Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten decides to play fewer Friday night football games
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Big Ten decides to play fewer Friday night football games
Pushback from Big Ten teams not wanting to play on Friday night forced the conference's hand. In today's announcement, Northwestern will not play the two Friday games in 2017 that they had been scheduled to play and those games have been moved back to Saturdays.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...-saturdays
Quote:The Big Ten plans to scale back its plans for Friday night football games moving forward after hearing from a long list of parties affected by the change.

The league announced last fall that its television partners would start to broadcast games on Friday nights, including six contests after the opening Labor Day weekend of the 2017 season. The decision drew criticism from coaches, fans and high school athletic associations.

In an updated schedule released last week, two of those six games -- Northwestern at Maryland on Oct. 13 and Michigan State at Northwestern on Oct. 28 -- were moved back to Saturday kickoff dates. A conference official told ESPN on Monday that moving forward, the league is likely to scale back even further to two or three Friday night games after the opening week per year.
04-03-2017 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Big Ten decides to play fewer Friday night football games
(04-03-2017 02:13 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Pushback from Big Ten teams not wanting to play on Friday night forced the conference's hand. In today's announcement, Northwestern will not play the two Friday games in 2017 that they had been scheduled to play and those games have been moved back to Saturdays.

Quote:The Big Ten plans to scale back its plans for Friday night football games moving forward after hearing from a long list of parties affected by the change.

The league announced last fall that its television partners would start to broadcast games on Friday nights, including six contests after the opening Labor Day weekend of the 2017 season. The decision drew criticism from coaches, fans and high school athletic associations.

In an updated schedule released last week, two of those six games -- Northwestern at Maryland on Oct. 13 and Michigan State at Northwestern on Oct. 28 -- were moved back to Saturday kickoff dates. A conference official told ESPN on Monday that moving forward, the league is likely to scale back even further to two or three Friday night games after the opening week per year.

I don't mind them. I know we would usually be stuck in those time slots and I wouldn't be shocked if we still end up in those against Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois etc to fill the TV obligation of having a few each year.

It's either that or Saturday Noon games with the occasional Sat night game where we get blown out by OSU or UM on national TV.

I loved the Thursday-Friday night games back in the Big East. We had some great Friday games against USF when they had Matt Grothe and Pitt. I'm a boring middle aged man who doesn't go out after work on Fridays so i'm home watching Football anyway.
04-03-2017 02:35 PM
megadrone Offline
1st String

(04-03-2017 02:35 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 02:13 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Pushback from Big Ten teams not wanting to play on Friday night forced the conference's hand. In today's announcement, Northwestern will not play the two Friday games in 2017 that they had been scheduled to play and those games have been moved back to Saturdays.

I don't mind them. I know we would usually be stuck in those time slots and I wouldn't be shocked if we still end up in those against Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois etc to fill the TV obligation of having a few each year.

It's either that or Saturday Noon games with the occasional Sat night game where we get blown out by OSU or UM on national TV.

I loved the Thursday-Friday night games back in the Big East. We had some great Friday games against USF when they had Matt Grothe and Pitt. I'm a boring middle aged man who doesn't go out after work on Fridays so i'm home watching Football anyway.

Same. If I don't have season tickets, it really doesn't bother me. I'm not at high school games (none of my kids played) and we don't have lights on our local field. So I'm probably the demographic that they are trying to hit with Friday night games.

We have had some good night games during the Big East years.
04-03-2017 02:50 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I hate Friday night games. I wish more conferences would push back against them.
04-03-2017 02:54 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
This is good for the aac, great exposure for G5 teams.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2017 03:01 PM by jaredf29.)
04-03-2017 03:01 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California

The games mentioned above, and probably most other Friday games, are games that will probably be on Big Ten Network if played on Saturday. So the TV exposure decision is BTN on Saturday versus FS1 or an ESPN channel on Friday night.

I suppose the argument against the Friday games is: Big Ten teams get enough media exposure already and so don't need to absorb season-ticket holder or community blowback from playing on Friday, in places where that's a factor, and they can live with playing another game or two on BTN if it means playing at a convenient time on Saturday.
04-03-2017 03:09 PM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Does this mean the total tv contract compensation is going to be reduced? This has got to be costing the Big Ten some money, right?
04-03-2017 03:35 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(04-03-2017 02:54 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I hate Friday night games. I wish more conferences would push back against them.

Same here.

The whole point of college football is to market the university. The BEST way to market your university is to entice 50,000 people to come to your beautiful campus for an all-day event.

But who's going to come to your event on a Thursday or Friday night? Only the die-hards who live nearby and already come to campus frequently anyways.
04-03-2017 03:40 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Whimps.
04-03-2017 03:52 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(04-03-2017 02:54 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I hate Friday night games. I wish more conferences would push back against them.
Some of us would kill for them...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
04-03-2017 04:11 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(04-03-2017 04:11 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
Some of us would kill for them...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hahahaha. I hate Friday games, though I suppose they are better than Tuesday and Wednesday
04-03-2017 04:27 PM
Advertisement

UpStreamRedTeam Online
1st String

I liked the Thursday/Friday night games. It always felt like a major event and we also had good crowds. I wouldn't mind one Friday night game a year at all.
04-03-2017 08:05 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-03-2017 03:35 PM)goofus Wrote:  Does this mean the total tv contract compensation is going to be reduced? This has got to be costing the Big Ten some money, right?

