Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Big West Rejects UC San Diego
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Big West Rejects UC San Diego
Story: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spor...story.html

It should be noted that while the campaign literature says Big West (only), in reality the referendum said D-I conference.

This opens the door for the WAC over the next 18 months.
04-07-2017 12:48 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
RE: Big West Rejects UC San Diego
(04-07-2017 12:48 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Story: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spor...story.html

It should be noted that while the campaign literature says Big West (only), in reality the referendum said D-I conference.

UCSD should back out of Big West membership in men's volleyball then. Complete surprise that the Big West would turn down a higher rated school that any of them. Hawaii and the Cal States must have voted no.
04-07-2017 01:12 AM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

Politics, UC must be balance with CSU

(Dennis Farrell:) “At the end of the day, our board of directors just felt that right now they’re comfortable with the makeup of the conference. They’re comfortable with the balance of the membership. There wasn’t an overriding interest in changing it.”

The Big West is made up of four UC schools (Irvine, Riverside, Santa Barbara, Davis), four Cal State schools (Long Beach, Fullerton, Northridge, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo) and Hawaii, which was the last school to be admitted into the conference in 2012

Put another way, the Big West is waiting for a SDSU (no football stadium when Q is gone, coul be forced to drop sport and out of MWC), SJSU (weakest link of the football schools, but this is a decade plus away scenario), or possibly Sacramento (want Big West but in the Big Sky). The Big West rejected Bakersfield, and pushed aside the original push of UCSD partnering with CSUB, so they are a definite no.

The other comment by Farrell:
I think UC San Diego is still going to be very attractive as a Division I school at some point in time in the future,” he said. “I’m not here to tell them what they should do in the future. There’s nothing negative about UC San Diego. I can only say glowing, positive things about them.”

This seems to suggest The Big West is not interested in being the transition league for UCSD. They want them to be D-I before applying.

California politics pure and simple. I've lived here a long time, and I understand the tension between the two California systems. That is why I have been saying the Big West will push UCSD to go through the WAC first. Now it happened.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 01:39 AM by Stugray2.)
04-07-2017 01:37 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
They're not disclosing who voted what. For all we know, UC Davis could be one of the no votes. After all, they are all alone in northern California. The last thing they might want is yet another SoCal member.

I doubt Hawaii voted no, or cares either way. Playing conference games in San Diego again would be a nice boost for them but it's not a necessity.
04-07-2017 01:40 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

(04-07-2017 01:12 AM)NoDak Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 12:48 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Story: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spor...story.html

UCSD should back out of Big West membership in men's volleyball then. Complete surprise that the Big West would turn down a higher rated school that any of them. Hawaii and the Cal States must have voted no.

I admit, I didn't think the presidents had it in them to reject UCSD. 04-jawdrop

I've also constantly said during this whole process - UC San Diego by themselves is a step backwards. The last thing the conference needs is more SoCal deadweight. Expansion to 12 is the answer. But I admit I thought Grand Canyon and NMSU were the answers. Might be half-right.

If there is expansion, a Cal State will likely have to join as well to maintain the apparently important Cal State - UC balance. Likely Cal State Bakersfield, if interested of course. Then finding #12 becomes an issue. Grand Canyon? NMSU? Seattle? Utah Valley? Portland State?
04-07-2017 01:51 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Chico State or Sonoma State to go with Cal-San Diego in the Big West? How about Dixie State in the Big West? That could make it 12 schools.
04-07-2017 01:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I still think the Big West wants SDSU and their athletic prestige (they can still taste 2012). From the ADs POV UCSD is another UCR. The CSU's are also likely a little worried they are getting pushed to the back of the bus, and I'm sure that was a factor.

Usually a sense of the room is taken, if its obvious the measure is clearly short, you don't take a formal vote, so nobody is recorded. You just say, 'the votes weren't there, we are rejecting your request.' I suspect it was a case that there was not a champion for UCSD in the room.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 02:56 AM by Stugray2.)
04-07-2017 01:55 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

Bakersfield's last two years might change things. Might. An NCAA appearance and NIT semifinal has that effect.
04-07-2017 02:19 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Well, I have to admit I was dead wrong about this. I fully expected the conference to invite UCSD because of the school's institutional and geographic fit with the other conference members and stellar academic reputation.

What stood out to me in the article were Farrell's comments that the current members are "comfortable with the balance of the membership" and "pleased with the balance they have between the UC and Cal State institutions." That suggests to me that enough of the Cal State schools were against adding another UC school to block UCSD's invitation.
04-07-2017 02:44 AM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
WAC gets every break in the book.
i'd never tought WAC could rebuild
time to see who in B-Sky & Southland is intrested
04-07-2017 02:45 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
It's kind of a shame what has become of the Big West. It's become the California public school league, and its politics pretty putrid.

