Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WKU #12, UNLV #25 in ESPN top 25 recruiting class rankings
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
MyBB WKU #12, UNLV #25 in ESPN top 25 recruiting class rankings
ESPN rates the 2017 basketball recruiting rankings by team. Out of their top 40 there are only 3 programs not from P5 or Big East schools:

#12-WKU (CUSA)

#25-UNLV (MWC)

#32-St Louis (A10)

Way to go WKU...and it looks like UNLV might be back, finally.
05-04-2017 10:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
RE: WKU #12, UNLV #25 in ESPN top 25 recruiting class rankings
Saint Louis could be significant. If that program starts to get back to Rick Majerus level of competitiveness to go with it's attendance and budget metrics, the Big East might give them a serious look in a few years.

MWC is so down, they need a program, any program, to get in gear.
05-04-2017 02:16 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(05-04-2017 02:16 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Saint Louis could be significant. If that program starts to get back to Rick Majerus level of competitiveness to go with it's attendance and budget metrics, the Big East might give them a serious look in a few years.

Saint Louis is one of the most underrated programs in the country. Fabulous support and attendance every single year good or bad. I was a little surprised when the Big East passed on them as I thought they'd be used as the bridge from the Eastern 5 and Depaul and Marquette.
05-04-2017 06:25 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-04-2017 02:16 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Saint Louis could be significant. If that program starts to get back to Rick Majerus level of competitiveness to go with it's attendance and budget metrics, the Big East might give them a serious look in a few years.

In the past, a five-star 7-footer could be the anchor that attracted multiple good recruiting classes. Now, unfortunately for the Rebels, there's a good chance theirs could be a one-and-done and the 2 and 3-star kids in his recruiting class will be left to carry the load. It's harder than ever for mid-majors to build sustained success that way.
05-04-2017 08:52 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(05-04-2017 08:52 PM)ken d Wrote:  

In the past, a five-star 7-footer could be the anchor that attracted multiple good recruiting classes. Now, unfortunately for the Rebels, there's a good chance theirs could be a one-and-done and the 2 and 3-star kids in his recruiting class will be left to carry the load. It's harder than ever for mid-majors to build sustained success that way.

Yep. Remember a few years ago when UNLV had one of the top recruiting classes in the country including a 1 and done #1 pick in the NBA draft? I don't think they were even top 4 or 5 in the MWC that year. They always seem to get the talent, but they are probably the most underachieving school in the country the past 20 plus years. It's mind boggling. It's as if they are losing on purpose. I don't get it. When I was a kid I loved watching Tark and the Runnin Rebels. Those were the days...college basketball just ain't what it used to be.
05-04-2017 10:34 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Lon Kruger was an excellent coach, but he never recruited flashy players. The coach after him, Dave Rice, got great recruits, but they never seemed to achieve next level performance.

Menzies is a proven recruiter and coach, so I see good things on the horizon for Vegas.
05-05-2017 11:40 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(05-04-2017 10:34 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Yep. Remember a few years ago when UNLV had one of the top recruiting classes in the country including a 1 and done #1 pick in the NBA draft? I don't think they were even top 4 or 5 in the MWC that year.

Anthony Bennett, #1 pick for the Cavs in 2013 and has to be one of the biggest NBA busts ever. Was playing in Turkey recently and just got cut earlier this week.
05-05-2017 12:19 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(05-05-2017 11:40 AM)esayem Wrote:  Lon Kruger was an excellent coach, but he never recruited flashy players. The coach after him, Dave Rice, got great recruits, but they never seemed to achieve next level performance.

Menzies is a proven recruiter and coach, so I see good things on the horizon for Vegas.

Was it Rice or Lon Kruger coaching UNLV that #1 ranked UNC lost to that year?
05-05-2017 12:19 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(05-05-2017 12:19 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 10:34 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Yep. Remember a few years ago when UNLV had one of the top recruiting classes in the country including a 1 and done #1 pick in the NBA draft? I don't think they were even top 4 or 5 in the MWC that year.

Anthony Bennett, #1 pick for the Cavs in 2013 and has to be one of the biggest NBA busts ever. Was playing in Turkey recently and just got cut earlier this week.

Yep that's the guy. I bet UNLV didn't even make the NCAA tournament that year. They also had that 7 foot UCONN transfer on that team and I think he had to come off the bench!--that's how loaded that UNLV team was.....
*my bad, UNLV did make the tournament in 2013, finished 3rd out of 9 in MWC. UNLV made NCAA's in 07, 08, 10, 11, 12, 13...
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 12:29 PM by billybobby777.)
05-05-2017 12:22 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(05-05-2017 12:19 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 11:40 AM)esayem Wrote:  Lon Kruger was an excellent coach, but he never recruited flashy players. The coach after him, Dave Rice, got great recruits, but they never seemed to achieve next level performance.

