Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt Divisions Announced
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
http://www.cbssports.com/college-footbal...ay-system/

The Sun Belt is losing two teams, but it's getting two new divisions.

Both New Mexico State and Idaho will leave the Sun Belt following the 2017 season, and Coastal Carolina will join as it finishes its transition from the FCS level to the FBS in 2018. That will give the conference 10 total teams, and it will divide those teams into two separate five-team divisions.

They divisions will be divided by geography.

East: Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Troy

West: Arkansas State, Louisiana, UL-Monroe, South Alabama, Texas State
05-23-2017 12:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
RE: Sun Belt Divisions Announced
I presume South-Troy will be a permanent crossover. Would there be any others?
05-23-2017 12:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie4Skins Online
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
Ten teams and they're doing divisions? Hell, just follow the Big 12 model instead.
05-23-2017 12:18 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I actually like the divisions better than the Big 12 model.

You would play the 4 teams in your division and 4 of 5 in the other division, with 1 permanent crossover, I would guess.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 12:22 PM by BullsFanInTX.)
05-23-2017 12:21 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-23-2017 12:18 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Ten teams and they're doing divisions? Hell, just follow the Big 12 model instead.

Several schools have four non-conference scheduled several years out.
05-23-2017 12:59 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
I thought the NCAA rule allowing ten team conferences to play CCGs required them to play a full round robin.
05-23-2017 01:20 PM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-23-2017 01:20 PM)orangefan Wrote:  I thought the NCAA rule allowing ten team conferences to play CCGs required them to play a full round robin.

No, it's an either/or. Can play round robin or split into divisions. Up to conference. B12 decided to do round robin, Sun Belt decided to do divisions.
05-23-2017 02:25 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-23-2017 12:21 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  I actually like the divisions better than the Big 12 model.

You would play the 4 teams in your division and 4 of 5 in the other division, with 1 permanent crossover, I would guess.

Don't think you need a permanent crossover. You'll play them 4 out of 5 years.
If you went to 12 or more then the permanent crossover would be needed.

So now we'll have all the FBS conferences with CCG's.
05-23-2017 03:57 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(05-23-2017 12:59 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(05-23-2017 12:18 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Ten teams and they're doing divisions? Hell, just follow the Big 12 model instead.

Several schools have four non-conference scheduled several years out.

Plus most of the conference members would rather only play 8 instead of 9 conference games.
05-23-2017 03:57 PM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

SBC teams have a unique need for 4 OOC games every year to ensure everyone gets at least 6 home games. Especially when you take money games with P5 schools into account. They had to keep 8 conference games, which means divisions is the only option.

Then you have the issue that the only way to do divisions was to split one of the leagues biggest rivalries into separate divisions, meaning a cross over rival that you play every year must be guaranteed.
05-23-2017 04:30 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Aside from the fact that some schools already had 4 OOC games scheduled, the round robin method and a 9 game schedule for the SBC as currently configured. South Alabama not only got stuck in the tougher division but has inconvenient travel too.
05-23-2017 04:47 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(05-23-2017 04:47 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Aside from the fact that some schools already had 4 OOC games scheduled, the round robin method and a 9 game schedule for the SBC as currently configured. South Alabama not only got stuck in the tougher division but has inconvenient travel too.

Not sure how you figure they got that bad side of the travel. Troy is the closest opponent in Sun Belt East and by all accounts they are guaranteed to play Troy every year. Next closest SBC East is Georgia State and both of the Louisiana schools are closer to USA than Georgia State. Next closest SBC East is Georgia Southern and Arkansas State is closer than GaSo. The longest SBC West trip is shorter than the longest SBC East trip.

USA travel to Sun Belt East
Coastal 671
App 628
Ga So 461
Ga St 328
Troy 167

USA Travel to Sun Belt West
UL Lafayette 255
ULM 308
AState 435
TXST 631
05-23-2017 05:16 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
I guess for basketball, South Alabama goes to the east with Little Rock and UTA go to the west.
05-23-2017 05:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(05-23-2017 05:20 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  I guess for basketball, South Alabama goes to the east with Little Rock and UTA go to the west.

Basketball doesn't use divisions but that's how it is in baseball and volleyball which do use divisions.
05-23-2017 05:30 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(05-23-2017 05:16 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(05-23-2017 04:47 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Aside from the fact that some schools already had 4 OOC games scheduled, the round robin method and a 9 game schedule for the SBC as currently configured. South Alabama not only got stuck in the tougher division but has inconvenient travel too.

Not sure how you figure they got that bad side of the travel. Troy is the closest opponent in Sun Belt East and by all accounts they are guaranteed to play Troy every year. Next closest SBC East is Georgia State and both of the Louisiana schools are closer to USA than Georgia State. Next closest SBC East is Georgia Southern and Arkansas State is closer than GaSo. The longest SBC West trip is shorter than the longest SBC East trip.

Coastal 671
App 628
Ga So 461
Ga St 328
Troy 167

UL Lafayette 255
ULM 308
AState 435
TXST 631

I guess when you look at the actual mileage I guess it makes sense. I was under the impression that the Georgia schools would be closer to USA than the Louisiana ones.
05-23-2017 05:35 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern

Tougher division? 01-wingedeagle

The rest of the west ULM, ULL, Ark St and Texas St are great schools but they will be no harder to beat than Georgia St, Georgia So, Troy or App St. I'll give you Coastal for now since they have yet to play a down of FBS football.
05-23-2017 06:09 PM
Advertisement

MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
What that division sucks

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
05-23-2017 06:26 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(05-23-2017 05:35 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(05-23-2017 05:16 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Coastal 671
App 628
Ga So 461
Ga St 328
Troy 167

UL Lafayette 255
ULM 308
AState 435
TXST 631

I guess when you look at the actual mileage I guess it makes sense. I was under the impression that the Georgia schools would be closer to USA than the Louisiana ones.

It seems counterintuitive looking at the map.
Mobile is actually closer LSU than Bama or Auburn.
05-23-2017 07:42 PM
lance99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron Zips
(05-23-2017 04:30 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Then you have the issue that the only way to do divisions was to split one of the leagues biggest rivalries into separate divisions, meaning a cross over rival that you play every year must be guaranteed.

I suggest they check with the MAC. Ball State and Bowling Green does it every year and that Locked Crossover sucks......
05-24-2017 01:17 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-24-2017 01:17 AM)lance99 Wrote:  
(05-23-2017 04:30 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Then you have the issue that the only way to do divisions was to split one of the leagues biggest rivalries into separate divisions, meaning a cross over rival that you play every year must be guaranteed.

I suggest they check with the MAC. Ball State and Bowling Green does it every year and that Locked Crossover sucks......
Different issue with a ten team conference and an eight game conference schedule ... you only skip one school per year, so rotating that through four schools versus rotating that through five schools is not a big difference.

With a twelve team conference and an eight game conference schedule, no locked game cross conference is a substantial upgrade, since it lets you play each school in the other division twice over a four year cycle. With the MAC system, Eastern teams like Kent see Toledo much less often and Western schools see Bowling Green much less often.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2017 06:09 AM by BruceMcF.)
05-24-2017 06:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.