Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ohio State vs. TCU game
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
Ohio State vs. TCU game
This was a home and home originally but is now going to be a one off at Jerry World in 2018. The Buckeyes did ink a home and home with Washington for 2024 and 2025.
04-28-2017 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: Ohio State vs. TCU game
(04-28-2017 09:41 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  This was a home and home originally but is now going to be a one off at Jerry World in 2018. The Buckeyes did ink a home and home with Washington for 2024 and 2025.

And will pay $5 million to each team. Damn.
04-28-2017 10:16 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Someone in the TCU athletic department deserves a raise for converting a home/home series with Ohio State into a single game with a fat payday played a few miles from TCU's campus.
04-28-2017 10:55 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(04-28-2017 10:55 AM)Wedge Wrote:  Someone in the TCU athletic department deserves a raise for converting a home/home series with Ohio State into a single game with a fat payday played a few miles from TCU's campus.

"Del" is a pretty great AD
04-28-2017 12:47 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(04-28-2017 10:55 AM)Wedge Wrote:  Someone in the TCU athletic department deserves a raise for converting a home/home series with Ohio State into a single game with a fat payday played a few miles from TCU's campus.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/coll...59294.html

1) It was a coup for TCU to get a home-and-home with Ohio State in the first place, with a 45,000 seat stadium. The renovated stadium is very nice, but is still small. Ohio State won't go just anywhere. Location matters, and they want to keep recruiting Texas.

2) It was an even bigger coup to get $5 million per school for a regular season game, with no return trip for TCU to Columbus. Money talks.

Buckeye fans travel well, and more of them can get into Jerry World than into a TCU home game at Amon G. Carter Stadium. TCU can play a big-time opponent without having to get on a plane. Win-win.
04-28-2017 01:00 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I do not care for loosing a home and home for a neutral site game at all. Hope this is not a trend.
04-28-2017 01:15 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
neutral site games are totally a trend. And one that isn't going away any time soon now.
04-28-2017 01:16 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I know they arent and do not hate them in general, but Ohio State has been very resistant toward them up to this point.
04-28-2017 02:27 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Indeed!
04-28-2017 02:30 PM
Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
(04-28-2017 02:27 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  I know they arent and do not hate them in general, but Ohio State has been very resistant toward them up to this point.

I get what you're saying --- but view it as a 1-off version of the Kickoff Classic. There was a 14-year period (1986 to 1999) where OSU played in 3 of them.
04-28-2017 02:33 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

A downside is that TCU loses perhaps the biggest non-conference game ever played in their stadium. Nearby Jerry World and $5 million soften the blow, but it's a big deal to have a big-time program come to your campus. The on-campus environment and home field advantage are superior.

A similar situation occurred when TCU and LSU turned a home-and-home into a one-off Arlington game in 2013.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2017 03:14 PM by johnintx.)
04-28-2017 02:37 PM
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
I will miss playing OSU in Fort Worth, but Jerry's World is only 12 miles away. A number of TCU fans are upset, but I am fine with it. $5 million is nothing to sneeze at. We have played Oregon State, BYU and LSU there. It's like a bowl game atmosphere. I think it's a good deal.
04-28-2017 02:52 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
My how the times have changed.

In 2010 TCU and Cincinnati were thought of as similar programs in most respects. Similar size attendance, budget, recent performance, location. Cincinnati was a bigger school and in a tougher conference but TCU had a coach who was in it for the long haul.

Today TCU is effectively getting a home game with Ohio State with no return game. And Cincinnati is forced to whore itself out with buy games at Michigan, OSU, and Tennessee. (sure we've got future home games with UCLA and Nebraska, but that's not anywhere near the same thing)
04-28-2017 05:48 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(04-28-2017 02:37 PM)johnintx Wrote:  A downside is that TCU loses perhaps the biggest non-conference game ever played in their stadium. Nearby Jerry World and $5 million soften the blow, but it's a big deal to have a big-time program come to your campus. The on-campus environment and home field advantage are superior.

A similar situation occurred when TCU and LSU turned a home-and-home into a one-off Arlington game in 2013.

That's exactly what I was thinking. How great of an opportunity was it for the TCU community to have Ohio St come to Ft Worth and play on TCU's campus? 5 million is great but this neutral game does nothing for adding new fans, or promoting the campus. TCU had struggled in the past with the area fan base. 80's and 90's were horrific. Jerry World is certainly not the TCU community. Before someone protests what I'm saying, picture the Rice fan base growing with a game vs Michigan in the Texan's stadium instead of their own. You can't really put a price tag on the value of getting a blue blood to come play a game on your field. The local TCU community pride is being replaced with cheesy corporate Jerry World. I'm sure some TCU students will be estatic for a game at Jerry World! Not.
04-28-2017 06:18 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(04-28-2017 02:52 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  I will miss playing OSU in Fort Worth, but Jerry's World is only 12 miles away. A number of TCU fans are upset, but I am fine with it. $5 million is nothing to sneeze at. We have played Oregon State, BYU and LSU there. It's like a bowl game atmosphere. I think it's a good deal.

