Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Spring practice news & observations
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Here are some observations from Louisville final open practice this spring. Cards spring game is April 15.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/spo.../99965994/

► Young was called an outside linebacker in Todd Grantham's defense, with Hearns taking his spot last season with Young injured. But while Hearns continues to play that spot under Sirmon and usually is standing up as he lines up on the edge, Young now seems to be playing a down defensive end, and he and Hearns are often on the field together on opposite sides. Young rotates in as a replacement for either Williams or Richardson with Bailey moving inside.
Young continues to impress with his fitness, given his long layoff. If he stays on the field, I think he'll have a big year, and he and Hearns will be a problem on third-and-long. Bobby Petrino has said a goal of his is get a stronger pass rush when bringing only four, and I think a third-down pass rush of, say, Hearns, Young, Bailey and Williams would be as good as anyone's.

► Jeremy Smith is out with an injury, so redshirt freshman Dae Williams got the bulk of the first-team reps at running back, though Trey Smith also received some. I've been naturally skeptical of how explosive Williams would look given his size – he said Tuesday he is 6-foot-3, 235 pounds, and he looks enormous – but he is, in fact, quite mobile, and I continue to be impressed with his burst to the second level of the defense. I'm not sure how good of a fit he'd be for the speed-oriented, read-option approach with Jackson out of the shotgun, but Williams looks like he'll be a strong option out of U of L's power pro-style sets, which the offense has been practicing extensively this spring.
As I mentioned above, the play of the defense seemed to force U of L to throw a lot to the running backs, and Williams was a ready and able receiver.

Running back will be a question mark with the departure of Brandon Radcliff, but the two Smiths, the two Williams and four-star signee Colin Wilson give U of L several big-bodied options, and all the returning guys seem like good blockers and decent receivers.

► Jackson always makes some great throws. Probably my favorite part of watching the open practices is seeing the variety of passes he throws during the various settings (one-on-one, seven-on-seven, 11-on-11), and the way he zooms balls across the field or to the sidelines has led me to believe he remains underrated as a passer. He didn't have any "wow" plays Tuesday like he often does on a play-action deep ball or long post routes, but he had a 25-yarder over the middle to Seth Dawkins late in practice and earlier completions to Bagley and Dez Fitzpatrick that few QBs could make.
04-07-2017 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Spring practice news & observations
Really like the young RS Freshman RB Dae Williams...
04-08-2017 12:12 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

Any truth to Williams being out for the year due to a torn ACL in practice yesterday??? It's being posted on. Coup,e of other sites as well as being posted on a premium site according to some. Just curious for I like what I have read about Dae Williams and can not wait till September to get here so we can see this young man perform. Again curious to know if there is any truth to this for a lot stated they haven't seen it, but others are saying it's to be announced later.
04-08-2017 12:37 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Shaq Wiggins is being barred from transferring to Kentucky, Miss State, ND, Purdue & WKU.
04-08-2017 05:34 PM
Advertisement

BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I read that Jody Demling on Cardinal Authority has said he now has permission to transfer to Miss State.
04-08-2017 06:35 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I am looking forward to the spring game this Saturday. I like the format change from 1's vs 2's to a balanced split of rosters.

I don't think we'll be able to tell much from the game, but at least it will be more entertaining.

I am most curious to see Jawan Pass out there at QB. I've heard all kinds of things about him, but would like to see for myself.
04-13-2017 10:45 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Notes from the Louisville spring game.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/spo...100271950/

Despite the coaches divvying up the starters on both the Red and White teams, the final score of Saturday's Louisville spring game ended up lopsided again. Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson threw for three touchdowns and ran for another in leading the Red to a 52-7 victory over the White at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

► Jackson was outstanding, and the spring game seems to serve as evidence that it was a successful spring as he sought to hone his passing and overall quarterback play. Playing against a defense with first-string players, Jackson dominated, completing 19 of 32 passes for 346 yards and three touchdowns in only about 2 1/2 quarters.

► Fitzpatrick established himself as a breakout candidate for the 2017 season with his nine-catch, 176-yard, two-touchdown day.

One of Louisville's most highly touted 2016 signees, Fitzpatrick lived up to his billing as a polished route runner who has excellent hands and athletic ability. He showed the hands and athletic ability on the two aforementioned jumping receptions he had on Jackson's passes, and the open-field running he had during an 80-yard touchdown. And he showed the route-running on a series of completions over the middle. He also drew Washington into a pass interference early in the third quarter off a savvy move.

► Cornerback Jaire Alexander's combination of speed and physical play figure to make him a household name in the ACC in 2017. He already had a standout year in 2016, but he should be an All-America candidate in the future. Louisville's fastest player (according to 40-yard dash times) weaved his way to an 87-yard interception return for touchdown. He showed his physical style with seven tackles, including two for a loss.

► Fitzpatrick's emergence should make it easier for Petrino to move Reggie Bonnafon to running back full-time if U of L ends up short-handed in the backfield come fall. Bonnafon was excellent at receiver during some of the public spring practices, but he adds a dimension to the Louisville running game with his speed and receiving out of the backfield.

► Speaking of backup QBs, Kyle Bolin said after the game that he's transferring for his final year and that was a completely amicable departure between him and Petrino. Bolin showed during the 2014 Kentucky game and during his various games in the 2015 season (Houston, Syracuse, Virginia most notably) that he's a highly capable starting quarterback. The problem is that he's on the same team as the Heisman winner.
04-17-2017 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.