Probably.
04-03-2017 08:35 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-03-2017 08:05 PM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  

I liked the Thursday/Friday night games. It always felt like a major event and we also had good crowds. I wouldn't mind one Friday night game a year at all.

Even though Tuesday made more logistical sense for the NFL to add to their Sunday/Monday, Thursday had better viewership so they took over Thursday. Now the TH games don't have as much value for the colleges. Networks are pushing them to Fridays, but a lot of coaches, fans and high schools are pushing back. Don't see the Big 12 or SEC doing much of that. Seems like the Big 10 is backing off. Still might work on the coasts where HS football is not as big.
04-03-2017 08:38 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I remember watching Rutgers and Louisville and Cinci playing on espn about 10 years ago in the Big East 2.0. I'll admit that I watched those games due to the Maction effect: they were the only games on tv. But, there were some pretty memorable games. Rutgers really had a decent squad during that era I have to admit.
04-03-2017 08:39 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(04-03-2017 08:38 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Even though Tuesday made more logistical sense for the NFL to add to their Sunday/Monday, Thursday had better viewership so they took over Thursday. Now the TH games don't have as much value for the colleges. Networks are pushing them to Fridays, but a lot of coaches, fans and high schools are pushing back. Don't see the Big 12 or SEC doing much of that. Seems like the Big 10 is backing off. Still might work on the coasts where HS football is not as big.

I don't see the SEC doing it at all
04-03-2017 08:39 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-03-2017 08:39 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I don't see the SEC doing it at all

Look harder. Here are the last 2 seasons:

W Kentucky at Vanderbilt SECN Thursday 9/03/15 8:00 PM
N Carolina vs. S Carolina ESPN Thursday 9/03/15 6:00 PM
Auburn at Kentucky ESPN Thursday 10/15/15 7:00 PM
Miss. St. at Missouri ESPN Thursday 11/05/15 9:00 PM
Missouri at Arkansas CBS Friday 11/27/15 2:30 PM

Appalachian St. at Tennessee SECN Thursday 9/01/16 7:30 PM
South Carolina at Vanderbilt ESPN Thursday 9/01/16 8:00 PM
LSU at Texas A&M ESPN Thursday 11/24/16 7:30 PM
Arkansas at Missouri CBS Friday 11/25/16 2:30 PM

Yeah, so far it's mostly (7 of 9) on the first and last weeks of the season... but that's how a lot of other conferences started out, too.
04-03-2017 09:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
The P5 with the fewest Thursday/Friday games has been the Big Ten, not the SEC:

TCU at Minnesota ESPN Thursday 9/3 9:00 PM
Iowa at Nebraska ABC Friday 11/27 3:30 PM

Oregon St. at Minnesota BTN Thursday 9/1 9:00 PM
Furman at Michigan St. BTN Friday 9/2 7:00 PM
Nebraska at Iowa ABC Friday 11/25 3:30 PM
04-03-2017 09:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(04-03-2017 09:32 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

W Kentucky at Vanderbilt SECN Thursday 9/03/15 8:00 PM
N Carolina vs. S Carolina ESPN Thursday 9/03/15 6:00 PM
Auburn at Kentucky ESPN Thursday 10/15/15 7:00 PM
Miss. St. at Missouri ESPN Thursday 11/05/15 9:00 PM
Missouri at Arkansas CBS Friday 11/27/15 2:30 PM

Appalachian St. at Tennessee SECN Thursday 9/01/16 7:30 PM
South Carolina at Vanderbilt ESPN Thursday 9/01/16 8:00 PM
LSU at Texas A&M ESPN Thursday 11/24/16 7:30 PM
Arkansas at Missouri CBS Friday 11/25/16 2:30 PM

Yeah, so far it's mostly (7 of 9) on the first and last weeks of the season... but that's how a lot of other conferences started out, too.

I don't count opening weekend or Thanksgiving games as "weekday" games. Those have ALWAYS been around.
04-04-2017 06:57 AM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
(04-03-2017 09:32 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

03-banghead
Appalachian St. at Tennessee SECN Thursday 9/01/16 7:30 PM Opening Weekdend
South Carolina at Vanderbilt ESPN Thursday 9/01/16 8:00 PM Opening Weekdend
LSU at Texas A&M ESPN Thursday 11/24/16 7:30 PM Thanksgiving
Arkansas at Missouri CBS Friday 11/25/16 2:30 PM Thanksgiving

Yeah, so far it's mostly (7 of 9) on the first and last weeks of the season... but that's how a lot of other conferences started out, too. SEC wants the Thursday kickoff and Thanksgiving is football weekend, no one works on that Friday so it becomes a Saturday
04-04-2017 07:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.