Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

One Year in(almost)-Biggest step up in competition
Bookmark and Share
Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CCU
One Year in(almost)-Biggest step up in competition
With CCU wrapping up our first year in the Sun Belt I was thinking which sport was the biggest step up in competition.

Football will obviously be near the top but we didn't play this year so no point discussing

Softball is at the top of my list in the Big South we were a top 2-3 every year
this year in what was a decent year for us historically we finished 8th barely making the tournament

the other major steps would be mens golf, baseball, and the tennis's
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 08:54 AM by Tealblood.)
05-07-2017 08:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

RE: One Year in(almost)-Biggest step up in competition
overall the one thing that has impressed me the most is that nobody is mailing it in-not in any sport

not everybody is good at all sports but nobody just puts a team on the field to stay eligible to be in Div.I

we don't get get to take the weekend off and play the Presbyterians or Gardner Webbs or fricking Longwoods of the world in any sport outside of football or basketball- the only ones they care about
05-07-2017 08:58 AM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
(05-07-2017 08:58 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  overall the one thing that has impressed me the most is that nobody is mailing it in-not in any sport

not everybody is good at all sports but nobody just puts a team on the field to stay eligible to be in Div.I

we don't get get to take the weekend off and play the Presbyterians or Gardner Webbs or fricking Longwoods of the world in any sport outside of football or basketball- the only ones they care about

Women's tennis aside, you just described ULM.
05-07-2017 10:47 AM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
(05-07-2017 10:47 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 08:58 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  overall the one thing that has impressed me the most is that nobody is mailing it in-not in any sport

Says the guy from a school that doesn't sponsor football and hasn't been to a bowl game. Kick rocks dude. We had a down year in men's basketball after back to back seasons being in the post-season. Our softball is greatly improved as well. We will be bringing in a new baseball coach, so that once solid program will rebound. We will be fine, but if you feel you must throw your jabs do so, we will settle it on the football field...oh wait, we can't.
05-07-2017 11:37 AM
Heisman

You want to go there...

Since UTA joined the conference.
UTA SBC championships - 10 (2013/14 - men's cross country, indoor track & outdoor track, 2014/15 - women's cross country & men's outdoor track, 2015/16 - men's cross country & men's tennis, 2016/17 - men's cross country, men's basketball & men's indoor track)

ULM - 1 (2016/17 - women's tennis)

ULM Sun Belt conference championships since 2001 (football) and 2006 (all-sports).
2005 Football (5-6 record)
2008 Baseball regular season
2012 Baseball tournament
2017 Women's tennis

But if you look at last place finishes, ULM has had four just in this academic year alone. Four more than UTA has had in all sports since joining the SBC.

Oh and despite not playing a down since November 1985, UTA still has more bowl wins in program history than ULM.
05-07-2017 03:15 PM
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(05-07-2017 11:37 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  

Says the guy from a school that doesn't sponsor football and hasn't been to a bowl game. Kick rocks dude. We had a down year in men's basketball after back to back seasons being in the post-season. Our softball is greatly improved as well. We will be bringing in a new baseball coach, so that once solid program will rebound. We will be fine, but if you feel you must throw your jabs do so, we will settle it on the football field...oh wait, we can't.

whoa nellie..we been to bowl games..albeit several generations ago..google it up.
05-07-2017 03:34 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU

A start up UTA probably would still beat ULM most years. Arguing about a sport y'all have been historically terrible in is a bad look.
05-07-2017 04:37 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I'd be willing to do a 1 and done with most of you. You could be our opener. I would assume this would be a huge game on anybody's schedule here.
05-07-2017 04:39 PM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
(05-07-2017 04:39 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I'd be willing to do a 1 and done with most of you. You could be our opener. I would assume this would be a huge game on anybody's schedule here.

04-drinky
05-07-2017 04:40 PM
Advertisement

USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
(05-07-2017 04:37 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

A start up UTA probably would still beat ULM most years. Arguing about a sport y'all have been historically terrible in is a bad look.

04-drinky
05-07-2017 04:42 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(05-07-2017 04:40 PM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 04:39 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I'd be willing to do a 1 and done with most of you. You could be our opener. I would assume this would be a huge game on anybody's schedule here.

04-drinky

I was in Mobile....you guys have a great campus.
05-07-2017 04:43 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte

Lol...You are funny.
05-07-2017 06:32 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(05-07-2017 03:15 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  You want to go there...

Since UTA joined the conference.
UTA SBC championships - 10 (2013/14 - men's cross country, indoor track & outdoor track, 2014/15 - women's cross country & men's outdoor track, 2015/16 - men's cross country & men's tennis, 2016/17 - men's cross country, men's basketball & men's indoor track)

ULM - 1 (2016/17 - women's tennis)

ULM Sun Belt conference championships since 2001 (football) and 2006 (all-sports).
2005 Football (5-6 record)
2008 Baseball regular season
2012 Baseball tournament
2017 Women's tennis

But if you look at last place finishes, ULM has had four just in this academic year alone. Four more than UTA has had in all sports since joining the SBC.

Oh and despite not playing a down since November 1985, UTA still has more bowl wins in program history than ULM.

To be fair to ULM... you guys won the Pecan Bowl in Div 1AA. That's not what I'd call an actual bowl.

ULM has been to a FBS bowl game, won a Div 1AA national title in football, has the highest ranked upset win over an opponent in SBC football (#8 Arkansas), and still has a football team that hasn't been disbanded.

Nothing against UTA...
05-07-2017 06:47 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

Actually, that bowl win was in the College Division, the equivalent of DII. It was also against NDSU, who was undefeated and ranked number two at the time.

However, I'd say it also isn't an accurate comparison. There were only a handful of bowls back in the day and several teams would have made a I-A bowl if the conditions existed then as now. The 1979 team was 9-2 and lost to undefeated McNeese 14-13. The 1981 team won the SLC, the first year the SLC champ didn't go to a bowl.
05-07-2017 07:32 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
The conference is strong for men's golf. 2 at-large selections seems pretty strong. Both of our golf teams should be better.
05-07-2017 07:43 PM
Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

Damn was trying to start a conversation about the increase in competition in the sports not football and you guys turn it into a **** show of smack
05-07-2017 07:44 PM
Heisman

To help you out, I would say softball is the largest step up in competition. Yall were already the class of the Big South. You come here and your still in the top quarter to third. You won 32 games in softball and finished 8th.
05-07-2017 07:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.