05-19-2017 09:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Swofford - ACCN will Close the TV Revenue Gap Significantly with SEC and BIG
The good news:
During the fiscal year that ended in 2015, the ACC reported more than $403 million in revenue, an increase of 33.3 percent from the previous year and an increase of more than 80 percent over three years.

The bad news:
And yet the conference generated more than $100 million less than the SEC, and nearly $50 million less than the Big Ten during the 2014-15 fiscal year. The gap between those leagues and the ACC is likely to only widen before the launch of the ACC Network in 2019.

The silver lining:
Once the channel does launch, though, ACC Commissioner John Swofford expects that it will significantly close the revenue gap between the ACC and its rival conferences. Swofford expressed his confidence on Thursday at the conclusion of the ACC’s annual spring meetings.
05-19-2017 02:01 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Swofford - ACCN will Close the TV Revenue Gap Significantly with SEC and BIG
To be fair, it would be bigger news if he had said "we are hosed" (not that I think that is the case).

Fortunately, there are some mitigating factors in the meantime...

1. For 2017, the ACC gets Orange Bowl money but the Sugar and Rose bowls are semi-finals. True, unless Notre Dame is it, either the SEC or B1G will get OB money, but at least one of them won't... And if it's the B1G, the ACC gets Citrus bowl money.

2. All ACC teams get the $3 million "no network" money. That is for 2018 also.

BOTTOM LINE: 2017 should be fine, though there will be a significant shortfall in 18.
05-19-2017 04:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
RE: Swofford - ACCN will Close the TV Revenue Gap Significantly with SEC and BIG
(05-19-2017 04:03 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  To be fair, it would be bigger news if he had said "we are hosed" (not that I think that is the case).

1. For 2017, the ACC gets Orange Bowl money but the Sugar and Rose bowls are semi-finals. True, unless Notre Dame is it, either the SEC or B1G will get OB money, but at least one of them won't... And if it's the B1G, the ACC gets Citrus bowl money.

BOTTOM LINE: 2017 should be fine, though there will be a significant shortfall in 18.

The sooner the OB is renegotiated, the better we'll be. That deal was/is an unmitigated disaster. I'm sure there was a backstory to it, but I haven't heard it.
05-19-2017 11:30 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(05-19-2017 11:30 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(05-19-2017 04:03 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  To be fair, it would be bigger news if he had said "we are hosed" (not that I think that is the case).

The sooner the OB is renegotiated, the better we'll be. That deal was/is an unmitigated disaster. I'm sure there was a backstory to it, but I haven't heard it.

The backstory was the SEC got in bed with the Big12 and screwed over the ACC (not that I blamed them). The ACC was at a Nadir of football prestige (the Big East was considered a peer football league at the time). Thankfully FSU and Clemson have turned things around for the league to give a jolt of energy to everyone. The ACC needs Miami to regain their status. Throw in a revitalized Hokies and continued strength from Ville, and sprinkle in runs by Cuse, Pitt, GTech, UNC, and State and the ACC will join the group as the Big Three.
05-20-2017 08:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
(05-20-2017 08:40 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

The backstory was the SEC got in bed with the Big12 and screwed over the ACC (not that I blamed them). The ACC was at a Nadir of football prestige (the Big East was considered a peer football league at the time). Thankfully FSU and Clemson have turned things around for the league to give a jolt of energy to everyone. The ACC needs Miami to regain their status. Throw in a revitalized Hokies and continued strength from Ville, and sprinkle in runs by Cuse, Pitt, GTech, UNC, and State and the ACC will join the group as the Big Three.

When everything gets redone in about 2023/24/25, I see the B10 and SEC as 1A and 1B in total revenue, and the ACC and PAC as 2A and 2B. And the B12 is "Poof" (incl the LHN). The difference between 1 and 2 will be roughly $6-9m per year per team. At least 7 of the 10 B12 teams will have been absorbed into PAC/B10/ACC/SEC.

I envision the B10 and the PAC working more closely together on regular season and bowl games. I see the SEC and ACC working more closely together on regular season and bowl games.

The ACC will still be the leader in Basketball.

I am hopeful that the ACC will have become consistently viewed as #1/2 in FB.

All the Bowl deals will have been redone.

Notre Dame will have done whatever it wants, but probably staying FB Independent.

Texas's view of itself will not have changed much, so it will do what it wants to do since it is the unbridled Longhorn in the corral.

BYU will still be unique.

