Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mike Perrin Will Remain Interim A.D. at Texas Through the 2017-8 Season.
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
This is an interesting hire in 2015. Perrin is a member of the Texas Sports Hall of Fame. He played for Royal at Texas. He's an attorney. He was somewhat suspicious of the Big 12 move for Texas. And he is the perfect fall guy for Texas making what might be an unpopular decision regarding conference affiliation. It would be grossly unfair to any new Texas A.D. to have to shoulder that kind of decision. Perrin is essentially a bullet proof choice to handle such a landmark decision.

Now couple the announcement that he would remain until the conclusion of 2017-8 with two prominent internet pieces last week:

The Corso piece "How Would Texas and Oklahoma Fit Into the SEC" and "Texas and Oklahoma to the Big 10 within 5 Years"

Texas has held talks multiple times with the SEC. Each time however it was a ploy to either gain concessions in their home conference, or potentially a new conference home, or to gain leverage elsewhere.

Since ESPN holds Bevo's tether until 2031 I think the Big 10 speculation pieces are an intentional Texas ploy to gain something. What is yet unclear. I still don't see the Horns moving off to the North and leaving the Aggies playing games against a schedule far more regional than the one Texas would inherit in the Big 10.

They might be trying to force the SEC into taking their buddies. They might be trying to gain concessions from the Big 10. Or they might be bluffing ESPN into permitting them to have what they and Oklahoma really want, their own conference, but enhanced. Or they might be pulling this stuff to gain concessions from the ACC. It's difficult to say because any and all could be going on at the same time. It is after all the Texas way.

But more importantly a timeline has been revealed for a choice IMO. Perrin is the guy to handle whatever scenario could play out. So a decision by Texas is what I expect by July or early August of 2018. Spring Sports are over and Summer Sports about concluded by the end of June. Texas will have to announce candidates for the A.D. job somewhere about that time and that gives Perrin time to make the move prior to the new guy having to take any subsequent heat for the decision.

I also find the timeline interesting from the standpoint of it only correlating to the start of the ACCN in 2019. This makes me think that Texas is more interested in cajoling the network rather than the Big 10 or SEC. They are either, IMO, seeking concessions in advance of a move to the ACC, or they are making a play for the conversion of the LHN into a Big 12N, but for an expanded Big 12. Either way the timing is optimally appropriate for making a decision impacting 2019 and nothing much else is happening in 2019.

It could be that ESPN is planning a major move prior to the confusion that will ensue between 2022 and 2024 and free of FOX interference if it can do so.

That said I suspect that something like one of these might be in the offing:

1. Texas wants to bring buddies to the ACC for the launch of the ACCN and that has so far not been an acceptable set of terms.

2. Texas wants to rework the failed deal of 2011 and is putting the spurs to ESPN with the Big 10 talk and such a move would be yet another last second Texas leverage reversal designed to put ESPN in a pinch with promises made to the ACC.

3. Texas wants to keep the Big 12, is willing to convert the LHN into a Big 12N, but wants expansion from better brands.

4. Texas and Oklahoma want the SEC and ACC to take enough of the Big 12 for them to leave early. (That's 8 schools between us.)

In any event Perrin is the guy to pull it off, stay beloved of the fan base, and leave a fresh start for a new A.D.

I found it very interesting and just thought I would share it.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2017 12:49 PM by JRsec.)
04-18-2017 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Mike Perrin Will Remain Interim A.D. at Texas Through the 2017-8 Season.
Question...

Would that decision be left in the hands of the AD? The President has the final say doesn't he?
04-18-2017 12:57 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(04-18-2017 12:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  This is an interesting hire in 2015. Perrin is a member of the Texas Sports Hall of Fame. He played for Royal at Texas. He's an attorney. He was somewhat suspicious of the Big 12 move for Texas. And he is the perfect fall guy for Texas making what might be an unpopular decision regarding conference affiliation. It would be grossly unfair to any new Texas A.D. to have to shoulder that kind of decision. Perrin is essentially a bullet proof choice to handle such a landmark decision.

Now couple the announcement that he would remain until the conclusion of 2017-8 with two prominent internet pieces last week:

The Corso piece "How Would Texas and Oklahoma Fit Into the SEC" and "Texas and Oklahoma to the Big 10 within 5 Years"

Texas has held talks multiple times with the SEC. Each time however it was a ploy to either gain concessions in their home conference, or potentially a new conference home, or to gain leverage elsewhere.

