Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Holiday still negotating for broadcasters
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Holiday still negotating for broadcasters
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spor...story.html

I did not realize the contract was up with ESPN. One thing I love to see is Fox or CBS pick this up. I would love to see bowl the bowls spread out on other networks and compete against each other. The weekday Pre and Post Christmas afternoon games, I would love to be later in the day or night.

Then again, this may be part of by gone era.
05-11-2017 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
RE: Holiday still negotating for broadcasters
(05-11-2017 01:57 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spor...story.html

I did not realize the contract was up with ESPN. One thing I love to see is Fox or CBS pick this up. I would love to see bowl the bowls spread out on other networks and compete against each other. The weekday Pre and Post Christmas afternoon games, I would love to be later in the day or night.

CBS needs some more bowl games, not sure why they would not pick this one up as well and put on a Saturday 3:30 time slot
05-11-2017 01:58 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I agree CBS needs more, but since FOX has PAC 12 and B10, seems like a better fit for them.
05-11-2017 02:01 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
A Saturday, December 30, 2017 game date seems to be a great date for this perfect weather game. Having the game start 4 PM California time gives the game a 8 PM eastern start.

San Diego, like Las Vegas, San Antonio, New Orleans, Orlando, etc... is a destination city. Getting those midwesterners to a warm area for a long weekend seems to fit the area well.
05-11-2017 02:05 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
(05-11-2017 02:05 PM)chess Wrote:  A Saturday, December 30, 2017 game date seems to be a great date for this perfect weather game. Having the game start 4 PM California time gives the game a 8 PM eastern start.

San Diego, like Las Vegas, San Antonio, New Orleans, Orlando, etc... is a destination city. Getting those midwesterners to a warm area for a long weekend seems to fit the area well.

Try 7pm eastern start
05-11-2017 05:24 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Wow, here's an item from that newspaper article that is not a good sign for this game:

Quote:“We’re still talking with them,” Holiday Bowl executive director Mark Neville said. “They would like to continue the partnership. We may very well end up back at ESPN. We might not. We’re talking with several parties both on traditional and non-traditional (digital) outlets right now.

When you are running a bowl game, your ESPN contract has run out, and you have to publicly acknowledge the possibility that your game might be "broadcast" only on a "non-traditional" outlet like Twitter or Amazon Prime, then you are in a bad place.
05-11-2017 05:36 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(05-11-2017 05:36 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Wow, here's an item from that newspaper article that is not a good sign for this game:

Quote:“We’re still talking with them,” Holiday Bowl executive director Mark Neville said. “They would like to continue the partnership. We may very well end up back at ESPN. We might not. We’re talking with several parties both on traditional and non-traditional (digital) outlets right now.

When you are running a bowl game, your ESPN contract has run out, and you have to publicly acknowledge the possibility that your game might be "broadcast" only on a "non-traditional" outlet like Twitter or Amazon Prime, then you are in a bad place.

Wow! If it comes to that my guess: CBS-SN gets their 3rd bowl game. 4 if you count the Sun on CBS OTA. It's the PAC #3 vs Big 10 #4 right? Great get for them if it happens...
05-11-2017 06:16 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Sounds maybe like NBC or CBS may take a swipe. Maybe the revamped ASN/campus insiders/120 sports(now going to be known as Stadium) will offer the linear OTA broadcast or digital side....maybe even both.
05-11-2017 06:32 PM
nickp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ohio state
Holiday Bowl might be in the same situation that the Foster Farms Bowl was last year
05-11-2017 08:15 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(05-11-2017 06:32 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Sounds maybe like NBC or CBS may take a swipe. Maybe the revamped ASN/campus insiders/120 sports(now going to be known as Stadium) will offer the linear OTA broadcast or digital side....maybe even both.

Can you explain "linear OTA broadcast". Does that just mean CBS?
05-11-2017 08:40 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-11-2017 08:40 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 06:32 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Sounds maybe like NBC or CBS may take a swipe. Maybe the revamped ASN/campus insiders/120 sports(now going to be known as Stadium) will offer the linear OTA broadcast or digital side....maybe even both.

lol....yes.
05-11-2017 11:34 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW

Not just CBS, but the new entity called STADIUM broadcasting on the Sinclair stations and now with the merger with Tribune Media any TV stations they may own.
The Holiday Bowl may want an OTA broadcast and not on some cable sports network like CBSSN or FS1, NBCSN.
Stadium will be able to offer both digital and OTA.
I think the AZ bowl had some success with the ASN broadcast and because of the restructure with both ASN & Campus Insiders (who held the media rights of the bowl) they had no choice but to find another TV outlet.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the bowl this year because of being on CBS SN
05-12-2017 07:26 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-12-2017 07:26 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

Not just CBS, but the new entity called STADIUM broadcasting on the Sinclair stations and now with the merger with Tribune Media any TV stations they may own.
The Holiday Bowl may want an OTA broadcast and not on some cable sports network like CBSSN or FS1, NBCSN.
Stadium will be able to offer both digital and OTA.
I think the AZ bowl had some success with the ASN broadcast and because of the restructure with both ASN & Campus Insiders (who held the media rights of the bowl) they had no choice but to find another TV outlet.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the bowl this year because of being on CBS SN

The old ASN was a joke. It had some possibilities, but most of the affiliates were either not on cable or broadcast the ASN content on substations that were not carried on cable and had tiny followings. Worse yet--it failed to follow through with a robust streaming option.

