Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If it takes 7 to break the Big 12
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
If it takes 7 and if politics are at play AND if ESPN wants to just get this over with then I'm going to throw this out there...

SEC takes Texas, Texas Tech, TCU Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State

ACC takes Notre Dame, Cincinnati, West Virginia, and UConn

Here's my thinking...

1. Texas gets their division with all their rivals.

2. No political interference from KS politicians

3. The ACC stays in the Eastern Time Zone

Thoughts?

Alternative scenarios?
05-13-2017 03:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: If it takes 7 to break the Big 12
(05-13-2017 03:27 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  If it takes 7 and if politics are at play AND if ESPN wants to just get this over with then I'm going to throw this out there...

Here's my thinking...

Thoughts?

Alternative scenarios?

If we are going to take enough to dissolve them then why not these 6:
Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, and Iowa State
05-13-2017 05:39 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(05-13-2017 05:39 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-13-2017 03:27 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  If it takes 7 and if politics are at play AND if ESPN wants to just get this over with then I'm going to throw this out there...

Here's my thinking...

Thoughts?

Alternative scenarios?

I'd be fine with that. Wondering if KS would interfere though on behalf of KSU.
05-13-2017 06:05 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-13-2017 06:05 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

Here's my thinking...

Thoughts?

Alternative scenarios?

I don't think they have the same problem. Everyone knows that without Snyder KState has bee the worst product in college football history.
05-13-2017 06:11 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(05-13-2017 06:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Here's my thinking...

Thoughts?

Alternative scenarios?

I don't think they have the same problem. Everyone knows that without Snyder KState has bee the worst product in college football history.

Hopefully KS doesn't have that issue. Everything works easier without KSU. I'd take the 6 you mentioned.

My concern on the OU, OSU, KU, and ISU combo is that I'm not sure there's enough value if we're not taking Texas. If we are getting Texas then I don't mind moving that far up into the Midwest, but it also means we'd have to go to 20.

Personally, I think it's easier to go to 20 so we can get both Texas and Oklahoma while the ACC doesn't have to take programs that don't fit them.

The question for me is if we go to 20 then do others feel the need to match our numbers?
05-13-2017 06:27 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-13-2017 06:27 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(05-13-2017 06:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Here's my thinking...

Thoughts?

Alternative scenarios?

Hopefully KS doesn't have that issue. Everything works easier without KSU. I'd take the 6 you mentioned.

My concern on the OU, OSU, KU, and ISU combo is that I'm not sure there's enough value if we're not taking Texas. If we are getting Texas then I don't mind moving that far up into the Midwest, but it also means we'd have to go to 20.

Personally, I think it's easier to go to 20 so we can get both Texas and Oklahoma while the ACC doesn't have to take programs that don't fit them.

The question for me is if we go to 20 then do others feel the need to match our numbers?

You know if the SEC moves to 20 the ACC can as well and we both go to 20 and nobody is left in the Big 12.

Texas, T.C.U., Baylor, Kansas State, Notre Dame and Cincinnati to the ACC = 20
Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas, Iowa State, West Virginia to the SEC= 20

ACC:
Baylor, Kansas State, Miami, Texas, T.C.U.
Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, N.C. State, Wake Forest
Boston College, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse
Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech

SEC:
Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
Arkansas, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Texas Tech
Alabama, Auburn, Louisiana State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, West Virginia

Now there is no danged GOR problem whatsoever and no reason you can't do it now.
05-13-2017 07:00 PM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Seriously people?

We aren't taking worthless programs like Texas Tech or Pariahs like Baylor

We're not taking Iowa State

The teams from the B12 the SEC would realistically take are UT, OU, KU with TCU and WVU possible under certain circumstances. Nobody else from the B12 is getting an invite under any circumstances.

That's why these "divvy 'Em up" scenarios are unrealistic. Nobody is going to to take the redundant teams that make the B12 the least desireable of the major conferences just to risk the few desireables going to a rival conference
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2017 08:22 PM by 10thMountain.)
05-13-2017 08:19 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(05-13-2017 08:19 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Seriously people?

The teams from the B12 the SEC would realistically take are UT, OU, KU with TCU and WVU possible under certain circumstances. Nobody else from the B12 is getting an invite under any circumstances.

That's why these "divvy 'Em up" scenarios are unrealistic. Nobody is going to to take the redundant teams that make the B12 the least desireable of the major conferences just to risk the few desireables going to a rival conference

Well, what the heck do you expect us to talk about for the next 7 years? lol
05-13-2017 10:14 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

Alright, who pissed in the Aggies cornflakes? It's the silly season 10th! If you want to get deadly serious we can do that and extrapolate it out to the nitty gritty and boil it down to two. But you don't like those either. If it's just numbers it's Texas and Oklahoma. Markets don't mean doodlum squat now bubba. It's content! And the more content can earn you the safer you are for converting to streaming. And since the ACC is not on the menu that leaves two additions that add to all of our metrics, or at least match the ones they don't add to, Texas and Oklahoma. But that would make for a damned boring set of threads for people who enjoy speculating and debating and little bit of razzing with the ACC visitors.

