Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

McCaskill Warns Democrat Donors Of Pitfalls Of Blocking Trump’s Nominee…
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
McCaskill Warns Democrat Donors Of Pitfalls Of Blocking Trump’s Nominee…
[Image: 2mdf9g7.jpg]

Getting nervous about your re-election Claire?

Quote:Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri warned Democratic donors that blocking President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee could have dire consequences, according to audio obtained by The Star.

McCaskill, a Democrat up for re-election in a state Trump won by double digits, told reporters this week that she’s still deciding how to vote on Neil Gorsuch, the federal appellate judge who Trump has tapped to fill the U.S. Supreme Court seat that became vacant when Justice Antonin Scalia died last year.

But in a recording provided to The Star by the Missouri Republican Party, McCaskill lays out the pitfalls of voting against Gorsuch. The GOP did not disclose its source for the audio, which was obtained at a fundraiser Sunday in Springfield.

McCaskill told the fundraiser’s attendees that blocking Gorsuch could result in someone worse being appointed to the court in the future, according to the audio. The recording gives insight into McCaskill’s thought process as the senator, a key swing vote, weighs her decision on Gorsuch.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-...rylink=cpy
03-30-2017 06:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: McCaskill Warns Democrat Donors Of Pitfalls Of Blocking Trump’s Nominee…
When you're right you're right. Kudos senator.
03-30-2017 06:30 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
She's right. This is not a battle they can win, and really since he's just replacing the most conservative justice it really doesn't shift the balance of power anyway. If Ginsburg leaves/dies while Trump is in office that's when they'll have to worry.
03-30-2017 06:42 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(03-30-2017 06:42 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  She's right. This is not a battle they can win, and really since he's just replacing the most conservative justice it really doesn't shift the balance of power anyway. If Ginsburg leaves/dies while Trump is in office that's when they'll have to worry.

Rumors Kennedy stepping down this Summer or next too.

They force the nuclear option now, they're shooting themselves in the foot forever.

Once you go nuke, you never go back...
03-30-2017 06:50 PM
Advertisement

usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(03-30-2017 06:42 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  She's right. This is not a battle they can win, and really since he's just replacing the most conservative justice it really doesn't shift the balance of power anyway. If Ginsburg leaves/dies while Trump is in office that's when they'll have to worry.

Not what the Three Stooges are saying...

03-30-2017 06:53 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo

To say nothing of the fact the GOP, while in the majority, allowed Obama's two very liberal justices to get to a vote.
03-30-2017 07:15 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo
(03-30-2017 06:53 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  

The difference is that Chukie "run em' down and yell" Schumer is safe... Hell a filibuster could even get him more votes in NY.
03-30-2017 07:17 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
I've already tagged this one in the 'duh' category....

they completely finger bang themselves moving forward in the appellate arena...

w/o 4-4-1, they become useless as a party...

don't kid yourself....the trigger finger is 'witchy itchy' with the Donald....
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2017 07:36 PM by stinkfist.)
03-30-2017 07:35 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
She's right, although she knows where her bread is buttered. She's up for reelection in 2018.
03-30-2017 11:02 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(03-30-2017 07:35 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  I've already tagged this one in the 'duh' category....

they completely finger bang themselves moving forward in the appellate arena...

w/o 4-4-1, they become useless as a party...

don't kid yourself....the trigger finger is 'witchy itchy' with the Donald....

I'm not gonna rep you again cause it's starting to look gay, or lonely, or something.

But yep! 5-4, ifn's it gets to that? Buh Bye!
03-31-2017 02:11 AM
Advertisement

swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
I call BS. The GOP is going to confirm Gorsuch either way. Regardless of what the Dems do, Trump will nominate another far-right judge that the GOP will confirm next time. This entire logic that if you play nice now maybe Trump will play nice later is a fallacy.
03-31-2017 03:58 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-30-2017 06:53 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  

What a bunch of sleaze bags.
03-31-2017 05:59 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
You get one bite at the filibuster Apple. You need to use it when at least some on the other side will be sympathetic. No GOP senator will be voting against this nominee
03-31-2017 06:14 AM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(03-31-2017 03:58 AM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  I call BS. The GOP is going to confirm Gorsuch either way. Regardless of what the Dems do, Trump will nominate another far-right judge that the GOP will confirm next time. This entire logic that if you play nice now maybe Trump will play nice later is a fallacy.

Gorsuch is not even as far right as the guy he's replacing. Despite the threats the GOP doesn't actually want to use the nuclear option, because long term it could allow the Dems to just shove through any activist judge they want when the shoe is on the other foot (and it will be at some point). They will keep up the view that they are resisting anything Trump does, but when push comes to shove they need to just pass him.
03-31-2017 06:30 AM
LeFlâneur Offline
Banned

I Root For: USC
The history of Supreme Court nominees had been one of comity.

That changed during the nomination of Robert Bork, when Democrats first unilaterally tried to destroy a Republican nominee. It was followed by the attempt by the Democrats to block Clarence Thomas.

What followed were two liberals, Ginsberg and Breyer, who sailed through the Senate.

The Dems then put on their obstructionist hats with Alito.

Even after the Republicans realized that Democrats could not be expected to adhere to tradition, the Republicans voted for Kagan and Sotomayer.

Then, in an effort to pack the DC Court of Appeals, Harry Reid nuked the filibuster.

And VP candidate Tim Kaine told supporters that "when Hillary won and the Dems took back the Senate"(lol) they would nuke the SCOTUS filibuster.

Time for the Republicans to stop this kabuki and nuke cloture.

Oh yeah, the filibuster on SCOTUS is unconstitutional.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2017 07:35 AM by LeFlâneur.)
03-31-2017 07:33 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-30-2017 06:30 PM)solohawks Wrote:  When you're right you're right. Kudos senator.

It doesn't matter if she's right... they're hitting her hard here in Missouri with ads about her approval of three anti-gun Supreme Court justices...

And she KNOWS if Gorsuch isn't appointed, she's losing her seat next year, no ifs, ands, or buts.
03-31-2017 08:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.