Cincinnati, Houston and Connecticut (and UCF/USF) will still not have been allowed to join the club yet.

The now-P4 will have become MUCH more professional. The NCAA and P4 will have reached new understandings which further separate them from everyone else.

P4 game attendance will be down a little more and media viewership up a little more.
05-20-2017 09:47 AM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I think it's more complicated than that. Why didn't the ACC open the OB to the PAC and Bog XII? Why did the conference split the $55 million equally when the B1G/SEC's alternative was to play in a bowl that pays ~$10 million? Something else was going on.
05-20-2017 01:35 PM
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(05-20-2017 01:35 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

I think it's more complicated than that. Why didn't the ACC open the OB to the PAC and Bog XII? Why did the conference split the $55 million equally when the B1G/SEC's alternative was to play in a bowl that pays ~$10 million? Something else was going on.

Although I'm more of an SEC fan, I'll try to answer your question, which is a very good question to bring up. I think the reasons why the ACC didn't open up the Orange Bowl to the PAC 12 & the Big 12 were twofold: 1.) the PAC 12 wasn't interested in doing anything with the ACC. 2.) the ACC was feeling very bitter towards the Big 12 for making an agreement with the SEC & for trying to lure FSU & Clemson into the conference. The PAC 12 has been weird for years because for the longest they would only play Big Ten schools, until the SEC started beating the crap out of Big Ten schools on a regular basis and when 'Bama dismantled USC & Washington. That got the Pac12's attention.
05-20-2017 03:27 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(05-20-2017 03:27 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(05-20-2017 01:35 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Although I'm more of an SEC fan, I'll try to answer your question, which is a very good question to bring up. I think the reasons why the ACC didn't open up the Orange Bowl to the PAC 12 & the Big 12 were twofold: 1.) the PAC 12 wasn't interested in doing anything with the ACC. 2.) the ACC was feeling very bitter towards the Big 12 for making an agreement with the SEC & for trying to lure FSU & Clemson into the conference. The PAC 12 has been weird for years because for the longest they would only play Big Ten schools, until the SEC started beating the crap out of Big Ten schools on a regular basis and when 'Bama dismantled USC & Washington. That got the Pac12's attention.

I don't see any conference turning down a $10-27.5 million payout for its 2ns best non-FF team.
05-20-2017 07:00 PM
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
You'd be surprised at what schools & conferences can do sometimes. I know I've been surprised.
05-20-2017 09:43 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
The Big 12 and PAC-12 were not happy being left out of the Orange Bowl. The ACC was odd man out though compared to rest and wanted to maximize Orange Bowl value. That meant Big Ten, SEC, and Notre Dame as, on average (emphasis on average), they brought more viewers and fans.

As for why split with Big Ten and SEC, it basically probably comes down to this. If the SEC and Big Ten were splitting the revenue for the Rose and Sugar they were not willing to let the ACC have almost the entire payout for the Orange (even though it was less, they felt their teams contributed as much). Big Ten was not in as strong a position so had to throw in Citrus Bowl. The ACC felt the SEC was very necessary at the time so they felt like they had to split. This part is all guess work, but makes sense to me.
05-21-2017 12:19 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(05-21-2017 12:19 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  The Big 12 and PAC-12 were not happy being left out of the Orange Bowl. The ACC was odd man out though compared to rest and wanted to maximize Orange Bowl value. That meant Big Ten, SEC, and Notre Dame as, on average (emphasis on average), they brought more viewers and fans.

As for why split with Big Ten and SEC, it basically probably comes down to this. If the SEC and Big Ten were splitting the revenue for the Rose and Sugar they were not willing to let the ACC have almost the entire payout for the Orange (even though it was less, they felt their teams contributed as much). Big Ten was not in as strong a position so had to throw in Citrus Bowl. The ACC felt the SEC was very necessary at the time so they felt like they had to split. This part is all guess work, but makes sense to me.

This post can't be true. Opening the OB to all possible available schools would be better or equal to only opening it up to any subset of that group.
05-21-2017 03:25 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think the ACC will do it's best to get the Sugar verse the SEC from B12. Sadly, those want be renegotiated til around 2025
05-21-2017 08:57 PM
ohio1317 Offline

(05-21-2017 03:25 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(05-21-2017 12:19 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  The Big 12 and PAC-12 were not happy being left out of the Orange Bowl. The ACC was odd man out though compared to rest and wanted to maximize Orange Bowl value. That meant Big Ten, SEC, and Notre Dame as, on average (emphasis on average), they brought more viewers and fans.