I think it was Rice with Kruger's guys. Could be wrong.
05-05-2017 03:01 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(05-05-2017 03:01 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 12:19 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

I think it was Rice with Kruger's guys. Could be wrong.

You are right, I went back and looked and Rice did a little better than I thought. But he was still underachieving if you look at the talent he had coming in....
05-05-2017 06:28 PM
LasVegasReb Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNLV
(05-04-2017 10:48 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  ESPN rates the 2017 basketball recruiting rankings by team. Out of their top 40 there are only 3 programs not from P5 or Big East schools:

#12-WKU (CUSA)

#25-UNLV (MWC)

#32-St Louis (A10)

ESPN doesn't even include star rating for Cheikh Mbacke Diong nor #1 rated JUCO (JUCO Player of the Year), Shakur Juiston. Cheikh was recruited hard by Pitino at Louisville as well as UConn, Pitt and others. Cheikh is a 4 star on 247 and should be ranked at least 3 if not 4 on ESPN. He's considered a steal recruit by many on different forums.

247 has UNLV as #12 recruiting class in nation. I believe this includes Juiston and 4 star rated Diong.

Dave Rice, head coach prior to Marvin Menzies was excellent recruiter but struggled to get team to produce. Rice coached teams underperformed partly due to lack of focus on recruiting position versus ranking, underwhelming X and O's, injuries, transfers and general personality conflicts. Never could turn the corner however his recruiting class prior to being fired would have likely changed this. Committed class included Justin Jackson (Maryland), Jaylen Fisher (TCU), Christian Vital (UConn), and Carlos Johnson (Washington) prior to Rice dismissal.

After Rice fired, UNLV went after Jamie Dixon and Mick Cronin. Corinne. Was close but pulled plugged to stay to be close to diaghter and likely get more $. UNLV then hired Chris Beard who basically came to Las Vegas told all the remaining players who were pissed at Rice firing to go f' themselves. Then Beard takes Texas Tech job (his dream job). UNLV was screwed with no commitments and only 2 remaining scholarship players. Release of commitments, transfers, declaring for draft and exhausting eligibility decimated UNLV's roster dooming the 2016 season for any future coach.

Marvin Menzies was hired on April 14 and Regents approved contract on April 21. Talk about having nothing left to recruit. Crazy enough he was able to sign two 4 stars, one 3 star and a convince existing player to not transfer and stick it out. He recruited 4 others (no stars) and JUCO transfer. Even with that class it was enough to produce on the court.

With a full year to recruit Menzies was able to put to a great class and hopefully one that can produce on the court.
05-07-2017 08:57 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(05-07-2017 08:57 PM)LasVegasReb Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 10:48 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  ESPN rates the 2017 basketball recruiting rankings by team. Out of their top 40 there are only 3 programs not from P5 or Big East schools:

#12-WKU (CUSA)

#25-UNLV (MWC)

#32-St Louis (A10)

ESPN doesn't even include star rating for Cheikh Mbacke Diong nor #1 rated JUCO (JUCO Player of the Year), Shakur Juiston. Cheikh was recruited hard by Pitino at Louisville as well as UConn, Pitt and others. Cheikh is a 4 star on 247 and should be ranked at least 3 if not 4 on ESPN. He's considered a steal recruit by many on different forums.

247 has UNLV as #12 recruiting class in nation. I believe this includes Juiston and 4 star rated Diong.

Dave Rice, head coach prior to Marvin Menzies was excellent recruiter but struggled to get team to produce. Rice coached teams underperformed partly due to lack of focus on recruiting position versus ranking, underwhelming X and O's, injuries, transfers and general personality conflicts. Never could turn the corner however his recruiting class prior to being fired would have likely changed this. Committed class included Justin Jackson (Maryland), Jaylen Fisher (TCU), Christian Vital (UConn), and Carlos Johnson (Washington) prior to Rice dismissal.

After Rice fired, UNLV went after Jamie Dixon and Mick Cronin. Corinne. Was close but pulled plugged to stay to be close to diaghter and likely get more $. UNLV then hired Chris Beard who basically came to Las Vegas told all the remaining players who were pissed at Rice firing to go f' themselves. Then Beard takes Texas Tech job (his dream job). UNLV was screwed with no commitments and only 2 remaining scholarship players. Release of commitments, transfers, declaring for draft and exhausting eligibility decimated UNLV's roster dooming the 2016 season for any future coach.

Marvin Menzies was hired on April 14 and Regents approved contract on April 21. Talk about having nothing left to recruit. Crazy enough he was able to sign two 4 stars, one 3 star and a convince existing player to not transfer and stick it out. He recruited 4 others (no stars) and JUCO transfer. Even with that class it was enough to produce on the court.

With a full year to recruit Menzies was able to put to a great class and hopefully one that can produce on the court.

"Even with that class it was enough to produce on the court".--No offense but didn't UNLV finish in last place in the MWC?
05-07-2017 10:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.