STADIUM sounds like it will represent a better effort---but the effective execution of a plan will still determine STADIUM's fate. If they still have the affiliate portion of the network programming shoved over to the digital sub-networks and largely off cable---this version will fail as well to capitalize on the open space Raycom left open.
05-12-2017 09:53 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
"Linear OTA Broadcast" in this case would be syndication on primarily Sinclair-owned stations, since Sinclair is the parent of Stadium (nee ASN).
05-12-2017 09:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(05-11-2017 01:58 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 01:57 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spor...story.html

CBS needs some more bowl games, not sure why they would not pick this one up as well and put on a Saturday 3:30 time slot

Then if CBS rebuilds its bowl portfolio it could then form the basis for a "bowl series" for G5 champions.
05-12-2017 06:57 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-12-2017 06:57 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

Then if CBS rebuilds its bowl portfolio it could then form the basis for a "bowl series" for G5 champions.

Well--the ratings numbers are there to support a higher value bowl game for those G5 champs---but Ive seen nothing to indicate any network is interested in putting up the money to make it happen.
05-12-2017 07:03 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-12-2017 07:03 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Well--the ratings numbers are there to support a higher value bowl game for those G5 champs---but Ive seen nothing to indicate any network is interested in putting up the money to make it happen.

It's a question of leadership within the G5 to propose something.

The P5 I know wants to propose new games that will push existing ones further down the totem poll. Could the G5 try to do pry a few loose from the P5 where their future P5 arrangement is shaky?

Then approach the P5 with a deal for it's lower picks to help drive up games. It could be something like 6th-7th picks from the P5 vs. G5 champs and BYU with a slot in it. But be played in traditional bowls; Holiday, Sun, Liberty, Gator that have name value to them.

Put them on CBS Christmas week opposite ESPN programming.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 08:03 PM by Kittonhead.)
05-12-2017 08:00 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(05-12-2017 08:00 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 07:03 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

It's a question of leadership within the G5 to propose something.

The P5 I know wants to propose new games that will push existing ones further down the totem poll. Could the G5 try to do pry a few loose from the P5 where their future P5 arrangement is shaky?

Then approach the P5 with a deal for it's lower picks to help drive up games. It could be something like 6th-7th picks from the P5 vs. G5 champs and BYU with a slot in it. But be played in traditional bowls; Holiday, Sun, Liberty, Gator that have destination value to them.

Just a reminder: the CUSA champ played the MWC champ for several years in the Liberty Bowl. When Utah (MWC champ) made the Fiesta Bowl in 2005, the Liberty Bowl chose undefeated WAC champ Boise St to play Top 10 Louisville. The Bowl with this matchup was always a big success and had a good time, date (New Years Eve) It featured 2 ranked conference champions. It usually had great attendance of 60,000. It's been done before.
A bowl on New Years Eve, featuring two highly ranked teams with 60,000 in attendance? Must be a P5 vs P5 right? Wrong. CUSA vs MWC.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 08:14 PM by billybobby777.)
05-12-2017 08:06 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

A new twist on my concept, make these games permanent ties.

Holiday (MWC Champ vs. PAC #5)
Sun (CUSA Champ vs. B12 #4)
Liberty (SBC Champ vs. SEC #6)
Gator (AAC Champ vs. ACC #6)

A regional G5 champ for each bowl game vs. P5 upper half pick to ensure that if that P5 sends 3 schools to the CFP that the P5 side of the tie-in would have enough eligible teams to send.

The MAC as the conference that doesn't travel would either put its champ into a CFP bowl OR replace one of the G5 tie-ins (Gator or Holiday most years).

Put some higher payouts to these (2-3 million) from a TV contract and prime time slots to make them attractive.

From a viewing perspective, you replace a half interested P5 fan base of one school with super interested G5 conference fans since this would be the marquee bowl for the conference.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 10:13 PM by Kittonhead.)
05-12-2017 10:12 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(05-12-2017 10:12 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  A new twist on my concept, make these games permanent ties.

Holiday (MWC Champ vs. PAC #5)
Sun (CUSA Champ vs. B12 #4)
Liberty (SBC Champ vs. SEC #6)
Gator (AAC Champ vs. ACC #6)

A regional G5 champ for each bowl game vs. P5 upper half pick to ensure that if that P5 sends 3 schools to the CFP that the P5 side of the tie-in would have enough eligible teams to send.

The MAC as the conference that doesn't travel would either put its champ into a CFP bowl OR replace one of the G5 tie-ins (Gator or Holiday most years).

Put some higher payouts to these (2-3 million) from a TV contract and prime time slots to make them attractive.

From a viewing perspective, you replace a half interested P5 fan base of one school with super interested G5 conference fans since this would be the marquee bowl for the conference.

Can't see the Gator Bowl ever signing the AAC. The Gator has history trying to lose the Old Big East contract because of poor attendance in the BE days. It would be shocking to see them reverse course and agree to take on the AAC, which was the football playing remnant of the Old BE, now.
05-13-2017 05:53 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.