ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who is ODU's biggest FB rival?
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
Searched your threads and did not find the answer so here's a post. What team does ODU claim as their rivalry game?
04-20-2017 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Who is ODU's biggest FB rival?
As a true rivalry game? ODU doesn't really have one yet. Back when we were in FCS that game would easily be against JMU, but we haven't played JMU in years and it couldn't be a true rivalry since there would be no home and home scheduling. This also applies to Norfolk State ("The Crosstown Showdown") and William and Mary ("The Battle for the Silver Mace").

You could point to would be Empty Sue (MTSU) and the "Planters Bowl". But so far there's only been one game between MTSU and ODU, and that was years ago. That game is highly anticipated so far, but with one game on the record I don't think you can call it a rivalry.

Charlotte makes sense too. There are multiple games between us that have been competitive, they are our closest conference mate and are a new program like ours. But the hate isn't there, yet.

To answer your question, if we define a rivalry that the fans and players on both sides are excited to play, the closest would probably be JMU or WKU, but I don't think ODU has a "true" rival as of right now.
04-20-2017 08:39 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(04-20-2017 08:39 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  As a true rivalry game? ODU doesn't really have one yet. Back when we were in FCS that game would easily be against JMU, but we haven't played JMU in years and it couldn't be a true rivalry since there would be no home and home scheduling. This also applies to Norfolk State ("The Crosstown Showdown") and William and Mary ("The Battle for the Silver Mace").

You could point to would be Empty Sue (MTSU) and the "Planters Bowl". But so far there's only been one game between MTSU and ODU, and that was years ago. That game is highly anticipated so far, but with one game on the record I don't think you can call it a rivalry.

Charlotte makes sense too. There are multiple games between us that have been competitive, they are our closest conference mate and are a new program like ours. But the hate isn't there, yet.

To answer your question, if we define a rivalry that the fans and players on both sides are excited to play, the closest would probably be JMU or WKU, but I don't think ODU has a "true" rival as of right now.
With the disdain expressed by some on this board about playing Liberty, and being an instate team, could LU become the nemesis of ODU? There are many LU fans who think ODU will evolve as LU's first FBS rival.
04-20-2017 08:44 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
I think it will end up being Charlotte. I can see Liberty as well if they can establish themselves.

I kinda feel like Marshall is a rival, but I doubt they feel that way about us.
04-20-2017 08:46 AM
MonarchManiac Online
Heisman

I have no disdain for playing Liberty. Our last game was competitive and exciting. But no - I do not see LU becoming a football rival.
04-20-2017 08:48 AM
MonarchCAM Offline
Special Teams

Yeah, there's no real hate with LU. I could see some hate developing with WKU; especially if we're close in the standings again. After the brawl, and the no circle of unity thing. ...of course, we'd have to beat them at some point first. And they already have a rival in conference.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 08:53 AM by MonarchCAM.)
04-20-2017 08:51 AM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

(04-20-2017 08:44 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  With the disdain expressed by some on this board about playing Liberty, and being an instate team, could LU become the nemesis of ODU? There are many LU fans who think ODU will evolve as LU's first FBS rival.

Won't happen. We don't have any open dates until 2021 and its kind of hard to build a rivarly without playing annually.
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

(04-20-2017 08:44 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(04-20-2017 08:39 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  As a true rivalry game? ODU doesn't really have one yet. Back when we were in FCS that game would easily be against JMU, but we haven't played JMU in years and it couldn't be a true rivalry since there would be no home and home scheduling. This also applies to Norfolk State ("The Crosstown Showdown") and William and Mary ("The Battle for the Silver Mace").

With the disdain expressed by some on this board about playing Liberty, and being an instate team, could LU become the nemesis of ODU? There are many LU fans who think ODU will evolve as LU's first FBS rival.

It's certainly possible, but LU's gotta get on ODU's schedule first. Right now ODU has their OOC schedule booked through 2020. And I don't know how interested ODU is in playing LU regularly. The games between ODU and LU have been tight contests so far, though, so anything's possible.

(04-20-2017 08:46 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I think it will end up being Charlotte. I can see Liberty as well if they can establish themselves.

I thought about adding them in my first post, but I agree that they probably don't consider it a rivalry yet. It takes 2 to tango and a lot of Marshall fans are probably dismissing last years loss as being due to a bad team rather than a good ODU. Marshall definitely is a possibility going forward though.
NewTimes Offline
All American

Good rivalries are created when the home teams gets crushed by a smug, visiting team that knocks one out of post season contention, or embarasses the home team. Losses cause that dislike for the opposing team, not wins. Losses that hurt.
04-20-2017 08:52 AM
MonarchCAM Offline
Special Teams

(04-20-2017 08:52 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  Good rivalries are created when the home teams gets crushed by a smug, visiting team that knocks one out of post season contention, or embarasses the home team. Losses cause that dislike for the opposing team, not wins. Losses that hurt.
You mean like FAU? We don't really care about them though.
04-20-2017 08:55 AM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

(04-20-2017 08:55 AM)MonarchCAM Wrote:  
(04-20-2017 08:52 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  Good rivalries are created when the home teams gets crushed by a smug, visiting team that knocks one out of post season contention, or embarasses the home team. Losses cause that dislike for the opposing team, not wins. Losses that hurt.
You mean like FAU? We don't really care about them though.

