Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would IUPUI, IPFW, ANS SIU-E to the Horizon make sense?
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Would IUPUI, IPFW, ANS SIU-E to the Horizon make sense?
If Valpo leaves the Horizon would IUPUI, IPFW, and SIU-E to The Horizon be a move all parties involved would be interested in?

IUPUI and SIU-E bring in a presence in the Indianapolis and St Louis markets to add to their collection of Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and Milwaukee giving them solid coverage over the Midwest (they also would have the minor markets of Youngstown, Dayton, Ft Wayne, and Green Bay). I think this helps sure up the value of their Friday night tv contract with ESPN.

While having 12 members does decrease the share of tournament units per school I think this can be offset by their tv revenue and decreased travel expenses brought about by divisional play. For the most part it's a bus league and the trips that would need to be achieved through flights would be cross divisional affairs that wouldn't occur every year.

Meanwhile in the Summit, the Dakota 4 and friends are relieved of the eastern wing they've been trying to get away from and can replace them with schools that better fit with their geography and mission.
05-07-2017 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
RE: Would IUPUI, IPFW, ANS SIU-E to the Horizon make sense?
Sounds good what about WIU?

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
05-07-2017 02:08 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(05-07-2017 02:08 PM)MJG Wrote:  Sounds good what about WIU?

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app

WIU could go a couple of ways--they join the OVC, taking SIU-E's spot or they are stuck sticking around in the Summit.
05-07-2017 02:13 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Makes no sense. none of these programs are close to the level of the top 5 in the Horizon. The league needs schools that gets them "in the conversation" (LeCrone's words) for an at-large bid. They are looking for a higher RPI school. Since they are at an even number without Valpo in all Sports, except Basketball, they would be looking to add 2 (11 Basketball, 8 or 10 in other sports) for a 20 game Basketball schedule and even numbers in everything else. But the most important thing is improving RPI.

So for criteria look for schools with MBB budgets higher than $2m, and RPI 125 or better, average attendance above 2,700. Preferably in a major city no more than 3 hours flight time.

None of these schools mentioned meet any of the above criteria, except being within existing footprint. They would lower the quality of play and spread revenue even thinner.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 02:30 PM by Stugray2.)
05-07-2017 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline

(05-07-2017 02:28 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Makes no sense. none of these programs are close to the level of the top 5 in the Horizon. The league needs schools that gets them "in the conversation" (LeCrone's words) for an at-large bid. They are looking for a higher RPI school. Since they are at an even number without Valpo in all Sports, except Basketball, they would be looking to add 2 (11 Basketball, 8 or 10 in other sports) for a 20 game Basketball schedule and even numbers in everything else. But the most important thing is improving RPI.

So for criteria look for schools with MBB budgets higher than $2m, and RPI 125 or better, average attendance above 2,700. Preferably in a major city no more than 3 hours flight time.

None of these schools mentioned meet any of the above criteria, except being within existing footprint. They would lower the quality of play and spread revenue even thinner.

I'd argue that a change in league affiliation would help these programs out. Money spent on flights to Denver and the Dakotas could instead be invested into the program. Horizon league affiliation makes them more attractive to recruits and playing regional foes generates more local interest, fan support, and alumni donations
05-07-2017 02:38 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
There is no school the Horizon can get who fits that criteria, imo. Robert Morris might - but only sponsoring 3 HL Men's sports - I don't see the ball ever rolling there. Morehead stays put with financial issues + $750k exit fee.

IUPUI/Fort Wayne are natural fits. Also makes sense for SIUE to move to a hoops-first, Midwestern, directional-laden league. WIU won't risk upsetting MVFC apple cart for Horizon, and frankly SIUE is a far better candidate for Horizon anyway.

East
Oakland
Detroit Mercy
Cleveland State
Youngstown State
Wright State
Northern Kentucky

West
Fort Wayne
IUPUI
SIUE
UIC
UWM
UWGB

NKU/Wright St might vote no to this alignment, but I see the other 7 voting yes.

Summit takes back UMKC, and possibly Northern Colorado.
05-07-2017 02:47 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
As with the Summit, the Horizon is running out of quality schools to backfill. The Horizon can take a DII, as it's not in danger of losing its autobid. Grand Valley St would give the Horizon a quality school with high potential. But they need to fb conference too.

Whats being overlooked is that IPFW and IUPUI will see up swings in attendance with a change in conferences as their fans can relate to potential league rivals.
05-07-2017 05:46 PM
Advertisement

Section 200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC & XU
Maybe they could just add IUPUI and call it a day. Then if someone else leaves, add IPFW
05-07-2017 06:33 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(05-07-2017 06:33 PM)Section 200 Wrote:  Maybe they could just add IUPUI and call it a day. Then if someone else leaves, add IPFW

Probably the simplest solution and likely what happens. Taking IPFW and SIU-E would be thinking outside of the box.
05-07-2017 06:44 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Is SIUe happy in the OVC? They're in a spot where unless if they land the MVC, they'll be on the geographic edge of a conference regardless.
05-07-2017 06:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline

(05-07-2017 06:48 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Is SIUe happy in the OVC? They're in a spot where unless if they land the MVC, they'll be on the geographic edge of a conference regardless.

I have no idea how they feel about the OVC. I'm guessing they were just happy to get a DI home and haven't really had the luxury of thinking about other conferences. You're right; aside from the MVC they aren't ever going to be at the geographic center of any league but would you rather be on the geographic edge of a southern small town football league or a Midwestern big city basketball league with an ESPN contract? I think the latter fits their profile better.
05-07-2017 06:55 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(05-07-2017 06:48 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Is SIUe happy in the OVC? They're in a spot where unless if they land the MVC, they'll be on the geographic edge of a conference regardless.

Imagine they aspire to a better league, but they don't have an upgrade arena for BB coming which is needed for the MVC. Men's soccer should be a primary focus too. The Summit had offered them when they moved up, but they chose the OVC as it is a bus league.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 08:10 PM by NoDak.)
05-07-2017 07:14 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Horizon loses Valpo, Horizon would have nobody in Indaina
might want to take them both [IUPU'S] , leting 1 strugle not helping anybody
05-07-2017 07:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.