Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Total Valuations of the Conference Networks Released by SNL Kagan
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
The Total Valuations of the Conference Networks Released by SNL Kagan
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/...=hootsuite

The SEC Network was valued at 4.692 billion. That's down 78 million from 2015's 4.77 billion which represents a loss of 1.7% (rounded up). The loss was due to a drop in subscriptions. However the total does not include subscriptions on alternate delivery models that the network now utilizes.

The Big 10 Network was valued at 1.142 billion. That's down 448 million from 2015 when it was valued at 1.59 billion. That's a drop of 39.2% in valuation.

The PACN was valued at 305 million or .305 billion. No corresponding number was given for 2015's valuation.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 10:34 AM by JRsec.)
05-06-2017 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
RE: The Total Valuations of the Conference Networks Released by SNL Kagan
Thanks for sharing.

Number that matters, at the end of the day, is how much money each conference distributes to each of its member schools.
05-06-2017 10:35 AM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
I guess the conference networks will have the same problem as ESPN, etc. with people continuing to cut the cord.
05-06-2017 10:52 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

Depends how many people are willing to give up cable TV channel content for Netflix/OTA content vs. how many people just want to reduce the amount they pay each month for cable TV channel content.

The latter will just switch to Sling type services, which still pay the same per customer fees to the programmers (ESPN, etc.)
05-06-2017 10:58 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(05-06-2017 10:52 AM)Big Frog II Wrote:  I guess the conference networks will have the same problem as ESPN, etc. with people continuing to cut the cord.
It is still not free through streaming. I am sure PlayStation Vue, Sling, and the others are paying the SECN, ESPN to carry these networks. Streaming is cheaper, and there are a few sites where I can get ESPN, etc. for free, but they are still a bit unpredictable.
05-06-2017 11:12 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-06-2017 10:35 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Thanks for sharing.

Number that matters, at the end of the day, is how much money each conference distributes to each of its member schools.

Last year that was 40.1 million per school for the SEC. I think the Big 10 numbers for last year were around 35.7 million per school, but that's from memory. So check it. Our payday for 2016-7 won't be released until Fall.
05-06-2017 11:16 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-06-2017 11:12 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 10:52 AM)Big Frog II Wrote:  I guess the conference networks will have the same problem as ESPN, etc. with people continuing to cut the cord.
It is still not free through streaming. I am sure PlayStation Vue, Sling, and the others are paying the SECN, ESPN to carry these networks. Streaming is cheaper, and there are a few sites where I can get ESPN, etc. for free, but they are still a bit unpredictable.

ESPN gets the same fee through streaming as they do for the cable subscription. The streaming though isn't counted as a cable subscription therefore the huge #'s in lost subscribers that is being sensationalized.
05-06-2017 11:18 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(05-06-2017 11:16 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Last year that was 40.1 million per school for the SEC. I think the Big 10 numbers for last year were around 35.7 million per school, but that's from memory. So check it. Our payday for 2016-7 won't be released until Fall.

If the aim of this post, and the OP, was to be an SEC vs Big Ten thing ... then you win!

I am more than ready to admit that the SEC is a more valuable football product to its fans than the Big Ten is to their's, and won't be surprised in the slightest to see the SEC distributing more money to Mississippi St than the Big Ten does to Minnesota.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 11:25 AM by MplsBison.)
05-06-2017 11:24 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-06-2017 11:24 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 11:16 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Last year that was 40.1 million per school for the SEC. I think the Big 10 numbers for last year were around 35.7 million per school, but that's from memory. So check it. Our payday for 2016-7 won't be released until Fall.

If the aim of this post, and the OP, was to be an SEC vs Big Ten thing ... then you win!

I am more than ready to admit that the SEC is a more valuable football product to its fans than the Big Ten is to their's, and won't be surprised in the slightest to see the SEC distributing more money to Mississippi St than the Big Ten does to Minnesota.