Kansas doesn't meet all the metrics but would be a helluva basketball addition. Unfortunately they would be a drain on football revenue, and hardly a cultural fit.

That's it! That's the hardball analysis. If we want to add to our bottom line the best we can do are those two and the worst we can afford to do is one of them and a tag-along that holds their own. Maybe Kansas gets in as a #2 with Oklahoma. More likely, due to the nature of OU's situation, it's going to be OSU which nobody loves but may be the reality.

Well now that took all of what a couple of paragraphs? The board is a pass time where people come to escape the reality of a crappy world and an asinine political reality on both side of the aisle. That makes it another version of fantasy football and it draws discussion, gets hits, and sells advertising to the site.

Part of a mods duties are keeping things going in the off season, which is right now. So chill out, laugh with us, post with us, and interject reality lightly from time to time. That's collegiality. It can be stress relieving until some clown who thinks he knows it all, and disdains the fellowship, enters with condescension to whiz on everyone else. Get over it. If the mission here was reality we wouldn't have a board! Hooah!
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2017 11:10 PM by JRsec.)
05-13-2017 10:25 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
If their is some type of conspiracy to break up the Big 12. Then the first thing to happen will be expelling Baylor. This would make it easier to dissolve the conference in the future. It also makes solid financial sense. Baylor wouldn't receive it's share of the media contract. So the rest of the Big 12 could either split it entirely or they could add a program like New Mexico for around 6-8 million per season for the remainder of the current contract. New Mexico would be a non-voting member for the remainder of the current contract. Every other member would still see a huge bump in conference payout, and the Big 12 would be seen as adding a new media markets.
05-13-2017 11:20 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-13-2017 11:20 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  If their is some type of conspiracy to break up the Big 12. Then the first thing to happen will be expelling Baylor. This would make it easier to dissolve the conference in the future. It also makes solid financial sense. Baylor wouldn't receive it's share of the media contract. So the rest of the Big 12 could either split it entirely or they could add a program like New Mexico for around 6-8 million per season for the remainder of the current contract. New Mexico would be a non-voting member for the remainder of the current contract. Every other member would still see a huge bump in conference payout, and the Big 12 would be seen as adding a new media markets.

I agree. Baylor is the weak link in this chain and the domino that when toppled sets everything else up. The FEDS may even do it for them helping the rest to save face. But there is no need to add New Mexico in theory they can play a full conference slate as long as they don't drop below 8.
05-13-2017 11:39 PM
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

(05-13-2017 11:39 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-13-2017 11:20 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  If their is some type of conspiracy to break up the Big 12. Then the first thing to happen will be expelling Baylor. This would make it easier to dissolve the conference in the future. It also makes solid financial sense. Baylor wouldn't receive it's share of the media contract. So the rest of the Big 12 could either split it entirely or they could add a program like New Mexico for around 6-8 million per season for the remainder of the current contract. New Mexico would be a non-voting member for the remainder of the current contract. Every other member would still see a huge bump in conference payout, and the Big 12 would be seen as adding a new media markets.

I agree. Baylor is the weak link in this chain and the domino that when toppled sets everything else up. The FEDS may even do it for them helping the rest to save face. But there is no need to add New Mexico in theory they can play a full conference slate as long as they don't drop below 8.

I'd like to start by saying that I do not fully understand nor do I have direct knowledge of the Big 12's media contract. But it would seem to me, that they would have to have a certain amount of inventory to get full value of that contract. That's the purpose of adding a non-voting New Mexico as a member. Plus it would also seem that there would be some type of good faith clause in the GoR. So no one would want to be seen as to much of a obstruction.
05-13-2017 11:58 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-13-2017 11:58 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

I'd like to start by saying that I do not fully understand nor do I have direct knowledge of the Big 12's media contract. But it would seem to me, that they would have to have a certain amount of inventory to get full value of that contract. That's the purpose of adding a non-voting New Mexico as a member. Plus it would also seem that there would be some type of good faith clause in the GoR. So no one would want to be seen as to much of a obstruction.

It would depend upon FOX/ESPN as to whether New Mexico would be needed, or even acceptable as a substitute for Baylor. Truly as a temporary non voting member Houston might work as well. But the logic is sound. Whatever happens if Baylor is nullified will be a step toward the exit.
05-14-2017 12:13 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
(05-14-2017 12:13 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

It would depend upon FOX/ESPN as to whether New Mexico would be needed, or even acceptable as a substitute for Baylor. Truly as a temporary non voting member Houston might work as well. But the logic is sound. Whatever happens if Baylor is nullified will be a step toward the exit.