It's bad enough what they do to interstate prospects with travel subsidies. When the real conversation should be "maybe D1 isn't for you," the bloc just circles its wagons, swells its ranks, and becomes this clique bearing a familiar name.

What sucks about this is that if you're the WAC, this is a cheap momentary thrill. UCSD will be with the Big West... the conference is making them pay their dues in the transitional years... as if a conference with schools needing travel assistance for anything more than bus rentals should be pulling such nonsense. Yeah, the WAC will get these guys... and will lose them in less than five years. Nothing to build upon, just passing through.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 04:41 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
04-07-2017 04:39 AM
Advertisement

jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
Surprising
04-07-2017 05:07 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
To me, this is really easy what happened:

- all four UC's, plus Hawaii were firm yes votes
- that means, they needed two of the four CSU's to vote yes. They could only get one, or none of them.

They needed seven votes, not five.

UCSD's path forward is pretty simple, join CSUB in the WAC and try to follow Bakersfield's success on the court.
04-07-2017 09:52 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-07-2017 02:44 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  Well, I have to admit I was dead wrong about this. I fully expected the conference to invite UCSD because of the school's institutional and geographic fit with the other conference members and stellar academic reputation.

What stood out to me in the article were Farrell's comments that the current members are "comfortable with the balance of the membership" and "pleased with the balance they have between the UC and Cal State institutions." That suggests to me that enough of the Cal State schools were against adding another UC school to block UCSD's invitation.

Really surprised me too. I thought UCSD was a lock. They are a top 15 public school. And the Big West is not currently in San Diego. They are already a bus league.

And 9 isn't a good number. They've got Hawaii, 2 in northern California, 6 more or less in Los Angeles (from Santa Barbara to Riverside). 10 works better.
04-07-2017 09:52 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(04-07-2017 01:37 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  the Big West is waiting for a SDSU (no football stadium when Q is gone, could be forced to drop sport and out of MWC), SJSU (weakest link of the football schools, but this is a decade plus away scenario), or possibly Sacramento (want Big West but in the Big Sky). The Big West rejected Bakersfield, and pushed aside the original push of UCSD partnering with CSUB, so they are a definite no.

While Sacramento is a no brainer, and the CSU system should force it to end its sham marriage to the Big Sky as a "differentiator" (03-lol), I don't think any of these three are realistic. SDSU is not leaving the MWC. It has been with that WAC group since the late 70's. It will figure something out for football. San Jose isn't dropping football, and isn't leaving the MWC, now that it finally has a spot at the table that it wants. No more than Fresno will, anyway.

Bakersfield and UCSD would keep the UC/CSU balance in the Big West, and is the only near term solution ...... *if* they want to expand. At this time, they either don't want to, or can't get the votes.

(04-07-2017 01:51 AM)jdgaucho Wrote:  If there is expansion, a Cal State will likely have to join as well to maintain the apparently important Cal State - UC balance. Likely Cal State Bakersfield, if interested of course. Then finding #12 becomes an issue. Grand Canyon? NMSU? Seattle? Utah Valley? Portland State?

Sac St. 05-stirthepot

You lump Hawaii in the the UC's (which is closer to being true than the other way), and call it Even Steven 6 and 6.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 09:58 AM by MplsBison.)
04-07-2017 09:56 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Maybe ucsd and Bakersfield should be a pair to get to 11, than bring back Pacific
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 10:40 AM by bluesox.)
04-07-2017 10:38 AM
Advertisement

jdgaucho Offline
All American

(04-07-2017 09:52 AM)bullet Wrote:  Really surprised me too. I thought UCSD was a lock. They are a top 15 public school. And the Big West is not currently in San Diego. They are already a bus league.

And 9 isn't a good number. They've got Hawaii, 2 in northern California, 6 more or less in Los Angeles (from Santa Barbara to Riverside). 10 works better.

I'm starting to buy into stugray's theory - that the BW is waiting on #10 to be a home run like SDSU in 2012. Otherwise 10 isn't likely to happen as long as Hawaii is around, unless another member from outside California is added. It's either going to be 9 or 12.
04-07-2017 10:49 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

(04-07-2017 02:44 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  Well, I have to admit I was dead wrong about this. I fully expected the conference to invite UCSD because of the school's institutional and geographic fit with the other conference members and stellar academic reputation.

If the BW is rejecting both Cal State Bakersfield and UC San Diego, there has to be more than just academics or the Cal State - UC split. Basketball RPI concerns and the geographic imbalance might have factored in as well.
04-07-2017 10:54 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

It certainly has nothing to do with geography.

You're the only Big West fan in the country, trying to make that an issue.
04-07-2017 11:33 AM
GiveEmTheAxe Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Stanford
This sucks. I was looking forward to more OCC games against the Tritons across all sports.
04-07-2017 11:33 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.