Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Just A Little Bit of Information for All of the ESPN Doomsayers:
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-757...llion.html

I know this is going to put a crimp in the style of some of you who have deep schadenfreude for the Mouse. But a little dose of truth and reality is a danged good thing!

It seems that ESPN (just the main channel) took in 7.57 billion in subscribers fees last year. FOX's FS1 took in only 1.16 billion. It was much worse for FS2 by comparison to ESPN2. But the article will fill you in on the gory details.

Oh, and by the way, did you know the SECN lost 78 million dollars in value from 2015-2016 which was only 1.66% of its total worth. But...the Big 10 Network lost 448 million in value from 2015-2016 and that represented 39.2% of it's total worth.

The PAC Networks 2016 value was 305 million or .305 billion.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/...=hootsuite
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 03:40 PM by JRsec.)
05-08-2017 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Just A Little Bit of Information for All of the ESPN Doomsayers:
....hip hip hooray?
05-08-2017 03:33 PM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
Ok, and what do they owe annually for all of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ES...properties
05-08-2017 03:45 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(05-08-2017 03:45 PM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  Ok, and what do they owe annually for all of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ES...properties

What ESPN pays out annually is also in the article. The reason for the recent wave of layoffs is that the percent of expense grew from 54% two years ago to 63% (or so -- typing these figures from memory having just read the link). But even with the increased expense, that is still bringing in tons of revenue.

To me, the news in this linked tidbit is that the streaming services that have ESPN are paying the same subscriber fees cable/dish are, or more. And this revenue ISN'T included in the figures in the article. So ... ESPN is positioned very well to continue being the dominant sports network going forward.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 04:08 PM by Pervis_Griffith.)
05-08-2017 04:07 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-08-2017 03:45 PM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  Ok, and what do they owe annually for all of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ES...properties

5.6 billion for 2017 is what they will pay out. Last time I checked that is approximately (on the short side a smidgen) a 2 billion dollar profit. It's in the linked article in a sub link.
05-08-2017 04:10 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(05-08-2017 04:07 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  

What ESPN pays out annually is also in the article. The reason for the recent wave of layoffs is that the percent of expense grew from 54% two years ago to 63% (or so -- typing these figures from memory having just read the link). But even with the increased expense, that is still bringing in tons of revenue.

It's 63% in sports rights fees paid out vs. subscriber fees coming in. Not 63% in total expenses.

Then again, ESPN makes a ton of dough from sources other than subscriptions (like advertising).
05-08-2017 04:15 PM
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
Although, FS1 is positioned to close the gap, at least during college football season, with the other half of the top B1G, PAC, and B12 inventory.
05-08-2017 04:16 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-08-2017 04:16 PM)YNot Wrote:  Although, FS1 is positioned to close the gap, at least during college football season, with the other half of the top B1G, PAC, and B12 inventory.

Not really. ESPN gets every other choice of game in the Big 12 and PAC and they still bought some access to a few top Big 10 games. They only lose 1 SEC per week to CBS and the rest is theirs. They own 100% of the ACC and that includes Clemson and Florida State of course.

So they have over 93% of the top conference in the nation for football, 100% of the top conference in the nation for basketball. Half of the PAC and Big 12 product and a better than 30% slice of the Big 10.

FOX simply can't close that gap without going for full rights to the PAC and Big 10 in the future and then they will hold similar but slightly weaker products when it comes to valuations.

In other words, they ain't catching up anytime soon!
05-08-2017 04:47 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(05-08-2017 03:08 PM)JRsec Wrote:  http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-757...llion.html

I know this is going to put a crimp in the style of some of you who have deep schadenfreude for the Mouse. But a little dose of truth and reality is a danged good thing!

It seems that ESPN (just the main channel) took in 7.57 billion in subscribers fees last year. FOX's FS1 took in only 1.16 billion. It was much worse for FS2 by comparison to ESPN2. But the article will fill you in on the gory details.

Oh, and by the way, did you know the SECN lost 78 million dollars in value from 2015-2016 which was only 1.66% of its total worth. But...the Big 10 Network lost 448 million in value from 2015-2016 and that represented 39.2% of it's total worth.

So then they have no excuse not to triple, nay quadruple, the AAC payout when the contract comes up for renewal.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 05:09 PM by DefCONNOne.)
05-08-2017 05:08 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-08-2017 05:08 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  
(05-08-2017 03:08 PM)JRsec Wrote:  http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-757...llion.html

So then they have no excuse not to triple, nay quadruple, the AAC payout when the contract comes up for renewal.
The AAC is under payed.
05-08-2017 05:18 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(05-08-2017 04:47 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-08-2017 04:16 PM)YNot Wrote:  Although, FS1 is positioned to close the gap, at least during college football season, with the other half of the top B1G, PAC, and B12 inventory.

