Paul Ryan - How Does This Work Again?
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Paul Ryan - How Does This Work Again?
03-lmfao

What an idiot!

Paul Ryan Doesn't Know How Insurance Works

Quote:Paul Ryan said that insurance cannot work if healthy people have to pay more to subsidize the sick.

This is literally how all insurance works. If someone's house burns down, some of your fire insurance money goes to help that person rebuild. If someone gets sick, some of your premium, healthy person, goes toward that person's coverage. Increasingly, I have come to believe that Paul Ryan is a not particularly bright creature from another world.

In fairness....it was a beautiful power point Paul. 03-lol
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 10:45 AM by Redwingtom.)
03-10-2017 10:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Paul Ryan - How Does This Work Again?
no, that is NOT HOW INSURANCE WORKS. Maybe in LibturdLand, but not in reality.

You would b*tch and moan if this method were applied to your auto insurance, unless you are aa sh*tty driver, in which case you would be thrilled that good drivers are subsidizing your careless ass.
03-10-2017 10:49 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(03-10-2017 10:49 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  no, that is NOT HOW INSURANCE WORKS. Maybe in LibturdLand, but not in reality.

You would b*tch and moan if this method were applied to your auto insurance, unless you are aa sh*tty driver, in which case you would be thrilled that good drivers are subsidizing your careless ass.

Right. The healthy do in fact subsidize the sick, but--people who are more likely to use insurance pay more than those who are unlikely to use it. The problem now is the young (who are unlikely to use health insurance) are being charged far too high a rate while the older Americans are being charged unnaturally low rates. It's causing the young to simply pay the penalty because it's waaaay less than paying for insurance they don't think they really need. That decision by millions of younger Americans is causing Obama Care to collapse.
03-10-2017 11:05 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(03-10-2017 11:05 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 10:49 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  no, that is NOT HOW INSURANCE WORKS. Maybe in LibturdLand, but not in reality.

Right. The healthy do in fact subsidize the sick, but--people who are more likely to use insurance pay more than those who are unlikely to use it. The problem now is the young (who are unlikely to use health insurance) are being charged far too high a rate while the older Americans are being charged unnaturally low rates. It's causing the young to simply pay the penalty because it's waaaay less than paying for insurance they don't think they really need. That decision by millions of younger Americans is causing Obama Care to collapse.

Correct. The healthy subsidizing the sick is how Obamacare works, which is why Obamacare is not insurance. Its redistribution.

This would be like auto insurers having to cover existing damage on someone's car when they totalled it without insurance. Welp, totalled my car, I guess I need to purchase insurance for a month so I can get it repaired.

Another simile of auto insurance is having to purchase parts of the insurance you dont need. If you own a 2000 Plymouth Voyager, you probably dont need "customization" coverage on your vehicle, because it has no customization. But you have to pay for it anyway, to help lower the coverage rate for those who want it.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 11:17 AM by UofMstateU.)
03-10-2017 11:13 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
esquire.com

next.
03-10-2017 11:20 AM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
[Image: C6fdZCOU4AAtDV6.jpg]
03-10-2017 11:33 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-10-2017 11:33 AM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  [Image: C6fdZCOU4AAtDV6.jpg]

Actually, that's how single payer works. It's fine as long as you're well, sucks when you get sick or hurt.
03-10-2017 11:55 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(03-10-2017 10:44 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  03-lmfao

What an idiot!

Quote:Paul Ryan said that insurance cannot work if healthy people have to pay more to subsidize the sick.

This is literally how all insurance works. If someone's house burns down, some of your fire insurance money goes to help that person rebuild. If someone gets sick, some of your premium, healthy person, goes toward that person's coverage. Increasingly, I have come to believe that Paul Ryan is a not particularly bright creature from another world.

Esquire's opinion? Did you watch his presentation in its entirety?
03-10-2017 12:00 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(03-10-2017 11:55 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Actually, that's how single payer works. It's fine as long as you're well, sucks when you get sick or hurt.

yep, and its how Obamacare works if you are working middle class without subsidies. Single payer will simply ensure that it sucks for everyone.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 12:03 PM by UofMstateU.)
03-10-2017 12:03 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
What an idiot!

That's a pretty blatant misrepresentation of both Ryan's comments and how insurance works.