Since ESPN holds Bevo's tether until 2031 I think the Big 10 speculation pieces are an intentional Texas ploy to gain something. What is yet unclear. I still don't see the Horns moving off to the North and leaving the Aggies playing games against a schedule far more regional than the one Texas would inherit in the Big 10.

They might be trying to force the SEC into taking their buddies. They might be trying to gain concessions from the Big 10. Or they might be bluffing ESPN into permitting them to have what they and Oklahoma really want, their own conference, but enhanced. Or they might be pulling this stuff to gain concessions from the ACC. It's difficult to say because any and all could be going on at the same time. It is after all the Texas way.

But more importantly a timeline has been revealed for a choice IMO. Perrin is the guy to handle whatever scenario could play out. So a decision by Texas is what I expect by July or early August of 2018. Spring Sports are over and Summer Sports about concluded by the end of June. Texas will have to announce candidates for the A.D. job somewhere about that time and that gives Perrin time to make the move prior to the new guy having to take any subsequent heat for the decision.

I also find the timeline interesting from the standpoint of it only correlating to the start of the ACCN in 2019. This makes me think that Texas is more interested in cajoling the network rather than the Big 10 or SEC. They are either, IMO, seeking concessions in advance of a move to the ACC, or they are making a play for the conversion of the LHN into a Big 12N, but for an expanded Big 12. Either way the timing is optimally appropriate for making a decision impacting 2019 and nothing much else is happening in 2019.

It could be that ESPN is planning a major move prior to the confusion that will ensue between 2022 and 2024 and free of FOX interference if it can do so.

1. Texas wants to bring buddies to the ACC for the launch of the ACCN and that has so far not been an acceptable set of terms.

2. Texas wants to rework the failed deal of 2011 and is putting the spurs to ESPN with the Big 10 talk and such a move would be yet another last second Texas leverage reversal designed to put ESPN in a pinch with promises made to the ACC.

3. Texas wants to keep the Big 12, is willing to convert the LHN into a Big 12N, but wants expansion from better brands.

4. Texas and Oklahoma wants the SEC and ACC to take enough of the Big 12 for them to leave early. (That's 8 schools between us.)

In any event Perrin is the guy to pull it off, stay beloved of the fan base, and leave a fresh start for a new A.D.

1. Texas wants their buddies with them in ACC in time for ACC Network launch or ESPN does to drive up demand?

2. Not following. Texas making money off of Network, they may want a higher quality of production--I could see or understand. Texas to the B1G would have to have a really expensive rights buyout or a golden parachute escape clause that was heavily rumored so long ago.

3. Converting LHN into the B12N shouldn't be that hard to accommodate, it's convincing better brands to join that group given the never ending history of internal turmoil and anarchy.

4. I could see that happening to optimize the launch of the ACC Network. It would seem kind of collusional to find homes for exactly the minimum number of members required to dissolve a conference instantaneously while also pushing Fox out of valuable content they previously paid for. Not to mention lawsuits from two universities during for damages for being left behind. That could change if all B12 schools found P5 homes and Fox gained access to either a share of the ACC Network or a package deal that involved top ACC games and, possibly, SEC games too. JR, your proposal would require a lot of back scratching to get all the ducks lined up to execute that play. It can be done, but would take lots of time.
04-18-2017 01:10 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-18-2017 01:10 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(04-18-2017 12:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  This is an interesting hire in 2015. Perrin is a member of the Texas Sports Hall of Fame. He played for Royal at Texas. He's an attorney. He was somewhat suspicious of the Big 12 move for Texas. And he is the perfect fall guy for Texas making what might be an unpopular decision regarding conference affiliation. It would be grossly unfair to any new Texas A.D. to have to shoulder that kind of decision. Perrin is essentially a bullet proof choice to handle such a landmark decision.

4. Texas and Oklahoma wants the SEC and ACC to take enough of the Big 12 for them to leave early. (That's 8 schools between us.)

1. Texas wants their buddies with them in ACC in time for ACC Network launch or ESPN does to drive up demand?

2. Not following. Texas making money off of Network, they may want a higher quality of production--I could see or understand. Texas to the B1G would have to have a really expensive rights buyout or a golden parachute escape clause that was heavily rumored so long ago.

3. Converting LHN into the B12N shouldn't be that hard to accommodate, it's convincing better brands to join that group given the never ending history of internal turmoil and anarchy.