Not really. ESPN gets every other choice of game in the Big 12 and PAC and they still bought some access to a few top Big 10 games. They only lose 1 SEC per week to CBS and the rest is theirs. They own 100% of the ACC and that includes Clemson and Florida State of course.

So they have over 93% of the top conference in the nation for football, 100% of the top conference in the nation for basketball. Half of the PAC and Big 12 product and a better than 30% slice of the Big 10.

FOX simply can't close that gap without going for full rights to the PAC and Big 10 in the future and then they will hold similar but slightly weaker products when it comes to valuations.

Will you still be an ESPN supporter when/if fox gets a cut of the next SEC tv package? Will you defend fox then, the way you defend espn now? I ask as I've watched ACC and AAC fans become die hard espn fans suddenly as if they believe espn success = success for the school--or in your case conference--they root for.
05-08-2017 05:25 PM
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU

Perhaps "close the gap" is the wrong phrase. They aren't catching up to or surpassing ESPN by any stretch. And, ESPN will still have plenty of quality inventory to justify their high subscriber fees.

But, won't FS1 be able to increase subscriber fees with weekly top-tier B1G games added to the inventory? If so, that would certainly get FS1 fees closer to ESPN rates compared to where they are now.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 05:45 PM by YNot.)
05-08-2017 05:44 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
Hmmm
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 05:50 PM by JHS55.)
05-08-2017 05:47 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
Without the NFL or NBA it's going to be hard for FS1 to pass ESPN. FS1 can be the solid #2 sports network though.
05-08-2017 07:59 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-08-2017 05:25 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Will you still be an ESPN supporter when/if fox gets a cut of the next SEC tv package? Will you defend fox then, the way you defend espn now? I ask as I've watched ACC and AAC fans become die hard espn fans suddenly as if they believe espn success = success for the school--or in your case conference--they root for.

It's not supporting the network to call B.S. B.S! It's not supporting the network to point out that Clay Travis is fuller of crap than a Christmas Goose and has never been right about anything. Va Tech and N.C. State to the SEC.....wrong. ESPN is heading to oblivion....wrong. The market model is the way of the future.....wrong. All he has done is to be the mouthpiece for whoever was writing his check.

I'm retired. Nobody is writing my check. So saying something is so when you have the data to back it up is not cheer leading, but it is a blatant and intentional affront to the hooey that was knee deep around here.

But should FOX ever acquire a piece of SEC rights I will report their numbers based on the same data whichever way they go.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 08:30 PM by JRsec.)
05-08-2017 08:16 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

The SECN has been amazing for Disney/ESPN, less so for the actual SEC. The terms, which give ESPN more than 50% of the profits, are a legacy of the epoch-defining disaster of a TV deal that Slive signed with ESPN in 2008.

That lousy deal will continue to haunt the SEC for the next 20 years.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 08:17 PM by quo vadis.)
05-08-2017 08:16 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-08-2017 08:16 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

The SECN has been amazing for Disney/ESPN, less so for the actual SEC. The terms, which give ESPN more than 50% of the profits, are a legacy of the epoch-defining disaster of a TV deal that Slive signed with ESPN in 2008.

That lousy deal will continue to haunt the SEC for the next 20 years.

It may not have been the deal it should have been, or could have been, but we aren't hurting and it may yet have a silver lining. The overhead the SEC and now the ACC put (are putting) into their production upgrades are their property. If anything ever happens they are ready to stream. The SEC lost some revenue last year due to a loss of subscribers (mostly seasonal, some cutting, and some obtaining new delivery systems for mobile devices) but that 49.9% ownership the Big 10 has in their network sustained a big thump when the valuation of that network plunged 448 million or 39.2%.

So as we move forward we will see who actually is better positioned to withstand market changes in delivery models and who is the most insulated from those damages.
05-08-2017 08:28 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU

How do they own 100% of the ACC? Don't they still show ACC games locally ota?

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
05-08-2017 08:50 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(05-08-2017 07:59 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  Without the NFL or NBA it's going to be hard for FS1 to pass ESPN. FS1 can be the solid #2 sports network though.
they don't need to pass ESPN. stop plenty of $ to be made at #2.

05-08-2017 08:51 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(05-08-2017 08:50 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  

How do they own 100% of the ACC? Don't they still show ACC games locally ota?

The same way that ESPN owns 100% of the AAC even though some games are on another network (CBS-SN) They sub license the games they don't want for a fee. ESPN gets the money, not the conference.
05-08-2017 08:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.