Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Some NCAAT data
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Some NCAAT data
Since the 2010-11 season, teams from eleven conferences have dominated the tournament. I thought it would be interesting to look at the data to see which conferences are the most (and least) dominated by their two best performing teams. The following numbers are the percentage of total conference units earned (games won + appearances) that were earned by the two top earning schools (a high number is bad, a low number good, IMO):

MVC... .950
WCC... .839
SEC... .595
AAC... .581
MWC.. .577
PAC... .493
A10... .489
B12... .416
B1G... .372
BE..... .370
ACC... .266

To clarify, these are the total units earned over the seven year span, regardless of what conference each school was a member of when they earned them, divided by the total earned by all the schools currently in that conference. This is intended to show conferences as they are now constituted, not as they were once constituted (realignment plays havoc with these analyses).
03-28-2017 11:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
RE: Some NCAAT data
Jon Wilner gives more useful information

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/28/co...-big-east/
03-28-2017 05:23 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
For years and years I used to say that if you take out Kentucky, SEC basketball is about the same as the Atlantic 10.

Conference memberships have changed (Xavier and Temple swapped for VCU, George Mason, and Davidson), and the SEC has hired some great coaches in recent years so it's not quite true any more. But ken's numbers show that it's still closer to truth than falsehood.
03-28-2017 06:46 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2017 06:46 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  For years and years I used to say that if you take out Kentucky, SEC basketball is about the same as the Atlantic 10.

Conference memberships have changed (Xavier and Temple swapped for VCU, George Mason, and Davidson), and the SEC has hired some great coaches in recent years so it's not quite true any more. But ken's numbers show that it's still closer to truth than falsehood.

If you also take out Florida, it's worse. Between them, KY and FL earned 47 units during that time. The next highest team had 5 (South Carolina had that many this year)!

If Wichita were to join the AAC, it would leave the MVC with only two wins in 7 years, both by Northern Iowa.
03-28-2017 08:52 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Gonzaga and the WCC is similar. If the Big East could handle the geography the WCC would be dead.

The SEC has worked hard to build up Basketball depth. They are no longer the weakling among the power conferences. Frank the Tank said Kansas would not go to the SEC because Basketball was their main sport. But I think he sells the SEC short.
03-28-2017 09:52 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-28-2017 08:52 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(03-28-2017 06:46 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  For years and years I used to say that if you take out Kentucky, SEC basketball is about the same as the Atlantic 10.

If you also take out Florida, it's worse. Between them, KY and FL earned 47 units during that time. The next highest team had 5 (South Carolina had that many this year)!

If Wichita were to join the AAC, it would leave the MVC with only two wins in 7 years, both by Northern Iowa.

Short memories. The SEC was a very solid but underrated conference from the mid-80s when Auburn, Alabama and LSU rose, until about 5-10 years ago. They've been in a slump other than Kentucky since then. For some reason the Pac 12 has been in a similar slump.
03-28-2017 10:55 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2017 10:55 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(03-28-2017 08:52 PM)ken d Wrote:  

Short memories. The SEC was a very solid but underrated conference from the mid-80s when Auburn, Alabama and LSU rose, until about 5-10 years ago. They've been in a slump other than Kentucky since then. For some reason the Pac 12 has been in a similar slump.

Perhaps the SEC is in a slump. But as for short memories, those three schools you mentioned have combined for only 5 Sweet Sixteen appearances in the last 25 years. For many fans, 25 years qualifies as a long time.
03-29-2017 08:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.