4. I could see that happening to optimize the launch of the ACC Network. It would seem kind of collusional to find homes for exactly the minimum number of members required to dissolve a conference instantaneously while also pushing Fox out of valuable content they previously paid for. Not to mention lawsuits from two universities during for damages for being left behind. That could change if all B12 schools found P5 homes and Fox gained access to either a share of the ACC Network or a package deal that involved top ACC games and, possibly, SEC games too. JR, your proposal would require a lot of back scratching to get all the ducks lined up to execute that play. It can be done, but would take lots of time.

Not if the Big 12 survived and FOX kept their 50% of the T1 & T2 deals and lost only T3 rights to Oklahoma which would be easily offset by access to better additions. Everything else is 100% in ESPN's hands. "None dare call it treason if it profits."

If Texas keeps a conference. FOX is not monetarily harmed, and those that move all make more money then where is the rub?
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2017 01:43 PM by JRsec.)
04-18-2017 01:27 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Here's what I find interesting.

If Texas is angling for brands to build a Big 12 Network then where are they going to come from? They're not coming from the SEC or ACC. They aren't coming from the Big Ten.

Is it possible that the rumors of the PAC being raided by the Big 12 are true? If not then BYU is the only decent brand on the market that's not already in a P5 league.
04-18-2017 02:13 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-18-2017 02:13 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Here's what I find interesting.

If Texas is angling for brands to build a Big 12 Network then where are they going to come from? They're not coming from the SEC or ACC. They aren't coming from the Big Ten.

Is it possible that the rumors of the PAC being raided by the Big 12 are true? If not then BYU is the only decent brand on the market that's not already in a P5 league.

If they want out early and the ACC is to survive and prosper then they need to do something like this:

Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech or Baylor and Notre Dame to the ACC.

West Virginia, O.S.U. or T.C.U., Virginia Tech and N.C. State to the SEC.

Then the ACC becomes:

Boston College, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia

Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Wake Forest

Iowa State, Kansas, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech or Baylor

Then the SEC becomes:

Arkansas, L.S.U., Missouri, Mississippi, T.C.U./or Oklahoma State, Texas A&M

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt

Kentucky, N.C. State, Tennessee, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, West Virginia.

Sanction Baylor taking away their conference vote and 7 dissolve the conference.

Personally I think the PAC would take Texas Tech and T.C.U. for the markets. So maybe you can get this done with 9.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2017 03:16 PM by JRsec.)
04-18-2017 03:15 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

(04-18-2017 12:57 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Question...

Would that decision be left in the hands of the AD? The President has the final say doesn't he?

The AD can get the ball rolling and heavily influence things, but you always need the President to sign off on such a huge move.
04-18-2017 05:46 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-18-2017 05:46 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

The AD can get the ball rolling and heavily influence things, but you always need the President to sign off on such a huge move.

And the president has no better cover than a popular outgoing A.D.. Perrin has the teflon coattails that the president needs.
04-18-2017 05:59 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(04-18-2017 05:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

And the president has no better cover than a popular outgoing A.D.. Perrin has the teflon coattails that the president needs.

Texas also has state politicians to skirt around if they wish ditch their little brothers. If not, move them to the ACC with a small group.

Anyway, I don't see any correlation between Corso and two ice hockey radio jockeys having anything to do with Perrin staying on for an extra year. Now if Texas was wanting to hire a Texas guy with great experience in recent P5 college football realignment, maybe they should hire West Virginia 's old AD Oliver Luck.
04-18-2017 08:34 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-18-2017 08:34 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

Texas also has state politicians to skirt around if they wish ditch their little brothers. If not, move them to the ACC with a small group.

Anyway, I don't see any correlation between Corso and two ice hockey radio jockeys having anything to do with Perrin staying on for an extra year. Now if Texas was wanting to hire a Texas guy with great experience in recent P5 college football realignment, maybe they should hire West Virginia 's old AD Oliver Luck.

Murrdcu I get a little tired of people putting words in my mouth. I didn't say there was a correlation. I said I found it interesting. These kinds of stories find the air because things are slow, and slow times are used to float inside messages. I tied that to the fact that Texas has used these kinds of tactics for leverage as far back as I can remember and that covers a fairly long time. If Texas wanted to move sooner than the expiration of the GOR Perrin is the perfect guy to handle a move that might be considered controversial by the Texas alumni because he is popular with the older folks, meaning the donors.