Isn't the B12 tv contract structured around 12 teams but the networks agreed to let them get by with 10 & that's why they were in a rush to expand when they brought in TCU & WV? If Baylor is booted then wouldn't they have to rush to add another or be in violation of their tv contract?
05-14-2017 10:55 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
(05-13-2017 10:25 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Alright, who pissed in the Aggies cornflakes? It's the silly season 10th! If you want to get deadly serious we can do that and extrapolate it out to the nitty gritty and boil it down to two. But you don't like those either. If it's just numbers it's Texas and Oklahoma. Markets don't mean doodlum squat now bubba. It's content! And the more content can earn you the safer you are for converting to streaming. And since the ACC is not on the menu that leaves two additions that add to all of our metrics, or at least match the ones they don't add to, Texas and Oklahoma. But that would make for a damned boring set of threads for people who enjoy speculating and debating and little bit of razzing with the ACC visitors.

Kansas doesn't meet all the metrics but would be a helluva basketball addition. Unfortunately they would be a drain on football revenue, and hardly a cultural fit.

That's it! That's the hardball analysis. If we want to add to our bottom line the best we can do are those two and the worst we can afford to do is one of them and a tag-along that holds their own. Maybe Kansas gets in as a #2 with Oklahoma. More likely, due to the nature of OU's situation, it's going to be OSU which nobody loves but may be the reality.

Well now that took all of what a couple of paragraphs? The board is a pass time where people come to escape the reality of a crappy world and an asinine political reality on both side of the aisle. That makes it another version of fantasy football and it draws discussion, gets hits, and sells advertising to the site.

Part of a mods duties are keeping things going in the off season, which is right now. So chill out, laugh with us, post with us, and interject reality lightly from time to time. That's collegiality. It can be stress relieving until some clown who thinks he knows it all, and disdains the fellowship, enters with condescension to whiz on everyone else. Get over it. If the mission here was reality we wouldn't have a board! Hooah!

Seriously, it will go like this:

Oklahoma, Texas, ND, Kansas, Houston & Cincinnati will go to the ACC & Oklahoma State, TCU, Iowa State, TT, WV & Kansas State will go to the SEC. ;-P
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2017 11:07 PM by Lenvillecards.)
05-14-2017 11:07 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-14-2017 10:55 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  
(05-14-2017 12:13 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Isn't the B12 tv contract structured around 12 teams but the networks agreed to let them get by with 10 & that's why they were in a rush to expand when they brought in TCU & WV? If Baylor is booted then wouldn't they have to rush to add another or be in violation of their tv contract?

The TV contract was voided at less than 10, unless the networks stipulated otherwise. But yes the original contract was at 12. I'm not sure my memory is correct on this but I think when the GOR was signed the contract was renegotiated. But Baylor going to 9 might still indeed void the contract. So your point is a good one. I know that the NCAA sets the minimum for a conference at 8. If you fall below that number you have two years to get back to it before you are defunct as a conference. That's why I think if they lost 7 or 8 schools they would be defunct anyway. The other schools out there would not flock to join Baylor and Kansas State. They would know that it would be just like the Big East and would likely stay put.
05-15-2017 09:01 AM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Comment from Swaim last night...

GREG SWAIM SHOW‏ @GSwaim 17h17 hours ago

For what it's worth, #Sooners athletic official told OU booster at baseball game today, "we go #SEC as soon as they package in #OKState."
05-15-2017 09:18 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-15-2017 09:18 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Comment from Swaim last night...

For what it's worth, #Sooners athletic official told OU booster at baseball game today, "we go #SEC as soon as they package in #OKState."

I think this is what all of the stuff has been about. Finebaum works for ESPN now. OU wanted in with the SEC in 2010-1 but we had to take OSU to get them. All of the Big 10 stuff has just been talk to get us to believe that we could lose them if we didn't take OSU.

I don't know if Texas is likely, but if OU and OSU head to the SEC then where else can they go and please their alums and donors? It's not that their alums and donors favor the SEC but they do want their old rivals back.

If Texas will do that and leave Tech out of it then we stand at least a better than average chance of landing Texas and Kansas to go with the two Oklahomas. While not perfect that's pretty danged good.
05-15-2017 10:01 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(05-15-2017 10:01 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-15-2017 09:18 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Comment from Swaim last night...

I think this is what all of the stuff has been about. Finebaum works for ESPN now. OU wanted in with the SEC in 2010-1 but we had to take OSU to get them. All of the Big 10 stuff has just been talk to get us to believe that we could lose them if we didn't take OSU.

I don't know if Texas is likely, but if OU and OSU head to the SEC then where else can they go and please their alums and donors? It's not that their alums and donors favor the SEC but they do want their old rivals back.

If Texas will do that and leave Tech out of it then we stand at least a better than average chance of landing Texas and Kansas to go with the two Oklahomas. While not perfect that's pretty danged good.

Frick it.

Let em both in

05-stirthepot
05-15-2017 10:37 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

There aren't any people in New Mexico. Adding them would not help viewership numbers ($$$$$). If it were me I would look to Tulane to try to win some of the market back from the SEC in the Houston to New Orleans corridor.
05-15-2017 11:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.