sell our CBS contract in 2022.

Good points JR, but I gotta disagree with the Sabans. For other programs an extra week to rest and practice will greatly help the strength of their program. I know Alabama was complaining a few years ago about almost every SEC team taking the week off before the tide game. That's just earned respect.

I know Arkansas is not too happy having a bye week in week three. If we had another one later, there would be no problems at all from the hill.
05-31-2017 04:40 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

(05-31-2017 04:40 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

Add an extra bye week?

Good points JR, but I gotta disagree with the Sabans. For other programs an extra week to rest and practice will greatly help the strength of their program. I know Alabama was complaining a few years ago about almost every SEC team taking the week off before the tide game. That's just earned respect.

I know Arkansas is not too happy having a bye week in week three. If we had another one later, there would be no problems at all from the hill.

I'm also glad to see an early signing period. The majority of commits are ready to start with their first choice and this gets them in classes in January without any problems. What this cuts back on is the flipping of major recruits from the not so promenent programs we always see leading up to the only signing day. I remember Arkansas flipped a guy from Kansas who then got flipped to Oklahoma. I'd rather see that calamity fought between recruits intentionally waiting as long as possible to commit.
05-31-2017 04:46 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Add an extra bye week?

Yeah, I don't understand Saban's point on the length of the season. I don't see a downside to an extra Bye week.

I suppose it's possible he's afraid we'll end up playing a 13th game instead of getting a true off week. He does want a 9th conference game so I give him credit for that. Hopefully we get both byes in the future and it helps soften the blow of going to a solely P5 schedule.
05-31-2017 05:08 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-31-2017 05:08 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

Add an extra bye week?

Yeah, I don't understand Saban's point on the length of the season. I don't see a downside to an extra Bye week.

I suppose it's possible he's afraid we'll end up playing a 13th game instead of getting a true off week. He does want a 9th conference game so I give him credit for that. Hopefully we get both byes in the future and it helps soften the blow of going to a solely P5 schedule.

Eventually I want that 13th game. But I want it in the next to last weekend of August at night against an in state G5 or FCS school and in lieu of the Spring Game and officially listed as a pre season game. You package it as the 7th home game in the season ticket book when the regular season moves to all P5 home and home or neutral site games. That gives all of our programs a solid tune up at game speed. It makes another state small school some money. And it fills a whole in the network schedule and brings us more money. You play the game and then have two weeks to get ready for your opener.

It was Dabo's idea and it's a good one!
05-31-2017 05:19 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(05-31-2017 05:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Add an extra bye week?

Eventually I want that 13th game. But I want it in the next to last weekend of August at night against an in state G5 or FCS school and in lieu of the Spring Game and officially listed as a pre season game. You package it as the 7th home game in the season ticket book when the regular season moves to all P5 home and home or neutral site games. That gives all of our programs a solid tune up at game speed. It makes another state small school some money. And it fills a whole in the network schedule and brings us more money. You play the game and then have two weeks to get ready for your opener.

I would rather have the spring game become a preseason game vs another opponent.
Screwing over the season ticket holders is not a wise idea.
05-31-2017 05:52 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-31-2017 05:52 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(05-31-2017 04:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  We had that before we went to 12 games. I'm cool with it and see the upside and the garnered leverage for that 9th conference game. But don't look for a 9th conference game until we renew or sell our CBS contract in 2022.

I would rather have the spring game become a preseason game vs another opponent.

They pay an extra 50 bucks for that ticket if the rest of their book is all P5 and if it helps them land some away tickets as well. Murrdcu, if they don't feel screwed over by now, then they must enjoy the annual molestation by the athletic department.
05-31-2017 06:01 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(05-31-2017 06:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-31-2017 05:52 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(05-31-2017 04:40 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Good points JR, but I gotta disagree with the Sabans. For other programs an extra week to rest and practice will greatly help the strength of their program. I know Alabama was complaining a few years ago about almost every SEC team taking the week off before the tide game. That's just earned respect.

They pay an extra 50 bucks for that ticket if the rest of their book is all P5 and if it helps them land some away tickets as well. Murrdcu, if they don't feel screwed over by now, then they must enjoy the annual molestation by the athletic department.

Given that there is no Requirement for all opponents to be P5 as of now, adding a meaningless preseason game to the already expensive bundle may push fans out the door.

There is always a bending point in ticket purchasing. Ever fan had a limit and that needs to be evaluated.
05-31-2017 06:07 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Well, they're paying for 7 games already. Most of the P5 schools just schedule 2-3 cupcakes and play their only tough road games in conference. So really, as far as value goes, it's an upgrade.

There are a lot of neutral site games too now and those probably won't go away so I'm not sure it will ever be a completely congruent schedule, but I wouldn't mind the 13th game as long as it was guaranteed against the type of opponent JR is talking about.

For one thing, a lot of these small communities need the dollars these home games bring in. I guarantee a lot if not all of the people making money off of these home games, the local business owners, are alumni or donors or both. They are not only active citizens that have influence with the cities and counties where the schools reside, but they probably have direct influence on the school itself.
05-31-2017 08:42 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
I would make the preseason game separate from the regular season ticket package. Season ticket holders who don't want to pay for or attend a lackluster preseason game won't have to. Then, gives an opportunity to some die hard fans to get better tickets for one exhibition game.

Make it a true preseason game that doesn't count towards the win-loss record and stats. Also, allow redshirt players to play in the exhibition.

Regular season schedule only includes FBS opponents - eventually with substantial P5 scheduling requirements.

And, no need to replace the spring game. You can do both.
06-02-2017 10:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.