What I don't believe in are people like Fluguar, Mr. SEC, Barry Trammel, and Clay Travis. They merely report and tell what folks want them to tell. They spread as much disinformation as they spread bonafide information, and probably more.

In the end money will decide the majority of realignment. Fit will be important but not the overriding issue for either the Big 10 or SEC. And it absolutely will be the motivator for the networks because they have stockholders to please and that's why they are in business. So I'll bet on the money every time when it comes to fan prejudices, stories about what schools will and will not do, blackballing hooey, and market models which I railed against in favor of content 7 years ago and throughout the last realignment.

From my vantage point today I only know that I was right. A&M made a great addition because of their content value. Yes they gave us entry into a great market, but A&M vs most of the West is must see and that will always be worth money. Missouri helped us to get the SECN going but right now how much content value are they providing?

The ACC was constructed on the market model and they are the worst paid P5 conference with the lousiest attendance, and the worst viewing numbers. Ooppy do for markets. The old guard of the Big 10 isn't exactly excited about Rutgers or Maryland.

I will listen to interviews given by Mike Slive because he knows why things happen and how they happen and he doesn't lie. What he doesn't say tells you as much as what he does. I listen to Delany and everyone who is not the commissioner of the Big 12. But this approach has apparently never found its way to the internet message board posters.

Every year I post the new numbers for a big danged reason. When we add again it will be with schools that improve our numbers. That means national brands or schools with at least a strong regional following in a large market.

So Virginia Tech or Virginia, North Carolina, Texas, Oklahoma, or Florida State can fill that bill. If we get into a situation of having to take a particular number to facilitate a deal then the average of the schools added need to add to those numbers, or address a stated need. The need possibilities are the contingencies that in a larger move that would include primary targets but might also see a Miami or T.C.U. sneak into a mix of schools.

The Big 10 is going to follow the same philosophy. Both of us prefer contiguous additions.

Texas and Oklahoma are strong enough brands to build a conference around. Whether that is ultimately done or not, the finances and necessary ancillary elements are in place for it to happen. It doesn't mean that it will, but it can't be ruled out. The fact that it could be so much more of a financially sound decision than say an ACCN is the intriguing part to me. We'll see.

But if somebody is added to the SEC they will come from the list of primary targets I provided. Anyone else would be filler, but filler that met a need.

In 7 years of posting here and elsewhere I have not made prediction but I have analyzed available information to talk about scenarios. Attendance, Revenue production, the ability to draw a television audience, are the tools I use. News or comments are the tools of the speculation. And I found out a long time ago in business outside of sports that large powerful entities never put out a story that isn't intended to accomplish something. What they hate is needless talk.

So when Slive says nothing happens for 5 or so years I believe him. When he says that the next moves could lead to very very large conferences, I still believe him, because content and leverage will be the tools for revenue enhancement in the future, because Boomers are dying out a part of the economic model, and because states are having to trim their budgets due to shortfalls in sales tax (partly due to business location deals and partly to a diminishing earning potential and therefore less disposable income among their citizens, and because the downturn in population numbers among the middle class means fewer kids in college going forward which means shrinking higher education budgets.

Put Time, Economic Pressure and Monetary Disparity in a mix and you will get larger conferences, and fewer G5 and P5 schools. That means that the weakest are the ones to diminish, not those associated with the leaders among the ranks.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2017 09:15 PM by JRsec.)
04-18-2017 09:00 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(04-18-2017 09:00 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Murrdcu I get a little tired of people putting words in my mouth. I didn't say there was a correlation. I said I found it interesting.

I didn't put words in your mouth, I said I didn't see a correlation.

I agree that any additions would have to add value or any movement to happen. I also think there will be politics to keep or renew some old rivalries. Also, politics in the organizing the structural organization of very very large conferences and how to "fairly" choose the top 4 teams for the playoffs. Things would get easier for the P5 if the G5 follows through on rumors of creating their own G5 playoff series.[/u]
04-19-2017 01:59 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(04-18-2017 03:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

If they want out early and the ACC is to survive and prosper then they need to do something like this:

Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech or Baylor and Notre Dame to the ACC.

Then the ACC becomes:

Then the SEC becomes:

Sanction Baylor taking away their conference vote and 7 dissolve the conference.

