ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blaine taylor got a ton of air time tonight
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Blaine taylor got a ton of air time tonight
He is the top assistant at UC Irvine. They were playing Illinois state tonight.

The espn announcers spent a good 3-4 minutes discussing him and odu (all in a positive light as well thankfully).

They discussed how personable he was and how funny he was in describing his players (which we all already know).

Thankfully he looked good and healthy. Little surprised he's back in coaching again but good luck to him.
03-15-2017 11:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mac Offline
All American

RE: Blaine taylor got a ton of air time tonight
He will be a head coach again. Book it! And he will do well.

I think he is fully recovered from what I've heard and hope it can stay that way. BT is one hell of a coach, did things differently for sue but look at his results (before melt down). Ask Georgetown. Ask Virginia Tech. Ask VCU and Notre Dame. Unfortunately I got to see that melt down a little too close for comfort once but that was then and I'm hoping to see him storming the sidelines again. ODU's all time winning basketball coach, best to BT from Mac or to him, "Pal"!

Two things I'll Never forget about BT. Him tracking me down at a basketball breakfast to thank me for a note I'd sent him at Christmas time. And at one of the outdoor basketball events they had at the bank building downtown. The second year my buddy and I waited for BT to come over near the end. He goes, you two again. I remember last year, you were standing right here by this trash can and I told you why we needed Brandon Johnson on our team, to make Drew Williamson better going against that guy everyday in practice. Things like that mean something, at least to me. I miss seeing him.
03-16-2017 05:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarchfan4life Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ODU
Blaine Taylor did more for ODU basketball than any coach before or since. I saw no need to bash him on a public message board when he was down. Very happy that he is back into coaching. Now that it appears he's conquered his demons, I'd welcome him back to ODU in heartbeat!
03-16-2017 07:51 AM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

It is so great to see Blaine Taylor doing well. I wish him nothig but the best. He's definitely old-schoil, and he knows how to get it done his way.
03-16-2017 07:54 AM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

(03-16-2017 07:51 AM)monarchfan4life Wrote:  Blaine Taylor did more for ODU basketball than any coach before or since. I saw no need to bash him on a public message board when he was down. Very happy that he is back into coaching. Now that it appears he's conquered his demons, I'd welcome him back to ODU in heartbeat!

That would be an interesting debate, the part about BT doing more for ODU hoops than anyone, that on this board would quickly devolve into ****-slinging.

Top candidates to challenge your assertion: Sonny Allen, Paul Webb.
03-16-2017 07:56 AM
mac Offline
All American

All very good coaches Jumpshooter.Sonny allen running Monarchs, some, like Paul Westhead, credit Sonny with the modern fast break. D-!! Champs.
Paul Webb. some big wins, took us into D-1. 25-4 record. 22 game win streak. Beat #1 Depaul. Was the all time win leader.

BT all time win leader at ODU.
Every player on endowed Scholarship by his doing
The basketball breakfasts where the players get up and talk about themselves and get fans involved.
All time season win leader at 28.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 08:13 AM by mac.)
03-16-2017 08:12 AM
Advertisement

ODU79 Offline
Bench Warmer

Glad he's doing well. I met him when he first came to ODU at a alumni picnic at harbor park. My wife and I just got our food and sat down at a table, and he comes over and plops down. At first I didn't realize who he was, only that he was a nice, friendly fellow and very personable. I then realized that this was our new coach and I liked him immediately.
03-16-2017 08:46 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

BT could do greater things at a Mountain West school. He had trouble with our recruiting grounds for whatever reason. I might be older and white, but he isn't a stiff, a suit, or an empty suit. He has a good personality and his players like him once onboard, he just had issues getting players. I'm guessing it had more to do with style of play. Even then, I wondered why Cooper was the last of the line of high quality bigs. Blaine's system and record should have attracted hoards of them. I have trouble believing it is just because he is white considering Will Wade really hasn't missed a beat relative to Shaka with similar recruiting grounds.
03-16-2017 08:46 AM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

I like the man. I had the luxury of starting at odu in fall 09 for our back to back NCAA appearances in 10 and 11. More positive from me than anything

Sent from my SM-G928P using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 09:00 AM by ODUMONARCHZ1.)
03-16-2017 08:59 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Good for Blaine. Shame a small group of ODU fans shredded him for years.
03-16-2017 09:03 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(03-16-2017 09:03 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Good for Blaine. Shame a small group of ODU fans shredded him for years.

We all have an appreciation of BT and I'm positive we're all happy he's healthy and coaching again. But lets not get into revisionist history of his tenure as if those that are critical of what happened have no basis.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 10:14 AM by Monarchist13.)
03-16-2017 09:52 AM
Advertisement

jumpshooter Offline
1st String

Like the man and am happy he appears to have turned his life around. That's enough for me; we've all moved on. Enough already
03-16-2017 09:59 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2017 09:52 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(03-16-2017 09:03 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Good for Blaine. Shame a small group of ODU fans shredded him for years.

We all have an appreciation of BT and I'm positive we're all happy he's healthy and coaching again. But lets not get into revisionist history of his tenure as if those that are critical of what happened have no basis.

He gave us 12 pretty darn good years and had a slip up during 1 season that everyone rightfully moved on from. Luckily Jones was able to get the program back on track in short order; slightly faster than Blaine getting it on tract from Capel.
03-16-2017 10:17 AM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

Giles, you're a glutton for punishment, my man
03-16-2017 10:35 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2017 10:35 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  Giles, you're a glutton for punishment, my man

If you cant take the heat.......lol. I have a handful blocked so when I log in again, it will probably be 2 pages of nothing.
03-16-2017 10:37 AM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

Yeah, I was wondering what "revisionist history" we're referring to. BT is seemingly the benchmark for a successful ODU coach by these same posters now, but they wanted nothing to do with him when he was regularly finishing in the Top 60 during his tenure.
03-16-2017 10:38 AM
Advertisement

MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

Come on kids...play nice. We dont need a bunch of master baiters.
03-16-2017 10:54 AM
Mo Blue Den You Offline
1st String

I met Blaine at U. Pie a couple times and he recognized me after that at every home game and CAA tourney. I always waited and shook his hand as he was very personable. Glad hes doing well and HOPE WE NEVER HAVE TO FACE HIM AS AN OPPOSING COACH.

Keep on rocking Blaine! This Monarch still supports you.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 11:02 AM by Mo Blue Den You.)
03-16-2017 11:01 AM
Quagmire Offline
Special Teams

In a profession full of colorful characters, BT always held his own. I, for one, like the unfiltered guys who make it more fun and interesting since after all, it is entertainment. The "all hat, no horse" line is a classic.
03-16-2017 12:13 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2017 07:51 AM)monarchfan4life Wrote:  Blaine Taylor did more for ODU basketball than any coach before or since. I saw no need to bash him on a public message board when he was down. Very happy that he is back into coaching. Now that it appears he's conquered his demons, I'd welcome him back to ODU in heartbeat!

+1. I do think it would be hard for him to return though considering he knows a lot of people and has familiar haunts in the area. I hope the fresh clean start is doing him good and it seems that it has. He's a winner.
03-16-2017 12:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.