Let's take the house burning down. Yes, if it burns down then everybody helps pay for it with their premiums. But that's not the issue here. If one house is made of straw and has no fire alarm or fire sprinkler and there's no fire department serving the area, does it have the same risk of being destroyed by fire as a brick home with smoke alarms and a sprinkler system with a fire house half a mile away and three fire hydrants within 150 feet? Of course not. Normal insurance puts those two houses in different risk strata and charges them different premiums for fire insurance. Health insurance used to work like that. Obamacare puts them together, or at least squeezes down the premium differential between them. If you charge the brick house the same amount for fire insurance as the straw house, then one is clearly subsidizing the other. Ryan should probably have stated it more like people at a low risk of health problems are subsidizing people at high risk, but his point is nevertheless legitimate if poorly stated.
03-10-2017 12:07 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(03-10-2017 12:03 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 11:55 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

yep, and its how Obamacare works if you are working middle class without subsidies. Single payer will simply ensure that it sucks for everyone.

Single payer = Healthcare Rationing

The reality---do you really want your healthcare to be like getting your drivers license renewed at the DMV?
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 12:09 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-10-2017 12:07 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Single payer = you don't get the health care you need, you get the health care that some bureaucrat put into the budget.
03-10-2017 12:09 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

it is simply mind boggling how libturds do not understand how "insurance" works.
03-10-2017 12:10 PM
LeFlâneur Offline
Banned

I Root For: USC
(03-10-2017 12:07 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
What an idiot!

That's a pretty blatant misrepresentation of both Ryan's comments and how insurance works.

Let's take the house burning down. Yes, if it burns down then everybody helps pay for it with their premiums. But that's not the issue here. If one house is made of straw and has no fire alarm or fire sprinkler and there's no fire department serving the area, does it have the same risk of being destroyed by fire as a brick home with smoke alarms and a sprinkler system with a fire house half a mile away and three fire hydrants within 150 feet? Of course not. Normal insurance puts those two houses in different risk strata and charges them different premiums for fire insurance. Health insurance used to work like that. Obamacare puts them together, or at least squeezes down the premium differential between them. If you charge the brick house the same amount for fire insurance as the straw house, then one is clearly subsidizing the other. Ryan should probably have stated it more like people at a low risk of health problems are subsidizing people at high risk, but his point is nevertheless legitimate if poorly stated.

Don't confuse Tom with an explanation he is incapable of understanding.
03-10-2017 12:16 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-10-2017 12:10 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  it is simply mind boggling how libturds do not understand how "insurance" works.

I think they seriously believe that single payer means that everybody gets all the health care he/she needs, pays nothing for that care, and somehow that ends up costing taxpayers less than what we have now because government is so efficient.
03-10-2017 12:19 PM
LeFlâneur Offline
Banned

I Root For: USC
(03-10-2017 12:19 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 12:10 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  it is simply mind boggling how libturds do not understand how "insurance" works.

I think they seriously believe that single payer means that everybody gets all the health care he/she needs, pays nothing for that care, and somehow that ends up costing taxpayers less than what we have now because government is so efficient.

Time to mention the highly efficient and effective government medical provider called the VA.
03-10-2017 01:03 PM
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Correct. The healthy subsidizing the sick is how Obamacare works, which is why Obamacare is not insurance. Its redistribution.

This would be like auto insurers having to cover existing damage on someone's car when they totalled it without insurance. Welp, totalled my car, I guess I need to purchase insurance for a month so I can get it repaired.

Another simile of auto insurance is having to purchase parts of the insurance you dont need. If you own a 2000 Plymouth Voyager, you probably dont need "customization" coverage on your vehicle, because it has no customization. But you have to pay for it anyway, to help lower the coverage rate for those who want it.
[/quote]

We don't call it customization in Texas we call it "liability" insurance. When one owns on old car that person doesn't buy full comprehensive as the car isn't worth it, it'll be more expensive than the car. With liability insurance you're car doesn't get fixed but if it was your fault the insurance company will take the brunt of fixing the other person's car.
03-10-2017 01:06 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
(03-10-2017 11:13 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 11:05 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Hate to say it but you are in a way subsidizing the bad drivers, specially if you live in a high risk area (high number or accidents, cars stolen, common natural disasters, etc. all drive your rate up), it's certainly not as bad as health insurance though. Not an expert on the insurance side of things but am on the collision repair side.
03-10-2017 02:22 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
(03-10-2017 12:19 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Might as well start regulating diets by giving government ownership over all food so they can distribute what you need. Ban alcohol, tobacco, and firearms. Make strict laws that prevent any kind of potentially dangerous activity. Oh and more and more regulations until the government controls every aspect of everything. Hell, do away with general education sometime in middle school, Mother America will decide which route you take in life job wise from standardized tests when youth reach the age of 10-13. Don't forget the strict speech laws that limit any potential violence you could cause against the state or an individual.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 02:32 PM by DexterDevil.)
03-10-2017 02:29 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
Paul Ryan is a moron.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
03-10-2017 02:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.