This post can't be true. Opening the OB to all possible available schools would be better or equal to only opening it up to any subset of that group.

The PAC-12 and Big 12 talled about creating a 7th major bowl where they played the highest ranked team from a Group of 5 conference (they instead put that in with the 6) as they felt they were getting one less spot and less money more often.

Whomever the Orange Bowl took it was treating as an equal partner in the new setup. The ACC and Orange Bowl did not want to have to automatically take a PAC-12 or Big 12 team if they were highest ranked available over SEC, Big Ten, or Notre Dame. I guarentee you the Big 12 and PAC-12 wanted in on it.
05-22-2017 07:29 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(05-22-2017 07:29 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  
(05-21-2017 03:25 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

The PAC-12 and Big 12 talled about creating a 7th major bowl where they played the highest ranked team from a Group of 5 conference (they instead put that in with the 6) as they felt they were getting one less spot and less money more often.

Whomever the Orange Bowl took it was treating as an equal partner in the new setup. The ACC and Orange Bowl did not want to have to automatically take a PAC-12 or Big 12 team if they were highest ranked available over SEC, Big Ten, or Notre Dame. I guarentee you the Big 12 and PAC-12 wanted in on it.

That's not true. They made up the rules. The ACC/OB could have easily built a system where they picked any school that they wanted. There's no requirement to treat anybody equally. Look at the arrangement now. ND gets special treatment, 2 conferences are left out, and the ACC gets an occasional tie-in w/ a B1G bowl.
05-22-2017 12:20 PM
GTTiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GT and Clemson

ACC football was pretty much a disaster the entirety of the 10 previous years before the OB contract was negotiated.

Swofford was definitely not working in a position of leverage.

What I don't understand is why do you evenly split with the 2nd or 3rd choice from the Big 10 and SEC as others asked? It would have still been lucrative for those conference if the split was 35 Million to the ACC and 20 Million to the others.

AS it is now, it's 27.5 Million 27.5 Million.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 03:07 PM by GTTiger.)
05-22-2017 03:04 PM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

(05-22-2017 03:04 PM)GTTiger Wrote:  

ACC football was pretty much a disaster the entirety of the 10 previous years before the OB contract was negotiated.

What I don't understand is why do you evenly split with the 2nd or 3rd choice from the Big 10 and SEC as others asked? It would have still been lucrative for those conference if the split was 35 Million to the ACC and 20 Million to the others.

Ironically, the Orange Bowl has done slightly better than the Sugar Bowl so far as a non-playoff bowl. There was no good reason for ESPN to pay the Sugar the same money as the Rose.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 03:25 PM by orangefan.)
05-22-2017 03:23 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-22-2017 03:23 PM)orangefan Wrote:  

Ironically, the Orange Bowl has done slightly better than the Sugar Bowl so far as a non-playoff bowl. There was no good reason for ESPN to pay the Sugar the same money as the Rose.

...or to pay the Orange Bowl less than the Sugar.
05-22-2017 03:33 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

(05-22-2017 03:33 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(05-22-2017 03:23 PM)orangefan Wrote:  

...or to pay the Orange Bowl less than the Sugar.

True, but the Rose really does deliver better ratings than either. As others have noted, the better solution would have been to pay the ACC $40 million of the $55 million that ESPN was willing to pay the OB. $15 million is way more for the participating SEC or B1G school than the Access Bowl payout of, IIRC, $4 million.
05-22-2017 03:39 PM
ohio1317 Offline

Look at the teams who are there though. They have the SEC who was top of the world when this was negotiated, they have Big Ten which has a good folowing and gives up the highly lucrative Citrus Bowl when in it, and they have arguably the most powerful team brand in Notre Dame. Each of these three want in the Orange Bowl rather than the at large NY6 bowls as the Orange pays significantly more. The PAC-12 and Big 12 were not happy being left out of this. I am pretty sure there were articles at the time. Will look and see if I can find one.

Edit: they could have made special rules with each conference. I discounted that more than I should have. That said, there is clearly a desire to both get top brands and show they are not being partial to anyone which is why they take the top ranked at large as long as it works in the contact and it is not a rematch. Easiest way to avoid to an embarrassing situation where they passed over a Big 12 or PAC-12 team was simply not to have them in the contract (which they probably viewed as more likely to happen or would have included them). Based on the time period, I am not even completely confident even the Big Ten would have been included if not for the Citrus.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 04:11 PM by ohio1317.)
05-22-2017 04:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.