Personally I think the PAC would take Texas Tech and T.C.U. for the markets. So maybe you can get this done with 9.

It does not appear that anyone is going to get out early and the ACC is well positioned to not only survive but to prosper as well.

And word is that an 18 team ACC would pick up: Notre Dame, Texas, TCU and Baylor and the SEC would add Texas Tech and West Virginia.
We'll see, as these rumors seem to crop up almost every day even without input from all of the obvious suspects.
04-19-2017 07:01 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Just for conversation sake let's look at how Texas & Oklahoma could strengthen the B12. There were rumors of the B12 raiding the PAC, let's look at that. Why the PAC? They are poised to become #6 in revenue with limited options. Arizona & Arizona State were the focus of the rumors IIRC, that's 2. Who else & how many more? I would think 2-4 more. I heard it suggested that UCLA would want to get out of the shadows of their state counterparts, that would be huge for the B12. I would think that Colorado would be an easy get in that case.

I would think that this raid would have to include Arizona & Arizona State or it doesn't happen. If not UCLA & Colorado then who else? BYU would have to be a strong candidate. San Diego State would get the B12N into California & would keep the Arizona schools in California as well. Colorado State, Houston & Cincinnati would be good regional schools with large markets.

16? Why not? Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, SD State, Houston & either Colorado State or Cincinnati. Just to spitball, what about a Boise/Gonzaga combo for #16?

Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Arizona State, TT, SD State, Oklahoma State, Baylor

TCU, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, WV, BYU, Colorado State/Cincinnati

I would think that splitting up the B12 would be more likely. One way to do that would be for the SEC to take 4 & the ACC to take 3. Put Baylor on probation & suspend their voting rights.

Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas & WV or Iowa State to the SEC. Texas, TT & TCU to the ACC with ND.
04-19-2017 09:42 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-19-2017 01:59 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(04-18-2017 05:46 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  The AD can get the ball rolling and heavily influence things, but you always need the President to sign off on such a huge move.

Murrdcu I get a little tired of people putting words in my mouth. I didn't say there was a correlation. I said I found it interesting.

I agree that any additions would have to add value or any movement to happen. I also think there will be politics to keep or renew some old rivalries. Also, politics in the organizing the structural organization of very very large conferences and how to "fairly" choose the top 4 teams for the playoffs. Things would get easier for the P5 if the G5 follows through on rumors of creating their own G5 playoff series.[/u]

Got it. It was late when I responded and I misread your intent in the post. Sorry about that! Also, I agree with political aspects as well which is why I covered the kinds of schools that would even be acceptable to finish out a necessary number to complete a deal.

And, I don't think we'll have to way wait too long with regard to G5 playoffs. Most of those AD's know that it is the likely the only, and therefore the best, way for their schools to gain recognition at the end of the day. And they realize the revenue potential of such.
04-19-2017 10:53 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-19-2017 09:42 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Just for conversation sake let's look at how Texas & Oklahoma could strengthen the B12. There were rumors of the B12 raiding the PAC, let's look at that. Why the PAC? They are poised to become #6 in revenue with limited options. Arizona & Arizona State were the focus of the rumors IIRC, that's 2. Who else & how many more? I would think 2-4 more. I heard it suggested that UCLA would want to get out of the shadows of their state counterparts, that would be huge for the B12. I would think that Colorado would be an easy get in that case.

I would think that this raid would have to include Arizona & Arizona State or it doesn't happen. If not UCLA & Colorado then who else? BYU would have to be a strong candidate. San Diego State would get the B12N into California & would keep the Arizona schools in California as well. Colorado State, Houston & Cincinnati would be good regional schools with large markets.

16? Why not? Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, SD State, Houston & either Colorado State or Cincinnati. Just to spitball, what about a Boise/Gonzaga combo for #16?

Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Arizona State, TT, SD State, Oklahoma State, Baylor

TCU, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, WV, BYU, Colorado State/Cincinnati

I would think that splitting up the B12 would be more likely. One way to do that would be for the SEC to take 4 & the ACC to take 3. Put Baylor on probation & suspend their voting rights.

Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas & WV or Iowa State to the SEC. Texas, TT & TCU to the ACC with ND.

Lenville I essentially agree with your ACC / SEC split on schools should we go that route. I could also see an SEC play for Texa-homa should the ACC not cooperate.