No Bison, the point of the post was information only. I thought perhaps your comment about revenue distributed was an attempt to turn it in that direction. So we are both guilty of harboring suspicions. I thought in the midst of all of the cord cutting hooey that it would be a decent conversation piece to reel reality back into the discussion.

When the SEC loses 78 million against last year's numbers that sounds astronomical until you realize it only represents a decline of 1.66 or 1.7%. When you get folks around here to realize that streaming services (which do pay the same fees to ESPN as you duly noted) are not counted as subscriptions it changes the narrative further.

What I get sick and tired of around here, and you have never been guilty of this, is histrionics. Real risk and paradigm shifts are seldom acknowledged if it doesn't suit the narrative of a poster with an agenda, and minutia is amplified if it provides ammunition for the cause. It's the same reason I hated the election. Whether on the left or right, the issues were never the focus, never! It's the same with this board. If this board is as reflective of the nation as I fear it might be, then we are not in trouble, we are hosed already! And to emphasize that point, our board is one of the saner ones out there! Now, that's frightening!
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 11:46 AM by JRsec.)
05-06-2017 11:44 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I'm not sure where they get the value figures, real question is profits of the networks. The sec doesn't own their network while the big 10 is what 50/50 with fox and option to buy all someday.
05-06-2017 11:53 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-06-2017 11:53 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I'm not sure where they get the value figures, real question is profits of the networks. The sec doesn't own their network while the big 10 is what 50/50 with fox and option to buy all someday.

The SEC supposedly splits profits 50/50. They opted not to buy a portion of the network. The Big 10 owns 49.9% of their network and FOX has 50.1%, so yeah, 50/50. But with the owning comes annual overhead and the risk that your total value will decline.

Both the SEC and Big 10 have already gotten their campus sites production ready so if some catastrophe should befall the industry both are ready to stream their own product and if it ever came to that point they will both own the responsibility for it totally.
05-06-2017 12:02 PM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
SEC is king
05-06-2017 12:08 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The big 10 and sec don't really have much to worry about. Ideally, those 2 would be trying to set up a system where they are all that is left standing. The problem is they are both eyeing some of the same valuable properties who look to be in weaker positions. A good end game would be for the sec to jump to 24 and big 10 to 40 and eliminate the other conferences. I'd put 10 acc schools into the sec, than let the big 10 clean up the rest of the country into 4 ten team divisions. Each league would have a 2 game playoff with its winners meeting for a title game. Dupilicity is cleaned up and regional rivals are stabilized.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 12:13 PM by bluesox.)
05-06-2017 12:11 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-06-2017 12:11 PM)bluesox Wrote:  The big 10 and sec don't really have much to worry about. Ideally, those 2 would be trying to set up a system where they are all that is left standing. The problem is they are both eyeing some of the same valuable properties who look to be in weaker positions. A good end game would be for the sec to jump to 24 and big 10 to 40 and eliminate the other conferences. I'd put 10 acc schools into the sec, than let the big 10 clean up the rest of the country into 4 ten team divisions. Each league would have a 2 game playoff with its winners meeting for a title game.

A better plan would be for the Big 10 to buy back their BTN and sell 50% of it to the SEC and form an intricate scheduling alliance. The money they would make together would then attract only the brands they desired in their venture. So Smith meets Wesson and they blow everyone else away, figuratively of course!
05-06-2017 12:14 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
So Fox or Espn can buy half of the Pac 12 network for $150M, help with distribution and promotion, and turn it into $1B vsluation. Triple their money.
05-06-2017 12:29 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think if you have too small a number of schools in a final "super conference" you kill the golden goose that attracts people to college sports. You also need the right balance to have an ecosystem for winners and losers. 60-70 schools left viable for football works fine with basketball remaining as is.
05-06-2017 12:31 PM
Advertisement

miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(05-06-2017 12:14 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 12:11 PM)bluesox Wrote:  The big 10 and sec don't really have much to worry about. Ideally, those 2 would be trying to set up a system where they are all that is left standing. The problem is they are both eyeing some of the same valuable properties who look to be in weaker positions. A good end game would be for the sec to jump to 24 and big 10 to 40 and eliminate the other conferences. I'd put 10 acc schools into the sec, than let the big 10 clean up the rest of the country into 4 ten team divisions. Each league would have a 2 game playoff with its winners meeting for a title game.

