ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

On to Football Season (summertime thread)......
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Well baseball season had a crappy ending but we are getting closer to football season. This thread is dedicated to all things ODU football over the off season.

- Camp battles
- When do recruits and transfers start working out
- Any off season injuries

1. On offense - At quarterback who we all know the potential starter: LaRussa, Drayton, and Hoy. My money would be on Drayton Arnold, I really want to see him play but I think Hoy will really challenge. I wish I got to the spring game to see some of the young wide recievers, I hear Cortez Ervin looked good as well as Noah Ellison who was a 3 star recruit.

On defense we have a lot of returning starters but Linebacker is a major question mark and im a little worried. Everywhere else we should be good.

2. I think the incoming recruits and transfers should be coming to campus within the next couple weeks. Pray for an offseason with no dismissals or any of that crap.

3. No news is good news on this topic.
05-30-2017 02:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jumpshooter Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: On to Football Season (summertime thread)......
Others may disagree, but I liked the way Arnold threw the ball in the spring game. Seemed to have more zip on it than LaRussa (and Lord knows he threw it enough times).
05-30-2017 02:45 PM
84Monarch Offline
1st String

(05-30-2017 02:45 PM)jumpshooter Wrote:  Others may disagree, but I liked the way Arnold threw the ball in the spring game. Seemed to have more zip on it than LaRussa (and Lord knows he threw it enough times).

Between Larussa and Arnold there seemed to be quite a gap on understanding the offense and accuracy. I give the edge to Larussa even though his arm may be slightly weaker than Arnold. Larussa also displayed better pocket awareness and discipline.
05-30-2017 03:04 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Agree ^ I thought Arnold was a little to quick to improvise, of course that may be because his line wasn't holding up as well as Larussa's. In time Arnold will have more pocket awareness, but he certainly looks like a running QB right now.
05-30-2017 03:07 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

After the spring game, I also gave the edge to LaRussa, although I thought both played well. With Hoy added to the mix and hopefully competing strongly, I believe whoever is named starter will be ready to perform. Though we are unknown at QB, and despite having similar feelings going into the 2015 season, I believe we will be in good shape at this key position come September.
05-30-2017 08:36 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

Does anyone know if Hoy is taking summer classes or will he arrive with the rest of the new comers?
05-31-2017 06:04 AM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I think Wilder said he arrives June 21. I asked BW if Hoy was getting any tutoring on the play book before coming and he said Whitcomb is working with him via internet.
05-31-2017 07:13 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

That's good to hear. The further along he can get before he steps on campus, the more able he will be to compete from the get go. It's too bad we cannot attend any of the August practices. I would really like to see him before we are on the field against Albany, where we may not see him in the game at all.
05-31-2017 07:49 AM
757ODU Offline
All American

(05-31-2017 07:49 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  That's good to hear. The further along he can get before he steps on campus, the more able he will be to compete from the get go. It's too bad we cannot attend any of the August practices. I would really like to see him before we are on the field against Albany, where we may not see him in the game at all.

I like Blake but I really hope they can get Hoy up to speed on the playbook. Due to him being so athletic, they may be able to simplify the playbook for him based on his ability to run. I don't know much about the X's and O's of football but this kid seems to be incredibly agile and with the 2 studs in the backfield with him, it might make for an easy decision. Who knows? Certainly not me.
05-31-2017 08:15 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I like Blake too. He seems like a great guy and is tough, but I have a feeling if he winds up being the starter, we may be in for tougher season than we think. Hoping Hoy comes in and is clearly the best.
05-31-2017 10:13 AM
SettleDownFolks Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-30-2017 02:27 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  Well baseball season had a crappy ending but we are getting closer to football season. This thread is dedicated to all things ODU football over the off season.

- Camp battles

1. On offense - At quarterback who we all know the potential starter: LaRussa, Drayton, and Hoy. My money would be on Drayton Arnold, I really want to see him play but I think Hoy will really challenge. I wish I got to the spring game to see some of the young wide recievers, I hear Cortez Ervin looked good as well as Noah Ellison who was a 3 star recruit.

On defense we have a lot of returning starters but Linebacker is a major question mark and im a little worried. Everywhere else we should be good.

2. I think the incoming recruits and transfers should be coming to campus within the next couple weeks. Pray for an offseason with no dismissals or any of that crap.

What makes you so sure Hoy will challenge? I hope people aren't going to put unreal expectations on him like we all did with Shuler. There is a reason why his FBS offers were us and Coastal Carolina.
05-31-2017 01:33 PM
Advertisement

odu09 Offline
Heisman

(05-31-2017 01:33 PM)SettleDownFolks Wrote:  
(05-30-2017 02:27 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  Well baseball season had a crappy ending but we are getting closer to football season. This thread is dedicated to all things ODU football over the off season.

- Camp battles

What makes you so sure Hoy will challenge? I hope people aren't going to put unreal expectations on him like we all did with Shuler. There is a reason why his FBS offers were us and Coastal Carolina.

Relevant username
05-31-2017 01:52 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

Not good. Derek Wilder arrested for eluding Chesapeake police;
http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...4239a.html
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2017 01:58 PM by Monarchist13.)
05-31-2017 01:58 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Wow, hate to have to come home and answer to Dad on that one. Bobby will have to tread carefully on how to act on this one.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2017 02:03 PM by Gilesfan.)
05-31-2017 02:03 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

What a dumba55. He is done for at ODU
05-31-2017 02:04 PM
84Monarch Offline
1st String

(05-31-2017 02:04 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  What a dumba55. He is done for at ODU
not sure that one is a kick him off the team offense until we know the full circumstances, which we may never know.
05-31-2017 02:08 PM
Advertisement

ODU804 Offline
2nd String

(05-31-2017 01:58 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Not good. Derek Wilder arrested for eluding Chesapeake police;
http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...4239a.html

Wow, i definitely feel bad for BW in this scenario. As a father, i can't imagine the difficult situation he faces between wanting to support his son and have him on the team and living up to the standard of conduct that i'm sure he preaches to the other players.
05-31-2017 02:09 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2017 02:08 PM)84Monarch Wrote:  
(05-31-2017 02:04 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  What a dumba55. He is done for at ODU
not sure that one is a kick him off the team offense until we know the full circumstances, which we may never know.

Yep, my thought as well. If this is first incident, it will be a misdemeanor and I would assume we have a few players that have had misdemeanors.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2017 02:12 PM by Gilesfan.)
05-31-2017 02:11 PM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

I'm sure the decision will be taken out of Wilder's hands. It's not the worst offense. I'd put it below a DUI in severity, and we've had a number of players get DUIs and not get kicked off their respective teams.
05-31-2017 02:20 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

Regardless of suspension, he's still dumb.
05-31-2017 02:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.