I think MTSU's shellacking of us on our first Friday night game on FS1 counts too. ODU beating La Tech in what should have been their go-ahead for the western championship would probably apply.
04-20-2017 08:57 AM
Advertisement

cmett003 Offline
All American

My beef with C-USA is they dont schedule any existing/potential rivalry games during rivalry week. I mean thats a no brainer and C-USA cant get the simplest things right. Its annoying as hell. We have played FAU each of the last 3 years and now we play Middle this year. While Middle is better than FAU, FAU is playing WKU which make zero sense. C-USA is doing no favors for schools during rivalry week. IMO C-USA is doing a terrible job building a brand, its supposed to be that if you are in dead last and you play your arch rival at the end of the year thats the only thing that matters and everyone goes to attend the game. While I know C-USA is growing and they are not like Ohio State vs Michigan. At least give the teams a chance to develop a rivalry instead of scheduling these bogus matchups that make no one care about the last game of the year.

C-USA games that need to be played during rivalry week:

Marshall vs WKU
ODU vs Charlotte
FAU vs FIU
Southern Miss vs La Tech
NT vs UTSA
Rice vs UTEP
Middle vs UAB

I mean come on this is not rocket science and C-USA screws it up every year.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 09:02 AM by cmett003.)
04-20-2017 08:59 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(04-20-2017 08:59 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  My beef with C-USA is they dont schedule any existing/potential rivalry games during rivalry week. I mean thats a no brainer and C-USA cant get the simplest things right. Its annoying as hell. We have played FAU each of the last 3 years and now we play Middle this year. While Middle is better than FAU, FAU is playing WKU which make zero sense. C-USA is doing no favors for schools during rivalry week. IMO C-USA is doing a terrible job building a brand, its supposed to be that if you are in dead last and you play your arch rival at the end of the year thats the only thing that matters and everyone goes to attend the game. While I know C-USA is growing and they are not like Ohio State vs Michigan. At least give the teams a chance to develop a rivalry instead of scheduling these bogus matchups that make no one care about the last game of the year.

C-USA games that need to be played during rivalry week:

Marshall vs WKU
ODU vs Charlotte
FAU vs FIU
Southern Miss vs La Tech
NT vs UTSA
Rice vs UTEP
Middle vs UAB

I mean come on this is not rocket science and C-USA screws it up every year.
Good point. The Liberty vs. Coastal FB was always the last game of the year and for 3 or 4 years in a row, the winner of that game determined who went to the FCS playoff as the Big South Conference was a 1 bid conference. The game was even moved to a Thursday night to generate more viewers and less Saturday competition for viewers. Two years in a row, either LU or Coastal knocked the other out with last second blocked kicks. With all the challenges of playing in a weak FCS conference, that is one thing the BSC got right. That's placing the 2 best teams to play in the most important, final game of the year. Coastal was clearly LU's biggest rival.
04-20-2017 09:27 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

It should eventually be Charlotte. We just need them to take a game from us and the fans will dislike them fast enough.

If you recall your SATs

ODU : Char :: WKU : ODU

I don't think WKU cares much about us and won't care much about us until we can prove that we can beat them. Same could be said for MTSU.

Marshall is weird.

Our biggest rival might be UTEP we even have a hashtag #2000milesofmilddistain
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 12:16 PM by odu09.)
04-20-2017 09:44 AM
MonarchCAM Offline
Special Teams

La Tech had potential. We shocked them, hurt them, then... never played ever again.
04-20-2017 09:59 AM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

ODU > Chowan 2x
ODU > JMU 2x

Therefore:
JMU = Chowan
(Neither are our rival)
04-20-2017 11:22 AM
Advertisement

GhentFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU YALE MN NDSU
(04-20-2017 08:46 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I think it will end up being Charlotte. I can see Liberty as well if they can establish themselves.

I want it to be UNCC so bad.

They are close by and I f'in hate their 49er logo.
04-20-2017 01:53 PM
MonarchManiac Online
Heisman

University of North Carolina at Charlotte will never be our rival. Because they will never beat us. :-)
04-20-2017 02:28 PM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

I'd love to have a rivalry with LU.
04-20-2017 02:39 PM
ODU_NYG Online
All American

(04-20-2017 02:28 PM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  University of North Carolina at Charlotte will never be our rival. Because they will never beat us. :-)

Sadly (for us) this is the same reason we'll never have a real rivarly with MTSU.
04-20-2017 03:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.