A better plan would be for the Big 10 to buy back their BTN and sell 50% of it to the SEC and form an intricate scheduling alliance. The money they would make together would then attract only the brands they desired in their venture. So Smith meets Wesson and they blow everyone else away, figuratively of course!

Even better than that, you consolidate the P5 conferences into one along with the existing networks, kick out roughly 40% - 70% of the current schools in the P5 into a lower level and then create your new top tier level college football subdivision. Divide up into 8 groups of 4 schools and then set up a rotating schedule amongst the 8. Each school plays everyone every year in their division - twice for 6 games. Then 8 additional games are divided among the rest of the divisions - 2 each from 4 divisions. That makes a 14 game schedule. The top team from each division go to an 8 team playoff and then the last 2 play for the championship. The subdivision is called the "American Collegiate Football League (ACFL). Then 16 teams each are put into 2 separate conferences - a national conference and then an american conference. Then you have 4 divisions in each conference: north, south, east and west.

Here would be my hypothetical setup.

ACFC (American College Football Conference)

ACFC North
Michigan
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Michigan State

ACFC South
Tennessee
Clemson
Louisiana State
Texas A&M

ACFC East
Penn State
Notre Dame
Florida State
Virginia Tech

ACFC West
Washington
Oregon
Stanford
Cal Berkely

NCFC North
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Iowa
Kansas

NCFC South
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida

NCFC East
North Carolina
Rutgers
Georgia
Texas

NCFC West
Southern Cal
UCLA
Arizona
Colorado

You do this along with setting up a recruit draft where the poorest performing schools get to draft first and the best draft last so as to set up a highly competitive environment, and you have some league wide revenue sharing system to also ensure access to the best coaches and facilities...this would make more money than any other possible set up you could think of in the existing system for the current top subdivision in college football. By far.
05-06-2017 01:22 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(05-06-2017 12:29 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  So Fox or Espn can buy half of the Pac 12 network for $150M, help with distribution and promotion, and turn it into $1B vsluation. Triple their money.

I don't think that the Pac is the natural owner of their network.
05-06-2017 01:37 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(05-06-2017 01:22 PM)miko33 Wrote:  ACFC (American College Football Conference)

ACFC North
Michigan
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Michigan State

ACFC South
Tennessee
Clemson
Louisiana State
Texas A&M

ACFC East
Penn State
Notre Dame
Florida State
Virginia Tech

ACFC West
Washington
Oregon
Stanford
Cal Berkely

NCFC North
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Iowa
Kansas

NCFC South
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida

NCFC East
North Carolina
Rutgers
Georgia
Texas

NCFC West
Southern Cal
UCLA
Arizona
Colorado

You do this along with setting up a recruit draft where the poorest performing schools get to draft first and the best draft last so as to set up a highly competitive environment, and you have some league wide revenue sharing system to also ensure access to the best coaches and facilities...this would make more money than any other possible set up you could think of in the existing system for the current top subdivision in college football. By far.

The idea is just fine. I especially love the part about replicating the NFL Draft with the high school/JUCO/etc draft, and introducing parity, instead of the reverse parity we have now where the best schools get the best players.

But it's simply DOA unless you go 64. We're sitting at 65 now with Notre Dame included, so one school gets the axe. They can live with that. Or you could go eight divisions of nine ... which gives eight "division" games. That bumps it up to 72 and you can squeeze in a few more that might well be deserving like Houston, USF, Cincy, UConn, Boise, BYU, CO St, etc.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 02:01 PM by MplsBison.)
05-06-2017 01:59 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(05-06-2017 12:14 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

05-06-2017 02:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.