As far as the Big 12 raiding the PAC, I think the Arizona schools might be the only option so would two schools from Arizona be worth it? I've wondered if Brigham Young and Utah would consider moving together. I just don't know enough about the intricacies of the politics of those two schools to know for sure. I don't see Colorado moving.

U.C.L.A. as a California state school probably would never move. And while I suspect the same about U.S.C. at least they are private. I'd have to wonder if U.S.C. would consider it if Notre Dame agreed to go all in with the Big 12? I have to wonder if U.S.C. even means that much to Notre Dame anymore? So anyway I just don't see many options past the Arizona schools.

But you did raise the issue of San Diego State. San Diego State currently has stadium issues, but if those were resolved then the two Arizona's, San Diego State and B.Y.U. would seem to me to hold some value, especially as markets. U.N.L.V. might well fall into that same category in a couple of years.
04-19-2017 11:15 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(04-19-2017 10:53 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-19-2017 01:59 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(04-18-2017 05:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  And the president has no better cover than a popular outgoing A.D.. Perrin has the teflon coattails that the president needs.

Got it. It was late when I responded and I misread your intent in the post. Sorry about that! Also, I agree with political aspects as well which is why I covered the kinds of schools that would even be acceptable to finish out a necessary number to complete a deal.

And, I don't think we'll have to way wait too long with regard to G5 playoffs. Most of those AD's know that it is the likely the only, and therefore the best, way for their schools to gain recognition at the end of the day. And they realize the revenue potential of such.

Agreed, most G5 schools would have to have 2-3 seasons in a row with 11-12 wins to get serious consideration for a playoff spot...and you know their coach will be gone way before that happens. I think the G5 playoffs will make those schools money as well as help those top programs earn P5 landing spots just like TCU and WVU did.
04-19-2017 11:16 AM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Everything I'm hearing (from the mid to high level boosters I know) is that while UT is not happy with the current B12, they also have no desire to be "one of the lads" in another conference they don't control. They recognize that on the one hand what they really want is SWC 2.0 (a conference of local/regional rivals that they control and is set up for them to succeed at everyone else's expense) that no other major program (ie the kind that will sell tickets at DKR Stadium) with a choice to be elsewhere wants to be part of that kind of conference and in fact those programs have in fact all tried (most successfully but not all successfully like OU) to leave it.

Recognizing this fact, the idea they now like is what they call Big 14. The idea is that OF COURSE the 4 defectors are miserable now in life without UT and have recognized our error and can be brought home with the promise of reforming the Big 12 into the Big 14 it "should have been" which is this:

B14 South

Texas
Texas A&M
Baylor
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Arkansas

B14 North

Nebraska
Iowa State
Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Colorado
BYU

Now this pie in the sky fantasy is incredibly unlikely since it doesn't address a lot of issues like "no one wants to go back to the B12" and that (of course) they believe that LHN should continues to exist and a B12 network is unnecessary, they'd still "let" ESPN pay them out to roll it into a B12N (they're such team players). It also doesn't explain how you kick out TCU and WVU either.

So while never going to happen, I think it at least shows some of the current mentality among some of the boosters as far as what they want which is UT's own personal conference but with more teams their fans want to play.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2017 11:21 AM by 10thMountain.)
04-19-2017 11:17 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-19-2017 07:01 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Then the ACC becomes:

Then the SEC becomes:

It does not appear that anyone is going to get out early and the ACC is well positioned to not only survive but to prosper as well.

And word is that an 18 team ACC would pick up: Notre Dame, Texas, TCU and Baylor and the SEC would add Texas Tech and West Virginia.
We'll see, as these rumors seem to crop up almost every day even without input from all of the obvious suspects.

Fascinating! Do tell, how? And, X the SEC will not take Tech or W.V.U. without a whopping brand to cover them. Neither adds enough on their own.03-zzz
04-19-2017 11:20 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(04-19-2017 11:17 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  So while never going to happen, I think it at least shows some of the current mentality among some of the boosters as far as what they want which is UT's own personal conference but with more teams their fans want to play.

If that's what they want then I think they're going to be disappointed.
04-19-2017 11:32 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(04-19-2017 11:20 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-19-2017 07:01 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Then the ACC becomes:

Then the SEC becomes:

Fascinating! Do tell, how? And, X the SEC will not take Tech or W.V.U. without a whopping brand to cover them. Neither adds enough on their own.03-zzz

Ultimately even good ol' boys know who butters their bread, and will do as they request.
04-19-2017 12:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.