UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WaPo Article on Mid-Major Tournament Access
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
WaPo Article on Mid-Major Tournament Access
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spor...-a-chance/

Glad to see a major media outlet write this. The lack of upsets in the 1st round has made this year's tournament one of the most boring in recent memory.

The reason America is infatuated with the tournament (even non-sports fans) is because people love to see the cinderella upset in the first couple days and then that one mid-major team make a deep run. People want to see games like MTSU over Michigan St, Northern Iowa over Texas, UAB over Iowa St, etc. 1st round match ups of Wisconsin vs VT and Michigan vs Oklahoma St are pretty boring. I can see games like this every night during the regular season so why should I care about these 1st round match ups?

If the selection committee doesn't change its methods at least a little bit, it will squander its golden goose. I'm hopeful their move to consider metrics other than RPI like KenPom, Sagarin, etc will help, but I'll believe it when I see it.

It would be great if the NCAA mandated that every major conference team had to play at least one road game at a non-P5 school. 03-cloud9
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2017 11:59 AM by hooverblazer.)
03-18-2017 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlazerPhil Online
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
RE: WaPo Article on Mid-Major Tournament Access
My solution :

No more than half your conference, and a max of 6 teams from one conference.

Each team must have a .600 or better winning % in conference play, including their conference tournament. .595 won't cut it. If your team is 11-7 going into the conference tourney, you better win at least one.

If you win your conference regular season title but fail in the conference​ tournament , you are guaranteed a bid in the play in game if you aren't an at large candidate. Teams here are subject to the prior rule, if you aren't .600 or better in conference, you stay home, but you do get an NIT Auto bid.

NFL type scheduling- each year, a top 10 rpi conference must play a home and home with one team from 2 designated local conferences from the lower 22 conferences weighted by RPI.

i.e. last years #4 SEC team = #5 conference​ RPI - plays OVC team #4 last season H&H, AND plays A-SUN #4 team H & H. And the ncaa mandates the play dates. Dont make a play date, you're not going dancing.

Teams qualifying for the NCAA are ranked by winning %, and no other criteria is used. Your team is 33-1, then you get a #1 seed. No matter the conference you came from. Your team is 18-14, but the selection committee thought you needed to be there (Mich. St), then you get a 16 seed.

2nd, 3rd & 4th place teams from every conference not in the ncaas get an auto bid into the nit if they are over .600 in all games.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2017 12:56 PM by BlazerPhil.)
03-18-2017 12:46 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
This is a serious problem. They have every conceivable advantage, some of them cheat, they either refuse to play you all together or they will only play you at their place, even when they play you they want their own officials sometimes and as I have stated in the past access for NP teams is getting harder and harder almost to the point of exclusion.

The NCAA needs to step in and fix this. If not them someone does.

If you are not in a power league the Committee does not care what you have done. You better win your league tournament or you are not getting in.
03-19-2017 11:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
The NCAA is not interested in fairness between member schools but is interested in TV ratings which it feels depend upon having the usual top teams play as long as possible in their tournament.

If its priority was competition, it would have #1 play a closer seed than #16. It could set up #1 to play #9, #2 play #10 on to #8 playing #16 so that the same gap prevailed across the board.

it could also facilitate top P5 teams playing top G5 teams H&H but don't hold your breath on that one. The top P5 teams like having about 1/3 of their schedule guaranteed wins so they can concentrate on the 2 or 3 competitive teams they can't duck.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 12:37 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
03-19-2017 12:36 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
in a rare twist, i'll agree with BnBF. the only reason the NCAA would step in is if the NCAA cared. they dont. they care about dollar signs...not about the students, not about the institutions, not about fairness or competition.
03-19-2017 02:06 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
The NCAA wants five or six mid majors to advance out of their opening rounds to create the Cinderella effect. When people complain and claim it is a conspiracy that two mid majors are matched up so one will be eliminated, I agree that it is a conspiracy but it is to make sure one advances. They want five or six mid majors to sell the Cinderella story.

However, they want all of those Cinderellaa gone by the second weekend. That is when the big boys are supposed to take over.
03-19-2017 03:16 PM
Advertisement

notnow Offline
1st String

Just like in every competitive league, all teams should play an equal number of home and away games.
Road wins should count more than 1.4 wins in RPI and should be based on actual road wins during the season. If road teams only win 20% of the time they should be valued at 1.8 wins and home losses should count as 1.8 losses. It is tough to win on the road!
Home wins would only be .2 wins under that scenario vs the current .6.
This would eliminate the advantage of buying home games and drive teams to schedule more road games.
The adjustment would be based on current status of home vs road wins and would be adjusted daily.
03-19-2017 03:31 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
All good, except the RPI doesn't really have very much to do with who gets in the tournament any more. The RPI is a distraction for the fans while the committee picks and choose who they want to get in.
03-19-2017 03:34 PM
notnow Offline
1st String

Obviously the selection criteria would need to favor road wins and not who you beat. Winning on the road at WKU, Charlotte, UTEP, UAB, ODU, La Tech, MTSU, Rice, and Marshall must be tough because nobody wants to play those teams on the road.
03-19-2017 05:44 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(03-18-2017 12:46 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  My solution :

Each team must have a .600 or better winning % in conference play, including their conference tournament. .595 won't cut it. If your team is 11-7 going into the conference tourney, you better win at least one.

