Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How quickly does Wichita State establish itself in the AAC?
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
How quickly does Wichita State establish itself in the AAC?
I wouldn't be shocked to see the Shockers come in and win the league in their first year in it.

Having said that, I have no idea what they return from last year's squad. And I think that Cincy is poised to be a pretty loaded team next year, so the Bearcats will definitely be in the hunt.

But Wichita has competed in, and won very good conferences before. I think that they will be dangerous from the start.

I guess time will tell ... but I wonder about the different perceptions of this move -- the general perception of Wichita State, and the general perception of the strength, or lack of it, of the AAC.
04-06-2017 10:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
RE: How quickly does Wichita State establish itself in the AAC?
(04-06-2017 10:40 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  I wouldn't be shocked to see the Shockers come in and win the league in their first year in it.

Having said that, I have no idea what they return from last year's squad. And I think that Cincy is poised to be a pretty loaded team next year, so the Bearcats will definitely be in the hunt.

But Wichita has competed in, and won very good conferences before. I think that they will be dangerous from the start.

I guess time will tell ... but I wonder about the different perceptions of this move -- the general perception of Wichita State, and the general perception of the strength, or lack of it, of the AAC.

Looks like it will be pretty fast. Wichita State, SMU, and Cincinnati, are universally in everyone Top 25 lists for next year. 04-cheers

[Image: KpR091.jpg]
04-06-2017 10:45 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
1-3 in the first year.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 10:58 PM by DexterDevil.)
04-06-2017 10:58 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-06-2017 10:58 PM)DexterDevil Wrote:  1-3 in the first year.
Pretty sure the American has more than four games in it's conference ...
... oh, wait, you probably didn't mean 1 win, 3 losses, you probably meant 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in the conference.

Yeah, I think the same, 1st-3rd somewhere.

They might trip up once or twice in conference play, and the American conference tournament would be higher risk than they are used to ... though they lost in the MVC final in 2015 and in the semi-final in 2016, so it's a difference in degree, not a difference in kind.

But they bring a lot back, and have some tough OOC games scheduled before the American conference season starts, so they should be fast out of the gate.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 12:36 AM by BruceMcF.)
04-07-2017 12:19 AM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
They return everyone from a 30 win team that took Kentucky to the wire. They will be the favorites and are a top 10 team
04-07-2017 06:04 AM
ShockerDR Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wichita, KState
Anywhere from 1st to 4th (depending on how well UConn plays).

For reference, in Y1 as a member of the Big East, Creighton finished 2nd. Ended as a Top-10 team, earned a 3-seed in the tourney. That's a solid expectation for the Shox, IMO.

And here's a scary thought: Wichita's two most dynamic players are an rS and a J. This could be more than just a one-year wonder like Creighton initially ended up.
04-07-2017 07:02 AM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(04-07-2017 06:04 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  They return everyone from a 30 win team that took Kentucky to the wire. They will be the favorites and are a top 10 team

This. They're poised to go pretty deep in next years tourney. They might have a worse record at the end of the regular season but will likely have a better seed.
04-07-2017 07:10 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
year 1
04-07-2017 07:59 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Immediately.
04-07-2017 08:23 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
They'll be fine. I'm not concerned about their ability to play with the conference.
04-07-2017 08:25 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-07-2017 07:02 AM)ShockerDR Wrote:  Anywhere from 1st to 4th (depending on how well UConn plays).

For reference, in Y1 as a member of the Big East, Creighton finished 2nd. Ended as a Top-10 team, earned a 3-seed in the tourney. That's a solid expectation for the Shox, IMO.

And here's a scary thought: Wichita's two most dynamic players are an rS and a J.
This could be more than just a one-year wonder like Creighton initially ended up.

The best player in Creighton's history, Doug McDermott, had 1 year of eligibility left when the C7 made that choice.
I'm loving the Wichita add in more ways than 1. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 08:34 AM by BigEastHomer.)
04-07-2017 08:31 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Here's what Wichita State brings back next year.