How much of the $5 million are the TCU fans traveling 12 miles to Jerry World receiving again?
04-28-2017 06:21 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
TCU's annual athletic budget, 2015-16, as reported to the government: $93,259,382. 4th-highest in the Big 12.

TCU athletics don't need to be "saved" by one big football home game. They are not lacking fans or generous donors.
04-28-2017 06:27 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
FWIW, Miami just announced that we'll play at OSU in 2019 as their replacement game. Will probably get over seven figures to play there, and our program is turning the corner enough that you can't say definitively that it'll be an ass-whoopin even if that's very possible.

Good move by TCU however, even if you have a big budget $5MM is nothing to sneeze at.
04-28-2017 06:55 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

(04-28-2017 05:48 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  My how the times have changed.

In 2010 TCU and Cincinnati were thought of as similar programs in most respects. Similar size attendance, budget, recent performance, location. Cincinnati was a bigger school and in a tougher conference but TCU had a coach who was in it for the long haul.

Today TCU is effectively getting a home game with Ohio State with no return game. And Cincinnati is forced to whore itself out with buy games at Michigan, OSU, and Tennessee. (sure we've got future home games with UCLA and Nebraska, but that's not anywhere near the same thing)

I lived in Fort Worth in the 90's and 2000's. I have several friends that went to TCU. I watched TCU get left out of the Big 12, and bounce from the SWC to the WAC to C-USA to the Mountain West to almost the Big East/American. I remember going to games against the likes of Rice and New Mexico that did well to draw 25,000. They hired a coach, Dennis Franchione, who brought a defensive coordinator, Gary Patterson, who knew what he was doing. Fran got the ball rolling, left for Bama, and TCU turned it over to Patterson, who was the real genius of the operation and kicked it up multiple notches. They built their program, winning titles in multiple leagues, and eventually won a Rose Bowl. Still, with as much as they had done on the field, and as much as they had built support for their program, it took the exit of A&M from the Big 12 and an apparently legendary night of drinking between ADs Chris Del Conte ("Del") and DeLoss Dodds (UT) to earn the Frogs a golden ticket to the Big 12.

Since then, the Frogs have made the most of their opportunity. I saw what they were, and what they are now. I have great respect for what they have done. It's a big deal when they can attract a quality non-conference opponent to their stadium (even if they sell the home/home to the Cowboys). It hasn't always been like that.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2017 07:46 PM by johnintx.)
04-28-2017 07:42 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
(04-28-2017 06:18 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(04-28-2017 02:37 PM)johnintx Wrote:  A downside is that TCU loses perhaps the biggest non-conference game ever played in their stadium. Nearby Jerry World and $5 million soften the blow, but it's a big deal to have a big-time program come to your campus. The on-campus environment and home field advantage are superior.

That's exactly what I was thinking. How great of an opportunity was it for the TCU community to have Ohio St come to Ft Worth and play on TCU's campus? 5 million is great but this neutral game does nothing for adding new fans, or promoting the campus. TCU had struggled in the past with the area fan base. 80's and 90's were horrific. Jerry World is certainly not the TCU community. Before someone protests what I'm saying, picture the Rice fan base growing with a game vs Michigan in the Texan's stadium instead of their own. You can't really put a price tag on the value of getting a blue blood to come play a game on your field. The local TCU community pride is being replaced with cheesy corporate Jerry World. I'm sure some TCU students will be estatic for a game at Jerry World! Not.

The students love game at Jerry's World. They sell beer in the stands. It is in Tarrant County. It is air conditioned. They have been there in droves for the other three games will have played there. Why would they not like it?
04-28-2017 09:41 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(04-28-2017 09:41 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  
(04-28-2017 06:18 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

The students love game at Jerry's World. They sell beer in the stands. It is in Tarrant County. It is air conditioned. They have been there in droves for the other three games will have played there. Why would they not like it?

Missed my point.
TCU is 5 years removed from the MWC, 13 years removed from CUSA and 16 years removed from the WAC. They were 21 years removed from relevance,during those dark years. They are quite literally 6 years away from being WAC/CUSA/MWC status again if two, count them, two schools leave their conference. (OU & UT) I remember the spring of 1994 and the SWC falling apart and TCU being left behind. Rice, Houston and SMU would give anything to get Ohio St on campus. TCU may only have 1 of these opportunities again before they are in the Rice, SMU and Houston "iced out" situation again.
Take the H&H while you can, TCU. Power status is fleeting, ecspecially if you are TCU and the 5th Banana in Texas. In 6 years when your conference mates are Houston, SMU, New Mexico, BYU and Colorado St again....they'll wish they had played Ohio St on their campus.
04-28-2017 11:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.