If you win your conference regular season title but fail in the conference​ tournament , you are guaranteed a bid in the play in game if you aren't an at large candidate. Teams here are subject to the prior rule, if you aren't .600 or better in conference, you stay home, but you do get an NIT Auto bid.

NFL type scheduling- each year, a top 10 rpi conference must play a home and home with one team from 2 designated local conferences from the lower 22 conferences weighted by RPI.

i.e. last years #4 SEC team = #5 conference​ RPI - plays OVC team #4 last season H&H, AND plays A-SUN #4 team H & H. And the ncaa mandates the play dates. Dont make a play date, you're not going dancing.

Teams qualifying for the NCAA are ranked by winning %, and no other criteria is used. Your team is 33-1, then you get a #1 seed. No matter the conference you came from. Your team is 18-14, but the selection committee thought you needed to be there (Mich. St), then you get a 16 seed.

2nd, 3rd & 4th place teams from every conference not in the ncaas get an auto bid into the nit if they are over .600 in all games.

Never, ever blindly allow the conference champ in if they lose in their tournament. When every Smaller conference does this, then what? Why wouldn't you tank for extra credits?

I'm good with half a conference max. I know people harped on Vandy, but I want their schedule encouraged.

There are simple rules that could be put in place that would help things. Only half of your non conference games can be home games is where I would start. I'd love to see what that would do.
03-19-2017 06:56 PM
BlazerPhil Online
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
(03-19-2017 06:56 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

Never, ever blindly allow the conference champ in if they lose in their tournament. When every Smaller conference does this, then what? Why wouldn't you tank for extra credits?

I'm good with half a conference max. I know people harped on Vandy, but I want their schedule encouraged.

There are simple rules that could be put in place that would help things. Only half of your non conference games can be home games is where I would start. I'd love to see what that would do.

I really want to see 2 teams from every conference and rank them 1-64 by winning percentage only. Then play and share the money equally. No more deep run credits, etc. Every team plays, every team should benefit.

The ACC is just about to be 0-8 on the first weekend
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 07:05 PM by BlazerPhil.)
03-19-2017 07:04 PM
Advertisement

BlazerPhil Online
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
Bend over Arkansas, the refs aren't using KY either
03-19-2017 07:16 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

The refs blew a couple of calls, but the Arkansas players made some dumb decisions and missed free throws late. Hard to blame the refs for a loss when your players are screwing up
03-19-2017 07:20 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(03-19-2017 07:04 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  

I really want to see 2 teams from every conference and rank them 1-64 by winning percentage only. Then play and share the money equally. No more deep run credits, etc. Every team plays, every team should benefit.

I wouldn't want to watch that.
03-19-2017 07:20 PM
BlazerPhil Online
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
(03-19-2017 07:20 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

Why not ? It's fair to everyone. The way it is now is just a moneygrab sales job by CBS.
03-19-2017 07:23 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

I agree. Most conferences that only get one team in, deserves only one team.

Leveling the playing field doesn't start with changing the rules on how teams are selected for the tournament. it starts with how teams schedule and how they recruit.
03-19-2017 07:25 PM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(03-19-2017 07:23 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  

Why not ? It's fair to everyone. The way it is now is just a moneygrab sales job by CBS.

Because our sorry ass team spanked sorry ass swac teams this year. I don't want to see them get whacked by the big time schools every year. I want the mid majors to get some more respect, not a free for all letting anybody in.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 07:27 PM by blazers9911.)
03-19-2017 07:26 PM
BlazerPhil Online
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
(03-19-2017 07:20 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  The refs blew a couple of calls, but the Arkansas players made some dumb decisions and missed free throws late. Hard to blame the refs for a loss when your players are screwing up

Zero whistles against UNC in the last 5 min of PT. ARK players got a stop, and unc player walked, charged, walked again, threw up prayer, got bailed out by big camped in lane for 8 seconds, no call.
03-19-2017 07:26 PM
BlazerPhil Online
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
(03-19-2017 07:26 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(03-19-2017 07:23 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  
(03-19-2017 06:56 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  Never, ever blindly allow the conference champ in if they lose in their tournament. When every Smaller conference does this, then what? Why wouldn't you tank for extra credits?

Because our sorry ass team spanked sorry ass swac teams this year. I don't want to see them get whacked by the big time schools every year. I want the mid majors to get some more respect, not a free for all letting anybody in.

One swac team already gets in. But every team in the southeast wears out a swac out of conference schedule.

Imagine how those programs would fare after a few years of getting the same payout as the ACC .
03-19-2017 07:43 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Yes, conferences like the SWAC & a lot of others get squeezed out from the money.

In a fair world you wouldn't get 10 teams from 1 conference in the tournament.
03-19-2017 07:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.