NC Central, MEAC
Texas Southern, SWAC
North Dakota, Big Sky
Villanova, Big East
Nevada, MWC
New Orleans, Southland
Middle Tennessee State, C-USA
Princeton, Ivy
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2017 01:16 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
03-04-2017 09:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
RE: NIT AQ's
Jay Bilas is an advocate of regular season conference champs getting the auto-bid. I don't disagree with him.
03-05-2017 02:33 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
The 1 & 2 seeds in the Horizon lost to the 9 & 10 seeds today.

Ohio Valley and Horizon are notorious for having 1 team capable of a 1st round upset (the top 25 Murray team with Payne, a couple 15-1 & 14-2 Belmont teams, Valpo last year) that never get the shot because they blow it in the conference tournament.
03-05-2017 02:43 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(03-05-2017 02:33 AM)esayem Wrote:  Jay Bilas is an advocate of regular season conference champs getting the auto-bid. I don't disagree with him.

Yes. Regular-season champs should get the NCAA tournament autobid.

If you want to do something nice for conference-tournament champs who are not chosen for NCAA at-large bids, you can give them the NIT autobids. 07-coffee3
03-05-2017 03:42 AM
Scoochpooch Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: P4
(03-05-2017 02:33 AM)esayem Wrote:  Jay Bilas is an advocate of regular season conference champs getting the auto-bid. I don't disagree with him.

I can't stand him on most issues but he is rght. The tournaments are exciting but render the regular season absolutely meaningless. Basically the whole point of the regular season is to establish seeding for a conference tournament. That's ludicrous. This could be a major contributor that ratings are so poor until March. Maybe one solution would be to increase the field to 96 to incorporate auto berths for regular season winners.
03-05-2017 08:22 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Yeah, it's not like the regular season titles are won weeks or a month before season's end. The champs have earned something, and it should be more than a NIT bid, but, at least it's not nothing.

Champs shouldn't EVER be playing on another's floor, either. Murray State fell in a Belmont-friendly court their great season, and UNCW is crossing its fingers it doesn't get CoC on pretty much their floor.

Maybe the champ gets a bye to the conference tourney final? Yeah, the opponent gets some momentum, but, who should be playing into this thing again?
03-05-2017 03:17 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

Anticipating the MVC result, where do you seed the Shockers?

If Illinois State doesn't make the NCAAT, here's a NIT 1-seed.
03-05-2017 04:07 PM
Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
Monmouth joins this list, losing to Siena on the Saints home court.
03-05-2017 07:12 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Feel for Monmouth the last couple years.
03-05-2017 07:56 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(03-05-2017 07:12 PM)Rube Dali Wrote:  Monmouth joins this list, losing to Siena on the Saints home court.

27 wins might get them an at large bid. I'm not in favor of some mediocre power conference school with a losing conference record getting in over a team who has dominated their league the last two years.
03-05-2017 08:57 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
If they wish to send the Regular Season Champ, then don't have a conference tournament.
03-05-2017 09:35 PM
Advertisement

CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Siena
(03-05-2017 08:57 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 07:12 PM)Rube Dali Wrote:  Monmouth joins this list, losing to Siena on the Saints home court.

27 wins might get them an at large bid. I'm not in favor of some mediocre power conference school with a losing conference record getting in over a team who has dominated their league the last two years.

I agree. The Hawks are in the RPI Top 50. They scheduled tough. @SC, @UNC, and @Syracuse were all losses, but they beat Princeton at home (RPI rank 49, Ivy League champions) and went 11-2 against RPI 101-200 teams, including a win at Mempis (112). The Times Union Center is a tough place for opposing teams and the loss shouldn't entirely take away from their 17-game streak heading into today. It was a good game. They couldn't gameplan for Siena sophomore guard Nico Clareth, who was questionable to play with a tweaked ankle, but ended up going off 73%, including 7-for-9 from beyond the arc. I'll be annoyed if the committee passes over Monmouth.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2017 10:37 PM by CenterSquarEd.)
03-05-2017 10:35 PM
Heisman

I can live with both ISU and Monmouth not getting in...but who does if not them? This is where the bubble is praying for normalcy with MTSU, UNCW, UTA, the A10, and that BYU is put down in the WCC.

The result of the MVC game was going to complicate the bubble. MAAC did it again...and it's not the kind of conference that can.
03-05-2017 10:47 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(03-05-2017 09:35 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  If they wish to send the Regular Season Champ, then don't have a conference tournament.
No, the Number 2 regular season and Conference Tourney winners should be guaranteed an NIT berth ...

... and of course in many cases for the bigger conferences, winning the Conference Tourney would let a just outside the bubble team play their way into the Big Dance, so it would be worthwhile having for the big conferences on that score alone.
03-05-2017 10:52 PM
Heisman

Bravo, UNCW (especially for pulling it off against Charleston in Charleston!). USD and UNCG? Not so much. More teams for the NIT!
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 12:25 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
03-06-2017 09:06 PM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion

I don't like the idea of tie-breakers determining who goes dancing. You won the regular season, good job. You get preferential seeding in the tournament and no worse than an NIT birth. But this is March, win and advance. The past means nothing.
03-07-2017 09:43 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

(03-07-2017 09:43 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

I don't like the idea of tie-breakers determining who goes dancing. You won the regular season, good job. You get preferential seeding in the tournament and no worse than an NIT birth. But this is March, win and advance. The past means nothing.

If you're in a single-bid conference, you benchmark your season a little differently than in a major one. You can afford to lose in a major conference, and lose often and to bad teams. Bad teams are all you play in some single-bid conferences, and how are you supposed to plan out a season when you can win a conference outright, and still not compete for a national championship?

I used to think coaches skipping out on the mid-majors was about money and recruiting advantages. I think pacing and planning is enough to make a person want to go to a bigger program. A "good enough" team in a major conference doesn't have to sweat losing their conference or conference tournament if they can turn it on in the tournament. A team who gets hot but not hot enough in a small or mid-major conference? They're lucky to even see a tournament. And if one does hit and can go to a tournament...how frequent are the return trips?

It's simply harder to do anything at a smaller program. Monmouth is a perfect example of that. You try and schedule and win what you can, you do a darn fine job at it (win over 80% of your games, and that isn't enough?)...where's the reward? Looking over at Vanderbilt, who might be the first team to ever hit 15-losses and get an at-large...surely this can be better?
03-07-2017 04:19 PM
Heisman

No real madness the last two days with the conference champs. Business as usual in the Patriot and NEC.
03-09-2017 12:17 AM
Heisman

With some of these mid-majors locking up their conference tournaments, I wonder if there's hope for Illinois State, Monmouth, and UTA.

Crazy start to the week...quickly subdued. This could shape up to be one of the most unshackled NIT fields since the AQ. On average, it was close to 30% of the field as AQ. One year was close to 50%. This year, maybe 20%?
03-12-2017 12:21 AM
dxdtdemon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: OSU, Wright St.
Monmouth, Illinois State, UTA, and Akron would all play a better game than the four lowest major conference teams.
03-12-2017 01:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.