Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Early season TV schedules being announced
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Early season TV schedules being announced
There's some interesting tidbits coming out today about the upcoming season's football schedules...

Here is CBS' schedule for the season. Only a few games are known at this time...

Arkansas and TCU will play on CBS on Sept. 9th.

What I find interesting about this is that CBS would choose the TCU game as their big game that day. I don't want to read too much into it, and it's obvious they want to attract attention in the massive DFW and overall TX market, but are they doing a trial run to see how many viewers they can garner for the SEC games in that market?

South Carolina and Missouri is the only other conference game that day. Auburn plays Clemson and Georgia plays Notre Dame, but both of those are road games so they weren't options. As I said, don't want to read too much into it, but I found it interesting.
05-31-2017 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Early season TV schedules being announced
(05-31-2017 03:41 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  There's some interesting tidbits coming out today about the upcoming season's football schedules...

Here is CBS' schedule for the season. Only a few games are known at this time...

What I find interesting about this is that CBS would choose the TCU game as their big game that day. I don't want to read too much into it, and it's obvious they want to attract attention in the massive DFW and overall TX market, but are they doing a trial run to see how many viewers they can garner for the SEC games in that market?

South Carolina and Missouri is the only other conference game that day. Auburn plays AT Clemson and Georgia plays AT Notre Dame, but both of those are road games so they weren't options. As I said, don't want to read too much into it, but I found it interesting.

Added two important words. SEC teams don't control those TV rights.
05-31-2017 06:01 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(05-31-2017 06:01 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(05-31-2017 03:41 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  There's some interesting tidbits coming out today about the upcoming season's football schedules...

South Carolina and Missouri is the only other conference game that day. Auburn plays AT Clemson and Georgia plays AT Notre Dame, but both of those are road games so they weren't options. As I said, don't want to read too much into it, but I found it interesting.

I know, but it's unusual for CBS to feature teams that aren't in the conference unless it's a UF/FSU match-up for example.

Just found it interesting they would value a TCU game more than a conference game.
05-31-2017 08:33 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-31-2017 08:33 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

I know, but it's unusual for CBS to feature teams that aren't in the conference unless it's a UF/FSU match-up for example.

Just found it interesting they would value a TCU game more than a conference game.

Well it's the first week. There aren't any conference games.
05-31-2017 08:50 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(05-31-2017 08:50 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Actually Missouri and South Carolina are playing that week. Admittedly, that's not typically a prime match-up.
05-31-2017 09:00 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas

You dissing the hogs and the frogs?

05-mafia

It's an early season matchup CBS views as being worth airing. Should be a fun game as it'll be the first test for both teams. Next year I'm sure CBS will be choosing between UGa vs ND and Auburn vs Clemson that week.
06-01-2017 01:57 PM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(06-01-2017 01:57 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

05-mafia

It's an early season matchup CBS views as being worth airing. Should be a fun game as it'll be the first test for both teams. Next year I'm sure CBS will be choosing between UGa vs ND and Auburn vs Clemson that week.

Definitely a more interesting match up than South Carolina and Missouri, this will be TCU and Arkansas' 70th all-time meeting so lots of history there vs. just 7 match ups for South Carolina and Missouri.

Plus last year's TCU vs. Arkansas game was very entertaining, so maybe they are expecting more of the same this year.
06-01-2017 03:00 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(06-01-2017 01:57 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

05-mafia

Not at all. 04-cheers

I'm just wondering if they're experimenting with what it takes to get more TX viewers.
06-02-2017 07:52 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(05-31-2017 09:00 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(05-31-2017 08:50 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Actually Missouri and South Carolina are playing that week. Admittedly, that's not typically a prime match-up.

But it is for the Columbia Cup! lol
06-02-2017 01:41 PM
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
Does CBS always get 2 SEC games each week in November?

Are college football TV numbers usually higher in November than earlier in the season?
06-02-2017 01:53 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(06-02-2017 01:53 PM)YNot Wrote:  Does CBS always get 2 SEC games each week in November?

Are college football TV numbers usually higher in November than earlier in the season?

If I remember correctly they usually do on opening week, but I don't recall that extending for two more weeks. It will be interesting to see how this is calculated in for the payouts.
06-02-2017 03:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.