They have 10 players, each of whom averaged more than 12 minutes and 4 points per game. Their high scorer was a sophomore this year, and he averaged 11.5 points per game. A freshman led the team in minutes per game at 26.7.

Collectively, these ten players averaged 189 minutes per game and 78 points per game. Seven of them will be seniors this year, one junior and two sophomores. I don't know what their recruiting class looks like, but they won't need to contribute right away.

They have size, experience and depth, a coach in great demand and a tradition of winning.

I think they'll do OK in the AAC.
04-07-2017 08:55 AM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I Root For: Wichita
(04-07-2017 08:55 AM)ken d Wrote:  Here's what Wichita State brings back next year.

They have 10 players, each of whom averaged more than 12 minutes and 4 points per game. Their high scorer was a sophomore this year, and he averaged 11.5 points per game. A freshman led the team in minutes per game at 26.7.

Collectively, these ten players averaged 189 minutes per game and 78 points per game. Seven of them will be seniors this year, one junior and two sophomores. I don't know what their recruiting class looks like, but they won't need to contribute right away.

They have size, experience and depth, a coach in great demand and a tradition of winning.

Next years class is only 2. One is a JUCO AA combo guard our of Hutch CC and originally from Wichita. The other is a 7 foot, 260 pound Dane who will be a FR. Neither has to make a big impact this year.

One of our FR just had shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum. If he can stay healthy he should take a big step forward. We had another FR this year that has shown a lot of promise and is a top notch athlete but spent most of the summer and fall injured and got a late start.
04-07-2017 09:10 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
5 minutes

As a national pre-season Top 10 they will be favored to win the league
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 09:13 AM by Bearcat2012.)
04-07-2017 09:11 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-07-2017 08:55 AM)ken d Wrote:  Here's what Wichita State brings back next year.

[Image: giphy.gif]
04-07-2017 09:29 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(04-07-2017 08:31 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 07:02 AM)ShockerDR Wrote:  Anywhere from 1st to 4th (depending on how well UConn plays).

And here's a scary thought: Wichita's two most dynamic players are an rS and a J.
This could be more than just a one-year wonder like Creighton initially ended up.

The best player in Creighton's history, Doug McDermott, had 1 year of eligibility left when the C7 made that choice.

Yes, because the Big East only added Creighton because of Doug McDermott. They have made the postseason in men's basketball in three of the four years. Women's basketball made the tournament this year. Men's soccer is very strong. Baseball is strong. Women's volleyball is the best in the conference.

I'm sure you would attack the opinion of anyone saying that the American is only adding Wichita State because of Gregg Marshall too, huh...

01-wingedeagle
04-07-2017 09:32 AM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Today
04-07-2017 07:38 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-07-2017 09:32 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 08:31 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Yes, because the Big East only added Creighton because of Doug McDermott. They have made the postseason in men's basketball in three of the four years. Women's basketball made the tournament this year. Men's soccer is very strong. Baseball is strong. Women's volleyball is the best in the conference.

I'm sure you would attack the opinion of anyone saying that the American is only adding Wichita State because of Gregg Marshall too, huh...

01-wingedeagle

I'm sure the C7 decided to add an island in Nebraska just to allow the Creighton's Women's Volleyball team a bunch of frequent flyer miles to the Northeast to showcase their skills..

07-coffee3
04-07-2017 08:48 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Wichita will go 13-5 in AAC, 21-9 overall, and get an at-large bid.

I don't think that will represent a fall. Rather the team has to learn to play three or four tough opponents in a row. It's a mental thing more than physical. By the 3rd year Marshall will have a squad brought up in the AAC and they wont stumble, 16-2 in conference, 26-5 and get a 4 seed (that's 2020 tournament)
04-08-2017 01:58 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
They will do well. The unknown is how the rest of the AAC will respond. My guess is the existing AAC teams will give WSU their "best shot." Sort of a "you are in the big leagues now," thing.
04-08-2017 08:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.